Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol, how dumb does he think they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Tesla: “User error. Not our problem.”

(ps: please keep using autopilot, tesla’s amazing autonomous driving solution, which definitely is not at fault here even though this user kept saying it kept trying to crash at this exact location.)

if you die, you cant well be put in any more danger, and the obstruction might be no angel themselves. and so the Tesla murder robot improves safety

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

vice was founded by the creepy ex-pat fucks responsible for exile.ru

seemed to me that was an attempted hit piece as a result of Poe’s Law

Spime Wrangler posted:

no it wasn’t

e: I’ll let Ames and Taibbi speak for themselves on their exile days but they’re both serious self aware muckrakers with their eyes on the prize, not derivative gutter swill like Vice

yeah this

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm surprised by how many people want to defend the exile.ru creeps

they wrote some lovely stuff, and about her in particular, no doubt about that. I’m sure this was harmful but I feel a bit uneasy about the use of #metoo for inflammatory articles written > 20 years ago, to try to invoke the same kind of charivari. this was a bit odd

quote:

Of course I was angry and upset. I worried about my daughters; the older one was in high school. She had to watch her mother's character assassination unfold — witnessed by her classmates.
it’s not like they had the sort of platform or reach where her kids friends would know anything about it. of course she had every right to vent and call this poo poo out, I dunno what it felt like to be her

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

thank you for the inspiration

:ghost:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yo, but on the blockchain

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

39 patrons sounds about right. why does the app need funding, or development, or anything. it’s costs should be close to $zero unless it’s set up in a really stupid way

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

infernal machines posted:

this isn't tech bubble, but i don't know where else it would go, and it needs to be seen

agreed, all hail emperor Barron

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

after a certain level of wealth a direct comparison of big numbers is not too revealing (and the true value of most ultra rich is unknown to us, from shell corps and offshore accounts and obfuscation). a lot more is available to Putin as a Russian ruler than Bezos who is just a business man, albeit a fantastically rich one. who knows how much money Putin could conceivably call in at a given time. poo poo the Russian military expenditure is near bezos wealth, dude has no army or other powers like that

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 10, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Im the continued use of the chosen-to-be-misleading product name.

If it's Cruise Control call it "Cruise Control", if it's "Slightly-improved Cruise Control" then call it "Cruise Control 2: Cruise Harder". Do not call it "Autopilot" jesus loving christ.

you don’t raise mountains of VC cash on truths

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

:pray: please, bury Tesla alive

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

what the gently caress kind of brain worms does he have. his cars are not “the most safe” but the least safe, with the most accidents and highest insurance premiums

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

40% fewer crashes than just driving into a wall

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

leftist heap posted:

i just assume that the 40% thing Tesla keeps touting is either bullshit or a factoid stretched so thin it may as well be bullshit am i right.

it’s to do with “the number of traffic incidents involving Tesla vehicles [since the introduction of autopilot].” i’m not sure that it differentiates between the severity of crashes. it is a fairly worthless statistic, considering the problem was with the sort of people that buy Teslas, and a 40% reduction of all incidents is not very convincing when the tech has such foundational problems

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

“a bunch of reckless nouveau riche tech fucks get in crashes 40% less” but the total number of incidents still dwarfs all other vehicles 🤔

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

maybe those people getting in accidents realized that Tesla wasn’t so great and went back to crashing Porches

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the x stands for xtreme

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

really rude to call the warehouses of Indian moderators’ intelligence “artificial”

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

digital labour is labour. I hope that helps

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

having done both, I know that manual labour won’t pay enough to be worth leveraging my body for long term. unless I specialize, but I don’t care to do so. with physical labour I’m too drained to care at the end of the day, but I also won’t have the energy to work on poo poo I find intellectually stimulating. in either case, I probably won’t fill the void of greater meaning. may as well do the thing that has better prospects and derive purpose elsewhere

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ted hitler posted:

“I wake up in cold sweats every so often thinking, What did we bring to the world?” —Tony Fadell, Known as one of the “fathers of the iPod”

http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/an-apology-for-the-internet-from-the-people-who-built-it.html

naive as gently caress. it’s not being weaponized, it IS a weapon

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

skimming fast, will give a proper read later.

aaaaaAAAAA. yeah the counterculture of the US military. just ignore that darpa was protested as the dissolution of privacy. it’s been this way all along. there are revolutionary things about the internet, but this corporate narrative is tired as gently caress

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lmao

quote:

But it turns out that the same data that creates a positive, constructive process like the Arab Spring

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the article is not terrible. it just doesn’t understand that aspects of the current situation were desired from the start, for maximize soft power leverage. ffs cybernetics is unambiguously about comms and control. that people willfully engage in social networks with devices always on person is truly the ideal

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a friend of mine developed epilepsy after a few years of heavy dxm use

he got himself a chemistry license so that he could order the stuff directly

it might not've caused it but it sure didn't help and now he's not allowed to drive a car because his seizures are bad enough

pure dxm is very easy to source, like it’s not illegal. you can source it locally, and overseas (japan has pure dxm tablets for example). if he wasn’t getting exotic precursors with that license then smh

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

you can buy it by itself here, not combined with other medications, in gel caps in every pharmacy and grocery store

they card you to see if you're 18 but I think that's a company policy thing not a law thing

the gel caps are imperfect as the sorbitol in them is really unpleasant. source of the dreaded robo-shits and nausea. in japan they have it in pills with just filler and binder. a/b extraction works well, but the cheapest is to just hit up an RC vendor for a bag of pure powder

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ehh. lotta creepy pedo poo poo in anime, even ones for kids. I think 40k started out more self critical and then those fascist elements were embraced in sincerity by its fan base. I played around with it as a kid but gently caress paying through the nose for that hobby though

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

doesn't sizzurp refer to codeine cough syrup

both, it may also be called “drank” and they are confused with each other by the less knowing

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

dxm is interesting but I always found serotonigenic drugs to have a ... “gross” feeling to them, idk. k and mxe are better

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

So what's "purp" then?

weed or lean. both dxm and codeine come in purple syrups for cough, makes sense they’d get confused

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

yeah the serotonin activity with dxm in particular will really gently caress you up with repeated long term use

that episode of intervention with the dxm Addict eating French fries off the ground outside

quote:

there's been a few cases I've seen of people abusing diphenhydramine enough to start developing weird allergies and permanent autoimmune stuff like eczema and psoriasis

also Alzheimer’s lol

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

exposure works too, to some degree. I was in a dust allergy trial years ago whose premise was “taking dustmite allergen extract daily” to see if symptoms reduce (we were head to toe in scrubs in an airlocked room once a month, where they pumped in dust, and administered forms by people in hazmat looking getups). in my subjective experience I’m not much bothered by cats after living with one for many years, and that used to be one of my worst allergies. but I know these things may change over time on their own accord

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Lol if your sad, weak, failing body gets allergies

Planet Earth has judged you and found you wanting

allergies actually mean your immune system is super powerful, defending you from assumed dangers

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yeah but they were always bad

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

move fast break things people

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

*computer thinking harder than it ever has in its life*

not hotdog

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

magical thinking lol. by performing the blockchain ritual these effects will surely come into being

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

dumbest driver I remember was some lady losing her loving mind cause I was slowly coasting to red lights (as opposed to driving and stopping quickly for no reason?) so much screaming and gesticulating, hated that I kept getting ahead of her while going slower. do cars gently caress with peoples brains or just bring to light what was already there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hot sauce is stored in the balls

sauce that’s hot != hot sauce