Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Tei posted:

Generic advice for new players:

Save The World.
- Build a list of people you have fun playing with. Its a better game when you play with like minded people. Even another warm body you know you can trust is better than be left to the randomness of randoms.
- Don't build the stop the husk. Thats the wrong mindset. And don't build with torret defense games in mind. This is not a torret defense game. Build so that defenders are happy defending. You are building fortress, and the players are the ones defending it. Make their work easy.
- If somebody build something that seems stupid. Wait to see how it works in actual combat. Some people have weird building styles that do work. If it don't work, fix with your resources. Getting into a fight to build "right" will just waste everyone mats.

- When starting out, don't worry about building the cool new Blue/Purple/Gold weapon you just got, because you can coast pretty far on Grey/Green weapons in the first Biome. Blue+ weapons tend to use resources that are harder to come by. Conversely, traps have a flatter resource sink.
-You may notice people in chat asking to trade. Ignore them.
-Recycle Worn-Out Weapons! Recycling weapons gets you back valuable resources that you'd otherwise have to waste time on a mission to get. If the weapon breaks, you get nothing. The higher the rarity, the more and better materials you'll get for recycling. And don't worry about recycling the awesome Purple/Gold rear end-scratcher you just found, there's always another dragon to chase. Speaking of which...
-You'll get a lot of gear when out on missions. You might want to save traps for your Base if they're Blue+. Conversely, you'll find a ton of weapons that are usually worn to the point of breaking. Feel free to use those for the mission, then recycle them for materials.
-In the far North of the Stonewood Stormshield is a soccer field. You're a terrible person if you don't preserve it like the treasure it is.
-When you max out your wood/brick/steel after a mission, it never hurts to place or upgrade some new floors around your Base Stormshield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Tei posted:

IT tooke them 20 days to solve my vbucks problem. Giving them money now is a gamble for how saturated is their service. They are making money so fast (120 million dollars/month, number pulled from my rear end) that they have problems counting it.

Were you on PC or PS4?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

A friend mentioned that the seasonal tokens were being rolled over to next season. Is that correct? The Shamrock Reclaimer seems kinda neat, but I'd bank my coin if there's a summer event on the horizon.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Shamrock reclaimer looks like a Southie pimp with no self awareness and it rules.

He's kinda mediocre though. He really needs an extra charge after 45-50 kills I think.

Noted.

You peoples mind sharing your opinions on what's in the Spring It On shop?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

quote:

We’re back with another Roadmap update, we’ve since dropped a slew of quality of life changes and 'The Three Husketeers' Questline in the v3.4 update. Note: The Spring it On! Questline will be ending on Wednesday, April 11 at 8PM ET. Here’s a peek into the near future:

Patch 3.5 (Week of 4/9)

Into the Storm event begins
Part 1 of the Questline!
Arid Biome
New Survive the Storm Map
New Heroes
New abilities not just reskins, Constructors may have a reason to let the Husks in...
New Weapons
Shiny ones too!
More QoL improvements.
Outlander Rework - We’ve heard you on fragments and have given the Outlander an overhaul!

Patch 3.5 content update (Week of 4/16)

New weapon in Event Store!
Into the Storm Part 2 - You must complete Part 1 of this questline for Part 2 to unlock.

Patch 3.6 (Week of 4/23)

New Utility Item
More in the next roadmap update...
Neat.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Korhal posted:

Lots of stuff down at the moment it seems, namely logins and matchmaking. You can check https://status.epicgames.com/ in the future if you wanna see if it is on Epic's end.

Great. I had saved up enough to get some decent PvE stuff that's going to disappear in an hour and a half.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Raccooon posted:

I picked a bad day to try fortnite for the first time

Nah, this is perfect to demonstrate what happens after every patch.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

I've been trying out the crossbow in PvE and good God why did they make it so terrible?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

^burtle posted:

Pretty loving baller move to drop it on the day of Destiny 2's new expansion.

To be honest they're likely doing Destiny 2 a favor.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Tei posted:

STW is good if you are the type of person that have fun drinking alone thinking about remodeling a room in your house.

Stop doxxing me, man. :mad:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

"SynthesisAlpha posted:

Unless someone punched the mission way too early I can't see even terrible pubbies sabotaging the mission with incompetence.

I've already seen people putting boxes around deployed turrets and destroying chests that are being opened in the two months I've been playing. It's going to happen.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

spamhead80 posted:

Father Wendigo and I play frequently and we are trying to work our way through the rest of Plankerton right now.
This is true.

quote:

We are both non-rear end in a top hat adults
This is bullshit and you know it. :colbert:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

LuciferMorningstar posted:

StW folks: is there some accepted wisdom about how to use gold?

If there's something you want, buy it? The cap is 5k and gold comes from almost all missions and trash llamas, so don't worry about hoarding too much.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

For all seven people who play Save the World: Epic is dropping a 'State of the Game' blogpost at 3 pm EST that they've said is going to be a lot more substantial in expressing what they have planned for the PvE mode.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Seditiar posted:

I'm honestly curious. They need to bring some really promising news if they want higher players to stick around for much longer.

There's quire a bit - https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/save-the-world-state-of-development---june-2018

quote:

Canney Valley Campaign part 1
Canney Valley unique biome
Recruit/Research to get whatever hero/schematic you want
Unslotting things in the Collection Book
New enemies
Other Stuff

edit: gently caress me, beaten like a dog.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

There is a leak/rumor running around that something called "Leviathan" is coming and it has a ltm attached to it.

It would be pretty cool if elements of PvE got added to PvP. Or maybe a 20-50 PvE where some big stationary sky beast is raining meteors while the storm slowly closes in, and players have to find and fire off surface to air missiles to kill it.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Another "portal" has appeared at the rundown motel, the lonely portal is getting bigger, and the crack is widening.

Edit: beaten.

I wish Destiny 2 had interesting poo poo like this. :smith:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Seditiar posted:

I'm really hoping they keep doing it like the events lately. Haven't paid a lot of attention in Plankerton (and late SW) because there wasn't a ton of story and was fairly slow iirc. Also definitely excited about the biome and the new rewards. Really wishing they'd temporarily give Twine Peaks the desert biome as well.

Nah, they should use the Halloween assets for Twine Peaks.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Seditiar posted:

The patch notes always fitted in a single reddit comment. The Save the World notes needed 3 comments to fit everything. :getin:

Most things looking great as well although I'm kinda worried about the lack of a proper lag fix. Unless I missed it (not a hard thing to do with the size of 'em).

Literally every Class in StW has just gotten straight buffs across the board. No idea if it's going to fix the Twine Peaks problem, but it's a welcome change.

DarkDobe posted:

Now look at the PVE end of the scale...
(Don't - it's horrible)

It's still not good, but the addition of vBucks as a mission reward and events usually paying out $5-8 is slowly making it passable.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Seditiar posted:

Fix what TP problem? The lag is not as bad, but still horrible (at least hover turrets don't make it laggy anymore).

The Outlander (and to a lesser extent Ninja) abilities damage output didn't scale well against enemies found in TP, even with a high Tech stat.

That said, I tried the new Phase-Shift on TEDD-Shot Jess this morning and it is a game changer. The faster cooldown, longer distance, upping the reserves to 3, and the speed boost after use made it feel like I was using an entirely different class. The synergy of being able to fly over a point, plonk down a turret, and zip back behind cover feels great.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

It rules that ps4 services had a meltdown today

It's like a play in two acts.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 13, 2018

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

HebrewMagic posted:

This game needs hoverboards

PvE has hoverboards and is half price!*

*[Hoverboards not immediately available upon starting the game.]

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Crossposting from C-SPAM:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Seditiar posted:

I'm so happy they gave Twine Peaks desert/thunder route 99 maps as well. The desert biome looks amazing.

I'm trying to hedge my optimism, but I'm really hoping Twine Peaks gets a forest hellscape biome that's as good as Canny is. They knocked this one out of the park.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Maybe he's Mormon or Jehovah's Witness but he likes to live it up now and then.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

The Hydra is available in the StW Event store at a discount. If you don't have it, buy one and love it.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

codo27 posted:

So like...are people still playing that? I know they are not in direct competition (or are they?) but I always felt such buyers remorse for that game even at $40 and Fortnite just blows it away for me for fun and content...and its free

ABC broadcast the semi-finals to their Championship this past Sunday afternoon.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They had Disney XD and ESPN2 broadcasts for some of the finals games too.

True. However, they've had going on three years to have a lifeguard/Olympic diver Roadhog in a speedo skin and haven't produced so the game's still irredeemable poo poo in my opinion.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

I've gotten two of the three BR Birthday bonuses, is there any incentive to get all 3 beyond being completionist? I could care less about the sticker.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Bettyspagh3tt1 posted:

How much less?

I believe you get the back bling for completing all 3.

Cool, now I don't have to worry about cake dances.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

jackhunter64 posted:

Galaxy brain idea: Redeemable codes for now-unavailable skins included in the box. Blood will be shed in toy shops across the world.

I love this idea so much. Also the sachrine alternative where nerdlingers buy out the entire stock for the codes and donate the toys for Christmas.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Turns out you only get a season 6 recap if you signed up for the newsletter. Which apparently I didn't. Signed up now but who knows if I'll get one. RIP.

What's the recap and where do I sign up for the newsletter? :sigh:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Spacedad posted:

Oh and, airplanes are a good addition in team battle modes. There's crazy dogfights going on and sometimes weird chaotic poo poo like this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQfZZLg1b7I
There is nothing more satisfying than crashing into one of the highrises in Tilted and taking out the dork who built a 4 ramp ladder and the mark they were trying to get the drop on.

Never don't go full Launchpad.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

To anyone playing Save the World and at least two Storm Shield Defenses into Twine Peaks, there's an Exotic Lead Survivor for a mission reward for the next few hours.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Mythic, unique, named, gold-colored - whatever. It's the actual endgame chase people drop $10 for in the hopes of getting one at random. It's the Pragmatic Engineering Corp. woman.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Is anyone left on PS4 who wouldn't mind helping me finish out the overtime challenges to get the free Battle Pass? I'm not sure if my usual crew will be around.

PSN ID is the same as my username here with an underscore instead of a space in the middle.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

The pings are a god send. This is my first battle pass, any tips? Should I just be focusing on doing as many challenges as possible?
You're not in any hurry to do stuff, and location-specific objectives that aren't 'Kill 3 people at [LOCATION]' can be hell to complete for their initial week. Just do whatever you're feeling like.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

I guess I'm the only one really enjoying the new StW loadout system. It may be because I have over a year's worth of legendary/mythic heroes and all 5 slots open, but if anything it's opened up waaay more options for me than it's closed.

Also I'm starting the grind to open up Twine Peaks; if anyone needs help with previous chapters ping me. My schedule is wonky but I'll figure something out.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Almost everything you had before was more powerful and unique.
Over half of heroes I had were absolute trash and a dozen classes were bonkers powerful before. I rolled TeddShot Jess almost exclusively through Canney and there was at least one Urban Assault Soldier with me every game.

I'll admit you have to dump a *ton* of experience into heroes to actually get a good sideboard of support, but being able to customize with things like quadruple jump for ninja or leaving Roman candles, aftershocks on grenades, on phase shift makes a lot of the former trash tier heroes viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Nullsmack posted:

I think the nerfed Outlanders main abilities a little too much. People are finding good builds though. Some of them require you to have certain heroes and weapons. There's a neat subzero zenith one that combines with a fast sniper rifle perked for CR that just constantly freezes everything.
There's some nice perks for constructors, like the Ice King has one that adds a snare to husks touching the area of their BASE.
Hopefully they'll be tweaking the system with each new release. The soldiers and outlanders both got nerfed way too much with their main abilities.
There are some interesting things you can do with the minigun perks that extend the time its out and reduce the downtime.
Ninjas got massive buffs and actually feel good to play now. I've completely swapped from playing outlanders to ninjas.

That's about my takeaway. Constructors will be in a decent spot once they make ROSIE not a terrible waste of time and have decoy health scale properly. Bull Rush taking out walls and garbage is a game changer for me.