Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

If you aren't with the one man picket line you're against the one man picket line. Put your dukes up!!

But if I join, it would no longer be a one man picket line.

There's no good option, it seems. I guess the time for words is passed.

It is time... for punching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Holy poo poo.

Did not see that one coming.

Neat!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

I love the blond person with the himecut

That's Prince Cnut, later known as Cnut the Great!

Real interesting character arc there, going to say that in advance.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davincie posted:

ah, time to write off babylon

also vinland saga was featured on the big anime japan poll last month so well, you know what you can thank for that
https://www.anime-japan.jp/main/ajranking/anime_manga/form/

Snorri Thorfinnsson, a key figure in the Christianization of Iceland, and the grandfather of Thorlak Runolfsson, bishop of Skálholt?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Ah, rip naota.

What they say in the Japanese version, anyway?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

isn't naota the glasses dude (maybe he's in the Japanese pv more?)

No. Wrong eye color, different voice, looks more like Naota's friend anyway.

He's probably gotten out of Mabase and made something of his life. Good on him.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Suffering is the almost universal basis for comedy.

Wishing more suffering is generally wrong, but the whole point is being able to better cope with a terrible situation by noticing the absurdity.

Getting all morally superior about it doesn't help anyone, and it takes away the possibility of either positive change or some people managing to get some happiness from the ashes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Whats an orphen

It's like a murderous child soldier, but with an e instead of an a due to anemia.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

Is this even a thing in the novels or is it just an animator joke? It's almost like they bet each other how absurdly they could make her skirt behave from one shot to the next.

It's a gag in a fan comic, I think.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Motto posted:

What kind of ruler removes his own day from the books?

An exceptionally humble one?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

And now she's gonna have two different voice actresses.

Eh?

I'm pretty sure they got Mayumi Shintani back for the new one. I miss something?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

For Progressive they got Megumi MOTHERFUCKING Hayashibara to voice Haruko.

Well, isn't that interesting.

Finally did some digging, and Megumi Hayashibara's playing "Haruha Raharu", which was the alias that Haruko apparently used when dealing with Amarao. And if there wasn't a VA switchup when Mayumi Shintani is coming back for the other one, that would barely draw a huh. But in context...

I'm not sure they're the same Haruko. I mean, I would not put it past Haruko to do some identity theft in pursuit of ultimate power.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

She was also referred to as Raharu once in Alternative E1, but she's credited as Haruhara.

Yeah, Alternative's got Haruko Haruhara, played by the same VA as in the original. It's progressive that's doing the other angle.

And Lupin looks cartoonier than the last couple of them, at least from the OP. Doesn't quite work for me as a whole at first glance, doesn't feel like it goes for the full mini-narrative route, but it gets close enough it stands out that it doesn't go that way.

Stylish, though. Definitely going to at least check it out if I have the time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

That is some terrible human anatomy.

Masters of Hokuto Shinken distort their bodies so that their art cannot be used against them. Duh.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

I like the shooty guy, with the hat

Loving Jigen is a good and respectable opinion.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

MEGALOBOX

loving

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULES

HOLKY

MOILY

GHUACAMOLE

Checks out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

It's very rare for violent media to acknowledge that people pisss and poo poo themselves when they die so I applaud whatever show you're referencing there

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans?

(I understand that is not what is being referenced, but it did have a scene with that. Iron Blooded Orphans is a good show where very horrible things happen all the time. Also, where most of the cast has limited access to shirts.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

i'm gonna overcome the tyrrany of combat sports people by inventing the firearm

I'm not sure that would work out as well as you think.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Endorph put it way better than I could have. For me, it's part habit, part real defensivess. Anime is an easy target, and it's easier to put some ironic distance between yourself and the things you like.

Part of it is affection, though. It's the kind of reverse-pride of the Primus fan. When I'm hanging out with my friends, the ones who like each other the most give each other the most poo poo, you know?

It's one of those things that works better with facial cues and tone of voice and all the other things text doesn't give you, though. I can go up to my friends and go "hoo boy, have I been watching some garbage" and they'll get what I mean.

Yeah. It strikes me that "I've been watching 'I can't Believe my Magical Cyborg Harem Fantasy has so Much Paperwork!' since the season started. It's garbage." can, in casual conversation, easily convey "You have to watch this, it's amazing.", "I do not know why I'm watching, save yourself" or even "I think it's my favorite show ever, but you'll hate it with the passion of a thousand suns". Meanwhile, posting the same sentence tends to draw confusion and statements like "So, why don't you stop"?

(I'd also think that another use of insults in this sort of context is to convey "I think that it's fun, but it fails at its intended aims, and is only enjoyable because of the nature of its failure". The Plan 9 thing.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Knorth posted:

I'm glad because I like liking things

I think I can provisionally agree with this.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

gun gale is the one that has some sort of overlap with kino staff right

Same writer as the original Kino's Journey light novels, yeah.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Darling in the Franxx is really good, you guys.

Zero Two tries to eat a book!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

kayakyakr posted:

Agreed. Is that one continuing?

The horsegirl anime is so... Uncomfortable...

24 episodes for Darling in the Franxx, and it just finished 13, so yeah.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darling in the Franxx is good and started out seeming Extremely Trashy, but that's steadily toned down as its gone on.

The last episode did some really neat re-contextualization of the relationship between the leads.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Perma-broke protagonist with big hair, sick martial arts skills, and a death-wish?

Compared to our boy J.D., Spike had a mere yearning. A slight death-yen.

The shots of Yuri's place were brilliant. Of course his nice house is out in the boonies.

The dog sleeps in the yard.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's intentional.

Yep. Downscaled then re-upscaled to give more of a retro feeling.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nitta isn't anything like onizuka. i think the only thing they have in common is that they are both blonde.

Well, and they're both basically decent guys despite appearances.

But yeah. For one of the most obvious examples, Nitta has almost definitely had sex at some point in his life.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

There's a terrifying amount of stuff airing this season that looks really interesting to me, please help me narrow it down at least a little bit from this list

- Golden Kamuy
- Hinamatsuri
- Hisone to Maso-san
- Lupin III Pt. 5
- Megalo Box
- SAO Alternative

What from that list looks skippable to you guys

Depends what you want out of an anime, honestly.

Megalo Box is the biggest must on that list, I'd say.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

Its probably the best of the season so far, and I don't see that going away.

Counterargument: In Megalobox, dudes get punched HELLUVA hard.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I'm watch

GGO

Megalobox

Lupin

Nobunaga Ninja

Ge

Ge

Ge Ge Ge No Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

And I recommended all of them easily.

Oh, we're listing out what we're watching?

GGO
Megalobox
Lupin
Gundam Build Divers
Hinamatsuri
Full Metal Panic
My Hero Academia
Darling in the Franxx

Even with Build Divers being a disappointment, it's a pretty good season.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Yeah the third episode is much better I felt

I'm pretty much watching the show for the seiyuus anyway

Sugita is literally being himself and I love it

Also because someone mentioned it, did the Antarctica show from last season end up good? Ended up dropping after them making the whole"Japan was bullied after WW2" comment.

The Korean community was pretty much livid and disappointed as hell if I recall lol

It's very good. That one line is pretty much the whole of commenting on Japan's geopolitical treatment, and if I remember right, it's more or less true for the specific Antarctica thing.

It's not like everyone else being pissed at Japan was unreasonable, but the arrangements for who gets what base did not have fairness as a prominent concern.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 28, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'd also toss Lupin on the pile. It had one moment hit an off emotional beat, but in general it's been fun to see Lupin and company take on the darkweb.

Moving on to slightly longer shots, SAO is actually kinda fun this season, partially since it has very little in common with other seasons of SAO, and Darling in the Franxx recently pulled some pretty nice long game reveals recontextualizing a lot of earlier moments.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Watch HisoMaso, you fools.

It's on Netflix and therefore not currently available through legal channels in the United States. Complicates things.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

eonwe posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for an anime that is 12 episodes or less that I can suggest for an anime discussion group I go to? The newer the better and probably less on the fanservicey side

Depends what they like and what they've seen already.

Your Name is one of the most popular anime of all time, might be a good pick.

It's probably much too old, but for Gundam there's 0080. OVA means it still looks gorgeous, and it's a nice little tragedy and coming of age story wrapped up in six episodes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I think it's cool that they're making something they want to make, tbh.

But don't you know that all great works of fiction are completely original?

Just ask Shakespeare, or Virgil!

From Le'Morte De Arthur to Wide Sargasso Sea, the only literature worth considering has been made when the authors deny their influences and move forward into unmapped territory.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

she's definitely good op

That does not necessarily preclude her being the worst.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Of course I'm also actually watching the show instead of judging it based on twitter posts by idiots.

It's like you don't even know how you're supposed to form opinions.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

this is gonna be another lesbian gnomes situation where I feel obligated to tell everyone watching it individually to go read the manga afterwards

The latest chapter is amazing.

Truly, Hitomi is the most powerful of them all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

kater posted:

They had beats all along.

They just acted like they didn't because they forgot about Dre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

Jin-Roh live action I'm assuming? Neat.

Yeah. Korean film, if I remember right.

• Locked thread