Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bedlamdan posted:

Just shut down the 5E and Pathfinder threads, replace them with a dedicated Zak Smith megathread, and anyone who still wants to talk about D&D in TYOOL 2019 can just leave to reddit or rpg.net or whatever.

No. Zak and D&D are separate things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mr. Maltose posted:

The Mearls Defender Has Logged On

I don't care about any of this, other than feeling sympathy for any victims of Zak.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

So would you agree that all 5e books need to be edited to have Zak removed and that Mearls should be fired for using his position to enable a rapist's harassment campaigns and gaslighting?

Sure remove him from the one book he was consulted and playtested. There is no hurry for it, he's not involved with D&D anymore and has not been for four years other than that minor role.

Still no proof of maliciousness from Mearls just incompetence. And due to having met the guy I would say incompetence. He he is not very involved in creating stuff for D&D right now and I don't really care if leaves or not.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Hey, are companies still paying shills to embed themselves in social networks and forums to sell games? I wonder if MonsterEnvy is one of those. That would explain a lot.

I have nothing to do with WotC or any other companies for that matter. I am a supremely unimportant young man who works at a convenience store. Also the sort of person who largely gives the benefit of the doubt.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 14, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The evidence overwhelmingly points to Zak and Mearls being dogshit. Mearls solicited emails about Zak and then forwarded them to him! gently caress him!

Which from having met the guy and what else I know about him, leans towards him just being stupid about that encounter rather then malicious. It's still a showing of gross incompetence however and is enough in my book to warrant losing his position.

Mr. Maltose posted:

“Sympathy for all victims, just not enough to inconvenience my favorite toy in any way shape or form, also it did no wrong despite all evidence” is certainly a stance one could take, yeah.

What does this even mean. The two things are not related.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tendales posted:

Who cares that Zak didn't literally write the book. His name is on the page because Mike Mearls specifically benefited from Zak's contacts with the OSR community in the development and pre-release hype cycle of 5e and Mike wanted to reward him for being the ambassador to the crowd of people that had sworn off WotC/D&D and that Mike wanted to bring back into the fold.

Saying that Zak was unimportant to the release of D&D5 is disingenuous as gently caress.

OK. I don't know enough about Zak or the OSR community to add anything else. Well other then that Zak is a shitbag.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Don’t they print that contributor notice in every book? Even if it is “just” the PHB, that’s the flagship product. And no Mearls gave Zak legitimacy and covered for him repeatedly. He is absolutely a supporter, not just an idiot.

Just checked only in the PHB. And I am fine with him being stricken from the book. Just as I am fine with Mearls losing his position.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nuns with Guns posted:

Thanks for falling for bedlamdan's obvious bait post, then running in here to cry and pearl-clutch about the honor of 5e D&D, you walnut-brained buffoon.

Yeah you are pretty accurate, I don't have anything else to add.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I thought WotC got a cut of everything sold on DMsguild, did I misremember that? I mean, that's kinda scummy to begin with but I presume they're at least donating that.

Wait why is it scummy to take a cut on stuff that is sold using their brand.

Xelkelvos posted:

Edit: where are you reading that MtG is gonna be butchered though?

Also curious about this. I am unfamiliar with a lot of this stuff, so I don't understand how much this affects MtG.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 19, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

moths posted:

They're essentially making money and collecting goodwill on a fundraiser meant to help victims of their employees. There's more layers and nuance to it, but that's the short version.

It's gross.

That was not what I was talking about.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Edit: removing my reply cause I just saw the guy wants to drop it and it's not a big deal.

Leperflesh posted:

What do you think would constitute a reasonable take?
I assume the content owners are agreeing to this distribution channel... is this a case where they have some kind of monopoly, so content creators have effectively no ability to find a better deal elsewhere?

In this situation there is no monopoly. It's just extra cost the creators are agreeing to so they can use a brand.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 20, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

fosborb posted:

Except that isn't their bundle. They're just signal boosting in a super skeezy way that makes you think they are doing anything at all

Why do people keep saying this, when it's been explicitly stated earlier in the thread that the money WotC would be getting from the bundle is going to RAINN

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sage Genesis posted:

Because that's just speculation on our part and WotC didn't actually say they would in that statement of theirs? Unless I missed some tweet from a WotC employee or something, they basically implied that they would donate without actually saying anything of the sort.

Reene posted:

They didn't say that. They said they "support" the bundle that DMG was already doing. DMG is not part of WotC.

One BookShelf stated that WotC is donating the cut they get on DMG products for the Bundles.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

neonchameleon posted:

As far as I can tell almost none of the products in that bundle were created by WotC - so the amount of money they are missing out on is, I think, fairly trivial.

20% by my reconciliation. So yeah fairly trivial.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MollyMetroid posted:

Yes, but DMG was already doing that bundle so literally all they're doing is going "oh hey we get a cut of this thing that was already happening eh let's just drop that cut into the bucket of goodwill instead of actually taking any loving initiative of our own to do better.

Yeah, they are still giving their cut, that was all my point was. It's misinformation to state they aren't.

This bundle was already going to happen prior to the Zak S scandal. It probably would have been better for Wizards to say in the message "Relating to this we and OneBookShelf are already doing a bundle on some DMG products and all proceeds are being donated to RAINN, and now is good time to support it." I feel saying something like that would have made things more clear.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 20, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MollyMetroid posted:

How's the koolaid taste

I just don't like Misinformation being spread.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

You, for whom multiple first-party sources were not sufficient evidence when WotC were supporting and enabling abuse, are suddenly prepared to believe a single third-party source that claims that they will make a pittance of a donation.

Colour me loving shocked.
OneBookShelf owns the DMG.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 20, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Except when it's you spreading it, claiming Mearls did nothing wrong.

I explicitly stated he did do wrong. Namely that he was an idiot, both with how he handled the Zak S thing 5 years ago and how he handled his response here. An apology should have been included by him, for not believing the allegations.

Kai Tave posted:

What are your thoughts on due process, by chance.

That it should happen and is a good thing. People should get the benefit of the doubt.

MollyMetroid posted:

you know that no matter how much you stan for mearls and wotc nobody's going to suck you off for it right

I don't care.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The implied "...except victims" in this statement is deafening.

You spent 2014 to this week saying how Mearls did nothing wrong.

You need to apologise for vigorously defending the abuse enabler right up until it was far too obvious for you to claim "he didn't do anything", then you start saying "well maybe he did but he's just dumb" instead.

Or continue to be the disgusting toadying bootlicker that you've always shown yourself to be, I guess.

Even years back I explicitly stated that him not believing people about Zak S and telling him about his harassment accusations was wrong. My only constant has been that malice was not behind his decision then. As it does not fit with pretty much everything about his character.

After meeting the guy in person I became pretty certain it was an act of incompetence, not malice. He should apologize for not believing people about Zak.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The abuse apologist is called out again, and here you are to defend him again.

You're part of the problem.

Piece of poo poo, I am not an abuse apologist! The fact that you are using conjecture as fact is part of the reason I think you have no grounds to judge here. You never supplied first party info that would prove your points. And you are horribly manipulative, I was not even trying to talk about this topic until you retailed it here.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darwinism posted:

Also even if you inflicted harm accidentally you still inflicted harm, you are not innocent because you hurt someone out of stupidity. Jesus loving Christ I shouldn't have to say this to an adult.

I know this. And I have explicitly stated that is why he needs to apologize. Him not listening to the people who accused Zak was horrible mistake, and he should apologize for it, even if it costs him his job.

Gerund posted:

in alliance with an abuser

This is pure conjecture.

Here I am just going to get my views of the situation out here as I am tired of this.

In 2014 Mearls and D&D Team hire Zak as a consultant for the PHB, this is a move to get the people that follow him into the new edition, he is a controversial figure But it is not known at this point he is a full on abuser.

Mearls later gets lots of messages about Zak and harassment, but ultimately blows them off. A bad move and he should have put together that 1 + 1 = 2 and that they should not associate with him, but gives him consultant credit anyway. After this the D&D Team and Zak have no further interaction.

After Zak was revealed to be an abuser. Mearls puts out a statement that they have not done anything with him since 2014, but he also should have apologized here for not listening to the statements about Zak.

The D&D Team puts out out statement also saying they have had no connection with Zak since 2014, regret doing so, and plan to strike him from the record of their product. They also bring up a charity event they are connected to. Yes they could do more, and they probably should.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 20, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darwinism posted:

So he's done nothing except try and weasel out of it when absolutely forced to, and this is okay because you met him once and he's nice

And you're mystified why people are calling you a piece of poo poo abuse enabler when you are specifically arguing for why someone should not be responsible for enabling an abuser

Once again I did not say this is OK. I outright said he needs to apologize even if it costs him his job because it is not OK.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darwinism posted:

But you're also perfectly okay with him not apologizing.

What I just said he should apologize.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To be "fair", forwarding complainant information to the subject of those complaints is absolutely something I've seen well-meaning people do in unprofessional environments. Yes, it's unbelievably stupid, but it's often the refuge of the naive to think that "Oh, this person isn't so bad, I can trust them with this so we can fix..." The key is that once they realize how they hosed up, most people will own up to it, but nobody in the D&D office did that. Of course, Mearls could have tied hands, legal could certainly be saying "don't you dare admit to wrongdoing". Of course, he could also choose to eat the consequences on that, but I wouldn't expect that given his track record. And it's also important to remember that Mearls has a boss somewhere who's also overseen all of this... or at least blithely ignored it. (I have no idea who, because Wizards doesn't have any sort of transparent corporate directory that I've been able to find.)
This is kind of my view on the thing. I am pretty certain Mearls is the unbelievably stupid area with how he handled this.

a computing pun posted:

Where do you stand on Zak Smith? Should he also apologize? I mean, not to defend him, but "he should apologize" is clearly a pretty harsh condemnation. some would call it character assassination.

Is it possible, in your mind, for a person to behave badly enough that they cross over from "they should say sorry for the things they've done" to "they're a piece of poo poo, and yes they should say sorry for the things they've done, but at this point they've been bad enough that even if they do, they're still a piece of poo poo"? Or is "they should apologise" the absolute bedrock of evil, a supercategory stretched broad enough to fit both Hitler and your little brother when he ate your dessert?"

Zak crossed the line, unless he does something amazing to atone. I don't think he can makeup for his wrong doings.

I don't think Mearls crossed that line. But he did a bad thing, and has not made up for it over the years, when he should.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

What exactly the gently caress do you belive Zak could do to "atone" that would put him back on the right side of your line?

Give all of his money to his victims, then turn himself in for his crimes and submit to jail time.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 20, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xiahou Dun posted:

I had a whole thing I was planning on writing to you and Arthil but wow. I can't.

"Crossed the line"?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Is that what we're calling a decade of psycho-sexual abuse now?

What?

I know you're a famously lovely poster who can't put words together but look at what you just said. Look at what you wrote with your (I assume) human hands. Really think about that.

"Crossing the line" is saying something out of turn to your mom or something. The man is a literal rapist and has destroyed at least a dozen lives.

Crossing the loving line.

gently caress!

There are multiple lines to cross. He crossed the one dividing lovely, creepy people and utter scum.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

a computing pun posted:

okay, other way of putting it. If Mike Mearls apologises tomorrow, will he be off the hook? or is it still reasonable to be angry at him for repeatedly sweeping the harm he caused, intentionally or not, under the rug and avoiding acknowledging making amends to victims until he was forced by one of the larger shitstorms of public pressure in the tabletop medium's history to do so? The way you are posting suggests the answer is "yeah, he'll be off the hook, all he needs is an apology". if that's not how you feel, say so.

How forgivable someone is subjective. It's reasonable to still be angry. If he gave an apology tomorrow I would probably forgive him depending on how he put it, for someone else it's reasonable to say he has to do more than that.

I am a bleeding heart by nature, so I tend to forgive easily.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MollyMetroid posted:

Then why the gently caress isn't your heart bleeding for his victims

Zak has victims. I don't know of or think Mearls has any. That's why I think he is forgivable.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 20, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are you a native English speaker?

"Crossing the line" is an idiom like "letting the cat out of the bag" ; there is no literal line or lines. It's a fixed expression with a meaning of "has done something bad", not "has done something abhorrent and beyond the pale of morality". (Note this is about Zak. I'm starting with the big fish and not touching your Mearls apologia.)

That's rhetorical. I know you know what that phrase means and you're just a piece of poo poo.

No rear end in a top hat. The idiom is something that can be used here and can be used in differing intensities. It's loving definition is "done something considered unacceptable." Which he very much has.

gently caress this you guys keep try to misinterpret what I am saying. And yes I am stupid, an autistic kid only a couple years out of highschool. When stressed I will type things without thinking them through.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nihilarian posted:

All the people Zak abused while Mearls gave him cover are Mearls victims as much as Zaks, regardless of whether it was active malice or sheer, blistering incompetence that drove him to do so

Ok yeah, that's fair and true, sorry. I really was just not thinking things through and was getting defensive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nuns with Guns posted:

3. If knowing the game is mechanically rough and headed by a questionable guy, and that makes you feel bad, maybe step back for a while and do something else while you mull over whether it's worth investing more of your life and money in it

It does not bother me. I also don't even know him very well, In fact I don't even really like Mearls and a lot of his design decisions.

I have no goddamn idea why I feel compelled to defend him in this meager way, I don't talk about or even think about him in any other place. Yet I always feel like being a devil's advocate in regards here.

Maybe MollyMetroid is right and I can't feel bad properly for the faceless victims, and that is loving up were my morals should fall in this topic. I am sorry, I legit don't know what I am thinking right now.

Arthil posted:

It's almost as if certain people in this sub-forum get their jollies on pushing his buttons, knowing that he's going to react a certain way and just keep doing it until either he or they get in trouble over it.

Thanks. But I am starting to be kinda weirdly convinced by them. Which is kind of messing me up, cause I don't think my emotions have changed. I need a break. I hate this topic.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 20, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Good on them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Greg Tito a member of the D&D team posted about Orion and mentions bringing up the situation to the higher ups at Hasbro in a different tweet. Though I doubt it will change anything.
https://twitter.com/Gregtito/status/1279250110237380608

Edit: Bit more from Greg, replying to one of the DM's whose games WoTC sponsors.
https://twitter.com/Gregtito/status/1279466641919602688

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 7, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It seems a fair number of Wizards affiliated people are calling out WotC on the most recent things. I don't know if Crit Role is among them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nu TSR keeps it up. I am shocked at the ability they have shown to top themselves in horribleness.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Angry Salami posted:

"Brainy-Acks"

Fun fact the term Brainiac originally came from the DC supervillain.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From the way Ernie talked, typed, and seeing him in video a few times, I did get the feeling that he was on the Spectrum. (As one also on it). While I have matured past it a fair amount, in the past I also had similar opinions that he expressed in the past. Things like "who cares about the politics, and what people have done, lets just play games and talk about them." It's a very naïve view, and I hope he matures.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

Being an rear end in a top hat is unrelated to being on the spectrum.

Oh indeed, I just hope he can grow out of it. But I don't have much hope for him, he will probably be a jerk until he dies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CitizenKeen posted:

As somebody who just decided to run Soulbound for my group on a whim because I needed a quick break from an emotionally deep campaign arc, and whose only exposure to Warhams before was six hours of one of the 40k videogames...

Warhams is a thing. I've read almost 200 pages of F&F in the last few days and I feel a little broken.

Did you have fun at least?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That's kind of hilarious that they already rebranded.

Oh god they misspelled their own name on their website. Their official name is Wonderfilled. They also misspelled it on their Linkedin, Wunderfilled.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 7, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dwarf74 posted:

What. The. gently caress.

This is a comedy at this point. TSR is back! Michael apparently is real!

https://www.enworld.org/threads/just-when-you-thought-it-was-all-over-now-there%E2%80%99s-a-fourth-tsr.681245/

Man I can't believe this thing keeps topping itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Comstar posted:

So GW is bringing out a "wargame as a service" idea from mobile games and releasing new rules and point values every 6 months. Has anyone ever did this before? Because I can't see it succeeding for more than a year.

It’s free so it’s not really an issue.