Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
What are people's thoughts on the different war doctrines? Especially the no-retreat one; +33% fire rate sounds crazy but on the other hand, no retreats ever means you're going to lose a lot of ships in each fight, especially if you use a lot of corvettes and destroyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

The No Retreat one honestly seems like it's either extremely situational or an outright trap. You will take an absurd amount of losses without disengages. You'd have to out-mineral your opponent a lot to make that worthwhile. Maybe if you're running all-battleships (lowest disengage chance) on artillery mode to maximize the damage before they even get to you, but even then a single lost fight kills your entire fleet.

This is kind of my thinking, yeah. Now I actually do like steamrolling stuff with artillery-laden juggernauts, but Rapid Deployment seems like it's better all around and doesn't require me to be militaristic.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Splicer posted:

I have a few very specific complaints in a sea of holy poo poo this is a good game made better by a great patch.

Yeah, this. There are legitimate gripes with the game's balance but the base mechanics are brilliant and perfectly functional at the moment.

By the way, didn't they say in the pre-release patch notes that high living standards would have their consumer goods multiplier reduced? It looks like they're still 1.25/1.50 for Social Welfare/Utopian in-game.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I"m really liking the buffs to militarist and its asociated civics. I was just thinking the other day that they feel kind of weak, but the buff to Citizen Service in particular makes it seem like a perfect fit for my Military Commissariat + Beacon of Liberty. Also I was surprised from day one that being militarist didn't affect your war exhaustion at all.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

People were talking about World Shaper in this thread a few days ago and I have to agree that it's pretty lackluster. The high cost and time requirements obviously don't help, but what really gets me is the fact that the planet is either uncolonizable or hit with a happiness (and by extrension, resource output) penalty the whole way through. The opportunity cost alone would take decades to break even.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

What's so good about Executive Vigor? It looks thoroughly unremarkable to me.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Axetrain posted:

Edicts are incredibly good in 2.0.

Hm, I've never really used them much before. Maybe I should pay more attention to them, especially with how much influence Fanatic Egalitarians can crap out after 2.02

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

For science tiles, I always just upgrade to what I need at the moment without regard to what the base science-type is. Is this horribly wrong? I watched like Arumba or someone really sperg out about how he has like a physics building on an engineering tile.

The base science on the tile isn't suppressed in that case, so I can't see any reason that it would matter.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Transforming to gaia should not give the "ongoing terraforming" penalty or at least not take so loving long. Once you factor in the cost of the terraforming, the time while suffering -20%, it's going to need a lot of time to pay off that investment.

Agreed. Also I don't generally mind outposts costing energy now but it really sucks if you want to terraform anything ever.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I've been trying to make a democratic crusader kind of empire but the militarist faction is really bugging me. I wish their agendas were more about gunboat diplomacy kind of stuff, like having at least 1 titan in your navy, building up to 90% of the forcelimit, allowing military service from all citizens, etc, and a lot less "kill everyone, everywhere, all the time, always, forever". Now that you can only rival empires that directly border you, and only if they're not too strong or weak, it seems like the longer the game goes on the harder it is to keep them happy.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

It was a page back but mammalian ships are the best. Robust, angular, and don't look like sex toys. :colbert:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Perks could do a rework, but what im most disappointed in terms of being interested is titan auras. I was hoping for game-changing stuff that really let you specialize fleets.

- shield bubble that protects their fleet at long range
- drone control mechanisms that reduce war exhaustion from losing corvettes and destroyers
- salvo control system that makes all your missiles fire at once with a bunch of bonuses

But instead they're like +5% fire rate.

Titans in general are oddly limited in their design, I was expecting more than one choice of module per section at the least.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I just noticed that there's a "pirate risk" percentage visible in the government screen, was that always there or is it from one of the betas?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I feel like if we had about twice as many factions as we do now, with some of them maybe having influence from multiple ethics, things would be a lot better.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean "egalitarian" as a faction isn't really very coherent to be honest, given that they also get pissy about free movement which has bugger all to do with egalitarianism. Like, no, nobody is allowed to move to a planet that they aren't very well adapted to, that's very fair and equal, you all have an equal chance to not suffocate trying to breathe loving methane with the methane breathing people, you idiots.

Like this, it makes perfect sense for egalitarians to be opposed to forced resettlement, but opening up the core worlds to other species overlaps too much with Xenophile. They should only really care about citizen species and let xenophiles worry about everyone else.

I also brought up a few pages back that I don't like how the militarist faction has a lot of goals that inherently conflict with eachother and don't really allow for saber-rattling and displays of power rather than just knocking heads all the time. And then there's the fact that the xenophobe faction is almost more pacifist than the actual pacifist faction, which is all about economic growth for some reason.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I like doing Militarist/Egalitarian and giving everyone utopian living standards. Like we're conquering you for your own good and yes you will like it. But the factions I think tank it somehow? I forget but it was annoying.

I love this kind of gameplay. Being maximum space Hitler is one thing but it's so much more satisfying to be a paternalistic despot who espouses democratic/humanistic ideals while maintaining a stranglehold on all of the actual power because the unwashed masses don't know what's good for them.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

What is this "scaling but with values are reversed thing" you guys keep talking about?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

They introduced a new difficulty system to help make up for the fact that the AI is very bad at tile management and development in general by instead of giving it set bonuses, it gives increasing bonuses as the game goes on to balance the fact that human players are going to have a widening power gap as the game goes on. Instead they typed some numbers in wrong and the game would start out on super max difficulty and the AI would get fewer bonuses ramping down to nothing as the game went on. This bug was very easy to avoid by not using that difficulty setting.

Gotcha, I remember that setting now but didn't know about the bug.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I really love the buff to Erudite because not having any new traits for leaders (especially admirals) was my least favorite part of the biological ascension path. I do hope they add some more advanced traits though because at the moment RObust and Erudite are a bit overloaded and it'd be nice to have more alternatives.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

A bit late to the chat but while I generally like the current ethos and think they make sense, I never liked materialism/spiritualism. As others noted above, they describe what I think are pretty interesting philosophical outlooks but Stellaris just boils it all down to "do you hate robots y/n?" Like, I don't think any other faction gets as upset about anything as spiritualists do if you don't go full-on Fanatic Purifier towards them. The very thinly veiled theocratic implications of pretty much everything else to do with spiritualism is a secondary concern to me.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I'm really curious to see how the new Master Builders works out, because halving the speed bonus in exchange for another new one reminds me of what they did with World Shaper, and that perk is arguably worse than it was before (Gaia worlds are still questionable investments and basic terraforming takes longer than it did before since the speed buff got removed).

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

If you have positive energy and use happiness, I'm pretty sure Gaia worlds are pretty much always worth it (flat production bonus and a happiness bonus). If you're a hive mind they're probably still worth it, and if you're a machine empire you have your own version of Gaia worlds instead.

I haven't mathed it out or anything but the planet being uncolonizable or running at -20% happiness for several decades is a pretty big opportunity cost.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Honestly you could probably remove the penalty altogether since you already need an expensive tech deep in the tech tree that serves no other purpose just to unlock the ability.

Unrelated, but I've always wondered; why would you want to bar a species from military service? Limited service makes sense if they wouldn't make good generals but I can't see any advantage to not being able to raise defense armies from them.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Sloober posted:

i dunno about you but i always turn my living standards to social welfare and pay the artisans to organize a giant orgy. so my dudes are sitting at 98% happiness while terraforming is going on. The hit is minimal if you take advantage of ways to mitigate it.

I'm always flush with energy too, and now that the parties are just energy it makes it even easier

This is actually a good point, I play a lot of fanatic egalitarians with utopian living standards and I never thought about having the artisans throw a festival. I actually have never tried throwing a festival at all since I read about all the negative events it can slam you with, but maybe it's worth a shot.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Does mixing autocannons and plasma add up to better effectiveness than using regular lasers and railguns? I'm guessing it might since the former both get hull damage bonuses and ships usually have more hull points than anything else, but it feels a bit odd to me to mix two weapons with exact opposite roles rather than using an even spread of more generalist weapons.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Shugojin posted:

(Just cram yourself in a galaxy with lots and lots of other civs, it at least limits your expansion really fast)

People bang on that drum constantly in this thread, but it actually is good advice. When I tried it I had a greater variety of both friends and enemies (so diplomacy was better), there were fewer instances of AI on the other side of the galaxy spawning with tons of room compared to everyone else (so balance was better) and expansion didn't feel too slow or limited to be fun.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

ulmont posted:

I'm running half corvettes and half-battleships now...I hold the corvettes at 100 and then add battleships as fleet size increases.

I just can't find a reason to faff about with destroyers, cruisers, or titans.

This is kind of what I"m gravitating towards. I use just enough destroyers to mount point defense but cruisers are kind of in an odd spot because medium guns overlap too much with larger ones in terms of what they can reliably hit. I usually pack a Titan for the regeneration field but I'm not sure how much that's doing for me.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Sloober posted:

Yeah i'm a way bigger fan of big ships since artillery-equipped ones can destroy the poo poo out of things in one or two hits, and you can equip a battleship with 4 of them and an X slot. They also stay out of range of most stuff. I think the biggest mistake folks that don't like them do is they try to equip them for other roles, which is a waste. Don't even use the carrier sections for PD - a destroyer is a more efficient vehicle for PD.

If you don't like big ships, at least use artillery destroyers. They can still fit a single neutron launcher or kinetic battery. Launchers can do up to 1000 damage and get big bonus to hull and armor.

Those have 0% tracking though, how do they hit anything smaller than a cruiser?

That said, artillery destroyers have long been a favorite of mine. Cheap enough to mass and replace as needed, and don't poo poo the bed when large guns come into play.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Tomn posted:

I personally find that the most important part of hull/armor regen isn't how it helps in actual battles, but how it means that you can continue campaigning without taking a lengthy trip back to a spaceport to repair. It's a strategic advantage more than a tactical one. I haven't run the numbers too much, but actual battle damage seems to grossly outstrip regen rate.

Also I'd have to double check but I THINK excess power automatically improves certain stats.

I'm 99% positive that extra power will improve evasion, but not by very much.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

wiegieman posted:

all your pops will shift extremely fast towards materialist

Ironically, synthetic ascension removes the "AI allowed" opinion modifier that makes the technologist faction happy, so you'll need to constantly pay the curators and stay ahead of everyone in tech if you don't want to gut your influence gain.

Beyond that, yeah, I'd say it's the most powerful ascension, especially now that it doesn't guarantee war with a spiritualist fallen empire..

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

poo poo like that is what really drags stellaris down for me. I never feel like I'm role playing or seeing a society organically develop, I feel like I'm being forced down a couple extremely narrow paths based on the game's very punishing and inflexible mechanics. There's always some quality of life/interface issue that makes certain potentially interesting play styles just too annoying to play, or there's poo poo like going synthetic killing your materialist faction happiness.

I don't know if I'd go that far, most of my more roleplay-oriented issues are limited to factions. I think ethics, traits, civics, etc. are in a pretty good spot and generally give me a lot of room in designing my own little utopia (or dystopia :buddy:).

That said, factions ARE a pretty big mess right now. I've already gone over what I don't like about the militarist and egalitarian ones in particular, and the system as a whole needs a rework.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean. They did just rewrite a huge amount of the game and discarded a lot of mechanics to make things work smoother because it wasn't working great before. Give them some time, they're doing a good job fixing things up. As someone who dumped a good 200 hours into the old version and have put almost half that into cherryh, it has been vastly improved since the original version.

I've been playing Stellaris almost since launch, and I absolutely agree. I bring up my issues with factions and such only because I think they're a priority to be worked on; I have no doubt that he devs will address that kind of stuff eventually.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I used to like the tile system until I stopped to think about what actually happens with my planets once I have more than a few of them. If this new system simplifies things without abstracting planet management away altogether I think it'll be a real success.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

VirtualStranger posted:

These are so incredibly wrong it's hilarious. The tile system makes every planet feel like a bland, empty container that you "fill up" with pops and then forget about.

They might have a leg to stand on if tiles were different from one another, representing different biomes and such. But they aren't.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Which, honestly, is fine, especially with the new hyperlane layout, it'd be super obnoxious trying to connect system to system instead of by proximity. This way I can have a cluster of locations that aren't necessarily directly connected be in the same sector.

Speaking of hyperlanes, we should be able to build our own as endgame tech. I assume hyperlanes are areas that are cleared of debris, no black holes, etc to get in the way of travel, maybe have some kind of colossal project to clear a path between stars. I'm sure the AI would have an aneurysm recalculating routes though.

That's what gates are for, isn't it?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Citizen Service actually does effect citizenship in that any species with full military serivce has to be given full citizenship if you have it. It doesn't really matter in play but it is an interesting touch.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

The aliens in question did not, in fact, have the Delicious trait. Please fix this glaring omission.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Jazerus posted:

egalitarian/xenophile/militarist, spreading freedom at the point of a sword :hist101:

the research one looks very attractive but it's nothing you can't get plenty of elsewhere. i go for:

1. masters of nature (mostly because i have a mod that gives it three tiers of planet size upgrades for escalating costs, instead of the vanilla single tier)
2. voidborne, or my first ascension path perk
3. the other one of those two
4. the final path perk, if available

after that it's just up to the situation, as none of the others are too terribly distinctive. definitely get master builders at some point to go along with voidborne though

:buddy:

I do the same thing, except with Fanatic Egalitarian insted of xenophile (even pre-ftl despotisms won't be spared my wrath and I don't want the xenophiles throwing a fit over it).

My first perk pick is usually Technological Ascension, or Transcendent Learners if I'm going for a leader build. After that I take Mastery of Nature, my preferred ascension paths the 3 megastructure perks, and World Shaper usually being my last pick and usually more for fun than anything else.

Also I love these guides that people are posting, I'm working on one for traits myself and will hopefully have it up soon.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Thrasophius posted:

Did they ever buff fortresses and the like? Are are they still only there to buy a few seconds now that you can't make fortress flowers.

Fortresses in the form you're thinking of don't exist anymore. Each system can now have a starbase which, among other things, can be decked out with weapons batteries to fortify a system, auras that give bonuses to your ships or penalties to enemy ships, and surrounded by defense platforms (similar to what fortresses used to be, actually, but can't be built separately from a starbase). They won't stop a truly dedicated attack force but they'll be more than enough to deal with smaller fleets and support your own fleets if they're in the same system.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Thrasophius posted:

Oh that's ok then at least you can have a semi-decent fortification then that'll at least buy a bit of time. Are the auras still area of effect or system wide?

Yeah, there's an achievement for getting a starbase up to 40k fleet power, if that gives you any idea of what they're capable of. Auras are system wide as near as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Aethernet posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1003976340054466562?s=19

Literally all my Spiritualist factions are going to be called The Westboro Baptist Church from now on.

Haha, I was just wishing I could do this earlier today. It's one of those little things that I always wanted but never thought it was important enough to bother anyone else.