Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Well that's....certainly something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

James D'Amato owns.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Plutonis posted:

They are making Uno 2: Dos

It's already out, you can go and buy it at Target right this second.

It looks like it's exactly like Uno but you say Dos when you have two cards left in hand, and the wilds are a little different.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Who works at FFG/Asmodee and can explain why they have the foresight to print card sleeve size numbers on their games with cards but then don't actually put that size number on any of the packaging on their entire line of sleeves? Some real fuckin' brain geniuses at that operation, I tell ya.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

But hyphz is Phil. That's the only explanation I can think of for continually dying on this incredibly specific, impossibly stupid hill.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

hyphz posted:

If everybody who can teleport says that teleporting is not a problem, that still gives no information to me who cannot.

In your analogy everyone is working from home but you insist on circling the city a few times first for some reason despite your managers' continued insistence that you stop being late all the time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Is Pathfinder doing any kind of organized play online? I’ve been cursing my luck that I’ve gotten into 2E right as all the pathfinder society stuff has shut down for the pandemic.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

monopoly jr is the superior monopoly

I think I unironically believe this - when I was a kid I loved Monopoly Jr. and was excited to receive the “grown up” version as a gift....until I played it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It absolutely boggles my mind that a lot of you think Hasbro has its ear to the ground enough to listen to fans of a fan podcast about the employment of one of their brand managers. This is the company that released that bugfucking insane Ms. Monopoly game like, last loving week, the giant multinational toy company isn’t exactly woke and listening to the little people here, you know?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

No it isn't but the podcast in question here has demonstrably done more than anything besides Stranger Things to make D&D 5th edition a success, and they know it.

Comparing a nerd podcast, even a big one, to the most successful original show on the most successful streaming service on the planet certainly shows one idea of perspective I guess.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Look who's trying to sneak his way back into legitimacy:

https://twitter.com/skinnyghost/status/1267134380540956674

I want to take a shower after being exposed to something so viscerally slimy.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It definitely drove some people away, but Beer got caught for something much worse. Can't speak about it anymore though.

Ah, yes, much better to just vaguepost about.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Has there been any good retrospective on Tom Kirby and GW? I remember the death thread from a few years back being pretty entertaining and Kirby is out and GW seems to be on an upswing but I don't know or remember the specifics.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I don’t think Eklund was involved in Pax Pamir

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ah, that explains it. I was reading all this with a vague sense of horror and thinking “well, honestly I don’t think I have any Eklund games so that’s nice at least.” You had me worried!

I hope Cole is good people.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Netrunner had an insanely dedicated fanbase, to the point where they kept the game going with new physical card releases and kept holding tournaments and stuff. It was my favorite game by a long shot and the LCG model was great for it - you really didn't need to buy every single pack to make viable decks, even at the competitive level.

RIP :(

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I am years behind on this thread but the current title keeps cracking me up and I'd really like to know what it's in reference to.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

To be honest as I read the blurb I thought “drat, a species of artificially evolved flying squirrels from space is kind of a cool concept, I don’t really see the problem?”

And then I saw the illustration that Twitter cropping had cut off and was like “….oooohhhh.”

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Falstaff posted:

I thought I knew all of Steely Dan's songs, but this one is new to me. Thanks!

Same, I was like "huh how did I miss this?" and then saw it came out in 2003. "Oh, I guess that makes sense, I really only know Dan songs from like twenty years ago."

Then I realized, and crumbled into a pile of dust and ash.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I unironically fuckin' loved the D&D Minis skirmish game from early 4th ed and would jump on a new version immediately. As far as actual D&D goes, the randomized boxes weren't ideal for building up a collection, but if you already had a fair amount of kobolds and goblins sitting around it was a nice way to get some weirder or more interesting monsters. Sometimes it would be enough to give you new ideas for your game - I wasn't planning on an encounter with a giant tree ent zombie, but I'm sure as hell going to write one in now that I've got a big imposing mini for it. The fact that the included cards for each model had stats for the skirmish game on one side and stats for D&D 4th on the other was also really helpful.

Nuns with Guns posted:

You gotta get in and maul them like you're Cookie Monster

this is 100% true, I remember those boxes being sealed up like long-forgotten tombs, you basically had to use a scissors or destroy the box outright.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Nickoten posted:

It absolutely is on him. Going after some tiny indie dev is not at all necessary to protect his mark, even if they're both video games that abstract fighting games in some way. No one, and I mean no one, was ever in any danger of thinking Yomi Hustle was sponsored by Sirlin's Yomi brand or confusing it with Yomi itself. And those are the only causes of action available to Sirlin for a trademark claim. Like I can see how this claim is stronger than the claim against Yomi Domini, but Sirlin's hands are not tied in forcing someone to change their title, despite what he might say.

Basically every sentence of this is wrong, it's honestly kind of impressive.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Nickoten posted:

Love your confidence here! Dare I ask you to substantiate this?

I mean would you like to refer to the other posts talking about trademark defense, or the multiple people in TGD who outright admitted they thought it was a Sirlin project, or what? You cut kind of a broad swath of falsehoods there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Nickoten posted:

No, I'd like for you to explain what's wrong with that post, specifically.

It was all predicated on there being no likelihood of confusion so no possibility for dilution or reason for a defense when that is just wrong on the face of it:

Some Numbers posted:

I will say that while all of this is true, when someone told me about Yomi Hustle and said it was a fighting game, I did immediately assume it was based on Sirlin's Yomi.

Jimbozig posted:

If someone released a board game called "Clank Hustle," my first thought would be that this is an expansion to or variation on the popular board game Clank. It absolutely makes sense that someone might think a game called Yomi Hustle might be an expansion/variant/sequel for Yomi.

MizuZero posted:

when I first learned of yomi hustle I thought sirlin was involved. if I saw a video game that used the words azul, agricola*, or tzolk’in in the title, my immediate thought would be that it was affiliated with or a reimplementation of the board game. the same is true even for titles like 7 wonders or pandemic.

*rosenberg, not holland. apologies in advance.