Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

"When a wizard summons a monster to give flanking for the rogue's sneak attack or casts bull's strength to enhance the fighter or uses a wall to divide the enemy or brings the barbarian back from the brink with breath of life, that's Pathfinder."

When you buy a make-believe tavern for $5000 and lock yourself into a protection racket, that's Pathfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Roadie posted:

And, of course, "draw weapon" takes an action, but "ready spell components" doesn't.

R E A L I S M

I've heard that in PF2, spells require one action to cast per component type (V, S, M). So that at least would handle that part in the future.

Then again, I fully expect that the vast majority of spells in PF2 are suddenly all V, S only. So that you can cast + move in the same turn, exactly like things are right now.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Jesus, that video...

So they reached out to Roll20 for sponsorship and got rebuffed for being "five white guys". (I'm going to take his word for that.)

Let me translate that for you: These guys approached Roll20 and said, "please give us free stuff and we'll namedrop you just like we've done tons of time in the past", but Roll20 realized that the white guy segment of the market was already pretty well catered to, and they now want to branch out. As such, the value of handing out free stuff for Roll20 to these people is actually quite low in their estimation. So instead of giving away free stuff for relatively low returns, they want to give free stuff to someone who they think might give them bigger returns. As such, in this case the sentiment that the best person should get the job, means that for this marketing strategy the best person isn't a white guy for a change.

And you know, sure, I get it. It sucks when you don't get something because of an inherent trait like ethnicity or sex, rather than your actions or ideas. That feels unfair. But it can be a totally legit thing. Like, they're not going to cast Samuel L. Jackson to play a straight-up version of Goldilocks, now are they? And if Roll20 decided that they've already given enough sponsorship to white guys and now wants something else, that feels bad. Of course it does. That's how human instinct works.

But this happened during the first season of Save or Dice, he said. Which was a year ago. You had to release a video about it last week, and you still feel this strongly about it?

Get the gently caress over it already.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Bedlamdan posted:

Roll20 has already been a subject of controversy for different reasons recently, largely over the reddit thing, he probably just wanted to weigh in with his own experiences.

That's a good point. I don't keep track of reddit so this had kind of slipped by me, that would explain why now of all times he made a video.

I still maintain he's casting himself too much in a victim role here though, and his feelings on the matter seem... not appropriate? Misguided? There's a word for what I want to say here, I'm sure, I just can't think of it right now.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
So remember that DnDSports thing? That's already been changed, their new name is RPGSports.
https://rpgsports.tv/news/expanding-to-rpgsports/

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Serf posted:

but as internet pedants and callous assholes will readily point out: rocketry

I loving hate that myth. The age of modern rocketry arguably began with Robert Goddard, an American scientist, in the goddamn 1920's. Yes, during the war Germany developed the V2 - poster child of the potential of the rocket. But that was just a logical iteration of pre-existing technology, rockets would've been developed with or without the Nazis just the same.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Meinberg posted:

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to talk about this, but I recently put up a blog post about strategies that game designers and runners can employ to make their games less appealing to fascists.

What are "emotional safety rules"? Do you have examples of games which include those? I for one am not familiar with the term.

I find your discussion of biological determinism superficial to the point of being confusing. If I make ogres stronger than halflings, is that not also biological determinism? Even though I should have none of that, to any degree? Yet I can't think of a good reason to give them similar physical brawn, whether from a "realism" standpoint or genre-emulation. Or is having strong ogres (or giants, or titans, or dragons, whatever) categorically engaging in racism, in your view?

Violence. Yeah, you called it, you're gonna get push back. Here it is. I think you're conflating real world violence with sanitized, distant, entertainment fake-violence. D&D combat is no more visceral or traumatic than one chess piece taking another. The same goes for horror, by the way. People get thrills from watching horror movies precisely because it gives them the perceived positive, a thrill, without having to experience any actual danger. People can watch Halloween or John Wick without being harmed or traumatized. While fascist regimes do employ violence to crush dissent, I think you've focused too much on their method rather than their goal. Pretend-violence in tabletop games is not inherently attractive to fascists, I think, only the ideologies which that pretend-violence might (fictionally) serve.

Not much to say on the rest.

All in all I absolutely do applaud your goals, but I think the article could do with some improvements. I need to be told what emotional safety rules are. I need to more info on biological determinism. And if I'm wrong on violence, I need to be told how and why.

Edit:
Something else that just popped into my head. You said that violence should be something which "can only be done to protect", but that doesn't help. Real life Nazis for example did think they were protecting their way of life. Protecting it from Jewish conspiracies, from genetic inferiority, from communism, etc. And if the violence is scary and harmful... well, that's a good thing, to them. Those are exactly the feelings they want to instill in their victims. (See also: the proposed deterrent function of putting children into cages.)

So I don't see how this solves the problem, sorry to say.

Sage Genesis fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 22, 2018

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
If this is all just a joke, it's one of those which ends in, "The Aristocrats!", isn't it?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Dawgstar posted:

Example: "How are you different from those who German Jews used to fear, or those who Coptic and Chinese Christians now fear? How is this not hypocrisy? How does this ban build us as a community?"

And then one of the mods responds, "We're against the ones putting kids in camps, so there's that."

Other example: "Congrats, you are now left wing fascists that cannot accept that people might have a view you do not like"

Dude must really like being able to say he supports putting children in cages or something. An elf-pretend game forum telling him he can't say that there makes them fascists, somehow.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Plutonis posted:

Wait a second those are just Englishmen.

Gruumsh confirmed that after Orxit, those 350 million gold pieces shan't be going to cure wounds potions after all.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
So I'm looking over the rules of that RPGSports thing. Amongst the magic items, which you need to pick up on the battlefield itself, I noticed the following:

RPGSports rules doc posted:

Potion of Speed: Until the end of this match, you gain 15ft increased movement speed.

Potion of Heroism: Until the end of this match, you gain 10 Temporary Hit Points. For the same
Duration, you are under the effect of the bless spell (no Concentration required). This blue
potion bubbles and steams as if boiling.

Potion of Slipperiness: This potion's container looks empty but feels as though it holds liquid.
When you drink it, enemies have Disadvantage to Attack Rolls against you. The effect ends
early if you Attack or Cast a Spell.

Notice how the first two have a listed duration, but the third one doesn't. It just says "when you drink it" which in game terms is an instant event that cannot be interrupted by any attacks. It does say it ends early so it must have some duration, it just doesn't say what it is.

Also it ends early if you "Attack or Cast a Spell". Sounds solid, right? Except due to the capitalization, this means very specific actions. As written the effect would not end from an opportunity attack, because not every attack is an Attack. (Thanks 5e!) I can't be 100% sure but I somewhat doubt this behavior is intentional.

Edit:
Man what an unprofessional mess. About 38 minutes in, their "Analyst Desk" explains the drafting phase. And she explains it goes:
[Ban ABAB Ban ABAB]
This is wrong. Their rules document clearly shows a snake draft format, which goes:
[Ban ABBA Ban BAAB]

When your analyst desk doesn't know how the drafting phase goes, you know you're in for one hell of a ride. She even says that the ABAB format might favor team B a little which is :psyduck:
(And for the uninitiated, snake draft is super common in sports, esports, and gaming. Just google the term and you see it pops up in all sorts of contexts.)

WTF??
I fast-forwarded to ~45 minutes, they are actually using the ABAB format? Instead of snake draft, the most standard drafting method of all precisely because of how it doesn't favor either side, and which they spell out in their own rules?

Yoooo what the gently caress is happening here? They're doing it ABAB BABA. You're giving two picks in a row to one single team instead of both? You're sort of, half-snaking it here? No. Just... no.

Edit2:
Ok and this is just me nitpicking now, but...
They say the human cleric has "high AC", by which they mean 16. Which really isn't anything special. But better yet, they also point out that the warlock has low AC. Except they also gave that character at-will Mage Armor, so with his Dex his true AC is actually always 15. Just one point shy of the "high AC" cleric. It's nothing major but I do wonder if whoever wrote those character descriptions actually understood them.

Edit3:
So it sat through it all. That was... rough.

The teams were clearly new to their characters and D&D in general. They didn't know what they could do or what the rules were.

They didn't know that a Sorcerer can't Quicken a spell and cast it twice, because if you cast a spell as a bonus action, then the only other spellcasting allowed that round is a cantrip. Note that the Blue Team won because they broke the rules on this one. I don't blame the players, they probably got told this'd be a fun little afternoon and instead got thrown into the deep end of 5e, those poor loving bastards.

They use strict timers for turn-length and match-length, but also waste loads of time with questions due to their inexperience. Wisely, most people played cautiously because nobody wants to be the one who Dashes forward and then gets nailed with the first spell/attack. The map was far too big for the time limit. This is why map design is a science in competitive video games. Seriously, if your time limit is 45 minutes, then don't design a match where it takes 30 minutes for the first damage to be dealt. This is not an exaggeration, this is really what happened.

Their own tournament rules say there are no death saves; if you're at 0 you're just out, with the exception that healing spells can "respawn" you. The DM forgot that and let a character make death saves anyway.

When the Tiefling got damaged, the DM asked if he wanted to take a reaction. As the player is obviously new to all this, he blurted out some guesses. "Dodge? Retreat?" Which made him a laughing stock to twitch chat. Since I'm a grown man with a working brain (allegedly), I can tell that the DM was trying to hint at using Hellish Rebuke. The player couldn't know that so instead it all got silly and ran out the clock of the attacking player while they were doing the guessing pantomime.

It's 12:13 in the afternoon here and I already feel like I need a drink...

Edit4:
Oh gently caress off!

Watching the post-game section now. One of the analysts correctly realized that Scorching Ray can't be cast twice the same round by Quickening, but then concludes with, "But hey, golden rule: what the DM says goes!"

While that has some merit in a tabletop game with your friends (particularly in corner case scenarios where the standard rules might not have a clear answer), in a combat tournament with a $5000 prize pool? When you're just breaking a rule that is definitely very much spelled out in the PHB? drat, what a poor joke. That's no way to organize a tournament.

Sage Genesis fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 11, 2018

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

sexpig by night posted:

Wait this was a prize money thing? This wasn't just a gently caress around and find out kinda experiment?

https://rpgsports.tv/

Scroll down a little bit and you'll see that it's got a $5000 prize pool. So it's, you know, a gently caress around kinda experiment with real money on the line.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Serf posted:

i'll see you the wrong lobster analogy and raise you the new hotness:

https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/1058359188278120448

Is this the modern version of claiming that, like, your greatness and correctness are foretold in the stars or something? Like, "That star over there governs my fate and it is ascending in the house of Mars, so clearly I will be victorious in battle and you're a moron for doubting me."

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Serf posted:

jupiter is bigger than mercury and this is why communism is bad

I feel like there's an Exalted plothook in here somewhere.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
"Gays are getting exterminated, and a straight white man found a way to get some personal profit out of it" is boundary-pushing and progressive now? Because it sounds pretty old and familiar, honestly. (Plus, you know, being... shall we say, in poor taste?)

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Warthur posted:

It's not "charitable donations", it's getting the power in the hands of those most effectively able to use it.

With only a few exceptions TTRPGs have specifically been party-based games since their inception. 1 solo character vs. 1 monster is always at a disadvantage compared to 4 PCs against 4 monsters, because the 4 PCs can cover for each others' weaknesses. What's wrong with a system that leans into that and shifts it from Linear Fighter/Quadratic Wizard to Linear Fighter + Quadratic synergistic support effects/Quadratic wizard + Linear synergistic support effects?

Sounds like MOBA "Carry" characters a bit, which require Support especially in the early game to shine. You could probably make a pretty cool RPG around that kind of dynamic, but D&D is not and never was that game. Wizards who get to cast "win the fight" several times a day don't need to buff the Fighter anymore. Wizards who can summon their own extra Fighters don't need to buff the Fighter anymore. When spell slots are limited, and you have some great non-buff options, and the Fighter can be one failed save away from being negated, it's smart to not buff the Fighter.

I would 100% love to see a game where the Wizard is just this buffing force-multiplier of per-hit bonus damage and protection auras or whatever, and the Fighter types somehow make extra good use of them.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Nuns with Guns posted:

Also, Jessica Price has been tweeting more about harassment at past Paizocons, Bill Webb, and being fired from Paizo:

Oh, lovely. The geek social fallacies writ large, it seems.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
I'm sorry, I just got home from work and I'm pretty tired, so maybe I just don't have good focus right now, but what the gently caress is going on here?

e:
I mean, it sort of looks like someone's saying that RPG authors should be paid based on games played rather than sales? But that's self-evidently one of the dumbest ideas of the year, so, that can't be it.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Warthur posted:

Isn't the entire backstory of the game based on the excessive use of defiler magic destroying the ecosystem?

Depends on which version of the setting you want to go with. Defiler magic is one option. Another one is halflings being the original master race whose genetic engineering and terraforming projects went wrong. There is a reason people don't like the later developments of 2e DS as much.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I helped edit Legends Of The Wulin, never got paid, no shock there.

I helped write Legends Of The Wulin, did get paid, but it took a lot of time and prodding. Can confirm that others didn't get paid.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Kai Tave posted:

Going by this, mostly a bunch of 3.X d20 poo poo nobody cares about and the Infinity RPG for Mophidus.

Wait... Infinity? The Modiphius 2d20 game? That's by Justin "Dissociated Mechanics" Alexander? What? What? Whaaaaaaaaaaat.

For those who don't know:
In the 2d20 engine you roll a small dice pool to try and get multiple successes. Excess successes you score above the difficulty can be scored in a communal pool called Momentum, which can be spent by you or other party members to get certain benefits, most notably purchasing extra dice for a roll. (There's also something called Heat which is like the inverse, a point of pools the DM gets to use to make bad stuff happen.)

This is the game where the mechanics LITERALLY say that because Dave managed to jump over a chasm, Alice can get to be extra accurate with firing her gun five minutes later. But only once because then the Momentum is used up. And also, because of a fluke on a check to resist poison, an enemy might be able to use full auto on his attack next round (because one can generate Heat and the other uses it up).

And this is the guy who railed against One-Handed Catch in football games or whatever? For real?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

homullus posted:

Pretty sure the actual 2d20 part was Jay Little (X-Wing Miniatures, Blood Bowl Team Manager, WFRP 3e, Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG).

Ok, sure. But Justin apparently wrote on the core book and he's also listed as line developer (I checked in my copy). How the balls do you hate dissociated mechanics and yet be line developer of a 2d20 game, which might as well be called Mechanic: the Dissociating?

That is a rhetorical question, I know the answer. I guess I'm just taken aback by the chutzpah.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

CitizenKeen posted:

I have a reasonably strong dislike of Numenera, but Cyphers as a mechanical idea ("give players one-time options to break encounters wide open") is something I love and have stolen for many other systems.

I'm not really familiar with that game, but how is this different from potions and scrolls? Or are Cyphers basically like those except really, really powerful?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Looks like Mearls spoke up:

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/1095486649977384960

And by "spoke up" I mean of course, said basically nothing.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why do people keep saying this, when it's been explicitly stated earlier in the thread that the money WotC would be getting from the bundle is going to RAINN

Because that's just speculation on our part and WotC didn't actually say they would in that statement of theirs? Unless I missed some tweet from a WotC employee or something, they basically implied that they would donate without actually saying anything of the sort.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Sidestep posted:

I mostly lurk and don't post, but I love the community that exists here. In the spirit of that, regarding Jayme Gates, she is a personal friend of mine and I have invited her to register here to engage with the community.

I feel like this is a place she will fit and can find some of the support she desperately needs in a time like this.

If she does decide to join, I will let her introduce herself to you goons.

Hell if she decides to join, I'll buy the account for her.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Sidestep posted:

I offered the same. We will see what she decides.

The sheer fact she is being believed after years of being doubted is in her words, "a huge relief."

Ha, should've guessed that. Well whether so joins or not, I'm glad people believe her.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

LongDarkNight posted:

If Pundit releases secret emails and betrays Mearls after Mearls betrayed Cook I think I might die laughing.

I think it's like a Sith Lord/Apprentice thing by this point?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

MadScientistWorking posted:

There's transphobia in 13 True Ways.

Wait what? Please elaborate?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Dawgstar posted:

If I ever had a game I could see myself hiring you, OKS and a couple others of the Morgrave crew to write in-character flavor text or something of that nature because you guys are good at it. (I'd pay more than that, though.)

I think I'll never stop being weirded out by the idea that we have an actual audience there.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Darwinism posted:

Funny how, in his giant post of cherry-picked screenshots to support his claims, he doesn't include any of these messages of support from the silent majority.

e:f;b

"I was on RPG.net (safe space) and the swine were whispering to each other how Zak is doing great for the industry, got them some great adventures at the table and will definitely win all of the ENnies in 2020."
— Jacob Wohl

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Weapons of the Gods does the 'integrate characters into the world and its history and lore' better than any other game. Pity the dice system is so awful.

Hey now! WotG has its issues but I'll not hear any slander against the dice system. Matching up sets is fun!

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's a bitch to do with a VTT system.

Oh. I've never played with a VTT, I wouldn't know. But that does sound plausible.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Angrymog posted:

There's some comment about them competing in tournaments?

It doesn't sound like a RPG group.

Maybe a Magic tournament team or an e-sports group?

The entire thing sounds sketchy from both ends.

Maybe it has something to do with D&DSports? Oh wait, sorry, RPGSports, because WotC told them to knock that poo poo off.
https://rpgsports.tv/

But that whole thread is weird. Any expression of confusion or asking for information gets attacked. There is no mention of which team this was, no proof offered of the contract or damages, no proof that the money we'd donate is going to the victim... If this thing is legit then it's a textbook example of how not to help your own cause. I'm not going to throw money into the internet just because someone yells at me that it's the right thing to do. That's how scams operate.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
I think I'm becoming some sort of new wave grog or something, because the way "the D&D community" is just casually synonymous with "people who watch Critical Role" now is... ugh, no sir, I don't like it.

Which is a minor aside from the main point, really. Yeah Wendy's sounds bad (we don't have a Wendy's in the Netherlands, I don't know 'em) and I don't begrudge anyone who actually sticks to his principles like that.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

PST posted:

His 'Avatar card' doesn't even make any sense for the minimal '1987 called and wants its systems back' description of how the game works.

It just makes no sense, on so many levels.

Wait what?

If I read this right, you have some primary attributes which somehow determine secondary attributes. Ok, not exactly elegant but that's nothing strange. But then...

Physique determines Strength, Dexterity, and Charisma.
IQ determines Intelligence, Mana, and Magic.
Intuition determines Perception, Wisdom, Mana, and Miracles.

Ok I can deal with Mana being there twice. Maybe it's based on the type of caster you are (arcane or divine, highly original). Or maybe it relies on both.

But then it lists the other attributes below: Str, Int, Dex, Cha. Where's Wisdom? Where's Perception? Wait, Intelligence says that it determines "Detection"? Isn't that what Perception does? Hang on, Charisma determines Mana as well? So... Mana is calculated from a primary stat, another primary stat, and a secondary stat all at once?

Experience Points is listed as a type of stat? What?

And then on the second sheet, it again lists Str, Int, Dex, and Cha, with space underneath to note down skills. Sure, with you so far. Still not sure where Wisdom and Perception have ended up, but whatever, they're a lost cause.
Except then it also lists To-Hit as a stat with sub-skills? Maybe per individual weapon type or something? And same for damage? Ok... I guess? I mean "Damage" is not really a stat or a skill (and yet "Combat" is according to the first sheet). But then there's also Movement. Which also has sub-skills. But they can't be Leap or Balance, because according to the first sheet that's also part of Dex, so movement doesn't actually include all movement?

Hang on there's a Constitution tertiary stat as well and it seems to be not based on Physique somehow.

drat.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

TheNamedSavior posted:

Go play Dark Sun. Dark Sun ROCKED and is THE ONLY fantasy setting in TTRPGs where EVERY king in the setting is OBJECTIVELY EVIL and the only good option is to murder the gently caress out of the immortal kings and then start an democracy.

My friend, I'm literally going to run a Dark Sun session in... about six hours, as per the time of this writing. :hfive:

(Of course, I don't actually use a version of D&D to run it. Most of the AD&D 2e settings are terrible to actually play with a D&D. I use Modiphius' Conan.)

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Can't be worse than the one Green Ronin came up with a while back, can it?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
"Hoisted by their own grognard."

The prophecy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
Dark Souls RPG will be 5e, you say? Why wait for the official product? Here's all you need!

Random NPC Personality Table [1D6]
1. Ends all conversations with a chuckle.
2. Ends all conversations with a snicker.
3. Ends all conversations with a cackle.
4. Ends all conversations with a giggle.
5. Ends all conversations with a chortle.
6. Ends all conversations with ominous laughter.

Reward, please.