Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

duck monster posted:

I went on bit of a drunken troll the other day hunting down Qs on twitter and replying "Bidden is now president. God won!" (And also RTing old posts about #BidenWillNeverBePresident ) but next morning deleted it all cos it dawned on me some of these folks are not doing well emotionally, and as much as I despise Q, I'm not a oval office.

Then call me a oval office, because these past few days there has been no mercy on my part. Every instance of tearful histrionics on their part just make me thirst for more. I don't know how many I've driven to quit whatever internet space we're in for good, but it has to be a non-zero number because holy poo poo you can't come back from some of these absolute meltdowns.

I'm this close to just photoshopping Trump's face on Ramses II and busting out the Shelley quote for a quick response but I'm pretty sure it would miss the mark in 99% of cases.

I'm not even drunk lol, schadenfreude is all the drug I need right now. Beautiful. Is this it? Can this be the high point of mockery? Will nothing compare forevermore? I just can't imagine that any group of people would be willingly self-owning themselves this much in the future, but then again...people.

Either way, I have to live in the moment and treasure it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

gay picnic defence posted:

What approach is going to have the best shot at rehabilitating these people? Assuming they won't voluntarily attend deprogramming sessions.

If they don't, I don't know if they can be rehabilitated. At minimum being one of these black holes of human reasoning and morality would require some significant therapy.

I also don't care.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Froghammer posted:

Empathy and understanding, honestly. Belief in conspiracy theories is a symptom of stress and anxiety, coupled with humans' deep-seated fear of embarrassment and shame. Deprogramming is very possible, but it involves honest conversation and slowly unraveling their worldview ("Okay, you don't trust the mainstream media. Why do you trust some guy on YouTube? He's just as financially motivated as CNN or whatever")

Can't have honest conversation with someone who isn't honest.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

indiscriminately posted:

Just because something feels good doesn't mean it is good. Like, what you're talking about here is some of the same self-centered indulgence that you disdain in these pathetic people. Are you not better, and smarter, than they are?.

Oh, definitely, that is why I limit my disdain towards people who actually deserve it. I don't think what I do is good, though, but not everything one deserves has to be. But it isn't even in the same galaxy of bad that your average Qltist has engaged in.

Lib and let die posted:

Don't waste your time. This is the guy that ardently defends the US imposing sanctions on foreign nations and starving the poor citizens of those nations in USPol.

Former sure, latter, no. And not just the U.S. ;)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Civilized Fishbot posted:

You don't sound like a oval office, you sound like a loser. Nobody should ever be proud of posting on the internet; you're wrestling with pigs in the mud.

Proud? Where did I say I'm proud? Fish in a barrel, buddy, nothing to be proud of.

Amused, endlessly.

Froghammer posted:

The grifters aren't honest, your scared aunt that's terrified of how complicated the world is and is longing for simple answers probably is

Probably not though, by all available information on these people.

indiscriminately posted:

Same variety of specious, superficial rationalization you'd hear from a QAnon. You may be convincing yourself but that's as far as it goes.

You really going with "both sides" here? What exactly is wrong with my rationalization? Since it is equivalent to QAnon it should take you about five seconds to point that out.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Froghammer posted:

How the gently caress do you not have redtext yet

EDIT: bemused, smug acceptance of the status quo and refusal to view other people as people smacks of 2009ish Internet culture. It's 2021. Empathy is cool now. Please grow and evolve

Empathy to people who don't deserve it is wasted empathy. It won't be reciprocated and they will just go with the next fascist, just like they did for the one before that. And one before that. Forget and forgive is so 2008. You had the most outwardly empathetic president ever and they rewarded you with Trump.

Feel free to cash out for a redtext if that makes you feel better when I'm right, you're wrong, and these people betray what few good things America still stands for the next time around. Maybe that will help you. It won't be the first one. I'll keep making GBS threads on Y'all Q-aida in the meanwhile and reserve my empathy for non-wastes of humanity.

I don't think it is me who needs to grow and accept reality. Evolution means actually doing something new when faced with a threat. It isn't me driving for the status quo that empathy for these fucks inevitably leads to.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 22, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

indiscriminately posted:

If you are a good person, to what degree is that your own doing? How much are you allowed to pat yourself on the back for your goodness? Seems to me not very much. You didn't choose the family and geography you were born into, you didn't choose your inherent gifts or your health, you don't even choose your thought process, really. Your good actions are mostly (completely) the result of circumstance. It took me a few decades to understand this but once I did it became much easier to empathize with people who suck.

edit: vvvv Yes yes, the beatings will continue until morale improves. Quite the enterprise you have planned.

Yet billions - literally, billions alive this day - of human beings have gone through worse conditions and came through at the very least as better people then a single Qliever. Maybe not discredit them by the false belief that experienced societal, health (mental or otherwise) or other problems automatically make you a piece of poo poo.

You mistake naivety for understanding.

Otteration posted:

Nuanced and alternate takes within the spectrum also exist. Infinite punishment for infinite assholes gave us wwii after wwi, after all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Blockade

Except that most people who were not punished were not assholes.

indiscriminately posted:

How about we debate less about which people we can and can't sympathize or empathize with and instead direct our outrage ("overwhelming condemnation and opprobrium") at the corporations and platforms and demagogues that actually are responsible for producing this reality.

Why not both?

Ola posted:

I genuinely believed the US government had alien prisoners at Area 51 when I was 13. I only sort of believed it after watching X-Files, but after being exposed to group psychology when talking about it my school mates, I was convinced. We ascribed no end of malice to the US government, merely stealing an election would be peanuts. But it obviously didn't have any deep reasoning behind it. We didn't first have a thorough understanding of the nation state, democratic governance and astrobiology, then deliberately abandon that knowledge to achieve mayhem. We didn't have that knowledge to begin with and jumped into an exciting fantasy caused by ignorance fertilized with fiction. There was no bloodshed. Any subsequent knowledge we gained moved us further from that fiction. It's not weird that dumb people believe dumb things, even if those things seem shocking to you who know better.

I certainly have more sympathy for any victims, but it doesn't take much knowledge of history to understand that preventing bloodshed isn't very well achieved by starting bloodshed or by harshly ostracizing large parts of your society. There are plenty of people who will go to prison of course and there are plenty of people who at least should lose their careers for fanning the flames. Hopefully plenty of real nazis and proud boys are properly exposed so they are easier to keep tabs on in the future.

But you don't have to be their friend, you don't have to hug them. The justice system can deal with those who need to be dealt with. The bigger picture is to keep on trying to build a society where this is less likely to happen, not ostracize and oppress because that makes it more likely to happen. And we need to find a good way to deal with malicious propagandists online.

What do you think is the best path towards building that society? Empathy, reaching out and treating shitheads like non-shitheads, or dragging them kicking and screaming to the future alongside everyone who isn't a shithead, continuing the beatings until they stop kicking the other people walking that path?

Because everyone who actually improvised society went with the latter. Your path lead towards America having to deal with the swell of white supremacy every half-century or so.

I vote for poo poo that improves society. I don't have to do jack poo poo for these fucks otherwise. They get the benefits either way. Anyone who welcomes them into society time and time again without punishment for their horrific actions (who do you think these people vote for?) is part of the problem, not the solution.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 23, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ola posted:

Short term, obviously put to trial and imprison everyone that has committed a crime and whatever action possible to the republicans that fanned the flames. Long term, universal health care and better access to higher education. Political action against grifting and other institutionalized corruption. Stricter laws for what the president can do in the future. Harsher penalties for violent threats, harsher consequences for social media companies that carry such threats.

Cool, give these people a seat and you'll never reach those things.

quote:

But are all improvised societies better than the American one? The swell of white supremacy is really bad, but lots of other societies known for social harshness have them as well, and are worse in other areas .

No, some are worse. Often due to the same issue of unaccountability high and low.

quote:

When you say "dragging them", "continuing the beatings", what do those metaphors actually entail? Say someone goes to prison for taking part in the insurrection. After a while they get out. Then what? I would have no qualms about cutting them out of my life, even if it was a relative. But if I owned a store, should I deny them access? Vandalize their car, hurt them physically?

Cut them off. Sever any and all ties to them. Laugh them out of the room. Openly mock and shame them. Make it unacceptable to be like them if they want to be a part of polite society and make a re-entry into that society, to those who have shat on its' every principle, be conditional on more then "My disgusting fantasies didn't come true and I feel bad, friends again?"

Because recognizing a lie in one very easily proven case does not mean they have undone the awful moral failure that led into them believing in the craziest possible lie. The best thing unconditional empathy and acceptance can get out of an former Qultist will be your average Republican. What good are those for societal improvement?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I mean obviously, not all.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

indiscriminately posted:

Yeah, some are. That doesn't mean all of them are, or even most of them are. Also, immigrants can be belligerent toward other immigrants.

Most of them definitely are.

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/8/17657800/qanon-reddit-conspiracy-data

https://mashable.com/article/qanon-conspiracy-baby-boomers-4chan/?europe=true

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/10/22/qanon-poll-finds-half-trump-supporters-believe-baseless-claims/3725567001/

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TulliusCicero posted:

The GOP is a terrorist organization at this point and should be treated accordingly

That's kinda downgrading them. They are literally as bad as the Nazi Party in the 30s, with the exact same actions down to a loving Putsch (a bigger one, in the literal center of the government and not some random beer hall).

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BiggerBoat posted:

Not really no but I don't understand gay Republicans at all either.

I'm bi, which is neither here nor there I suppose, but back when I'd get out more and frequent certain social circles, it always astonished me to see how much anti Obama sentiment there was in the gay community, particularly among lesbians. It's anecdotal so it might not mean much but I remember catching a fair amount of poo poo for my tiny Obama button in mostly gay hangouts.

It's tempting to say it has something to do with income levels but most of these people were as broke as I was if not more so. My ex wife's best friend was a lesbian whose partner played in an all girl band so we got out a lot in that crowd and socialized with a lot of gay women. I couldn't chalk it up to racism either given the demographics of my hangouts and the neighborhood I lived in. I've also known a couple of very well off gay men where I guess tax brackets might be a thing for them but I still don't see how that weighs out against belonging to or voting for a party or a subscribing to an ideology that thinks you are a subhuman monster spawned from Satan.

Then again, I don't even think most of the fire and brimstone southern GOP really believes that poo poo either. It's just useful to pretend they do.

There's also a TON of closeted "tough guy redneck" type gay men. I live in NE FL (so basically southern GA), which is a pretty red voting area and a lot of those huntin/fishin/shootin/pick up truck drivin fellas are gay as gently caress but not real comfortable with it so I guess self hate enters into it at some point? Back in the craigslist days and on gay dating sites I've met and seen my share of them, many of whom were married and getting into stuff on the down low, so maybe there's a shame element that makes them pretend and sort of over compensate so they blend in with their neighbors (?)

None of that explains Q though.

Not sure. I dunno. I can't speak for every non straight republican voter and this is the Q thread anyway so I'm way off topic but just telling you what I've seen on the ground and in my same sex travels. It confuses me also.

Is the Log Cabin caucus even alive anymore? I wonder.

Ola posted:

Is that a fencing scar? That's a proper nazi.

WWI marks, I believe.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wait, space is fake now too?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So they really believe that the entirety of the universe is a flat plane the size of Earth's surface area. Oh, for fucks sake. :eng99:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

letthereberock posted:

Does flat earth-ism generally coincide with other awful conspiracy theories? Because if it doesn’t, in 2021 I kind of want to give them a pass. It’s a sign of how the past four years has changed me that I’m kinda fine with “the Earth is a disk” as long as it’s not “the Earth is a disk, therefore we must make Trump President for life and execute all gay people”

I mean at least one Flat Earth documentary I saw made it pretty clear it is intertwined with some really toxic bullshit too (MRA, great replacement, blah blah) but I suppose it isn't inherent to the belief in flat Earth...just you know, similar cross-sectional of the populace.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

E-Tank posted:

Every single pilot is in on the conspiracy. If you hire one they will simply fly you around in circles to give the illusion that you're going around the world. Yes, they actually believe this. You cannot get a pilots license without swearing to secrecy that the world is flat. And they enforce this. . . *somehow*.

So uh, basically this conspiracy is completely dependent on the TRUTH-KNOWERS just being too lazy to learn to fly themselves?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Also accelerating upwards...to where? If the cosmos is just a painted ceiling or some poo poo.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
A bit off topic, but anyone read the comic "Department of Truth"? I just discovered it, it touches on practically everything discussed here in a really great manner.

It is about a world where anything people believe in hard enough becomes reality. An old-rear end Lee Harvey Oswald is leading the government department dedicated to not having insane conspiracy theories become widespread enough to gain too much power. The issue about false flag shootings convinced me that Alex Jones shouldn't see the outside of a loving cell ever again and that has nothing to do with any supernatural things.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lib and let die posted:

We should sanction Alex Jones so his kids starve. That'll teach 'em!

Lib and let die posted:

Oh, heavens no. That's DarkCrawler's bag. Dude loves defending sanctions.

I think this has to be the most reached "god I'm a butthurt little loser too scared to debate but I sure love whining periodically" snipe I've seen thus far. It is fun to see my work has such concrete effects though ;)
'
Still lying, though. I love defending some sanctions. Any time you want to engage me in a relevant thread instead of just self-righteously tearing up somewhere completely unrelated, just throw me an invite.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 27, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

VitalSigns posted:

The stuff spread by her enemies make her sound awesome though ("no puny man dick could satisfy her gargantuan she-ra vagina, only the hugest horse cock for her pleasure!"), while all the stuff she was proud of was horrible (started a bunch of wars, murdered piles of people, enslaved tens of thousands, was indifferent to the serfs, generally was evil and greedy and lovely)

Don't forget being Mother of the Year (lol)

To be fair though her son DID suck

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Charles the Bald, Ethelread the Unready, and Edward Longshanks all up in heaven angrily demanding to have a word.

Edward Longshanks is a freaking badass name. Dude was so huge and terrifying that a person literally died of a heart attack when he was yelling at him, that nickname wasn't mocking. Of course, Edward was also known as Malleus Scotorum so he had options.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Imagine openly allowing to have your name associated with this insane poo poo

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
*that Nietzsche quote*

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
poo poo, me and the three corpses I dug out were all ready to act but those drat pedo-worshipping National Guardsmen foiled everything! Waiting for the next hero...:smith:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What’s the context, as the origin of 4chan?

Jesus, what? :stare:

This is like finding out that famous mass murderer HitlerStalin was inspired by my badminton group

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Oh man I remember when I used to hate animus and furries and whatever

Nowadays...I don't give a poo poo if you want to gently caress your waifu pillow with your prosthetic fox dick, more power to you, at least you're not something completely sick and vile, like a conservative

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
In my experience neopaganism/new age/crystal whateverthefuck is an extremely white, extremely middle class thing. Prime recruitment ground for Q-poo poo.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Guess we know why he is thinking of not running again lol

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Phobophilia posted:

Q people, like Trump, freaking love movies and pop culture, they're the kind of hogs who would guzzle all the slop served to them by others. I mean the WWG1WGA slogan came from a completely forgettable Ridley Scott film that only boomers think fondly of. They desperately crave the approval of Hollywood stars and celebrities, people who have made It. It's just that most of them are Coastal Elites who don't share most of their social values, and the only ones they get are the D-list Sorbo-tier losers.

I just can't imagine being a conservative who likes pop culture or music of any sort that isn't dead racist white men (and like five alive racist white men). How can you enjoy anything knowing that the people involved are 99% sure to hate you?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nah, they're definitely bad people. I mean he's the lawyer so he has to say poo poo like that, but they're terrible, terrible people. Let's stop stigmatizing those with mental and developmental conditions.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Neo_Crimson posted:

Aren't most Q people pretty well-off suburbanites?

From my highly representative and scientific sample of browsing QAnoncasualties and shaking my head, approximately 95% of them are suburbanites whose friends and family just can't loving give it to them straight.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

VitalSigns posted:

Those people are all literal demons

600,000 dead in Iraq alone

Still?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

RatHat posted:

It's quite scary to think what Heaven's Gate could've accomplished with the modern internet/social media.

I mean at least Heaven's Gate didn't try to take the whole country down with them...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

BigglesSWE posted:

YHWH is a jealous God which is an interesting admission in Exodus.

If he’s jealous, why not a dick, is my point.

Also if there are no other gods, what would he be jealous about?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

indiscriminately posted:

Reads to me like you're giving yourself permission for hatred.

There's absolutely nothing wrong in hating these people. Though it's not really about genetics.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kurzon posted:

Ethnocentrism is a natural human behavior that appears in all cultures everywhere. That means it has a biological basis.

Yes, but I would argue that nobody is genetically more suspectible to being a racist. So it is really about what other factors influence the potential of being a bigot that all humans have.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kurzon posted:

Why not? Some people are more susceptible to anger or lust.

Ethnocentrism is not exactly the same concept as aggression. Or sexual drive.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There isn't really much need to understand a group where every single member is a terrible person. I mean if you are interested in that on an academic level or for your own interested amusement, sure. But when the best specimen from a group is still a complete failure of basic morals and human potential, your average person doesn't really have any need to dig any deeper.

For example: QAnonists.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

IPlayVideoGames posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/debdrens/status/1417472760096428033

And these are the types of people who complain about how they are alone on holidays because their families have cut off all contact with them for some wild reason. Sickening.

The amount of (grown-up, self-sufficient) people who haven't cut off all contact with these types of people in that subreddit is way too high (0<)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I have no problem with belief but if you look at the evidence of the world and believe in an omnipotent, loving God...well I have couple of billion holes in that theory, that's all I am saying. But beliefs themselves can be good, even illogical ones, if they are actually followed.