Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
It says right there that the Coens made the cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

It says that the info came from an "email that was shared online". They really should make some sort of statement available on the website about it or something because cutting out lines is a pretty big issue that people want to know about before buying. It should've been called a director's cut.

Yeah absolutely, just that it does say why and people were asking. The real funny part is I took a few minutes to go to Twitter and read everything before replying, and by that time several replies had been made pointing out the same thing.

dorium posted:

The regular non-Criterion edition is also readily available for under $10 on eBay for anyone interested.

I just finally pulled the trigger on that four movie Coen brothers box set (+Blood Simple, Fargo, Raising Arizona) tonight for $20. Cheapest title I've bought this year

pwn
May 27, 2004

Brexit the Frog posted:

digital “movie spree” codes for Ultraman + Ultra Seven boxsets:

ultraman: ULTMS-UNY83-2AVB9-EUN45
ultra7: ULT7S-TKK8T-N5BPN-K6ZWD

Thanks, I have wanted to check out the expansive Ultra series since Mill Creek began giving sets to that Cereal at Midnight guy in exchange for his promotions, but it's so much content, this will be nice.

So as a way to pay it forward, here, a spare La La Land code, you can go to movieredeem.com and, once entered, you can choose where you want it: Apple, Vudu, or... Google, I think? Anyway, have fun.

97T7NLNPJETW

Edit: Learned the hard way about how MovieSpree functionally doesn't exist anymore. Also about just how much Shout! continues to be terrible. Lol

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 22, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

I will never understand people who love physical media but hate physical media

pwn
May 27, 2004

Roll that beautiful quinoa footage

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I emailed Mill Creek about it. Has anyone had any luck getting replacement discs from them?

Couple years ago Lyle Goff at Mill Creek got my replacement disc for 30 Rock out very quickly, he good people.

EDIT: I should note that I had waited until I knew they had replacement discs ready to go. It obviously takes a bit of time to ramp up production, especially these days.

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 13, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Stick it in release date order with the rest of the Coen Bros stuff, where ever that happens to currently fit.

This is the correct answer.

I group things by director, studio, boutique label, and format. For instance all the Criterion are together, except for Punch Drunk Love, which is with the PTA collection. All Steelbooks are together, except The Master, which is again with the PTAs, and the Pixars, which are with the Pixars, which are next to (but not mixed in with) the Disney animated films. Never bought a Disney animated film in Steelbook format because I can not fathom splitting up the SB family even more.

Kinos are together, Warners Archive are together, Arrows are together (including Mallrats, which is NOT with the Kevin Smith collection.) DVDs are generally separate from Blu-rays, though they will be in collections when necessary (Hard Eight with the PTAs (gently caress the overpriced FOMO [imprint] label), Kino DVDs I missed on Blu with the Kino Blus, etc.)

This leads to odd matters like Rocky Horror and Shock Treatment, which ought to be together, being far apart (RHPS in Steelbooks, Shock Treatment in the Arrow quiver.)

Most of these collections are ordered chronologically. Unaffiliated Steelbooks are sorted by how visually appealing they look together, since Steelbooks are primarily art objects.

My record collection has similar hierarchy.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I'm pretty sure most cases are work for hire, but I admit to not being an expert in the matter, just someone who listened to the Poster Boys podcast. Found an interesting (if not frustrating) piece while wading through the wastewater that is Google.

At any rate, Criterion does their own art because it's part of their visual identity, in my opinion.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yes it's primary source: Forums Nerds, in the Blu-ray dot com forums, seems to be an issue with idiots who do not have their sets properly calibrated.

jkoffman posted:

I believe their issue here is more that 4K TVs have different options and ways of handling a UHD video -- many of which are turned on by default -- such that again it's too far removed from what they are intending for you to see.

ShellOilJunior posted:

All I've found is an article about filmmaker mode from 2019 when Anderson, Nolan, Scorsese, and others reached out to the UHDA.

A quote from Anderson:

quote:

"With all the advances in today’s televisions, now is a great time to introduce Filmmaker Mode. It's just impossible to ignore what the technology can do," said Paul Thomas Anderson, director of There Will Be Blood and Phantom Thread. "We can use these capabilities to preserve the intent of the filmmaker, preserve the purpose of the art."

That said, the thread consensus seems to be that a UHD is more probable than not. Universal released the Phantom Thread 4k a month after the Blu-ray, and speculation is that the Licorice Pizza release (also a Universal distro) is pushed back (from its original tentative March 8-15 window) to accommodate plastering any potential Oscar wins on the packaging. Similarly, a UHD may follow shortly after the initial release.

But nobody actually knows much of anything, besides that there will be a Blu-ray. Soon.

pwn
May 27, 2004

To break my goddamned life apparently.

Serious answer: Maybe meeting profit something something end of Q1?

A combination of gratitude and resentment to Egbert for the recs. RIP my birthday funds

pwn
May 27, 2004

Also be sure you make an account before ordering, or you'll miss out on those rewards points you have no idea exist.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Guess what just showed up in the mail!

Its the replacement disc from my Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle set! Mill Creek is good people.

Nice, and now you got a replacement handy for the next time you get one of those awful Eco cases.

Edit: They shipped my 30 Rock disc in a cardboard envelope mailer

pwn
May 27, 2004

I would not have guessed that there would be a second boutique label dedicated to ultra low budget horror. Hopefully Sterling Entertainment doesn't go under.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I've never seen Robocop. If someone wants to buy me Robocop, I will consider watching it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Timby posted:

I ... how? How? With as media-obsessed as you are, how have you not seen that classic?

Anyway, it's streaming on Philo and it goes up on Hulu / Netflix / Amazon Prime seemingly every other month (although that'll probably be only Prime in the future, since Amazon owns the Orion catalog by way of its purchase of MGM last year).

It just never looked appealing to me, though I never really knew it was satire until now, it looked like 80s Reagan-era copaganda. More interested in it now.

Edit: Even though I grew up in the 80s and 90s I was more about Indiana Jones and BttF and Hook and What About Bob? than Robocop and Jean Claude Van Damme; Little Prince and Belle and Sebastian and Rugrats than TMNT and GI Joe. My dad was big into the action flicks though so I was exposed to a lot of Van Damme. I don't ever remember him watching Robocop. It was mainly something I saw parodied in Cracked and Mad.

Edit 2: please enjoy this ridiculous piece from Cracked #258 as tribute for my crime of not having watched RoboCop.

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 11, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tonight, I find the answer to the eternal question: What's tougher to watch, the 90 minutes of torturing jesus to death in Passion of the Christ, or Dana Carvey's 1990 feature debut Opportunity Knocks?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

I've never watched either. August is the 20th anniversary of Carvey irretrievably tossing his career in the toilet with Master of Disguise.

What a coincidence; August 30th will be the 18th anniversary of when I got Passion, I worked at a video store at the time and had a copy ordered on day 0 (the movies came in the day before street.) I finally watched it after nearly 18 years, which has to be the longest I've owned a title without watching it.

They were both poo poo btw

Iron Crowned posted:

Who's going to know?

All I know is I'm about to be inundated with preorders over the next few months, and I still have a pile of movies I haven't watched that's bigger than usual

As my ridiculous Indicator sale haul was making its way to me a few weeks ago, I decided to get serious and start watching. Been watching at least one film every day, almost entirely films I've not seen before. This week's specific theme is Films I've Owned for Years and Never Watched. Besides Passion (2004,) other notable titles that have been sitting around for a while are Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2013) and Blazing Saddles (2011.) Both were considerably more enjoyable than last night's shitshow.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Liar Lyre posted:

I need shelves! Normally, I’d buy some Billy’s from ikea to match my other Billy’s but they’ve sold out for a while now. Anybody have good recs? I’m currently living in an apartment and probably can’t anchor anything to my wall so I need something with high capacity and stability.

I’ve seen some from Atlantic that look promising, like this and this if anyone has tried these before.

Yeah I've been eyeballing those Atlantic shelves, they come recommended from this dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU311QK1cfk

pwn
May 27, 2004

Thanks to Boywhiz88 for the heads-up on BB's price. Now I just need to get a UHD player :shepface:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Video Helical Scan, though double-checking that was the original meaning, at some point it was retconned to the backronym Video Home System.

pwn
May 27, 2004

VHS is a poo poo format anyway, I have hundreds of the damned things and am digitizing them as fast as I can before they rot away entirely.

Call me when there's a UMat revival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGR3HjGqhM

pwn
May 27, 2004

Hasturtium posted:

Laserdisc was also the first real showcase for quality home theater audio - it supported digital audio before any other medium, including Dolby Digital surround, and the spec topped out at multichannel 1.5 Mbit DTS HD. That wasn’t lossless, but at a point when fuzzy stereo audio coming out of a CRT was standard, it was a different experience altogether. The video was an incremental improvement, on par with the later S-VHS, but Laserdisc was plural orders of magnitude more likely to have widescreen transfers. Overall it was a really interesting experiment and the first home video format for film connoisseurs. But as you said, VHS was so flexible and ubiquitous (and so much cheaper) that it was always going to win on sheer numbers. That DVD - and the roughly simultaneous emergence of TiVos and set top boxes - toppled VHS so quickly took a lot of people by surprise.

It's worth noting that Laserdiscs did not take advantage of the AV quality until Criterion came along in 84 and even then it took until the end of the decade for non-potato transfers to become the norm for the format. Same with OAR presentations. Laserdisc's abilities were more of a turning-into-the-skid approach when it was clear VHS was winning.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Great News! Got a shipping notification for that Invisible Slipcover from Vinegar Syndrome!

Terrible News! Apparently I didn't enter a shipping address!

I sent a ridiculously formal email, asking that my billing address be used, but I've no idea what to expect. They did charge me $6 back when it was ordered, which is very real money, so hopefully that isn't a "joke."

pwn
May 27, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Either you actually did or it's fully a bit because I just got the same notification with no shipping listing included, either.

quote:

Hey pwn,

Thanks for letting us know! Nothing has actually been shipped out to you yet -- we were just fulfilling some orders on the site and it'll send out an automatic email. We'll keep everyone updated soon as to what to expect with the translucent slip!

Thanks,
Evie @ VS

:confuoot:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Christ those cases were terrible

For all the years I gnashed my teeth about Warners and their stubbornness in clinging to Snapper cases, nearly 2 decades since the last Snapper title rolled off the line, I find myself weirdly nostalgic for them.

Related, I don't know what grudge WB had against Amaray cases, but when there 2 discs involved it was a whole new classy ballgame. I still can't part with them despite most having since been upgraded.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Why is everyone talking about Turner Classic Movies 2?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Does anybody ever actually redeem the codes for online copies that come in Blu-ray’s?

I have a good friend who is digital only and I just let her have first go at any codes I get. I've taken to adding them to my own collections if she doesn't want them even though I'm not likely to ever use them. I think I sold one, once

Reminder that Disney's codes can also be used not just for the digital copies, but also for their Disney Movie Insiders (formerly Disney Movie Rewards) program. I've gotten a lot of theatrical posters that way, among other things.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I've successfully redeemed codes long past their dates of expiry so never hurts to try.

Getting a UV code that expired 4 years ago to redeem on another service is :krad:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

OK well if anyone wants them, here are all my Ultraviolet codes

1. Lionsgate, already redeemed 2018.11.24 via Vudu
2. Funimation, invalid, so this one probably expired
3. Flixster, already redeemed, unknown when
4. Ghostbusters 2
5. Wolf of Wall Street, already redeemed today

1 out of 5, that's one more than I started with. Thanks!

pwn
May 27, 2004

The clear cases Criterion and Indicator* use are Scanavo cases, and honestly I wish I could get a few spares. An Indicator title I bought in March came with a busted case but it clearly was not worth trying to return overseas

*limited editions, they use clear cases like Eureka does for their standard editions

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

oh poo poo, I forgot I bought some of them used. That's annoying, I was really hoping someone would end up with They Came Together. More people need to see that movie

I looked it up and was wondering if I had the right movie, until further examination revealed it to be a satire. I feel pretty compelled to find a copy soon, with slipcover of course.

I like that they really committed to the gag of the name being over the wrong person in every piece of marketing. A deep cut.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Couple of Kino titles I'm gonna get this month: Times Square and Flower Drum Song. Also gonna get a couple Gasper Noé titles from Arrow UK: Enter the Void and Lux Aeterna. Gonna have that Nightmare Week Film Festival soon.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Here are some Moviesanywhere codes for anyone who wants them. Some are old and I bought some of these blurays used so the codes might not be good anymore

Wow!

I successfully redeemed these 10 titles:

Black Widow
Us
The Suicide Squad
Marvel Eternals
Parasite
Heat
Psycho
Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood
Monster Hunter

Of those, I am quite looking forward to Us, The Suicide Squad, Heat, and 1917. Us, I had in my cart a few years ago when it came out at BB, but I returned it to the shelf when I realized I would likely watch it once (see also: My copy of Get Out, gathering dust.) I figured I would enjoy it but also that it wouldn't be for repeat viewing. Similar deal with 1917, really wanted to check it out but not convinced I would want to re-watch. Heat I saw many many years ago when it hit VHS and have wanted to revisit it as an adult, and while I own the disappointing Suicide Squad, I couldn't make myself buy The Suicide Squad because meh, but now I get to watch Pete Davidson on a screen, which is more than I've seen on SNL for the past several months :v:

The Marvel films are whatever but hey! Along with the film, I added a few hundred more points to my exhausted DMI coffers, so yay!

I already own Psycho, Parasite, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, though the latter two I'd let my friend redeem the codes so I guess cool now I have them digitally as well. Psycho is the only one I truly feel bad about, my friend redeemed my Alfred Hitchcock Collection code and she would have liked to get Psycho as well, had I known what it was, but alas, them's the breaks. I don't care at all about Monster Hunter. That's movie roulette for ya

With that I can confirm that every code* has been redeemed by someone or another. Thank you for a fun way to kill an hour on a Saturday :thumbsup:

*Except possibly the one starting 7YVE, right side, sixth down, which MA says is invalid? I couldn't get it to work on Paramount, Lionsgate, or MovieSpree (lol). Who knows?? :shrug:

Edit:

TheScott2K posted:

I redeemed a code and it was Spider-Man No Way Home. Neat! Thanks.

After years of "I should," I finally ebayed the Unrated 2-disc Walk Hard Bluray. The unrated cut is vastly superior, IMO. The theatrical version moves way too fast for what kind of movie that is. For whatever reason they don't have it available streaming anywhere, so I'm future-proofed. Physical media stays winning.

The Unbearably long, Self-Indulgent Director's Cut, and yes it is by far the superior version. I too should upgrade my DVD.

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 14, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

The only double bill I ever did was The Founder and La La Land, a very enjoyable night at the flicker show

pwn
May 27, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

anyone that buys last black man twice is a-ok in my book. fav film of that year by a wide margin

e: to stay on topic

what's up with a24 pricing that and midsommar at 50 and then lamb's uhd was 34? i mean, cheaper is better, but..was that a test run or something on the first 2?

and why no hereditary uhd???

I almost blind-bought Midsommar because the package was shore purty but then I saw that you either get UHD or Blu-ray and kind of said nah. For that price you can include both discs my man. I've since relented with a couple of Arrow releases that were UHD-only, but then they were $32 and $25, not $50. One day I'll get a UHD player. Just bought a Sony X700M for my mum this month to replace her dying PS3, and she loves it. Now I can lend her all my Region B/2 discs and obviously this opens up her purchase options going forward (she already has the Fistful of Dollars/For a Few Dollars More UHDs from Kino coming this month, to complement GoodBadUgly she got last year.) Hopefully I can get one for myself after I pay that off, my old region-free Insignia is on its last legs.

Modsimmer's probably not the type of film I'd wanna watch a second time anyway.

Edit: Just a note about 220, if you leave that page open in a tab for a day and occasionally return to it, you may get a $30 coupon, bringing the price down to $279 including free shipping (I didn't get charged sales tax, but YMMV.)

pwn fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 17, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

God I hate Disney.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

No titles previously released by Olive Films, no silents,

Boooo

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Do you guys set new stuff aside until you have time to watch it or just put everything on the shelf as soon as you get it?

Funny you ask, the other day I was thinking a similar thing. Sometimes I get new titles and keep them together on the table or whatever for a week or two, like Turning Red/Singing in the Rain/12 Monkeys/Days of Bagnold Summer I got on the same day early last week. They don't belong together by any metric and will eventually be put on the shelf, but it feels like they're a family for now.

It will be a bit before I do watch them; need a 4k player for 12 Monkeys, and Turning Red will be at least nine months from now. By the end of my Spring Film Festival next weekend, I will have watched 65 films (including Doom House :supaburn: ) since March 27, 54 of which I'd never seen before (and 9 more I had seen before but not on the new Blu-ray.) Only 3 were streamed/downloaded. I will still have a backlog of a couple dozen titles unwatched and doubtless will be more by the time the Fall Film Festival comes around :pwn: Meanwhile Summer means nights by the river, I'm sure I'll see a few films during the coming warm months, but nothing like the past 8 weeks.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ok, I looked and 1. VS still doesn't know what time it is, and 2. I cannot make heads nor tails of this ridiculously convoluted sale, seriously this is more unnecessarily complicated than Fantagraphics' last Fantabucks 2-for-1 sale. I see this poo poo about subscriptions and spending $500 and just no, how the hell do I Buy A Thing. I can buy Tammy and the T-Rex on Amazon for $33, which doesn't require a Dungeon Master's Guide to loving parse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Liar Lyre posted:

You’re making it a lot more complex than it is. Sale starts on Friday at 12:01 am eat, so about 21 hours from now. Currently, the site is closed. When it opens on Friday, you can buy Tammy and the T-Rex and so many more trashy movies for 50% off.

Big important warning tho! After the sale is over this weekend, the site will close again until June 3rd. For the rest of June, you cannot buy any main Vinegar Syndrome titles because of Partners Month. “What is that and why can’t I buy Tammy and the T-Rex then?” you may ask. Vinegar Syndrome gets so many orders during the sale, they take all of June to send them out. The company is like 5 people. It’s tiny. But, there will be 13 brand new titles from the partner labels. Seriously, do not skip on the partners. They have everything from modern horror, foreign weirdness, shot on video trash from the 90s, Legit forgotten gems and so much more.

And the subscription? It’s totally optional and only for idiots that have more money then sense (like me). Vinegar Syndrome will send you every title for the rest of 2022 at half price. You just have to pre-buy all of it now. The only thing you won’t get are partner label titles, VSA titles (they are limited print in special packaging. Most are action films tbh), and VSU titles (UHD titles with very fancy packing. Typically very notable titles like Beastmaster and Cloak & Dagger). However, you can add these to you regular shipment of movies with a 50% off coupon.

Ok that was a lot clearer than that Medium page they wrote up last week, thank you. I will buy Tammy and the T-Rex tomorrow (I don't go in for slasher and horror, suffice to say most of the VS catalogue interests me not.)

Edit: further research shows it to be a gore flick, nevermind

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 26, 2022