Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

hell yeah new thread. now im technically caught up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

stop talking about cartoons jc

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

He has posted a long thing in response. Quoting here because it's insanely long and I haven't read it yet, and who knows, it may disappear at some point as these things can do.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...l=1#post7409271

e: Here's the thesis statement, near as I can tell, among all this self-aggrandizing and painful-to-read BS. I uh ... think he should have just stepped away from the internet for a few days or weeks.

Unfortunately, some see this period as providing fertile ground in which to plant seeds which serve their own destructive agendas. They selfishly undermine the integrity of the entire process by use of lies and distortions in order to gain personal satisfaction against someone, not in service to the needful revelation of genuine bad actors and reprehensible behavior, but to gain a measure of revenge or advantage or personal aggrandizement. They diminish the voices of those that should be heard, and that is a shameful thing at a time when honesty is the most powerful weapon we have against the shadows that have covered terrible actions and poor behaviors.

and

"That is not journalism; that's constructing an editorial hit piece for a specific agenda. In this case, I perceive Helton's agenda to be cast as a "heroic investigator, uncovering dirty little secrets" in the gaming community. There is something good and decent about getting us to talk about these things, and revealing genuine truths and exposing bad actors... but if you do so without integrity, without clear sourcing and genuine journalistic effort, all you are doing is undermining the very goal you claim to fight for."

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

guys

what if bedladman...

is zak??!!? ?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

I haven't decided how or if I'm going to approach my group about giving up 5e. One guy is so invested he plays in two other games during the week. I may just force Spellbound Kingdoms or SotDL next time I run and hope it sticks.

*i say forlornly while looking at the shelf of other games they've refused to try*

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

x-poastin

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

It's probably dumb poo poo like only looking at exactly how much the project itself costs and not taking into account janitorial staff or keeping the lights on.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

The Lore Bear posted:

So, either the entire pre-POD/PDF tabletop industry is a pyramid scheme or you have no idea what words mean.

Money has to come from somewhere. Most industries that make things have some level of this "buying thing A pays for making upcoming thing B which will pay for future extensions of thing A". It used to be much less direct than kickstarter, but this is how budgets and finance work. If you're good at it, you can cost things so you don't drive yourself bankrupt with the process, instead costing in some level of support for future projects directly into what you're doing with the profit you make.

They clearly did not do this.

This, however, is a big problem if you make the market where this isn't allowed. I don't see how they'd ever enforce this, because I doubt they'd tell people what to do with their profits that they budget into their projects. That being said, given the absolutely backwards-rear end margins they've got, it'd be very easy to show that's what they did in this case but it could only really be definitively shown in cases where the budgets failed like this.

This is exactly not how they did this nor how ks works. There are no "profits" in a ks. That's not what it's for. It's a loan for developing a project. All of the financing is frontloaded for the budgeted costs. If they sell it afterwards then what you've described takes place.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

if mark diaz truman can write a game about the cartels, you are all gonna love my game about being a member of hamas

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

friend computer sounds like your mom, different for everyone

or tim sniffen from hello from the magic tavern

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887733

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

do all the bullshit ways to die in old modules like Palace of the Silver Princess (levels 1~3) where a snake hiding in some towels can blind you permanently or kill you.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Notahippie posted:

This is incidentally one of the things that pisses me off about the anarchists in Infinity - they literally have a hab named after Bakunin but the authors don't seem to know poo poo about how he proposed to order society or armed forces. It's such an irritating missed opportunity - it would be really cool to have a faction that truly embraced a hierarchyless approach to the military, and would even lead to some cool gameplay options.

god i wish Infinity's singular fluff guy understood this cause actual anarchists in the "protagonist" faction would drive the desu vulties mad

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

wow look at all these poasts did zak s announce his intention to poo poo his pants at chick fil a on the last day of gen con 2019?

...oh....

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Meinberg posted:

it turns out that analyzing and working on structural issues in the ttrpg industry also requires understanding and analyzing larger, societal structural issues, who would have guessed???

look pal, i come here to find out which osr writer poo poo their pants at which fast food joint and on which day of what con

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Warthur posted:

Halloween Jack shat his pants on this thread at 14:07 GMT, July 3rd 2019.

thank you

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

i never read dragonlance but all the guys who did thought Raistlin was the coolest motherfucker and a bunch of things are suddenly clicking into place

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

yeah the comedy comes from this guy saying that everyday he let's his kids out to play and within minutes they're beset by 30-50 wild hogs and he has to shoot all of them

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

this wild hogs thing has all of you hosed up bad

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

lmao i knew there'd be some hot take champions in here saying "it's fine they played the burger campaign; good even"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Way to invent your own narrative by misquoting people and inventing bullshit. Get your bullshit out of here.

don't sign you're poasts!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1180219441247703040

To me, what this says is 'oh poo poo, we had no idea what Wendy's is like.'

everyone in the comments acting like this is some 12th dimension chess that they'd planned all along

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

president sanders will finally make 5e illegal

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

lol if you think any serious d&d player would accept even the slightest risk when casting their spells

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Zereth posted:

Seven.

We have Garcian, Dan, Coyote, Kevin, KAEDE, Con, and Mask.

thank you

Kurieg posted:

Uhh.. 1+6=7

wrong

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

i choose to believe nerds were mad something wasn't anime enough

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

i was expecting a "is there anything else you'd like to tell us" but they've apparently caught on

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Cessna posted:

Really? I could have sworn that there was some sort of "must destroy the [object] or it doesn't count" twist, but it has been a very long time since I read the adventure.

p. sure there were scrolls scattered around and you had to use the right ones in the right order

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

it's definitely not as simple as "just do 50 damage"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Jerik posted:

I'm... not sure where you're seeing a contradiction?
The text there lists the ways he can be damaged, and then says the skull "takes 50 hit points before it is destroyed". In other words, he's immune to most forms of damage, but if you can deal damage to him you can destroy him by doing 50 points of damage. Which is exactly what I said.

The rest of the text goes on about the fates of souls he trapped if he's destroyed, but that's a separate matter from how to destroy him.

Because you're making it sound like you just wack him with a stick enough and that's that.

Jerik posted:

Nope. Acererak can be done in by dealing 50 hit points of damage to the skull, nothing else required.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

hire more women prison guards, am i rite folx

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

well, at least it's an apology and a promise to do better and not "due to your 'sensitivities' i must unfortunately become a nazi"

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

another fukin slenderman lol

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

big gnoll fan here

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

This topic is timely cause I had to shout a guy down last night since he would not shut the gently caress up about killing this pile of goblins that severely outnumbered us and had a hostage while I'm actively negotiating with them.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

monopoly jr is the superior monopoly

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

lol

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

It probably wasn't intended when this card released but doesn't the student here end up becoming an incredibly powerful planeswalker?

edit: this isn't a defense of it, just asking cause I don't know anything about magic

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

it should have been closed when people started talking about how military equipment was good and if you didn't like the f35 you're the real fascist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

quote:

Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk.

now, more than ever, you can buy our product