Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Shawshank looks amazing in 4k and I'm very glad I picked it up - it's a shame the steelbook art is so bad though. I'm glad I didn't get that version as the regular version's slipcover is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I have the Shawshank Blu-ray steelbook and the cover is the shot in the movie where Andy is standing in the rain after he escapes and his arms are outstretched, it’s pretty much perfect. The new Steelbook looks real bad by comparison.

I think that's the shot they used on the inside of the new 4k steelbook case

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I would love to see Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle get 4k releases but I'm not gonna get my hopes up

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That hurts my brain

What in the world

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol just bought the two movie collection like two months ago

oh well glad to see more older comedies get 4k editions

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Elf and Christmas Vacation (along with Jim Carrey's Grinch and the original animated Grinch) are holiday staples in my household that get shown every year so I'm really looking forward being able to present them in 4k for the first time this year. Hopefully they do a good job with them.

They don't know it yet but I'm adding in Fatman with Mel Gibson and Walton Goggins this year and they'll never see it coming.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Is it normal for Vinegar Syndrome to charge your card now for a pre-order that doesn't ship until like December? This is my first order from them and I guess most of the places I order from charge on the ship date.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Thank you for the responses - I guess I'm used to pre-ordering at places like amazon and best buy where they often times charge you when your order ships. I know they're legitimate I've just never ordered straight from them and just was curious if it was the usual or if it was because we are locking in the discount price before their black friday sale.

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't worry, they're not some fly by night operation, you will get your copy of Roadhouse.

got me

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Amazon is doing some weird stuff with pre-orders recently

I had a pre-order say it wasn't going to ship until like two weeks after release so I cancelled it and reordered just to see if the date was the same and it changed to release day shipping then shipped on release

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

yeah typically it's just the card they include in the plastic wrap you can take off and throw away

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

pwn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kc9E8MVvFo

I have a new go-to for whenever I feel like I have too many movies

pwn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kc9E8MVvFo

I have a new feelgood go-to for whenever I feel like I'm hoarding too much physical media

you must have liked it, posting it two days in a row lol

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Has there ever been a reason given for why Toys (1992) isn't on blu ray? I mean outside of the poor box office numbers at the time of course. A 4k of that movie with HDR would look amazing. It's so colorful.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Homeybeef posted:

I'll take any physical release of Buster Scruggs at this point.

Would love this too. Along with a 4k of Shaolin Soccer.. or even a blu ray really. I've seen blu ray versions of Shaolin Soccer on sale on ebay but I don't know that any of them are legit.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

glad that the 4k of Young Guns appears to be a pretty good transfer especially compared to the tragic previous blu ray - I liked the look of the best buy steelbook with the wanted poster plastic slip too so I put in that preorder

I love a good (but also bad) popcorn action western from the 80s or 90s

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://x.com/kyle_milner/status/1735063299266633886?s=20

True Lies looks to be the dud from the group. Goddamn. What is wrong with him

I really hope he didn't gently caress up the abyss

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Oh hey, mine came in the other day too, in black and white. It looks great and can fit up to a VHS or VHS-sized case.

does anyone know if these will fit the vinegar syndrome magnet snap UHD special edition boxes?

I have a few and I've been looking for a way to actually display them but most display stands are for thinner boxes

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

For thickness, the VHS is basically the tightest squeeze you'll get. So I'd grab a tape and compare. I don't have a magnet snap case myself to check.

thank you for the info - I was planning on grabbing one anyway but displaying those nice VS UHD boxes is what I was hoping I could use it for

PinkoBastard posted:

I’m not certain but if it can hold a VHS tape I feel like it’s a probably?

Yeah I cant imagine there is too much of a difference on thickness

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Just went to Wal-Mart. They have some interesting glow-in-the-dark covers going on, but more importantly my local place had plenty of steelbooks - and I got to pick up a Rocketman BD steel for $9! Hell of a deal.

Finally snagged the previously sold out American Psycho clear plastic slip best buy edition that was going for a hundred dollars on ebay at walmart for 25 bucks right off the shelf. Really happy they took those over because I saw one for Hell Or High Water that I'm probably going to get too.

I'm a whore for those clear plastic slipcover special edition steelbooks - they look so good and I think I have a dozen or so of them now.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Boinks posted:

Has anyone been effected by the Warner Bros disc rot problem? I guess the classic cinema collectors are really screwed by it.

From what I gather, the Cinram plant in Olyphant, PA was cutting corners on these discs and anything produced from 2006-2009 has started to fail. It's mostly box sets of older films/archive stuff.

I found a list of titles here.

Is this just standard DVDs?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Boinks posted:

Yep, just DVDs.

Thank you, and thanks for posting the list

I think I have a few on there but unfortunately at this point I just assume most of my standard dvds are a coin flip on actually playing correctly. I've upgraded all the ones that I could. Disc/data rot is a shame.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Ugh of course, of the 3 discs in the abyss, they put the uhd on top of another disc. Definitely one or two noticeable marks on it, guess I'll watch that tonight to see how bad the damage is.

consider yourself lucky that you got a copy

I pre-ordered the day it went up and now it's been delayed on amazon with no actual date for shipping lol - it appears some retailers didn't even get any copies of the three cameron movies that released today. I'll still be glad to own it in HD whenever it actually gets shipped to me.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Top Secret! in 4k would be awesome.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

A Speed Racer 4K is something that should already exist. Hoping it comes to fruition.

speed racer is second for me only to the robin williams movie Toys for movies I think would benefit from 4k HDR/Dolby because the visuals are insane

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Well, I just bought the Tron Legacy and Speed Racer Blu-Rays after finally finding them in the wild in a way to tell the universe to hurry up and make those 4Ks. Thank me later.

if that's how it works I'm going to buy a couple dozen dvd copies of Toys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It also appears that pre-ordering a billion copies now and selling them for 100 dollars on ebay is something the scalpers have leaned extremely heavily into. You can't pre-order the walmart exclusive steelbook of The Crow because it's now 'out of stock' but you can find at least 15 accounts selling "10 or more" quantity pre-orders on secondhand sites. It seems to be getting worse and it's complete bullshit.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 30, 2024