Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Xelkelvos posted:

Basically if MtG could copy the card cams of Poker, it might be more interesting to watch. Better still would be a live virtual table that people streaming it can look at and hover over specific cards or things to see their rules text and stuff.

This is basically hearthstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Joe Slowboat posted:

Actual question, what are the 'rape charms' we're discussing here? I can think of literally one charm in Ex3 that's sex-related and it's like... kind of pointless, but 'be so good in bed that people talk about you and want to have sec again' is not a particularly rapey fantasy?

Then there were the outlines but not actually written Abyssals preview charms which if I recall had one really poorly worded charm that was 'make your Appearance one higher, and also ghosts show up and leer at you through windows and poo poo, and we'll casually mention rape in describing their expressions because it's Victorian' and then had a bunch of charms about like... making people addicted to your affection, potentially including sex. Which is not actually something I want in my game but its really different from 'rape charms.'

None of this is to say Holden 'I knew about my friend being a sexual harasser and I didn't speak up because I'm a coward' Sheeran is not noxious, but like... I really don't get why this gets yelled repeatedly whenever Exalted comes up.

There was a front page article about it

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Joe Slowboat posted:

Oh yeah Infernals was atrocious, though ironically the charms were not at all involved with sex in any fashion.

But... that's the previous edition and the posters are clearly talking about the third edition, and I'm just not sure what's being talked about. Is it the lovely ghost charms from that KS preview?

Yes, the ghosts that rape you to death and then you turn into a sex monster

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Counterpoint: it's Monte Cook

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Hey, my unnamed black friends say I'm right

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Mr.Misfit posted:

Admittingly, the point was overly simplified, though I can´t exactly tell you where I got the thought from, but I remember a discussion...distantly though, about the idea that the chinese monoculture, especially with the rise of Maoism, has tried to further equalize and destroy the idea of the individual as rising up, the western ideal of The Special One seemingly disdained. In a country where you´re one in a billion, let´s say protagonists are so numerous, they either become less special by the sheer size of their number or the idea that they are but a face among many. As such, being a protagonist requires standing out beyond being a protagonist, it requires a change, either for the individual itself or by breaking its own mold, revolution, so to speak.

Sorry, I think I´m currently speaking in very loose terms.

But, building on this idea also implies the Wuxia. Wuxia works as it does because of the cultural change from the individual to the masses. When heroes are not made by their individuality but by standing out from the people, they become an implicit threat to stability. As such, being outcast for their actions speaks to that idea. They become the fear of the people by taking on the danger, but are thrown outside of the people for it. The problem with this idea would be that by expulsion the people, or the collective self never grows on these fears. The outcast however grows, but only to disdain the people who threw them out. It creates villains, even. Interesting. Sorry, rambling now, I suppose.

You should read some xianxia novels

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm going to assume everyone has read DCC

...except me. So explain to me as a pleb what one-true-way stuff is/isn't in it specifically.

The intro is some dumb bullshit full of OSR/grognard signifiers.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Rogue 7 posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought that was someone’s lovely avatar. They actually wore that thing on a stream.

If you look at the top right, you can see the other members of their team are furries.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Guys look at me, look at how much I don't care

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Xiahou Dun posted:

Bonus points if you can guess the plural of "geas" without googling it.

Trick question, it's already plural, güs is the singular.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I vaguely remember a point where they were asking for feedback irt them saying giving the fighter a healing ability was the 5e incarnation of the warlord where it was absolutely clear they had no idea why people liked the class.

Remember when they invented out of whole cloth something called "passive perception"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
My favorite part of MCWoD was that casting magic was a skill roll. You could cast magic to increase your bonus to a skill, to increase your stat directly, or to increase your d20 rolls. You could make these spells permanent, so every mage, given a few days, could massively buff their spellcasting skill over what they were "supposed" to have.

Also demons had a natural refresh rate on their power pool (called anima) of like 1 per day, base (assuming you made the correct choice at chargen and didnt pick a bane, since that leaves you with no natural refresh). Unless you took the ability to give people any of the following bonuses: +4 to one ability score, +10 on checks with one skill, +10 hit points or darkvision. It costs the demon only 5 anima and it gives the target -2 wisdom, except they can take +4 wisdom. This gives you one point of anima per day while they're alive and nothing stops you from doing this to literally everyone you meet.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Did high-level vampires have to kill dozens of people to heal all their hit point damage?

Vampires were the only non humans with a decent refresh. Werewolves got a point for the first time they see the moon each night an an extra during their phase of the moon, so like 1/4 of the time, and could eat a freshly killed human heart for another point, so they could barely ever get points. A demon could either have a bane that hurt it or a requirement to eat a specific thing every day, and if they picked the eating thing they got one point a day, and they could eat one soul after a combat for a point, assuming they roll a nat 20, (eating a soul requires 10 minutes, souls hang around for 10 minutes), but the boon thing I mentioned above means even if you just boost party members you have 4-5 per day. Vampires, on the other hand, can drink one point of vitae per 2 points of constitution drain, and so the average person can supply 5 vitae. Of course, fixing constitution is extremely easy for a mage so any party with a mage has infinite blood. Did I mention that mages can cast a spell to recover the resources they use to cast spells? Because they can.

Also cows can survive complete blood loss.

I did a Fatal and Friends of MCWoD that I gave up on because mages are broken as gently caress in that game.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Tendales posted:

If you poke around in the comments, Mearls says he's "wrestling" with how to respond. So at least he's aware of the situation I guess. Poor guy must be having a horrible time trying to figure out how to come out of this sounding like an ally at no personal cost to himself and without any need to take responsibility for his own actions.

Fyi that is not the actual Mike Mearls, it's a gimmick account. Mearls has not yet responded.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Lumbermouth posted:

And Mearls's post is already gone. I'm imagining something similar to Magpie's statement coming out... aaaaaany minute now.

It wasn't the real Mike Mearls, it was a gimmick account. Mearls has yet to say anything.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

sexpig by night posted:

Yea there are odds there's like five PR goons going over whatever Mearls is saying before it goes public.

The odds aren't GREAT, what with history and all, but they do exist.

There weren't PR goons around when Mearls was collecting names of people to harrass in order to send them to Zak, why would there be some now?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The D&D office, if anything, seems to systematically weed out competency. At this point I'm expecting a 6th edition under the watchful eye of Sean K Reynolds.

Time for the triumphant return of Feat Points! Natural Spell will finally be recognized as a worse feat than Diligent, which gives +2 to Appraise and Decipher Script.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

moths posted:

Gencon didn't exactly say they weren't banning him.

I mean, they didn't say anything.

That's a wrong decision.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

moths posted:

I think they're intentionally leaving themselves open to ban him at community request instead of making a decision themselves.

Because if they actually acted on their policy, there's a lot more people they'd need to ban.

Sounds like they should get to work, then.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Mr. Humalong posted:

What game systems would you recommend looking at if I like 5e as a whole but don’t want to support someone who defends an abuser? Systems that use d20, 2d6, decent combat system, room for role playing, etc.

Asking this sincerely in case someone thinks I’m trying to be a dick.

Shadow of the Demon Lord is a pretty fun D&D-like if you can get past some of the tryhard gross grimdark poo poo.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Serf posted:

the one sotdl adventure that burned me real bad was one wherein the players are tasked to go into the swamp to ask this ogre witch for help in un-petrifying the children of a nearby town. when you arrive at her house she immediately attacks you and will fight to the death. so the pcs can ransack her house and gather up some possible cures, but then on the way back you're supposed to have them come across a grove of berry bushes with all these petrified animals around them. basically the reveal is that the berries cause the petrification and the ogre witch was the only person who could help and her cures don't do anything

the ending? "gently caress you" (not literally but there is no way to save the kids in the adventure, and it just suggests that maybe they should go seek out a wizard to help)

The one that hosed me over was the The Apple of Her Eye, a novice adventure whose boss has 5th rank spells and permanently charms you if you see her and fail an intellect roll with a bane (or two if you ate an apple or drank cider in town, when the town is famous for both).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Ettin posted:

Which Saints Row? IV?

Saint's row 2 had the best story.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
If you want some video evidence, here's some video evidence of Vic "jokingly" hitting on a preteen Wonder Woman cosplayer and here's Vic asking another young cosplayer if they'd like to be an Orion slave girl from later in that same video.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Jimbozig posted:

Right. And this impression you have is completely false. Which is why I am frustrated with the bullshit in this thread. It's just a bunch of ridiculous exaggeration.

He literally kicked someone off his kickstarter because they asked if they could get a clear answer rather than mystic ponderings. The impression is accurate.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
For a more complete disclosure, here's what happened regarding the kickstarter. Specifically, this was the pissy response Crane posted on Kickstarter when questioned about how the delivery was progressing.

quote:

Silence.
All of you.
It is as if you were burning in the lake of fire—while all you do is attend your keyboard.
The truth is simple enough: You will wait; you shall receive your codex. That is all.
Mind your doubts and concerns yourself.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Arivia posted:

Paizo announced that they're doing a compiled edition of Kingmaker, one of their most popular adventure path series, for Pathfinder 2e - and D&D 5e, their direct competitor. (But not Pathfinder 1e!) Things are getting weird.

Lol if Paizo goes back to just sponging entirely off of D&D

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Darwinism posted:

Honestly I read it more as the standard centrist, "I don't think any opinions invalidate you from my company," sort of thing where it's fine to associate yourself with the giant not-quite-closeted bigot so long as he doesn't say anything too bad, which is not the same as intolerance of bigotry at all

I'm not saying RPGnet is the worst or anything but they're definitely like the liberal centrist of forums

RPGnet literally bans saying you support Trump

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I wouldn't be surprised if he got the same lawyer as Vic Mignogna, the voice actor who is also suing for defamation after his decade plus of harassment and creeping came out.

This lawyer commonly goes on a youtube channel to talk about the case, attack the defendants, and ask Kiwifarms to dox people.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, Vic's lawyer isn't Nick Rekieta. Vic found a completely incompetent law firm in Texas. Nick's just talking it up because outrage tourism.

It will be super exciting to see if Nick weighs in on Canadian defamation cases as he clearly knows little about American cases.

Vic's lawyer is Ty Beard, who goes on Nick's stream all the time. Here he is asking Kiwifarms to dox one of the many lawyers dunking on him on twitter.
https://twitter.com/GeneralASC/status/1136853294771367936?s=20

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Lord_Hambrose posted:

All this D&D chat makes me sad that Shadow of the Demon Lord is such a great way to get that D&D style experience with much better rules. A big shame about all the dumb 13 year old level of edginess.

There's going to be a non-poo poo-obsessed version coming out soon, iirc.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Andrast posted:

There is? That sounds great.

Unfortunately it looks like it's a separate game and not just a rewrite with all the gross-out obsession removed, after looking it up.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Xiahou Dun posted:

Good for that site, but it really says something about the world we live in that a knitting website needs to specify that Nazis are bad.

Old people are more likely to knit, and also more likely to be racist

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Darwinism posted:

Miles Vorkosigan being the exception?

Miles is more defined by Charisma than Intelligence.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Evil Mastermind posted:

There was an article I saw a while back about how pre-#metoo, this lovely behavior always got written off as an "oopsie"; just a guy being dumb because we're so stupid! And really, who can navigate all the ~politically correct~ needs and requirements? I'm just a dumb guy, I can't be held accountable!

Thankfully that mindset is being chipped away. It's slow, but it's happening.

That said, gently caress McFarland trying to act like he's the victim here.

The Myth of the Male Bumbler.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Froghammer posted:

He's literally just a series of posts demanding the people who hate him debate him

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Aside from the D&D cachet, I wonder if 5E is ideally suited for performance and improv because it has so little GM-facing structure compared to past editions and a lot of other games.

No, its just bad enough everyone is fine with ignoring the rules and making poo poo up as much as possible. 5E's whole stance is "we cant come up with something good, you do it!"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Kaiju15 posted:

Is there a good deep dive on what makes the design of 5e so... meh? Ideally audio so that I can listen to someone complain about elf games while I work.

Short story is 5e wasn't primarily designed to be good, it was primarily designed to "feel like D&D" (3.x in particular). The focus wasn't on making a good game.

Piell fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 14, 2020

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

thespaceinvader posted:

No.

No no.

No no no no no.

No.

I refuse to believe this reality is real.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true!

quote:

A classic flagship title meets MONOPOLY in a game that takes the infinite war to new levels. Featuring 28 key locations from the setting, MONOPOLY: Warhammer 40,000 lets you play as one of six iconic metal tokens representing key factions and make your way around the board buying, selling, and trading properties in the 41st Millennium. Build up your conquered locations with Outposts and Fortifications, seal your destiny with Fate and Glory cards, and collect a Billion Souls for the Emperor to continue your quest to dominate the board!

They couldn't even bother doing the obvious Rogue Trader thing, truly lazy.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 20, 2020

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Shadow of the Demon Lord 2: FINE I'll take out all the poop stuff ARE YOU HAPPY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Eastmabl posted:

Family members of the country singer Randy
Oh yeah!