Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

the closest we've ever gotten to the stated use case for the system was the two times they reminded us there was a stay at home order because of the plague

also that time they accidentally said that the pickering reactor was going to chernobyl the entire gta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

I've been waiting for a coherent message from the protestors and honestly that's just rude and inconsiderate.

HONK

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Koirhor posted:

are smarties better than m&m’s?

no they're identical

mini m and ms are superior to either due to their higher surface area by mass/volume

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

Have there ever been any actual ecoterroism perpetuated by an eco group? because off hand I always keep thinking of the French false flag sinking that ship
there was that goon who built a bomb to blow up some cows at a dairy farm to save the environment but then got cold feet when he found out that his friends who said they would help him weren't being serious and then got permabanned for posting about it

this website truly is a rich tapestry

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

would have been wild if they did this, uh, three weeks ago

nobody cared 3 weeks ago because it hadn't made anyone who mattered lose money yet

they made a mistake by blocking the bridges, that actually did something and so now the indifferent thumb of god is reaching down from olympus to crush them for daring to tread in his domain

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

So they're both hassling indigenous people, then?

no one of them hassles immigrants instead

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

trying to avoid getting kicked in the head by a horse is a clubbable offence

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

hold on is the judge for this literally named Bourgeois?

lol, and furthermore, lmao

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Futanari Damacy posted:

All of this is to say that I'm pretty sure Harper's coming back as CPC leader probably in time for the next election

will they have updated his software or are still running Harper Vista

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

given that they are protesting in the name of getting the government to gently caress off the fact that they've bumbled rear end backwards into anarcho-communism is less ironic than it would be otherwise but I don't doubt that a lot of them would be faintly horrified if they realized

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

also, for real: fidel castro is justin trudeau's dad, ever since i looked at a picture of trudeau next to pre-beard castro i've never been able to, in good conscience, say otherwise

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Geoid posted:

They're a few committees short of a soviet.

the Share Our Wealth plan is the best defence against communism we've got

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Danaru posted:

I heard on the TV some mealy mouthed bullshit about how it's unnaceptable to call your opponents fascists and Nazis, and I thought "yeah they were waving swastikas I feel pretty good about calling them Nazis"

Then after listening more he was talking about the convoy protestors, the ones waving swastikas, were calling vaccinated people Nazis. Like, how does

Why is everything this way

it's possible that they were so stupid that they somehow came up with the idea of putting swastikas on a flag and waving it around as a way of indicating that they thought the government were Nazis without realizing that it would just make everyone think that they themselves were nazis

It is also possible that they were so stupid that they became Nazis

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

come to think of it It's also possible that both of those things happened at the same time in the same group of people, maybe even in the same individual people

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Futanari Damacy posted:

Apparently the EU has to decide tomorrow whether to continue to receive shipments from Gazprom through pipelines in Ukraine :newlol:

thoroughly debating exactly how limp their limpdick response should be

the options currently on the table are "flaccid", "i was in the pool" and "frightened turtle"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Karach posted:

I've come to understand the ellipsis as the written manifestation of what's actually going on in a chud's brain. like, they have a bunch of disconnected ideas, and they're using long strings of periods to connect them together, instead of, you know, reason or logic or anything at all, really. the ellipses are doing the work of making conspiracies coherent.

you see this if you drop in on a conspiracy chatroom, like those trucker Zello channels. it's just people shouting fragments of talking points to one another, and everybody going "yeah for sure, and that's just like this other thing...", and that other thing gets woven into the tapestry without any criticism. the glue that binds the ideas into a coherent account of the world is implied to these guys - they just know how the ideas all fit together, so it doesn't need to be expressed.

the problems crop up when they try to express their theories to people not in the conspiracy club. they can't make the ideas gel. so the ellipses get deployed as placeholders for an argument.

it's called intuition, you'd get it if you weren't a hylic

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Why did The End of History resonate so strongly in Canada? I know the Liberals see themselves as the natural ruling party and everything, but why did we go all-in? Was it that like Ireland we were still not fully industrialized when the crisis of profitability hit in the 70’s so we were committed to a service economy or something?

I wish I could formulate the thought better but talking to upper middle class Boomers and Gen X in the Toronto suburbs, they really are fully committed to this project, even if they don’t understand it as an ideology or even “political”.

we're in north america so we were in a geographic location where nothing had actually happened in a hundred years anyway, and unlike the US we didn't really consider ourselves a global player that had to go be involved in poo poo so it was very easy for us to get accustomed to the idea that the rest of human history was just going to be one big victory lap

there was nothing to shatter the illusion

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

This is a stupid question, but what do Ford Nation Boomers do with the value of their massively inflated house prices? Say someone bought in Newmarket for $180k in 1991 and it’s worth $1.5m now. If they sell, they would have to buy another massively inflated house, or move to idk Orillia or something to buy a similar house for less money and pocket the difference?

I realize everybody likes seeing the number go up, I’m just wondering how that turn that into money when every other house is also expensive?

they hoard it

that or they reverse-mortgage it, which works great for them but also means that their kids don't get it when they die, further concentrating land ownership outside the hands of people who actually want to live in them

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

trashkatchewan
trashitoba
nova scotrash
prince trashward island
trashbec
trashberta
new trashwick
newtrashland
britrash columbia

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hubbert posted:

which canadian city is kislev

they're all praag

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

How about people shouldn't be in jail unless they were convicted of a crime

while broadly true when you're pretty sure someone is a psychotic murderer sometimes it's worth holding them until their trial date so that they don't just go murder more people

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

she's mayor of mississauga, take that as you will

the city that re-elected a corrupt old white lady for 30 straight years

i live in mississauga and I just assumed we didn't have a mayor and were operating on mad max rules

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

You're in your house, looking out into the snow, when all of a sudden you look down and see your wife. She's coming towards your house after a 12 hour shift. You call down and tell her to shovel the driveway, Jon. Your wife stands in the snow, freezing in the cold, trying to shovel the driveway, but she can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. I mean, you're not helping. Why is that, Jon?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Bleck posted:

what if you don't do drugs, can you just say that you do

just ask for a prescription opioid and come back in a month

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

This is it. I finally believe Conservatives will take a majority next election. There zero chance the Libs can defend this on the campaign trail, even if I it does fit with our ethical / legal framework for MAiD.

this is a potent liberal strategy for swaying conservative voters who are unsatisfied with their party's unwillingness to take a hardline stance on killing all the poors, i expect a sweeping liberal majority

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

can you vote for the bloc quebecois outside of quebec

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Another Bill posted:

what is this a date?

e: If you have time to troll on the internet in the middle of a workday and don't think you have a standard of living higher than 99.9% of the people on the planet today then pull your head out of your rear end

some people are unemployed and homeless and passing the time until their MAID for being poor comes through by scrolling through this deceased homosexual website on mcdonald's wifi or work an atrocious night shift minimum wage job and shitpost for a few hours during the day before attempting to cry/drink themselves into a few hours of fitful, daylit sleep before waking up at 10pm to go lift heavy things for 10 hours or are students renting a single room in a crazy person's house that charges exorbitant rent that has to be paid for with giant student loans that will leave them in crippling debt for most of their natural lifespan

it is entirely possible to have a standard of living that is absolutely loving abysmal but also has free time at noon on a tuesday

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

"well my quality of life keeps going up so maybe you should try not sucking"
"no i won't tell you what my job is"
and
"you should read marx"

are a truly majestic combination of posts

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

eventually the country will get fed up enough with the liberals that they'll vote for literally anybody else

except the ndp, lol

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

it kicks rear end that the rae days guy is now the ambassador to the un and spends his days being unsure on war crimes. there is life after provincial politics

there shouldn't be, all former provincial politicians should be sealed in a soundproof dome and spend their remaining days quietly pondering their many failures

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm going to preempt CSPAM jumping all over the bootlicker thing to say that the symbol is absolutely incomprehensible to me and I am dying to figure out who the gently caress came up with this.

The war the produced record numbers of single and double amputees being represented by a boot is tone-deaf too.

it's an unfortunate choice but i can't think of what else they would have gone with because the only loving symbol this country uses for anything is the same stupid leaf, so the design was inevitably going to be a leaf and some other object that evokes the idea of the military and i can't think of another one of those that wouldn't have been equally bad or worse

i guess they could have gone with a camo pattern leaf which would have worked with the notable issue of being hideously ugly

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

Like yeah, the roaming charges are ridiculous but that is obviously not what is driving up anyone's cell phone bill. When I go international I'm using an eSim that's like $15 that more than covers what I need for the trip.

I have a relatively great phone plan that's only accessible through my employer's group access whatever thing. It's still about twice the price of the first cell phone plan I found from France that has 10x the data and 100% 5G coverage.
With a little searching I'm sure there are better deals and it's the same story in every country in the EU. Some random provider in the UK has 15 GB for 10 pounds etc.

If it was possible it would legitimately be a better deal to subscribe to a european cell phone plan and roam in Canada 100% of the time.

i lived in the US for a while and I just kept my phone plan when I came back to Canada, even the US doesn't suck as bad for this

The only problem it causes is ironically that people on Canadian phone plans get extra charges for texting or calling me, for me it is purely advantageous to permaroam

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

theoretically the point of home ownership is that you own your home and don't have to throw a big chunk of your paycheck into a bottomless pit every month to not be homeless but with how mortgages work now you're basically paying for the privilege of doing your own maintenance

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

Disagree. As of current housing crisis, the major point of home ownership by a long shot is that as long as you continue paying no one can force you out of your home for 'personal use' or renovictions or any other slumlord bs.
2nd reason is being able to do whatever you want with your home and not being at the whims of the landlord who's sure that the air leakage is fine as you pay $800/month in heating.

Finances are pretty low on the list of reasons to buy a home.
there are a number of ways you can be forced out of a home that you are paid up on and theoretically own. Hell there are even a few ways you can be forced out of a home that you have completely paid off and actually literally own.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

you're right, apartments all over europe and the rest of world burn down all the time murdering millions because they only have 1 stairwell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire

i mean, kinda, yeah

it's not like you CAN'T compensate for only having one staircase by other means but lol if you think they're going to do that here

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

you know that more people die in apartment fires here, with 2 stairs, right?

do they?

i mean i had my apartment building catch fire a few years back but like, everyone just left? down the stairs? seems like you don't die if you do that, but if there's only one maybe it's on fire and you can't. i dunno, seems like having 2 staircases isn't so much to ask and that housing prices aren't so loving nuts purely because a second set of stairs is some unsustainable luxury and the free market will correct it if only the man wasn't forcing them to add all these unnecessary stairs

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Surely a "high-rise building" is taller than six stories?

funnily enough the building code definition is 6 stories for residential buildings

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Except our teeth already aren't covered, this would be like advocating that anything to do with our arms get removed from healthcare coverage, because that will create better care for the rest of our bodies.

tbh you only really need one arm, your other arm is a luxury limb and any costs associated with it should be paid out of pocket.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

ah yes, the twin towers, a great example of a four floor apartment building with one stairwell

to be clear the same principle applies for any building that is high enough that a human being will not survive jumping from the top floor. ie: 2 stories or maybe 3 if there's bushes or something you can aim for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

medical assistance in ascending

gravitational assistance in descending