Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

I know, right? I personally can't stand it when an RPG company actually tries to treat me like an actual human being instead of regarding me as a filthy peasant.

But realtalk - streaming probably does a much better job giving people an actual point of reference for how to play the game as opposed to the 'how to play the game' section in RPG rulebooks that describe a scene.

Its probably why I complain about 5e streams so much to be honest, give the smaller companies a chance to show their game and almost without fail it is a giant boon for sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Interestingly I find you need something special for me to watch D&D 5E - like, sure, I'm watching Critical Role's second campaign but no others - but my absolutely favorite streams are for a FFG Star Wars game and a Savage Worlds Deadlands game. I'm certainly not saying there's only the one good 5E stream, but CR is the only one that I find interesting for whatever reason.

Sell those other streams my man, what star wars and savage worlds are you watching?

CR is a bunch of charismatic people who all have a similar sense of humour and click very well together so its easy to get behind their naive enthusiasm as they experience dnd stuff for the first time. It's pretty obvious why it's compelling to watch even if I would definitely dislike that style of game.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

(and it's not A Time Of War mixed with the actual miniatures game before somebody asks, but it was developed by some of the BT mucky-mucks).

Crisis averted. Nobody deserves to be subjected to Time of War lol.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Xotl posted:

And...

1st was around for the big 80s D&D fad. Why is that hard to believe?

Because literally everything Ryan Dancey says is wrong or a lie and hes literally burnt down and massively harmed every property hes ever worked with? So it is pretty natural to assume thats not entirely accurate.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Does Green Ronin still have some sort of working relationship with Suleiman? I don't get why you wouldn't drop his rear end as fast as possible at this point. Oh right, then that'd be them admitting some kind of serious fault.

Because the TG industry is garbage hth.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

In more technical fields the best way to increase diversity is just to have your first round of interviews be blind skill tests. Minorities applying for a given job are going to be more skilled than their non-minority counterparts due to discrimination forcing them to apply for lower station jobs relative to skill. The Indian woman applying for a given engineering job has had to work significantly harder than the white guy applying for that same job and is almost certainly more skilled.

Not sure how you'd do that in a field where everything is more subjective like writing though.

Or a field that often rewards poor skills lol.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Meinberg posted:

Apparently one of the Ennie judges this year got kicked out for corruption. I don’t know any details but I’m not surprised.

Corruption? As opposed to what lol.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

theironjef posted:

Hah eleven nods for Starfinder. Good times.

Extremely good is the nomination for the Starfinder free rpg day release that wasn't even a playable product but just a few pages from their monster manual.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Plutonis posted:

The new expac will fix that though.

The expac is going to give you 30+ new options to decapitate your own crusade and cripple christianity's control over the east as long as it humiliates a french king in the process.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Nystral posted:

Is there a good write up on why WOTC did DND 3.5 vs just naming it 4? It wasn’t very clear to me at the time and I’d be hard pressed to remember it now. Where there any major changes then?

3.5 was near identical mechanically to 3.0, it was just rejigging the math and removing a large number of holes so its not really a new version but more fixing up the hilariously badly designed and busted 3.0.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Biomute posted:

They have no value, or at the very least they are worth very little, trending towards nothing.

So the content inside of that pdf is inherently worthless to you. The labour involved in making that pdf and its contents is inherently worthless to you. This is what you are saying right?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Biomute posted:

The creators only "deserve" to get paid for their work if I want to purchase said work, and I have no desire to buy PDFs.

Wait so you genuinely believe that if you specifically don't want something, it has no value at all?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Biomute posted:

Well, there was an attempt to have a discussion about the aesthetic and subjective value of PDFs vs physical RPG books a few pages ago, but angry amateur publishers and economists kept falling over themselves to take it in this direction, and it was amusing, so I went with it. It's kept everyone busy so it can't be that bad.

Holy lol, going 'actually I was just pretending to be retarded' puppetmaster.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

You know, I sympathize to some extent. CharOp gets real ugly when not everyone's into it, but I think the solution is running a system less prone to it rather than bitching at the players.

Problem is you're making this assumption that 'running something else' is ever an option lol.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rowboat Guile's Theme trying to un-nazi the imperium so now there are two imperiums is such a bizzarre mess as a concept though. The new 40k rpg being focused on this so everyone can play whatever race they want and all be in one party makes this a pretty bizarre clusterfuck of a premise when the big key selling point of the setting is that nobody likes eachother and outside of very rare and desperate eldar + human team ups its just a disaster waiting to happen.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

...it's Europe rotated 90 degrees? Isn't that the joke?

I assume the idea is that the 'fantasy tropes' of map design are just people ripping it out of how the real world works? Like all those notes are just describing actual european history for the most part.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The emphasis winds up on the E in either case, it's really hard to emphasize a consonant.

Convention always trumps the general rule but that doesn't mean the rule is entirely absent.

In this case I think the rule is combining stress on the first syllable for proper nouns with secondary stress on the penultimate syllable especially for those ending in a vowel.

Compare to: Minnesota, Alabama, Madagascar, Londonderry, and contrast to an exception like Australia (but perhaps the slang 'Stralya is used in part because the deemphasized first syllable is weird?).

The slang is 'straya, everything else gets dropped hth.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arthil posted:

Of course. To call the fanbase of CR outright fanatical sometimes isn't a bad description. Though he probably wishes he was playing a Cleric, it was Mercer's not-very-good homebrew martial and the death was purely thanks to the mechanics of the class.

I do wonder how things will happen going forward. They had deaths prior to the stream for the first game, and and a few happen on stream there too.

Yeah I bailed out hard of CR in no small part because the fanbase is rough to say the least. Also yeah the kinda mess of a design in that class is what killed it above all else and I'm going to take a wild stab that hes happier for it.

Also not to mention at a certain point in D&D death becomes less and less impactful on the group, sure you can come up with houserules to keep it important but ultimately death is something you can mitigate to various degrees. Plus I mean, I don't think anyone said its never okay to kill a character at all. You got to see them play like 20 sessions or more at least before a character died so thats a lot more of a buildup than 0 and as a result has a lot more impact and play tbh.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DriveThruRPG is loving hot garbage and is a hellish marketplace of maximised undercutting microtransaction style. I remember the warlord that was discussed and released had people refusing to look at it and pay for something like that even when the asking price was like $2. That is not a marketplace anyone can survive in and is basically a condemnation of anyone who holds any value of their work. It is a proudly dumb statement come that site and the users of that site that games and systems inherently hold no value. So yeah if they can find an alternative, I hope they do so.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I don't get all the hate for actual play. I have been role playing for for years and have never had an experience as polished as Adventure Zone or Critical Role,but like... I still have a ton of fun.

Cool aspirational things are good.

I think its less the actual play and more the actual play setting both expectations and setting up some frustrating blinders on people coming in. There are a lot of experiences people have had, me included, from 'I want to play d&d5e and only this because its what they play on TAZ or CR' to 'uh actually this is how Matt Mercer handles problem X and we should be doing it like that' or even the common 'why do you run your game like CR' which can be the worst feeling. Matt's even talked about how depressing it is to hear 'the Matt Mercer effect' become an actual term to describe this.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

There's a selfish part of me that wishes other systems that used to be mocked by the D&D crowd for doing that kinda stuff already were getting the 'spotlight', yea, but honestly I also had a younger cousin gush to me about her D&D character and I'd have to be some kinda psycho to go 'neeeeeyah actually you'll find that D&D's rules aren't optimal for such storytelling your group is playing the wrong system'.

I think thats really a big part of it for me as well, I'm glad people are now able to go play their cool characters but it make me a little bit depressed to know it's still such a huge battle to get people to try other systems because of the buy in being so linked to D&D. I'm running a game essentially for that reason at the moment and it's a bit frustrating to know I'm being reset to scratch to get people to move off of it to try something else.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arthil posted:

There's more than a few people around here who I think would respond like sexpig by night's example, however.

Is this a shot at me or what? idgi

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arthil posted:

It's not, no. There are a lot of people who almost seem to take offense to someone wanting to do something mechanically bad for story purposes.

Sure but honestly it's going to get me down a little watching it play out or experiencing it firsthand because more often than not I don't see that mechanical sacrifice for story does pay out much? Idk I've gotten to try this through a few roll20 games and I'm yet to see that kind of story decision really get a payoff in D&D I don't think it can with some real work from both player and GM. I think thats what really gets people antsy about jumping in and saying something.

If I'm honest I think that shouldn't have to be a choice that is possible to make at all in the framework of the game. The decision should be 'which mechanic do you pick that pushes the story forward' with all your choices being made giving you different story opportunities but thats a whole different discussion.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Desiden posted:

Huh, that helps explain a lot about the new player we added last year to our roll20 4e game. She's definitely been more interested in pursuing more of the high drama/torrid romantic angst elements than the group traditionally has. Which is fine, it just took a bit of trial and error for my old groggy brain to figure out how to integrate that into our stories. Luckily both she and the group seem happy with where things are.

:unsmith:

It's real nice to see more of this at least cause its what I've spent a good chunk of my rpg life trying to play myself and get people to do more of but I mean this rolls back to not thinking D&D is a good medium for this and instead lets all hang out and play some monsterhearts an extremely gay game of teenage angst.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

whydirt posted:

Nicole Byers would be an amazing GM

Would 100% watch this.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Speaking of Critical Role, I'm enjoying it, starting with Season 2. And I am kinda not getting the complaints about editing or whatever, because at least at the start of this campaign, most of Episode 2 is spent with the players utterly failing to find the plot, and the DM kind of just rolling with it but also kinda being unhelpful and not really giving them any obvious direction. So ... that felt pretty close to an actual D&D session, only with way better voice acting.

Critical Role is a whole different beast to what most people were discussing back there, as far as I know they don't really do any editing and is more included in the 'unrealistic expectations' and 'dont get to see the work going into it out of session to see how it gets to here' categories than any of the editing stuff people were talking about.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

oh my god I forgot that was it, yea. He got bofa'd by some lady when he started whining about people bringing up the very public issue he was tied to and deleted everything.

I think that's the hardest a bofa has ever hit someone, the nuclear strike of bofa.

Holy poo poo I never knew that, is that saved somewhere because thats unbelievable power if so. I remember Wil Weaton disappeared from the net a bit ago but I never knew why or cared enough to find out.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

This guy also extreme sus for Zak S sockpuppet btw.

https://twitter.com/vangy789

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Oh my loving god.

This god drat nightmare literally won't end. This is just way too much for me. I don't...know what the gently caress to even say.

It should not surprise you for more to come out, this guy is an absolute piece of poo poo and leaves a big old trail of abuse in his wake.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

What does "bofa" mean? Somehow I have never encountered that term before and the context isn't enough on its own for me to figure it out.

It's the thing that Steve Jobs got and ultimately killed him :(

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

No. Zak and D&D are separate things.

Zak "D&D 5e Contributor and Rapist" Smith and Mike "Gave abuse victim details to Rapist and D&D5e Lead Developer" Mearls just to be clear on whose who.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I know. I'm already kinda disappointed in our DM, who bought into D&D so hard that he's kinda unwilling to run anything else. Hopefully the rest of my friends will be more willing to join me in dropping the product like the toxic waste it is.

Don't stress too much about that to be honest, some people are just unable to kind of see or interact with the stuff outside of their cone of vision especially when it comes to showing a big old black mark against things they really enjoy.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Sidestep posted:

I mostly lurk and don't post, but I love the community that exists here. In the spirit of that, regarding Jayme Gates, she is a personal friend of mine and I have invited her to register here to engage with the community.

I feel like this is a place she will fit and can find some of the support she desperately needs in a time like this.

If she does decide to join, I will let her introduce herself to you goons.

I mean that would be cool if she does, I hope people can find a safe place to talk about rpgs and SA TG has done a good job at keep lovely people out for the most part.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MollyMetroid posted:

bedlamdan and monsterenvy and plutonis are all posting in this very thread though

This is more a comment on how poo poo other rpg sites are than SA being good tbh.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Sidestep posted:

After talking with Jaym a bit, she said it was cool to let you folks know her response to the invite.

"I will join once I get some energy to deal with new places. (Yay social anxiety.)"

Sooner or later, she will poke her head in and add her voice.

Yeah absolutely, real talk it would be good to get an influx of a lot of people who were pushed out or had to deal with the loving nightmare of the rpg 'community', more often than not they're cool people with unique takes and interesting ideas which would make this place better.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I have argued with monsterenvy literally non stop since the opening of the 5e thread, and real talk leave him alone at this point. None of this poo poo is helping anyone, if his posting angers you that much hit the ignore button on him.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Anyone have a good RPG system that isnt made by rapists/rape apologists

I don't think FFG has had any poo poo like that coming out their doors? I don't know if thats because they just keep poo poo locked up tight there.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

moths posted:

I feel like he's referencing Dark Heresy, which infamously buried that you get +20% on normal / routine skill checks.

God I remember that way too well, its basically a giant neon sign indicating why the vague naming of 'how difficult something is' can cause so much damage and assumption of how to play.

+0 was the test for 'challenging' but doing something but people assuming your normal checks themselves should be challenging (the beginner adventure gives most checks as +0 too which makes things even more confusing) and your basic attack is at +0. The big assumption it misses is that most standard things your special agent types are doing should be at +10 and you pretty much are always aiming + attacking which means you're rolling at +10 with even beginner gear. Thanks to confusing general language though people always forget this and it turns into a game about incompetent idiots.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Also, I would note that if you're like me and are bad at setting consequences and you forget rules a bunch of the time, you can turn Blades into goofy slapstick in which the players realize halfway through the dinner party assassination they're pulling off/attending that they've got the wrong target, and now they need to try and desperately keep the guy from drinking the poisoned whiskey, which will make him immediately combust. :v:

But yeah, I would say that Blades is pretty clear on its actual, intended tone throughout.

Blades in the Dark is just a drat fine game in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I love this idea of Blades in the Screwball Comedy.

Hitman in the dark.