Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Screaming Idiot posted:

I mostly agree with your sentiment, but let's not conflate a weird and often gross hobby with mental illness. It both trivializes mental illnesses and insults people who are mostly just regular people having harmless fun in a community who accepts them. Remember that a lot of furries are LGBTQ+ folks who found the furry community to be more accepting of their "deviancy" than more "normal" communities.

Not defending diaperfurs or Nazifurs or other freaks of their ilk, though. They're just pedophiles and fascists who just happen to be furry, not a logical extension of the furry condition.

Diaperfurs are all about adults in diapers. Pedo poo poo is called "cub." There are people in each group who hate the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Beachcomber posted:

In a way, they are. They collect stats on each bull just like baseball players. I think I've even seen trading cards.

Every generation of bulls is theoretically tougher and stronger than the one before.

I remember someone posting some a while back, along with their Wikipedia articles. The articles were obviously made by fans, and were obscure enough to fly under the radar of the weenies who go around sucking the fun out of the writing for being "unencyclopedic." They included inline, non-quotation text with phrases like "facial obliteration."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

spacetoaster posted:

This is dumb. Cities close parks all the time for all kinds of things like construction and cleaning (regular parks have closing hours too). Yes, it's a public park, but we've given the city authority to manage it.

*edit*

Wait, why does Karen have an * now?

Some people suggested that summing up a bunch of negative traits under an explicitly female label might be a bit problematic, and even to the extent it's not is often employed in ways and by people who, uh, have problems with women.

The usual "how dare you tell me what to do" crowd got mad about that, some pretending the word was the problem and mockingly censoring it. Roughly simultaneously some people started using the * ironically to make fun of those people, while others imitated one or the other just because it looked funny. The three are now indistinguishable, making it just another totally vacuous meme.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phlegmish posted:

She didn't ask for his consent and he's had to deal with the consequences of that trauma

I read a book about this when I was a kid. The frog prince had a frog wife and a pond of tadpoles.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mind the walrus posted:

... this to the next well-meaning kid who says "I want to get into comics but I want to start at the beginning and read everything. It's kind-of a fixation I have."

This is only a problem if you think there aren't any comics but American superhero stuff. Which, uh, apparently a lot of people do.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

necroid posted:

wait so the average american has no idea at all that there are other comics in the world that are not superhero garbage?

lol you did it again USA #1

There was a moral panic in the 1950s that led to an equivalent to the film code as far as heavy-handed moral censorship, except even more heavy-handed, and obviously designed to kill off the non superhero genres. The biggest horror comic, Tales From the Crypt, lasted just long enough to stand up a new business plan around Mad Magazine. Most of the others just fell the gently caress over. The only other noncape comic survivors from that era that didn't just leave the industry are, like, Archie.

Now there's zillions of American non super hero comics coming out all the time and most Americans just don't know. Occasionally you even get a movie based on one where people who see it don't realize, like Road to Perdition.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 16, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I went to a korpikaalni/eluvetie concert where folks in the pit would help anyone up who fell, occasionally doing the angry headbang macarena. A person there told me about an In Flames concert she'd gone to where a guy in the pit was actively targeting and bowling over women near the edge but outside, and no one did anything.

Only nonmetal show I've been to was Heilung. Super chill, and way more people with antlers than I expected.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

RFC2324 posted:

sometimes the brain balances fight and flight so perfectly, its locks into a freeze. in humans this is a form of dissociation, could be the same in squirrels?

In other versions of the video you can hear a sound the squirrel is responding to. It had figured out the human wasn't a threat.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Carthag Tuek posted:

the whale shark breathes by sucking water into its mouth and expelling it via its gills, so it would also die if it closed its mouth for too long

It can also clench its gills and blow, forcibly ejecting whatever is in its mouth. This is what happened to a number of scuba divers who got to close and were accidentally sucked in. The world goes dark and fwoomp, you're back in the light.

If the shark were bothered he'd eject them like piscine confetti.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

And in any case, the joke doesn't work in Italian for the obvious reason, so you're equally obviously not intended to pronounce it exactly like a native Italian speaker.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

luxury handset posted:

yeah at best cats would learn that certain sounds are associated with food but really the cat is just trying buttons until something nice happens. cats are social and they show affection but they don't give a poo poo about making people happy like dogs do, cats will make demands and if the demand isn't met they just shrug and do something else

At the same time, they're capable of learning. It doesn't have to understand the word to know that pressing one button results in treats and another results in attention. loving rats can figure that much out.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

RFC2324 posted:

Weird way to spell Guns Akimbo. Daniel Radcliffe getting drunk and trolling the internet is the perfect icing

Everybody knows it's Poultrygeist.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hyperlynx posted:

That's where my money is, too.

It falls down because: under what circumstances would we consider the animals to have "said" nonsense? You can ascribe meaning to just about any random combination of button pushes. And for the ones you can't, it's "oh, you're being silly! Good joke!". That's exactly what happened with Koko the gorilla.

And then, how do you know that the animal actually wanted the particular thing you did? How do you know they're not just happy to eat food when they actually wanted cuddles? What about more abstract concepts? If they step on "pets" "later", how do you know that, if you pet them later, whether or not they connect it with the earlier event?

And are you writing it all down? All the times you or the animal presses a button and what you or the animal do in response? Or are you only recording and uploading to YouTube the highlights which clearly illustrate that you've trained the animal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias)?

Why is this worth posting in the blessed thread?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Both the video and the music are improved by playing at 1.75 :haw:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Stryder posted:

That's super awesome that he built it himself, but it's literally what Blue Man Group has been doing for almost 30 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUb8ybmdBF4

Everyone knows only one person is allowed to do a thing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

https://twitter.com/thegallowboob/status/1330634536007454723

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nohearum posted:

Sentient construction equipment with googly eyes that acts like dinosaurs would be a really cool animated movie. Who has the number for Pixar?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

:getin:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Someone please tell me they have the Photoshop Phriday of this where it's along the lines of "Mike Mulligan's Steamshovel FUCKS poo poo UP". I used to work for a library and I printed that out and had it behind the desk, it's one of my earliest SA memories.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

StandardVC10 posted:

This is extremely blessed, thank you

No problem! :buddy: Mike Mulligan is right up there with Stellaluna and Strega Nona among the most important books of my early childhood.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

whydirt posted:

Aren’t cattails an invasive species? Or am I thinking of something else

They can't be invasive everywhere because they had to come from somewhere.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pookah posted:

I've just been playing Prey, so my immediate urge was to smack it with a wrench.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lodin posted:

Angry cattes, do not gently caress with.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

jre posted:

Not sure how a terrified cat is blessed :smith:

The demo video of that product features a puppy and a small child going through the wash cycle. The cat is just being melodramatic.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sigher posted:

Why is someone putting Owls in a drainage pipe?

Serious answer: those are burrowing owls. They're being released to an artificial burrow.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

RFC2324 posted:

I love huskies so loving much. They are all just such big dumb dorks :kimchi:

That's a malamute. They're like huskies but fluffier.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Popeahuntis posted:

Either Texan or full gangster wanna be New York.
Most other accents don’t translate across here (the UK)
The first time I properly heard a Boston accent was in Ted and I genuinely thought Mark Wahlbergs character was mentally ill and that was going to be the whole punch line of how he can see and hear Ted.

Now you know what it's like for an American to encounter a northern england accent. "Oh come on, that has to be a joke."

Seriously though, way back in like '04 I was playing Rainbow Six 3 on xbox live and I was surprised to find that my English and Scottish team mates couldn't understand the West Virginian who joined the server. I no poo poo had to translate. It was wild.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tree Bucket posted:

Where might salmon fit on this scale?

Sexy as hell. Just look at those pink bellies.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

muscles like this! posted:

This looks like it is two seconds away from just standing up on its hind legs and just being a dog person.

Was just thinking this. And imagining dealing with a dog that's grayhound fast but with husky energy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zopotantor posted:

Although I like this version better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaTISifHaeg

I saw them in a dual headliner with Eluveitie. It was a really fun show.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I hope the people who work there use fish-derived terminology. "Which conference room is the meeting in, head or tail?"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

blight rhino posted:

was going to say the same. looks like it would of maybe missed him, but it's the thought that counts.

I love the snap, snap of him testing his chompers. he is ready

It's like the test snap you do with tongs before actually using them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Skarsnik posted:

Aren't American beans all weird and sweet though?

I probably wouldn't like them on toast either if they were like that

For any question like "aren't/isn't American ______ all ____________" the answer is probably "no." It's a big country and tastes vary.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Skarsnik posted:

I mean your standard baked beans in tomato sauce from a tin, I always thought the reason Americans find it super weird we have them for breakfast in a fry up is that they are a sweet thing over there

Nah

It's more like the reason tacos and pizza aren't breakfast foods, and pancakes aren't for dinner: it just isn't traditional.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ironhead posted:

My man, what part of the US are you in where breakfast tacos or burritos aren't a thing?

Burritos aren't tacos. :colbert:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

necroid posted:

whenever I see incredibly obtuse takes like these I wonder if people ever stop to think that - as far as we know - animals didn't dedicate centuries of their existence to developing ethics, morals, societies, philosophy, technology etc. against all basic survival instincts

an animal is just a very complex machine with varying degrees of intelligence that tries to survive in very rough and direct ways, if you're used to clawing, biting, rending every day of your life to survive it's normal that your idea of fun is to do the exact same thing

how loving stupid is it to say "see animals do it too, it's not just humans who are bad". are you really comparing a human being capable of abstract reasoning and active choices to something that regularly shoves its face in the guts of a decomposing carcass to eat?

Or you can not have this conversation in the blessed thread

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SniperWoreConverse posted:

is there a sound effect that's just "real long snout"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvemPyOJZEY

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

He's clearly got some lab genes, though the leg deficiency indicates additional contributions.

But still, that's the most lab thing. Such gentle creatures.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

This picture makes me happy :unsmith:

Just two besties enjoying the simple pleasure of rolling around on the carpet like idiots.