Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Complete cross-platform play.

And before someone pipes up about it: the entire game is cosmetic, so Steam will not be at a disadvantage.

life_source fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One trick I've been doing lately for turning in treasure is to harpoon the other crew members running treasure back to the ship while you keep an eye out and bring the haul up for them.

HOLY poo poo

EDIT: vvvvv Yeah that trick works great. Nothing like lodging a rowboat full of stuff in the middle of the Reapers hideout.

life_source fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 6, 2020

life_source
May 11, 2008

Game needs more throwing weapons.

Let me hurl a cannon ball at a fool. Let me chuck a coconut at someone. Let me load a coconut into a cannon.

life_source
May 11, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

while my own chainshot went straight through their mast with no effect (multiple times)

Chainshot does not work against skeleton ships. It sucks you learned this the hard way in an unfortunate situation. You probably would have been fine if you had maintained regular shots on deck to kill any cannoneers and on the hull to stop any incomplete repairs.

Many people are very jealous that you got the PvE trifecta without even trying though.

It also sounds like you got the rare "skeleton ship/megalodon does not stop following you ever" bug.

life_source
May 11, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Can't tell if this is worth playing with some friends. What happens if you don't have a full crew of 4 on at the time? What if there are more than 4 of us playing (not necessarily at the same time)> Are you locked out of another crew's boat?

I'm skeptical of the grind and actual content, not the fun with friends stuff. We have 6 of us playing Destiny and only one of us actually plays outside of the designated 3 hour raid time slot. I'm not big on grinding.

There is nothing to grind.

If you have less than 4 you have options. Sloop with 2 people, Brig with 3 people. The only issue is if someone comes online halfway through a session you have to restart the ship completely; there is no upgrading or downgrading to maintain your supply count. There is no option for playing with more than 4 unless you want to perform extended levels of server hopping or finding and convincing a pubbie to aid you.

Content is pretty lackluster. There is stuff to do but most of it is functionally the same. If you aren't in the game to be a true pirate and PvP other people I would not recommend unless you really love sailing because the sailing is really good.

life_source
May 11, 2008

I'm kind of confused but sort of?

You never "set up" a crew the way you have indicated, since you just make a boat and invite whoever you want. People can drop, rejoin, or take an open spot as long as the ship has available spots. Ships aren't locked down as long as you are joining from the friends list.

Ships do not get upgraded. It's all cosmetic.

life_source
May 11, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

So we tried this a few times and couldn't get in the same game so I read some more tips. We all joined our own game at the same time and then put on the reaper flag. Three of the five of us were in the same game so then we consolidated. We ended up having 7 of us on one boat but if anyone from the other boat dies, they're screwed since the boat is who knows where. You can't even go overboard since the siren sends you to your boat.

Also if you're turning in quests I guess we would have to alternate which group does one since the other group doesn't get the quest or the main reward. Same thing for loot, turn ins should be split. Not sure how sustainable it would be.

In general what should a new group of up to 4 focus on? How about one of these multi group alliances?

Glad to hear you are making it work. I was thinking that if you were trying to find something more akin to a Destiny 2 raid you would have to look elsewhere.

You can pretty much do anything you want, depending on how kind your server is being. Several of the bigger activities are dependant on if they actually spawn on your server when you are playing and you are able to get to them. Flame Tornado, Angry Skull Guy, convoys, and Skeleton Forts.

There are also Tall Tales: short, story focused voyages that reward unique cosmetics. I would also suggest doing each kind of voyage from the 3 different companies at least once to see if any of those busyworks are something your crew enjoys.

But really I still think the PvP in this game is the only real draw. Like someone said upthread: A 30K stolen haul is infinitely more satisfying than a 100K haul done by yourself.

Happy sailing.

life_source
May 11, 2008

If you are full up on food it doesn't give you the option to pull it off. Make sure you have less than 5 so you have a space.

life_source
May 11, 2008

Sekhmnet posted:

I'm almost positive that just looting every shipwreck(fishwreck) you see will get you fish faster than actually fishing.

lmfao the cowards way of achieving fish

shameful

life_source
May 11, 2008

No, having the chest anywhere connected to the ship makes it start filling up with water. You can have it on your back hanging from the side ladder and you will start to fill up.

Just pick up Sorrows for the emissary boost and then dump that garbage back in the trash wherever you found it.

life_source
May 11, 2008

Reiley posted:

When firing on a galleon is it important where your cannonballs land? I assume you want to land hits at the waterline so the bottom deck takes on water, but if cannonballs hit the middle deck does that just never produce water until the bottom deck is flooded first?

Correct.

life_source
May 11, 2008

Glagha posted:

If it matters at all we were in a galleon and demolished a skeleton sloop so I dunno, maybe you don't get rewarded for crushing them way under your firepower

No.

It was probably a player ship and they just logged off when they saw you approaching.

life_source
May 11, 2008

treat posted:

The friends I play with don't like PVP much

Yikes.

This sounds harsh, but if you can consider just getting a refund. Screwing with enemy players is the only real part of this game.

I think the only thing you can do to screw with your own party is timing blunderbombs to ruin certain actions that must be held.

life_source
May 11, 2008

No, no, no.

Sorry, it probably sucks to hear this.

Arguably for the second point are the various Tall Tales and a number of in-game achievements that give you different unpurchasable cosmetics.

life_source
May 11, 2008

Hold your buttons opposite where the fish is swimming and spam click when it is fighting. There are 5 degrees of lean: left, left-middle, middle, right-middle, right, so always be holding back. When it's calm you can just click and hold.

life_source
May 11, 2008

Lammasu posted:

I'm using a controller.

I loaded up the game and caught my first fish with a controller to pass on this knowledge:

Hold your left stick opposite where the fish is swimming and spam right trigger when it is fighting/the line is taut. There are 5 degrees of lean: left, left-middle, middle, right-middle, right. When it's calm/the line is slack you can just hold the trigger.

First impression is that it's similarly difficult compared to a mouse. Don't click/pull in the normal way, angle your device so it's easier.

life_source
May 11, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You don't need to spam trigger or the mouse button. It risks breaking the line, just to reduce time slightly.

This has to be wrong because I have a 100% catch rate. I cannot remember the last time I had a line break and I have and will spend hours only fishing because it's intensely calming.

life_source
May 11, 2008

I'll be honest: I have always been under the impression you have to do it that way because the line would break otherwise. It feels wrong to do it any other way now.

life_source
May 11, 2008

Anyone who keeps precious fish anywhere but their body and launches and swims great distances to deliver it doesn't deserve it anyways.

life_source
May 11, 2008

I spent 3 or 4 days grabbing 5 maps from the outpost and then another 5 from the nearest seaspost for a single region and rowboating around. I found nothing of value.

I think this is because if no players have placed maps in a region it automatically creates a map with regular loot. If it didn't do this it would be better because you could feel confident it's a player placed map and you are either getting something of real value or helping someone else by digging it up.

life_source fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 11, 2022

life_source
May 11, 2008

Wasn't that solved by giving you bonus gold when your stuff was dug up and sold? I would have been way more interested in that whole mechanic if I knew I was always helping out another player instead of digging up worthless auto generated skulls and chests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

Kwolok posted:

Got me my first shrouded ghost.

Congratulations & jealous.