Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I think I had a Stroll win toxx somewhere too, but I'm too lazy to go find it, and the odds of it happening are infinitesimal so nevermind. F1 2018: anyone but Hamilton, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Pirate Radar posted:

MCLAREN ALONSO
BY FERNANDO ALONSO
FOR MCLAREN ALONSO RACING
IN COLLABORATION WITH FERNANDO ALONSO FOR MCLAREN ALONSO

*this post brought to you by Kimoa.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

F1 2018: Bike talk and British politics aplenty.

The more I see that Ferrari the more it grows on me EXCEPT their halo which I now hate. The extra line thing on top that makes it not smooth looks like rear end.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Testing is when they put the car to the test.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Welp im going to meet the ex today, Im a loving idiot.

Enjoy having her walk all over you (again and forever).

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

...for the extreme disappointment?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

NtotheTC posted:

The McLaren one is multi-season by the way. I genuinely believe they won't ever win an F1 race again after watching Grand Prix Driver.

e: in fact the McLaren one may as well be a full toxx ban

That's a bold statement! I mean yeah, they've been a joke lately, but F1 just kind of goes like that. Winning team turns to garbage with new formula(s) and then gets it right eventually and turns around... maybe a winning season is a stretch right now, but I can't help but assume they'll fluke into a race win if nothing else in the next year or three.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

McLaren are clearly sandbagging hard this season. They're even taking the piss... losing a wheel nut? "computer problems"? They're so confident of their superiority they're making dumb poo poo up to confuse the other teams. #mindgames

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

learnincurve posted:

She got in.

My 14 year old daughter got into the McLaren partnered engineering school.

Crying.

Congratulations LC and daughter!

Human Grand Prix posted:

BTF 1 and 3 are good. I dislike the second one; it's a bunch of bullass.

No. No, no, no. The original was the best, and the 2nd one was the next best one, because it had the dark Biff future in it. Also hoverboards. The cowboy one was the worst one. But still pretty good.

I like all of the recent Simpsons references and gifs. This should happen more often in the worst of threads.

GramCracker posted:

McLaren is taking sandbagging to entirely new levels never seen before.

http://www.skysports.com/iframe/widget/video/RnczZtZTE6OmwJhxOeO8gYd1wBVkmUvY

Lol, I'm the guy putting on the wrong tire. Then putting the correct tire on backwards.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

The Biff future is a little too close to our current reality.

Holy poo poo, I can't believe I never saw that before! Someone go find Trump's copy of Gray's Sports Almanac!

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

tuo posted:

e: I always forget about Hulkenberg, also good

Something I realized when looking at that "F1 drivers as girls" thing from a few pages ago is that Hulk, K-mag and ... that other guy, you know the one... are all virtually interchangeable.

Adrian Who-til?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

OK, I'm gonna stop trying to defend McLaren. I hope they get their poo poo together by race day... but Jesus they look like total hacks out there right now.

#HopeItsAllMindgames

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Wirth1000 posted:

Welcome to the Daytona 500 the Superbowl of motor racing.

I really feel like a Mello Yello right now.

Pirate Radar posted:

Surprise appearances would be nice though. WHAT’S HAPPENING NOW?! BY GOD, THAT’S NICO ROSBERG’S ENTRANCE MUSIC!

Yes... yes.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Feels Villeneuve posted:

SaaS is just one arm of a long and inexorable process where consumers are turned from people who own things into people who rent things.

I am so against this trend that I'm pooping my diaper right now. Is it too much to ask that I just be able to BUY something I want to use, pay for it once, and use it as long as I need it? Paying for something every month in perpetuity is a terrible (for the consumer, at least) way to go, and I hate it. When I saw the new Adobe model I was horrified. $15 a month to edit PDFs? LOL, no thanks. $20 a month to edit photos? I am now using Gimp (100% free) instead of Photoshop and I hardly miss it at all.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

SaaS is the new paradigm that liberates consumers from the shackles of ownership. Why the hell would you want to own a depreciating asset rather than just lease it? Software has no intrinsic value once it is obsolete either because the feature set is too old, the OS it runs on no longer supports it or the user switches platforms. All you get at the end is a physical box to hold.

The problem with this model is that you're always forced to pay for the privilege of using the most current version. There's nothing wrong with Photoshop CS4. If it does everything I want it to do, and I've already bought it outright and don't want to upgrade, why should I have to? Sorry, PAY US. What did it cost new, like $700? So assume about 3 years at $20/month. Want to skip CS5 and wait to see what CS6 improves? Nope, PAY US. What if you were the "upgrade every other version" type? Nope sorry, PAY US.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

Uh, I pay like £16p/m for the entire CC suite. That seems like excellent value when compared to having a full frontal lobotomy whilst lucid, which is basically what using GIMP feels like. If you're not using CC for commercial use, their licenses are waaaay cheaper than retail.

I don't know how your hobbit money translates to regular Canadian dollars, but I'm guessing that's about $25/mo... But I could be wrong, it looks like the "all apps" package is US$50/mo which is way too high for anyone not using these for work. Gimp really isn't that bad for basic stuff. I've had to re-learn a few tools, but it hasn't been very difficult.

What happens if my internet is down? Am I just out of luck? What do I do with the 20GB of storage that comes with the cheapest package? Am I supposed to store files on Adobe's cloud? I don't get it.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

Ya there's a hidden 'not for profit' subscription tier that includes everything, which you can find a link for with a little Google Fu (I only have the UK one, but I'm p sure North America has it too).

The apps are all installed locally, so no persistent internet connection required to use them. Once they're installed they're activated so use as you like.

The online storage is good if you use the mobile apps. For example, Lightroom on my phone is way better than the default camera app (allows you to tweak like a DSLR and then edit like in Lightroom) and then sync back to your desktop library. I don't use it otherwise as I have OneDrive, unless it's an edge case where I don't want to be storing work files on my personal cloud storage.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Creative Cloud Photography, which includes Lightroom and Photoshop, is $10/mo USD. It works perfectly fine offline, I assume there is some frequency you have to check in to maintain your license though.

These were good and helpful posts without insults or condescension that have no place in the worst thread.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The phone market will be a lot different a few years from now as people slowly realize that you can now get insanely nice phones from like $200+ instead of like $800 imo

Just lol if you scrubs aren't handing over $1,300 every year for the newest and best iphone before Apple throttles it and forces you to continue to pay more and more every year just to get one that works and then eventually they just have all your money and you've sold yourself into slavery to get 6 months on a working device but then the battery overheats and you die from sadness and regret.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm going to post about watches.

I really like the recent Seiko Presage line.

Tsaedje posted:

Additional: Bottas will win twice as many races as Ferrari

I had actually completely forgotten Bottas existed for the last month or two.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

learnincurve posted:

Reminder that https://www.blancpain-gt-series.com still exists, and they live stream everything for free https://m.youtube.com/user/gt1world I like the part where Bentley cant stop hiring rookies and sticking them in the biggest car in the field and that bit where Giancarlo Fisichella suddenly appears in a Ferrari and makes everyone look like an idiot.

Wiki is a complete mess but here is the best team: https://www.blancpain-gt-series.com/team/318/kaspersky-motorsport

This looks like a fun series to watch.

No grazie.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Bellissimo!

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

DoctorGonzo posted:

that av is very creepy, i keep going back to the girl who resembles grossjean

LOL

track day bro! posted:

Just realized it's the 12hrs of Sebring this weekend, woo

Does this one stream for free too?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

Paddy Lowe fraud status confirmed. Somehow Are Lance will heroically drag that piece of poo poo onto the podium.

I'm STROLL right now.

Sitting
There
Rolling
Over
Laughing
Loudly

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I'm reviewing a legal document at work and the person on the other side has left comments in the margins like "delete". I'm reflexively tempted to add lines like "delet this crap" and "turn your monitor".

I wonder what they would say. Should I call their lawyer a fuccman?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Doc Morbid posted:

That, and the FOM payment structure which has been completely broken for years and makes it practically impossible for smaller teams to compete.

Don't forget how Bernie squeezed the tracks themselves so tight they can't afford to host races anymore.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

Y'all want to hear a joke?!

McLaren

McLaren who?

McLaren gonna beat Ferrari in the 2018 WCC

...and that's no joke! :cool:

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Tsaedje posted:

Literally the opposite of this? He said a dumb thing then publicly acknowledged he was wrong

Not even close. He gender shamed (or whatever?) his nephew for wanting to wear a princess dress with a video of him yelling at a kid on his twitter, and then removed it and "apologized" when it was pointed out to him that that was a pretty lovely thing to do. Then he went to an amusement park or something with his nephew, in a dress, and pretended he was cool with it the whole time. So basically he couldn't be a bigger oval office about it. Like, there's zero denying he did something lovely and then backpedaled when he got in trouble for it.

Please god, let the "DANGER ZONE!" warning stay in the graphics package for this year. And make the song the new intro for the broadcast to leverage the synergy.

That was pretty awesome, but drat, the track does seem narrow.

What is all this car stuff doing in the DoctorGonzo E/N thread anyway?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

Rosberg wins always owned. Sorry your opinion sucks.

I supported Nico and even I was hoping initially that the above meant Keke wins.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

It’s being run by Nintendo.

"Thank you F1 fans... but your streaming service is in another castle!"

That theme is OK I guess, but only for about 30 seconds, at most.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

New logo: 2/10. Stolen from a sock company or something, hard to read, doesn't scale, unrecognizable to non-fans.
New theme: 5/10. It's OK I guess, but I can't NOT picture Sam and Frodo chasing Gandalf up a mountain ridge.
New owners: 4/10*. I can't really think of anything Liberty has done to improve the sport yet. Lots of great ideas on how to gently caress it up, though.

F1 2018: Grade it on a bell curve, please!

*Provisional, in case someone can remind me of a good Liberty thing.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

gret posted:

The streaming service?

OK, good one. I'll give them points for this, even though I won't be using it. Bumped up to a 5/10, depending on how well it works.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

The new logo is so much better than the old one guys, it’s fine if you admit to being wrong on that one.

The old logo was super dated, I admit that. But at least you knew what it was the first time you looked at it. Even now when I see the new one, it says "Force India" to me more than "Formula 1". And it also looks better on the socks. They just did a lovely job with it. It looks sort of neat and futuristic, but it does nothing to identify the brand, or to tie in with the sport. At the very least if they made the "|" look more like a 1 it would be a huge improvement.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It looks nothing like the Force India logo and Autosport/Reddit are mentally ill.

I didn't say it looked like Force India's logo - I don't even know what that looks like - just that it SHOULD be Force India's logo, moreso than F1.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Oh no, the 1 looks like I, what ever shall we do? No one has ever done this before. It is thus impossible to read.

The point is it looks dumb and generic and is indisputably making the racing on track worse by being there.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

freeranger posted:

Urgh! God I hate that song!

I miss when the F1 used to be intro'd using Fluke - Absurd in Australia. Can't remember if it was Channel 9 or Ten that used it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAQISes7iXU

track day bro! posted:

Why do people always post the pc version with lovely sound ffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoOtNDKy5EU

Either of these would be a better choice.

Theophany posted:

Hopefully Liberty will further 'improve' F1 with their superior American thought leadership by implementing revolutionary new concepts like FanBoost that allows Twitter users to unlock extra power for their favourite drivers.

Liberty will take it to the next level by releasing fan-purchasable loot crates for the teams. Really, if Bernie wasn't afraid of the internet this would totally be up his alley.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Zaphod42 posted:

3 DRS zones??? Madness!!

They were looking to modify Melbourne to make passing easier and didn't have time. I guess slapping down a new DRS zone is the easiest answer lol.

Uh, I believe you're forgetting a brilliant little trick called "fan boost"!

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

The Kimoa Kid posted:

If the commentators are gonna be forced to say poo poo like “Hamilton is on his Heineken Hot Lap,” I can’t consider that harmless.

If I were a senator horse I would poop on this idea to veto it.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

poty posted:

https://twitter.com/InsideFOM/status/976409474666819584

Sure, they broadcast Fan_handle's vapid tweet, but what about my 30-tweet thread proving the Wolff-Lauda conspiracy?

You forgot the #F1 hashtag, friend.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

ilmucche posted:

I like the idea of having no commentary for a lap or two, it could be cool if it's engine and crowd noise (if there is any). Shame it'll be spoiled with dubstep or something.

"We'll now pause for the iHeartRadio action sequence"

you are a dancing queeeeeeen young and sweet only seventeeeeeeen

BOOOOOW chakachaka WEEEEEEEE whomp whomp BOOOOOOOW wha-wha-wha-wha-WHOOOOOMP

This list of car names created by a true man's man, without question. Is this year Gloria or Loria? His fan page seemed to think the latter.

2018 | Ferrari SF71H | Loria
2017 | Ferrari SF70-H | Gina
2016 | Ferrari SF16- H | Margherita
2015 | Ferrari SF15-T | Eva
2014 | Red Bull RB10 | Suzie
2013 | Red Bull RB9 | Hungry Heidi
2012 | Red Bull RB8 | Abbey
2011 | Red Bull RB7 | Kinky Kylie
2010 | Red Bull RB6 | Luscious Liz, Randy Mandy
2009 | Red Bull RB5 | Kate, Kate’s Dirty Sister
2008 | Toro Rosso STR3 | Julie

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

ilmucche posted:

Ricciardo..?

I'm pretty sure Ricciardo's first comment on the podium was "I'm tripping balls right now"

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Theophany posted:

Ugh, cringey as poo poo. If I had to guess which F1 driver was a loving redditor...

I can't wait till he goes full cringemaster and names one "Horny Henrietta" or "Sally the Slut" or "Anal Annie Gagsalot". He really doesn't have far to go. Honestly.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

DoctorGonzo posted:

https://twitter.com/InsideFOM/status/976774233312423937

https://twitter.com/InsideFOM/status/976543647205347330

These look...cool!?

Also that twitter account is totally Liberty and Sebs new car is Loria. The gloria name is some kind of fake news? i dont know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kITWJPBhiew

HYPE!

These could actually be useful, and really interesting to see. Now how will Liberty gently caress up the concept?

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

And now for the Worst Thread's Heineken Hot Take... #F1 is dead.

Brought to you by Kimoa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

track day bro! posted:

Wow the onboard cameras are looking even better this year!

Missing some prime sponsor placement real estate there.