Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Helsing posted:

On some abstract level I feel bad for the people of Calgary but the only visceral emotion I have is a mix of contempt and schadenfreude over the knowledge their province is doomed.

Same, and I Iive here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I'm still in Alberta. I'd be hard pressed to give up the mountains and Kananaskis though.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Reality Protester posted:

Another delegate named Linda — who also did not give her last name — said she worries that a change to the capital gains tax might open the door to the federal government taxing the sale of primary residences.

maybe primary residences should never have been an investment vehicle? oh well, too late now. soft landing.

The horse is long gone for that barn. A home is mostly people's only asset. Taxing primary residences is never going to happen.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

enki42 posted:

Even upsizing / downsizing is still fairly unaffected since whatever you're moving into is changing price the same as your house is.

I don't think this is right. No one is going to move if they can only get 500k on a house they have a 750k mortgage on.

Once peoples houses are worth less then what they owe, they are stuck in place.

Which would work for me, I just want a place to live that's not a poo poo hole run by rear end in a top hat.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Most houses in Calgary not having AC is baffling to me.

It's going to be a bad time for a lot of people.

Historically Calgary cooled off enough at night so you didn't need them. It's one of the best things about Calgary.

I'm guessing there isn't a single ac unit left in Southern alberta right now.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

apatheticman posted:

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/1410257035493462020?s=20

This is the only reason why I don't support catholic churches being burned down.. Kenney gets to play the victim card.

Wait, is this Kenney signalling that he is ok with the burnings? Cause I know he doesn't give two shits about hate crimes.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

human garbage bag posted:

the church burnings should continue until a legitimate attempt is made to bring the genociders to justice. apologies and reparations are not enough, the settlers must show they are willing to punish their own.

And then once some justice had been served, local bands should get possession of all that newly cleared church land.

Good incentive to speed the process along. Or the catholic church is removed from Canada. Seems like a win win.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Why would the church still have any documents about residential schools? I'm sure everything was shredded before the TRC got going.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Methanar posted:

Which book explains to me the Spanish conquest of Poland

How many polish catholics have been set on fire? How many Caribbean catholics have had red paint thrown on them?

Acts of property damage have been done against a large centralized organization. Not people. Not even a faith. An institution.

And to you that property damage is more important then any amount of indigenous lives that have been lost. So go the gently caress back to d&d where it's OK to argue that property is more valuable then human life.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Methanar posted:

A polish church has been vandalized in Edmonton.

At this rate of 10 churches, of varying non-catholic denominations, being attacked a day with seemingly popular public support it probably won't take long?

Do you think a church is a person?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Methanar posted:

It's a community of people.

So how many people in the community were killed when the building they make up burned down?

Or is this a really obtuse Polish joke? Because I think jokes making fun of the polish went out of fashion in the 90s.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Methanar posted:

0 so far.

Go talk to some people who lost their homes in the fort mac fires, or the BC wild fires. They're alive; but I bet they sure wish they didn't lose all their stuff!

So churches aren't made up of people? They are just buildings where people gather and can be replaced with insurance money?

Do you understand that buildings are replaceable and people aren't? Or do you still think buildings are made of people?

What do wildfires have to do with churches made up of people? Stay on topic.

infernal machines posted:

good grief.

i know everyone's just looking to lob some bon mots but you can't ignore the fact that historically attacks on places of worship have been intended to intimidate the people who worship there. the reason people are drawing parallels, disingenuous or otherwise, with attacks against other religious groups is because it's a very obvious kind of connection to make.

Do any catholics feel threatened by this? Have their been any acts of violence even threatened at people? It's not a pogrom against catholics getting started its pent up rage at the institution of the catholic church for very real wrongs committed. Which is very different from going after a group of people because of their beliefs.

Demon_Corsair has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Jul 3, 2021

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Virtual Russian posted:

Lets also not lose sight of the fact that this is a response to a literal genocide finally working its way into the public conciousness. People are getting insanely angry about some buildings being burned, while just gleefully looking past the ever increasing mass grave counter.

It's this. People can shriek about decorum when a church burns down and suddenly the genocide isn't the real issue anymore.

I'll be concerned when angry mobs start lynching priests or attacking people going to mass. I'm not going to be bothered about property that is covered by insurance.

Personally I think the vandalism in Saskatoon with the red paint of all the hands saying we were children (which the church is debating leaving up) is more powerful then burning churches down, but I get the anger.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I legitimately can't tell if Methanar is trolling or an idiot?

People matter more then property. And yeah, it sucks that a congregation doesn't have a place to worship, but buildings can be rebuilt. People can't. And I'm perfectly fine with property being burnt until the loss of life is rectified.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Concrete proof that money does not buy taste.

As a tech bro myself, their posting is a fascinating "road not travelled" to me.

Why if I didn't have any empathy and became and incel or a libertarian. Or worse. A liberal.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

There was an old woman trying to stir poo poo up in the Rexall yesterday by asking people if they even cared that the queen statue was torn down. No one gave a poo poo. Why would you try to rally supporters in a rexall of all places? Methman can you explain this for us?

Pulling down the statue of Vicky probably educated a ton of people on who she was, so it's definitely a net good that it came down.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

co-op is low key the best grocer

You must not buy vegetables. They have some of the worst quality produce out there.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Make it so every building has a card scanner on the front and it only unlocks the doors if you scan your vaccine proof card.

Edit: my gf's thought: busses and trains are free, but you have to scan your card to get on.

Vaccine card? I got a half assed black and white print out each time I got vaccinated. Those aren't gonna scan anywhere.

Did provinces with functional governments actually track who got what shots and make a card with that info?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

redbrouw posted:

You can die of dementia?

You eventually forget how to breathe

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

c-train in Calgary is pretty good (or was when I lived there and they've added a lot of stations since then). the downside is you have to be in Calgary to ride it.

The ctrain is only useful if you are going to or leaving downtown. Other wise you are hosed.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

supersnowman posted:

It really look like the stars have to align for VIA Rail to be a good option.

Calgary doesn’t even have a via terminal, so if I want to take the train, the stars need to align and then I have to drive to Edmonton.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Fidelitious posted:

I don't get it. I don't know much about it, but what's the issue with Holodomor education?

Because if it was actual education it would be taught as a disastrous consequence of trying to speed run industrialization that affected a bunch of Soviet republics.

Instead it’s being taught as a uniquely Ukrainian genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Precambrian Video Games posted:

mad?

Anyway all this talk about lack of investment in public housing is distracting from the real important issues:

https://twitter.com/TheoMoudakis/status/1773321968755880297

I’m at my parents for Easter so I’m getting a massive dose of nightly news and this is a big thing they are pushing right now. Every night it’s either cyber attacks, election meddling or foreign governments cracking down on their Canadian populations.

not really sure why Russian, Iran and China would care so much about an American lapdog.