Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
michaelsoft techbublé

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
our tap water is stupid hard (above 24 °dH) and while it's delicious, it breaks every single appliance and kettle within a few months if you don't regularly decalcify them

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
swiftkey is weirdly one of the only keyboards that can handle multilingual users well. everything else i've tried forces you to switch layouts every time you switch language or their predictive text gets confused, which is a real drag.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

FrozenVent posted:

the iOS keyboard doesn’t care if you switch layouts, it will get confused anyway

also randomly capitalize entire words

CANADA for example

the ios keyboard is exceptionally bad. even worse in my case because my hit ratio for the correct letter on a phone keyboard must be in the single digits

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

lancemantis posted:

someone still operates a 747?

lufthansa, korean air and air china have 747-8s. you can probably fly on a 747 for a few more decades if you really want to

uncurable mlady posted:

i hate embraers

come to brazil

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

eschaton posted:

and slashdot holds the secret to fixing reddit

of course there’s no fix for kuro5hin

+5 insightful

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
i just looked up the hours of sunshine seattle gets annually and it's about 2.200. frankfurt doesn't even get 1.600 and i wouldn't have called the weather here bad or anything.

goddamn that's depressing

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

eschaton posted:

how do Japanese and Korean and Cuban etc. baseball differ from US AL & NL baseball?

korean baseball has cheerleaders

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

there correct

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

ate all the Oreos posted:

i don't really care if i'm seen drinking diet soda, i just want something that doesn't stain my teeth real bad and give me kidney stones

have you tried water

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
lifehack if you like your carbonated water with flavor: put in a few drops of angostura. it’s delicious and not sweet

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

keyboard vomit posted:

Everything is scary

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

don’t sign

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

:hmmyes:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Roosevelt posted:

the first person to try musks hyperloop is going to slam into a wall at 900 mph and he's going to call it a feature, not a bug

which is ironic because usually it's bugs that get squashed

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Tokamak posted:

i'm the hot d

text me

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Wheany posted:

also, the bubel is bursting???

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/26/facebook-on-pace-for-biggest-one-day-loss-in-value-for-any-company-sin.html

the previous records are from the dot-com bubble

hmm let's see what others have to say:

Facebook’s Plunge Shatters Faith in Tech Companies’ Invulnerability

:yeshaha:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

fishmech posted:

its pretty funny how places will be all "oh we don't need to get ac, it never gets hot here" as they have their 29th straight year of major heat waves each summer

ah yes the european approach to public planning

germany has been exceptionally bad at this. new trains with a supposed life of 20 to 30 years ahead of them come with acs that straight up fail in temperatures higher than upper 80s. old buildings cannot be replaced with new ones due to character and are expensively retrofitted with insulation, but nobody installs ac because you don't need it and also you can't. and on and on and on

we are currently in the third week of a heat wave and temperatures regularly reach beyond 95 F ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
i was expecting a parade of "well, actually"s in the replies and i'm pleasantly surprised.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

fishmech posted:

OK Hitler.

is this how you address google phones now

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

fritz posted:

that doesnt sound like deep learning to me

yeah, implementing racism in such a cost-effective way isn't anywhere near disruptive enough

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

also its pretty loving stupid if its supposed to be a tax on goog cause all goog has to do is remove litigants from search results. seems like that would be farm more harmful to the content owner

the trick is that this is only the first step.

basically, you force goog to pay for search results, which will lead to those results disappearing from the results or getting deprioritized or less prominent or whatever. then you yell at google for abusing its monopoly because it determines which sites receive traffic and force it to display the results in fair way (for a certain definition of fair).

this regulation is garbage. (gdpr is hilarious though.)

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

it does but only within the context of this very dumb country.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

infernal machines posted:

some fuckwit is delaying our provincial electrification plans here based on some similar bullshit.

we know how to build catenary systems. we can build them today. if we started building them when the electrification was proposed, we'd be loving done by now. we do not need to invent a new train and build an entire fueling system from scratch ten years from now to make this thing work

absolutely agreed in general. but we have quite a few train lines that do not have enough traffic to justify electrification, never mind the stupid amount of court battles this would create (overhead lines are ugly oh no).
if we can find a better alternative to diesel trains on these specific routes, that's cool.

most bigger routes over here are already electrified or will be, because it's cheaper in the long run.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Stringent posted:

Fishmech has fundamentally misunderstood a key concept. Which direction are the goalposts moving?

where are the goalposts located? if they're in the arctic, we might not be able to figure out their movement via gps. or we might, idk, i stopped reading this poo poo pages ago

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Bulgakov posted:

its really shocking that the future of finance is a mountain of bullshit :eyepop:

thus continuing a strong tradition

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the pseudo-military ranks and general outlook they've historically cultivated has always been real weird. why aren't there grunt cops, they just decided to all be officers

this shirt but instead of an m&m it’s paul blart on a segway

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Krankenstyle posted:

no yeah p much all of europe gave up on the V/T distinction on or around 1968

nobody gets titles in their name afaik (germany & scandinavia def doesn't). etiquette is roughly dependant on whether the addressee is born before like 1930 unless they're in a super conservative field (or royal i guess, but lmao i would rather use the V form to an old lady than the queen)

you can absolutely still get your academic title added to your national id and people still do that a lot. lawyers and medical doctors are usually the worst about insisting on having their titles added to everything in my experience, though engineers aren't far behind

this is especially funny because medical doctors indeed do not get their dr. in front of their name but instead dr. med., which is like a phd with training wheels

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

yeah germany has quite a tradition of labeling people.

:drat:

on a completely unrelated note, austrians traditionally also use the academic title when addressing someone's partner. so if your wife has a phd, they'll address you as doktor as well, even if you don't have one

Babies Getting Rabies fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 12, 2018

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
shaggar, there is no such thing as stealing from companies.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

and the governments you want to censor them are actively committing genocide.

drat canada is hosed up

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

hobbesmaster posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Indian_residential_school_system?wprov=sfti1

they’re not doing that thing anymore but Mounties are keeping the racism going

so they should get along with facebook just fine then

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

"actually you're wrong and the government is correct which is why they should control both your reproductive rights and what you can read and post on the internet." - yosposters in this thread

i wish the government would control what you post on the internet

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

your fascist brain doesn't get it. instead of using existing law to punish actual threats, you want to drum up new laws to give the executive wider power to clamp down on speech they don't like. all because you're stupid enough to believe a lovely politician lost a race because of people being mean online.

nice meltdown

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

the disconnect here is that these rules only apply to a handful of American companies in the eu and elsewhere. they don't apply to domestic companies especially in the EU where regulation of their own large companies is extremely lax.

if these were relatively sane rules applied evenly it would be fine, but they're protectionist trash. this is also a different issue from the general internet censorship laws desired by certain members of the US legislature.

gdpr, for example, absolutely does apply to european companies and has caused tremendous meltdowns all over the place in the run-up to it entering into effect. not surprisingly, the first gdpr fines have not been levied against american but european companies. as far as i know, it's hit a portuguese and a german company so far

the national regulatory agencies have been pretty lax on large companies in the past. that was certainly the case in germany. but european anti-trust cases have recently doled out some really painful fines to european companies, so this is changing, too.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

lmao, the germans got fined an amazing 20,000 euros! definitely no favoritism there at all and im sure the americans will receive equivalent fines if found to be in non-compliance.

agreed, everyone laughed about that one. though they also have jack poo poo in terms of revenue and are effectively dead anyway. i bet google and facebook will point to these fines though and it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.
question is: will they allow complete access to their systems for regulatory agencies as knuddels did and also immediately notify every affected user. because that's what knuddels did and was named as the reason for the low fine

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

I bet if it means no real fine theyd do it, but more likely the EU regulators will want to make a show of it regardless of cooperation.

so now we've shifted from "this is protectionism" to "this is potentially protectionism", gotcha

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

it is definitely protectionism and the EU is definitely not going to give facebook, goog, et.al. the same slap on the wrist regardless of cooperation.

the 20000 euros is because it got reported and they had no recourse but to issue some kind of fine. if they could have ignored it they would have

nah

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
honestly: depends on the country. france won't be fun for them, germany will probably be a slap on the wrist. maybe except in bavaria. data protection agencies here are federally organized and from my professional experience, the only one that isn't completely understaffed and toothless is bavaria.

i also don't see them as the first likely target for high fines. personally, i'd bet on insurance or credit agencies. they have money, poo poo systems and processes, a fuckton of data and are universally despised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
lmao i live straight downtown in a large city in germany and best i can get is 50 mbit down / 10 up, which is a huge improvement over the situation we had until about 6 months ago, when it was 16/1.5

our infrastructure is total garbage and it'd annoy me a lot more if i actually used netflix or steam or whatever