Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This is technically TG as an Industry, I think:

Has anyone here actually trying GM-for-Pay-ing? Or hired one I guess? I am curious about your experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

I worked at an afterschool program/summer camp for over three years where I GMed for children. ..

Froghammer posted:

I used to occasionally guest DM for D&D nights at a board game bar in Philadelphia. ... Longer-form I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with. I've gotten offers before, but it's a little too close to "paying someone to be your friend" for my comfort. The work I do on the campaigns I run is a labor of love, and making the transition of "labor of love" to "labor" sounds awful.

Dexo posted:

I've payed for two different games.

One was probably the best online with randos game I've played in lasted like 1 year and a half, until it wasn't lol, because some drama happened and the DM was completely unable to read the room got defensive, along with some other weird poo poo.

It seems like it's a cool gig if it's something you want to do. From a player's perspective it's not much different to me than like paying a wow sub, or paying to go see a movie. I'm paying for someone who's talented to find and curate a group that will play elfgames with, and for someone to put in the prep-work to help provide me with entertainment and fun.

I get as a DM not ever wanting to do it if it triggers a job vs fun hobby crisis for you. I don't think I would ever want to DM a game for money, as that level of expectation seems stressful.

Thanks!

I am considering giving it a go myself because, a) if I want to GM anything right now, finding some Internet randos is already my only option, so might as well get a buck out of it b) I could use the cash at the moment and c) I live somewhere where I could actually probably pay my bills by GMing two-three games a week.

Well, we'll see if I manage to do it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
And now he deleted his entire post history:

https://www.reddit.com/user/BastianWeaver/submitted/

On to the new sockpuppets!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

alg posted:

Nah, he blocked you :)

Ah. I've never directly interacted with him, heh.

Nice, I guess?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
What this merger doesn't do, unfortunately, is bring in any good webtech building expertise to either of the platforms, lol.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

That Wiki is not reflective of what sheets Roll20 actually has. Since the actual list is just a drop-down menu when you pick a sheet for a game, it's a little hard to provide a proper list, but this does a better job than that wiki:

https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets

Either way, I personally use both on a system by system basis. Foundry is a no-brainer for PF2, for instance, but in my opinion either of the Roll20 CoC sheets is better than the Foundry's CoC implementation last time I tested it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I use the browser addon that lets you host all maps and tokens on Imgur and stick to the Free tier of Roll20.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

piL posted:

All of this reminds me of an idea I had rolling in my head off and on for a decade or so--ive wondered how long it will be until a tabletop system emerges that is principle designed for online play, vice emulating an actual tabletop.

Roll 20 already tried with Burn Bryte, but from what I've heard of it (they killed it on release by making people buy it) "designed of online play" amounted to "oh yeah the rules are only available as handouts inside Roll20".

There probably will be something like that eventually, though. I see it as an integrated solution for a D&D-like game that, in a few clicks, will automatically generate a location and a battlemap for it, populate it with monsters and NPCs, generate unique tokens for them with a character creator editor, etc, all inside a VTT.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 18, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

Do you mean making customers pay money for what was clearly a proof-of-concept, or was there some sort of mandatory purchase with your subscription thing?

https://www.burnbryte.com/

It cost $30-$50 bucks to buy it in Roll20 Compendium form, basically. And no one bothered.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lumbermouth posted:

"Easily accessible by players" is also high up in there. No one I run games for is going to install a client to play a game, let alone connect to a self-hosted server.

For Foundry at least, connecting to a self-hosted server involves clicking a URL link that the GM posts in the game's Discord, which opens the game in the browser, just like Roll20.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nessus posted:

I tried connecting to a foundry session on my gaming laptop and it made my card chug harder than FFXIV and I still couldn't see anything on the map. It's possible the GM was doing something wrong since he was intending to show me, a non-campaign-player, some cool poo poo he'd set up on the map.

Yeah, it might have been some advanced walls + lights + effects + big map fuckery. Some of those plugins murder even pretty good PCs.

You can do that in Roll20 as well, though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://startplaying.games/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Crap, startplaying.games is a paid service? Modiphius is running a giveaway if you GM through them, and I was like "I'll GM for some randos, maybe make some friends, maybe get some swag". But I don't want to get in to the whole paid-GMing space.

You can just use it as a player-finding service for a free game if you want to. You're not obligated to charge.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Just by his post alone, maybe he was saying "trying to find players isn't that hard", which is true, I suppose.

But lol, try to find an online game as a player for an uncommon system.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tarnop posted:

If I was paid GMing then yeah I would expect those to comprise most of my work, but I'd also make it clear that I'm willing to run less mainstream systems on request if only for my own sanity

https://startplaying.games/request-custom

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This combination of blatant bigotry and the author obviously being pretty dumb is pretty funny, tbh.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Hey everyone, I know this chat ended a few pages back so if this is a derail feel free to ignore but I did want to chip in my 2p and share my extremely anecdotal paid gming experience.

I'm very interested in the topic, so that was great, thanks!

What do you do to actually find players? How many games a week do you run? How do you price stuff?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oriental Adventures is not something I would've expected to make Top 3. I wonder what drove that.

Just based on that chart, it was one of the first one and one of the few options available if you wanted something a little less generic D&D.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
please just move on from the mask thing

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They'll change Owlbears to (Monstrosity, but also Beast) in the 5.5e MM just to stop the whine.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

FMguru posted:

This looks interesting:

Seems to be a warts-and-all history of TSR (and then WotC/Hasbro). Just came out this week, my local Barnes & Noble purportedly has copies in stock. Hmm.

I mean, the actual description doesn't say anything about WotC/Hasbro. It's "the secret history of TSR". It seems like the difference between this and the other books about D&D's early history (Game Wizards, Of Dice and Men) is that he did try to dig up more stuff about the Lorraine period.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rick posted:

Good, I've wanted to chat with an owlbear via talk with animals my whole playing career.

"What the gently caress are you? Like, come on."

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I got curious what the most critically acclaimed videogame adaptation was and it's a movie based on a videogame based on Werewolf:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolves_Within_(film)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Amazon recs for books were just fine, then they removed the ''also bought" section of recommendations in my region.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Eastmabl posted:

In something that should surprise no one, nuTSR did a racism. A lot of racism.

https://twitter.com/NoHateInGaming/status/1554221176603688960?t=HRYwwwPA0MzzAgf98h7XIQ&s=19

It has been discussed at length a few pages ago in this thread.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Splicer posted:

I am comfortable with the fact that a lot of things I like are garbage.

Myself, for example.

you like yourself, lol amateur

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

hyphz posted:

"One D&D"? Really?

It's probably "One D&D" like 5e was "D&D Next".

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kor posted:

So most of the articles I'm reading are doing the usual debate of like, "oh is this 5.5e, is this 6e" kinda grog-lite early backbiting, but I don't think this is a D&D Next kind of situation. Between the really stupid name, the Beyond acquisition, and the announcement of a first-party VTT/wider digital services, I don't see too many people connecting the dots that this is D&D going full games as a service. It's One D&D because there's not going to be "editions", there's just going to be D&D as a subscription with evolutions, updates, "DLC", and other microtransactions alongside the more expensive expansion and splatbooks. I could even see it becoming the gateway to D&D media in general (actual plays, movies, novels, comics, cartoons). At some point maybe they add support for previous editions to try and fully capture their audience, old and new, but that's the one thing I wouldn't hold my breath on.

Like maybe I'm crazy and connecting too many dots, but it seems pretty obvious this is the way the wind is blowing. I think roll20 making its deal with DTRPG/OneBookShelf and trying really hard to find purchase outside of D&D is another canary in the coal mine.

I don't know about "no more editions", because new editions just need to happen eventually, but it seems they're definitely trying to make their own one-stop VTT/Database/digital store.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

It is too long and shitposty to get into in depth, but basically they spent over 20 years crafting elaborate stories and lore and game experiences and products, but then the suits decided they wanted MtG to be a Fortnite-like multiversal product engagement engine instead of a loving game, so now they have to let brands spray their chunky diarrhoea all over the game.

Some examples are below:
https://scryfall.com/search?order=set&q=set%3Asld+%28%28cn%3E%3D428+cn%3C%3D435%29+or+cn%3A675%29&unique=prints
https://scryfall.com/search?order=set&q=set%3Asld+%28%28cn%3E%3D477+cn%3C%3D483%29+or+cn%3A696%29&unique=prints
https://scryfall.com/search?order=set&q=set%3Asld+%28%28cn%3E%3D340+cn%3C%3D348%29+or+cn%3A609%29&unique=prints
https://scryfall.com/search?order=set&q=set%3Asld+%28%28cn%3E%3D143+cn%3C%3D153%29+or+cn%3A581%29&unique=prints

Most of these are kinda neat, tbh. I dunno. I don't see how having a bit of fun like that hurts anyone.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Astral had a feature where you'd start with a pdf of a sheet, then drag and drop some UI boxes on top of it to make it a functional sheet, with formulas and text boxes and stuff. It was useful for systems that don't have a proper implementation in the other VTTs.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Roll20 is currently the best option for CoC (some people like Foundry's implementation, but I think it's pretty bleh atm) and it's 1/5 of 5e, which is better than it could be.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's really neat. Did any of them say what parts of D&D looked appealing from the show?

https://www.reddit.com/r/CharacterRant/comments/v1tz2p/stranger_things_to_a_dnd_outsider_seems_to_do_a/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I posit that, at some point, Vecna did actually have his hand and eye attached to him.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I keep seeing this ad and it's incredibly weird to me every time that they don't have the actual name of the game anywhere.

Yeah, the game's title is in Swedish and the system has zero recognition among non-Swedish gamers, which is why they're going with it, I guess. It's why news media usually go "Creator of [popular IP] died" instead of their name, if the general public knows the IP but not the name.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 21, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sefer posted:

It looks like the English version hasn't been completed, but is still being worked on: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1152089861/western-the-roleplaying-game/posts/3485810

It was written by a married couple, and a couple of months after the Kickstarter one of them was diagnosed with cancer. She passed away in April, and between taking care of and then grieving her the remaining author hasn't been able to work on it as much as was originally planned.

Yeah, it's pretty rough.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I haven't paid too much attention to the whole thing, but I got the impression that Jamison was doing like 90% of the rear end in a top hat things and she was just kinda there, not doing anything about it. If she actually breaks up with him, I can see her coming back after some apologies.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

El Fideo posted:

Good job, you've gotten exactly the impression they wanted you to get.

thanks buddy

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

This is the only point in the article where the idea of playing an RPG that puts less of a burden on the GM is even contemplated, and of course it's homebrew instead of mentioning that other games exist.

Anything that puts less of a burden on the GM puts more of a burden on the players and the typical new-ish D&D 5e player is not comfortable with that, in my experience.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ravenkult posted:

Look the thread dedicated to CR has decided she's scum and everything she says are lies, what more do you want???

I dunno, that "took commission money from someone dying from cancer, then just pocketed the money and delivered nothing" coupled with all the other poo poo is not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ravenkult posted:

Look the thread dedicated to CR has decided she's scum and everything she says are lies, what more do you want???

MadScientistWorking posted:

That's a loving non sequitor.

"well, here's a bad thing she seems to have done" is not a non sequitur to "lol they seem to think she's not a good person for reason lol can u imagien"