Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
My 4e game group is open to other systems: most of them are also playing in a side game of 13th Age that I'd like to join but just don't have time. When our current campaign ends in a few months there's talk of starting up Numenera, which, y'know, points for not being D&D but god dammit.

Most gamers around here are pretty stuck on D&D5e, or Pathfinder. I know there's a local Star Wars community but it seems hard to track down: X-Wing, Armada, and Destiny seem way more common than the RPG since it's more focused on FLGSs. The internet ought to make this sort of thing easier, but it doesn't seem to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
There's a Let's Read of the first book in his series "Monster Hunter International" going on right now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853527

It's no "Oh John Ringo No", but it's bad and it has bad politics, plus there's some discussion of Correia's extracurricular assholery along the way.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bieeanshee posted:

I can't remember. Is he the one who wrote a critic in as a pedophile?

You may be thinking of Michael Crichton.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kai Tave posted:

lol yeah, it was real dumb even back then.

And they caught appropriate amounts of poo poo for it, as I recall.

How much impact did the backlash have on the White Wolf corporate culture at the time? Was it a specific wake-up call?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Andrast posted:

What the gently caress are you even arguing about?

"Both sides are bad and I'm smarter than you."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

dwarf74 posted:

So hey, looks like I'm not the only one who thinks there was some uh.... Less than legitimate votes.... in the Ennies this year.

http://www.ennie-awards.com/blog/ennie-awards-time-for-change/

Always nice to see SA get name-dropped by that dickhead in the comments.

Could I request a quick summary of the voting irregularities you suspect? I don't follow the Ennies.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

dwarf74 posted:

Oh I have no evidence, just a hunch that the dillweed behind Zweihander - the guy banned from rpgnet because he wouldn't stop shilling, and who registered an account here to defend the Ennies' honor after he was nominated - seems exactly like the kind of person who'd see a complete lack of security and the potential for ballot stuffing and just.... Well, jump right in and do that for the sales and recognition boost.

It may have been a legit win, but going up against both fan favorite Blades in the Dark and Paizo-crafted Starfinder?

If the guy weren't such a relentlessly self-promoting shithead, that'd be one thing. Or, if it wasn't just an unimaginative brick of a poorly-made warhams retroclone. But he is and it is, and so I am giving it the side-eye.

That makes sense, thank you.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GimpInBlack posted:

That's me, and while I wouldn't phrase it as "couldn't stomach working under Paradox" because, well, I didn't work under them, yeah, it's true, and has been true for a long time. I told OPP after the first round of nuWW hiring and defending Zak that I wouldn't work on any more WW-owned IPs unless something dramatic changed. And that... hasn't happened.

I want you to know that I really admire you for standing by your principles and doing what's right here. It shows great moral courage.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arivia posted:

zak s presents: maybe a crime?

Varg Vikernes presents: yeah, that's a crime.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bruceski posted:

Everybody Poops.

The REM b-side that doesn't get airplay.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Plutonis posted:

Worst english language author since David Foster Wallace passed the torch

You're not BravestOfTheLamps.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arivia posted:

Honestly I’m beginning to think that my difference from your opinions comes down to the fact that I have an English degree and training and experience in reading texts critically. It certainly doesn’t seem like many of you do, at least. And that’s okay! We all apply ourselves to different things in life. (Contrast to the definite STEMlords in the forum who can’t comprehend the existence of anything other than technical writing.) I place different focus and attention than many of you do, and examine the text differently. Issues that are apparent to me may not be so to you.

Please tell us more about why your highly educated opinions are better than the played experiences of the rest of us dirty proles, o great one.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Really, I don't know how a noble English major such as yourself can stand to share the same online space with filth like us.

You should find some other place more worthy of your enlightenment, bodhisattva.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BinaryDoubts posted:

A lot of people wouldn't keep doubling down but then again, it's clear your high degree of intellectual superiority has allowed you to analyze the discourse and determine that it is everyone else and not you who is coming across as a real rear end in a top hat

Frankly it makes me question her ability to critically analyze text in the first place.

Edit: that's not to say I'm not being an rear end in a top hat here because I totally am.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
When all you have is a hammer...

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Warthur posted:

Gah, the loving fnord thing. Way to take a decades-old injoke and ram it even further into the ground than previously thought possible outside of Monty Python fandom, SJG.

Does SJG even support their various Illuminati games anymore?

Let me guess: Munchkin Illuminati?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

gradenko_2000 posted:

TBF Gurps can support that many games!

But can the GURPS-playing groups? There can't be that many of them.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

01011001 posted:

Oh god, that probably is where the name comes from, doesn’t it. The new era of men.

I always figured he'd just cribbed a bit from Tolkien while he was wholesale stealing from Wolfe and Vance.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Liquid Communism posted:

A Narcissist's Prayer

That didn't happen.

And if it did, it wasn't that bad.

And if it was, that's not a big deal.

And if it is, that's not my fault.

And if it was, I didn't mean it.

And if I did...

You deserved it.

Amazing how often this is relevant.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Before that, IIRC. He's their COO.

I get the impression Dancey would want nothing to do with RPGs again.

The feeling is mutual.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Thanlis posted:

Did Sean Patrick Fannon ever produce an actual apology for his harassment, or were there other developments I missed? Dude is all over the Prowlers & Paragons Kickstarter.

God dammit, someone's been advertising that on a Facebook group I'm in and now I have to say something.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about him.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Depending on the local store, Suncoast was also notable for not separating the anime section for age-appropriateness, leading to hilarious situations where Gramma would buy her grandkid one of those Japanese cartoons, only to be horrified and pissed off when it turned out to be, for example, Legend of the Overfiend.

Some stores overreacted and put 18+ stickers on all their anime, leading to great frustration on the part of budding fans and the equally funny situation where the most innocent kiddie show was basically rated X.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Is there some sort of thread repository of goon guild stories? I know GoonFleet's various shenanigans in EVE, and I remember hearing about how batshit Age of Wushu's mechanics were and some of the exploits thereof, but I know there's got to be more out there.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
There used to be a griefing stories thread, a while back. A little digging turned it up in the goldmine. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Zak was lying through his teeth about what his lawyer said because it suited his purpose to browbeat his "enemy" into submission, and that's generously assuming he even spoke to a lawyer in the first place.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Halloween Jack posted:

My impression of the Nordic LARP scene is...not one that would be welcoming to a guy whose ambition is to become the Supreme Leader Edgelord.

I know nothing about the Nordic LARP scene, could you elaborate?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mors Rattus posted:

love me some full page ads in unreadably tiny font

Dr Bronner's is better toilet reading.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Wasn't she also a supporter of Zak for way longer than was justifiable?

^^^ yeah I should have refreshed ^^^

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 4, 2019

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What, a notorious gatekeeper just got locked out?

Let me get my key- whups, dropped it down the toilet.

Now the toilet is flushing!?

I feel just awful, how is this happening?!

What the ever-loving blue-eyed gently caress is that? Was that actually used to screen freelancers for Ex3?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Fanfiction alert, but there's a fun little story someone wrote a while ago where Sam Vimes becomes, quite against his will, the God of Coppers. https://archiveofourown.org/works/244534

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kurieg posted:

"I'll only respect your boundaries if you explain to me why you have them" is distressingly common.

Looks like the thread's calling it out so that's okay until someone gets banned for personal attacks.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Ok someone's gonna have to explain this. I worked as a bouncer for several years and the idea that someone hurts someone and is neither bounced out the door nor banned from future attendance is completely foreign to me.

Bill Webb of Frog God Games got drunk at PaizoCon 2017, which is apparently SOP for him, harassed a female guest and injured a con staff member who was trying to get him away from her.

He was asked to leave but allowed to stay long enough to sober up because his kids were at the convention with him. But as far as I recall, he was not banned from future attendance. So gently caress Paizo, again.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MadScientistWorking posted:

I thought Paizo did ban him because if not I have really choice words for them. Turns out he's friends with a neo-nazi promoter so its not exactly a situation I'm happy with.

It'd possible I'm working from outdated information but I can't find any indication that he was banned from Paizocon. I do know that Steve Jackson Games refused to disentangle from Webb and Frog God for their reboot of The Fantasy Trip, the reaction to which dragged a lot of bad actors into the light again and made it clear that SJG is fine laying down with dogs.

Who's his neo-Nazi friend?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lurdiak posted:

Stefan Molyneux is as close as you can get to just saying the Holocaust was awesome and Nazis are role models without getting banned off of everything. The absolute limit. He's completely a neo-nazi but he wears just enough of a fig leaf around it to be accepted in civil society.

And boy does he hate women.

Does he still insist that all "families of origin" are horribly abusive and that everyone should sever completely and give him money or am I thinking of someone else?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Halloween Jack posted:

It is gobsmacking to me that anyone thinks this was ever a legitimate concern about disability accommodation (In a hypothetical future anarchist utopia. Based on ideas MR doesn't understand, and activism they don't participate in.) When people concern-troll stuff they can't be bothered to read a Wikipedia page about, rude dismissal shouldn't be surprising!

No, dig up, stupid!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Eberron first-person RPG

:dogcited:

EDIT: Oh, what a lamentable page snipe.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

spectralent posted:

Harmony Gold is a south-african based gold prospecting and mining company. They just have the rights to Robotech for some godforsaken reason.

EDIT: The reason is, checking, that they were partners with some kind of production company then bought all it's assets when it crashed, or something?

Harmony Gold the South African mining company and Harmony Gold USA the production company are two (as far as I can tell entirely) separate organizations. Where do you see that they are connected?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lumbermouth posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Alphastream/status/1149780341139185664

This is the weirdest framing of a double down that I’ve ever seen.

Pretty standard lovely centrist "Perhaps it is YOU who are the real Nazis?" bs.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh man I'd forgotten all about Raistlin's curse. The morality in Dragonlance is so hosed up. I just remembered that the reason he got the curse in the first place was because his ambition was go great he straight-up murdered an illusion of his brother because Camaron used magic, and Raistlin hated that his brother could do something that was "his".

Raist didn't know it was a fake. Oh, and Camaron was watching. Raist was still "Neutral", though.

I always wondered if your alignment was really that tied to your robe color, though. It's clear that Raistlin was evil from the word go, but I recall from somewhere he chose the Order of Red Robes because his family would have freaked out if he'd joined the Black Robes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The impersonator's "perfectly innocent" posting - even re-registering to make nice to GMS - had me dying laughing. What a glorious troll.

Did any regular poster ever admit to being the fake?