Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Cool Dad posted:

I suspect that this frees their hands to do whatever they want with OGL 2.1 or whatever, which they will use with the next D&D. They've figured out that they can't retroactively close the floodgates on 5e, but I'm not at all convinced that they're going to let 6e remain nearly as open.

They did that with 4th edition and the GSL, and people just kept making 3.5 stuff instead (like Paizo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That's just Blood Bowl

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Chakan posted:

Please, the boosters weren’t $1,000… they were only $250 each, and sold in sets of four.

But also unusable in any official game capacity.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Comstar posted:

I believe the cannon was on Breeds hill.

I learnt that from an old war game rule book.

The battle occurred on Breed's Hill, although poor map skills led to its being called the battle of Bunker Hill.

Also the cannonballs would have likely been fired from ships for that one.

But to keep this relevant: 5e is a truffle system for horse and musket play.

Honestly I'm not sure what you would even do in an AWI RPG.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Cessna posted:

The tv series Turn: Washington's Spies was pretty decent, maybe something based on that?

A spy saga could work (but that show is historically awful).

Something akin to a small group on the frontier would also work, like Last of the Mohicans except AWI instead of F&I/SYW.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I can't wait for it to summon an Elder God.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I had no idea who Zak S is, and now that I do, I can safely say he looks exactly like I expected someone with that reputation to look.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Critical Role already plays other games from time to time

Comstar posted:

I’m really confused on why 2 different ones? Is it critical role and critical role advanced?’

One is a shorter game, not meant for long arcs and campaigns, and fits any genre. The other is the real big news.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Magnetic North posted:

I sincerely wonder whether you'd be better off in the hands of unaccountable capitalist thugs with a history of violence wrapped in a public perception of self-important deification or the Pinkertons.

Depends on how dark your skin is.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Kurieg posted:

That's still ability scores they're just removing granularity.

No, it's just the bonuses, which is the only thing anyone uses for anything.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

hyphz posted:

I would have thought very strongly about saying it if you hadn't. Even blooming Feng Shui went that way.

It's almost as if random RPG authors can't come up with an authentic way a revolution could succeed in a way that doesn't go full circle, and certainly not a setting in which random players could come up with that. But they have to pretend they can.

And yes, I think the point of the PF2 "reboot" is to try and remove all the vestiges of anything that might inherit the OGL from the system, so that they'll be the first books under ORC. This may be slightly difficult, as Blue Rose also deleted the ability scores and was OGL, and the OGL is infectious.

Removing ability scores isn't related to the OGL, those mechanics aren't copyrightable anyway, from my understanding. They're removing them because they do nothing and, since they have to remove things anyway, now is a good time.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

I've said it before and will say it again: The primary qualification for an MBA appears to be clinical sociopathy, and those are the people making most of the decisions in modern capitalism.

It is definitely what I learned when getting my own MBA, which I don't use and regret, because I'm not an evil person. But the classes were definitely filled with evil people.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

apropos of nothing but "3 Action Economist" is a pro-tier username

Thank you.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Supports the Trevor Project

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/starfinder-solidarity-bundle-paizo-inc-books

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Nice!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lamuella posted:

Unless I'm reading it wrong they've said they're using the Open Roleplaying Content license.

All of the verbiage on Kickstarter just says Creative Commons, which is what the 5e SRD is under now.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Thanlis posted:

They say:

It’s ambiguous.

Oh, oops, missed that very obvious part, I guess.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

What a piece of poo poo

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Seems bold to go up against Disney, but then maybe they're hoping Disney will just settle it by buying the IP for too much money.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

CitizenKeen posted:

Not suing Disney.

Of course not, Disney wouldn't have any knowledge of the prior ownership of IP or anything. Ravensberger was contracted by them to make a gae, that's all they cared about.

But they're still an interested party.

I suppose they could just bury Ravensberger and tell Upper Deck to make the gaem instead.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

I think commissars' role got even more confused thanks to that doofy movie about Enemy at the Gate which gave us that 'one man holds the rifle, one man holds the bullets' thing that to my understanding never happened to the Russian military.

It happened to Russia in the first world war, but not the soviets in the second.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

LatwPIAT posted:

In some very early material Commissars are also very suspicious of the Cult of the Emperor, much like an ideologue Soviet political officer would have been very suspicious of religious soldiers.

Levies at Stalingrad and encircled troops at Brest had it happen. It was rare and unusual, but not unprecedented.

That was a fun read, thanks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, I mean the point of the scene is to show the desperation of the 62nd army of the time, and there's some truth to it, but the only real way to tell it in a story like that is to have Zaitsev be one of those guys levied into it, as part of the whole thrust of the movie.

It's honestly a pretty hokey movie overall, but i don't really think the inaccuracies are the issue with it.

That's because you're not a reenactor who has to hear that poo poo *all the time* :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

If anything it's Gell-Mann Amnesia

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Pakxos posted:

Yes, and the efforts to do so were so effective nazi apologist were unable to publish reams of material enshrining the nazi-german military as a heroically outnumbered band of elite soldiers in the eyes of the west.

We didn't really deplatform though, we put them in charge of Berlin, because those dastardly communists were right next door.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

moths posted:

This one isn't even hard:

Any social media is going to have nazis on it.

If you publicly signal and advertise that they will be identified by ~some means~ yours will have fewer. They're terrified of being tracked and listed like zika mosquitoes or sick herd animals. Look at how they freaked out about glowies.

You can't eliminate all of them, but you can 1) dissuade and disincentivize by identifying their accounts as hate groups and 2) denying them any audience but having their accounts ignored by default.

The missing piece is a few pressers inviting cooperation with the ACLU, SLPC, and feds about the lists.

Or sure, do the Musk thing and invite atomwaffen back on or whatever the gently caress. Nobody listen to me, I only have bad ideas

e: You don't get rid of them by saying you don't want them. You get rid of them by being a place they don't desire to be, where the cost outweighs the benefit. Having an actual verification process would help, too. Not just blue-checks-for-cash, but "We've got your drivers' license on file" verification.

You could do as this while also banning them

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

moths posted:

People have been trained to see someone say "nazis have a right to social media!" and will mentally fill in gaps to satisfy that expectation.

A nazi filter is a better tool for minimizing a site's nazi problem than trying to play whack-a-mole and banning each while when you've also got a revolving door account policy.

Ban where you can, but a more effective process involves a multi-pronged approach which includes filters and fostering the gently caress out of the perception that your site isn't a safe space for nazis. Banning leads to that perception, but if that's the absolute extent of consequence?

"Nazis go on a by-default ignored list which we'll enthusiastically share with authorities" is a dissuasion tool.

"Nazis will be temporarily inconvenienced until they use another Hotmail login" is another, sure.

I mean, I don't think anybody's innovating to make the world a better place here - It's team Jack Dorsey.

But the idea of automatically winnowing down your toxic elements' platforming seems like a more permanent step than just banning and acting surprised when they return.

I'm also in a bad headspace this week, and I feel like I'm doing a pretty ok job of describing this and not getting baited by some obviously dogshit snipes.

Maybe I'm not though, so gently caress me I guess.

Logging in with a new Hotmail account would also temporarily avoid the ignore list, they can just keep making new accounts to use.

So may as well just loving ban them.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think it's a pretty rad moustache.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1678448528169869317?s=20

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

They also showed all the new races, subraces, classes, subclasses, spells, and a new NPC.

But that's a less clickable headline.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm not even sure I understand the original post.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

This was posted on the WoD thread, but feels very relevant to this thread as well:

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/werewolf-the-apocalypse-5th-edition-and-the-anti-indigeneity-in-the-gaming-industry.912221/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

WOTC really just can't stop stepping in poop.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It doesn't really matter, it took half a second to see it was AI art. They have proofreaders, editors, art directors, &c. Whether it's incompetence or malice, they're still culpable.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don’t think they knew it was AI until today.

Then they never bothered to even look at it

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lumbermouth posted:

Grafton, NH would disagree.

As someone who lives near Grafton, we like our bear friends, actually.

Hostile V posted:

Libertarians on the other hand...

This, though... yeah.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 7, 2023

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I know it's more videogame than trad game, but unity is doing the same dumb poo poo WOTC did with respect to charging fees for their previously free stuff for developers who earn over a certain amount.

And so far it's going exactly the same way.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

ChubbyChecker posted:

why watch some theater kids play rpgs?

Because it's entertaining.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah WotC is one of the most profitable parts of Hasbro so it’s a bit surprising they were hit at all. Lots of reports were stuff like “Hasbro struggling in many areas, WotC doing great.”

Minimize staff, maximize profit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

LOL that hasbro/wotc can't stop shooting themselves in the dick. Worked out okay for me, it turns out I like pathfinder better and I never would have tried it if it weren't for wotc being so dumb.

Yeah, same. Obviously.