Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Conal Cochran posted:

Who is your favorite internet reviewer and how did you discover them.

I've been watching Linkara every week for several months at this point. I discovered him this time because of TV Tropes, because Atop the Forth Wall storyline was under some meta tropes. I'm not really sure why I like it so much - I did read comics, until local comic book stores kept closing until the most local became the one that is an hour drive away. But I like the vibe, I love the storylines, and it's just fun. And, yeah, to quote the movie, I just think everyone should have more fun. :cool:

The BF and I have also been watching "Welcome to the Basement" for years. We used to watch another series that they put out - Beer and Board Games - but dropped that after awhile. The conceit about "Welcome to the Basement" is that one of the guys has bought way more movies than he could ever watch, so they are slowly working though the back catalouge. Some of the movies are great, some of them are terrible, and they could be from any decade from the 1930's to roughly now. Most of the time, they agree on whether the movie was good or not, though very, very occasionally get into a heated debate about it. But it's usually just them being chill, drinking wine, and talking about film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

If you are desprate for on topic, I've been hesitanr to post but: Linkara posted the final part of his 500 episode review of Futures End. Link to first part: https://t.co/RXFcUahDoK?amp=1 And It's full of cameos from quite a few of the people he's worked with.
I haven't been able to see the last part, but the first and second parts were fun!

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah, he and OtherJoe loving got detained in Customs ( he was flying back from Canada ) and thier white friend AJ got waved though and told if he waited for them he'd be detained too. So they missed thier flight.

The next day they also got detained in customs, but only for 15 minutes or something instead of hours and made thier flight.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

business hammocks posted:

In all seriousness, CTW take their commitment to offering clear ideas and lessons to children extremely seriously and probably don’t want Bert and Ernie to be partners because the developmental needs of gay children are completely different from anything broached in the presentation of adults in a relationship (why they didn’t just say this all the way in the first part of their statement I don’t know, unless it was to avoid communicating the possibility of a future gay muppet because of Jenny’s #2).

The autistic muppet and wheelchair muppet are children and represent aspects of those experiences that are part of being a kid, and the incarcerated muppet is notably an occasion to show how a young kid is affected by having a parent in jail. I would actually expect a gay kid muppet or gay parent muppets on the show and would guess they’re not there now partially because pbs fears becoming a target for the right wing, which could actually destroy the show if it had the will.

The biggest changes to Sesame Street have actually been to bring it into line with best practices in child psychology, like the ongoing transition from adult-seeming fantasy characters to clearly identified children the same age as the audience—and more famously, there was the transition of the snuffleupagus (?) from imaginary to real because adults not believing children about their experiences sets patterns that can be exploited by abusers.

Also, Cookie Monster pretty clearly just lets the cookies fall out of his mouth like he’s some kind of deranged cookie sommelier.

Huh, it's like combining the huge emphasis of child psychology in Mr. Rodgers with the orignal concepts of Seseme Street then?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Donoteat's Franklin series and his side series of Power, Poltics, and Planning are both really good. If you have ever wondered why a city is built like it is, this series explains it, and the price of cities in human misery as well.

https://youtu.be/KTfuA2hXi8s is the first in the Frankin series.

He's also a fellow Goon, and I've been following the series as he's been positing it in the Cities: Skyline thread. The game in this mostly fuctions as a model kit for him to build things with while he gives his essay. I would say that's not how the game is played normally, but it's evolved into a sort of nerd bonsai where there is a sizable communtiy of people do basically this, except they start building at the end point instead of building the city as it passes though time.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Speaking of anime, can someone recomend some good anime reviwers? Preferably ones that are more into slower paced stuff like Flying Witch, Holmes of Kyoto, The Anchient Magus Bride ect?

I tried Anime Abandon, and we have very different tastes. More like Mother's Basement?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I wonder if Linkara will keep doing The Star Wars, which is a comic based on the orginal script of A New Hope.

It's more of a curiosity than good or bad. But it's so far from canon that maybe it doesn't count?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

What in the 9 hells do people have against Harry Potter? It's a cultural touchstone that helped people solidify their personal moral philosophy. Of course they are going to find important!

People draw their morals from all sorts of works of art, whether fictional or not. Harry Potter is just one of many, and it's popularity as one is probably more related to the age that the person was exposed so it was probably one of the first works that spoke to them on a fundemental level.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's probably his point in asking why they're all picking harry potter. you grow up and find other poo poo.

Unless you take a serious life evaluation, by the time you grow-up and find other poo poo you probably already have a personal moral philosophy, or at least a foundation of one.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Speaking personally, I find it distasteful because it trivializes real danger and harm through comparison to entertainment, even if the entertainment in question taught the viewer something when they were kids.

I find it easier to compare to popular fictional charecters. Distastful, yes, but since education really hits the highlights, and only maybe gets to WWII if you are luckily, you know who I'm about when I saw Moff Tarkin and Voldemort but not when I bring up General Iwane Matsui or Pol Pot.

And due to the extreme niches that novels have, like Pirate Jenny said, it's easiest to go for the comparision that you know that everyone else would know - the meat of the meaning would be lost if I said something like Muller is like Avhren since most people wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I am going out a limb, but I think maybe the only thing that really changed in culture is instead of allusions to Biblical figures or classical Greek and Roman mythology we have Harry Potter and Star Wars.

I don't think we're poorer for it. It's just new and different.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

:goonsay: *However it's also worth pointing out that the inconsistency ofJet being referenced on on a VaultTec computer, despite Jet not existing until the events of Fallout 2, is present in a different area of the game; you can loot pre-war safes in Fallout 4, yet still find the pipe weapons that raiders use. There is a mod that fixes this, though.

To nitpick the nitpick: Pipe weapons are implied to be pre-war, as the cover "Guns and Bullets" #4 in Fallout 4 is titled "Street Guns of Detriot" with a picture of a pipe pistol on the cover.

But, yeah, there is a difference between "mention of jet" and "this whole quest makes no sense" such as the vanilla Fallout 3 ending, which even Bethesda thought was dumb in retrospect.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Isn't that another power fantasy isekai?

I'm talking about one of those boring slice of life things that goes into exhaustive detail about how this or that fantasy creature's habitat needs to be prepared. Preferably with shots of adorable fantasy animal families with babies. :kimchi:

The Time I was Reincarnated as a Slime is more "what if a isakei hero did not have charisma as a dump stat" and tries to get all of the peoples to get along.

The closest I've seen to what you are looking for was the dragon episodes of Ancient Magus Bride. But I too would love to see that anime made.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

Isn't archive of our own basically fanfiction.net v2?

No. While most of it's front facing is an archive, it's also dedicated to preserving fannish history, archiving old fandom websites so they don't disapear, being a non-profit so they don't need to arbirtatily scrub the site to make it "advertiser friendly" and backed by a set of laywers so we don't return to the bad old days of DMCA takedowns.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

So Linkara got screwed over on his taxes to the tune of owing $11,000. So after making the first payment of $4k, he's running a three day pokemon nuzlocke to firstly, pay his taxes, and anything after the goal of $7600 for that is going to a charity named when he actually hits the goal number.

And it's been almost hour and he's already hit $1000. So I think he's gonna hit it, and the charity mark. = D

https://youtu.be/Mvj_eEXY9D4

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Hey, Lewis exceeded the amount of money he needed for his taxes! And thus everything else donated today or tomorrow is going to a Trans charity. He still hasn't picked the exact one as of this morning tho. But I trust him not to pick a bad one.

https://youtu.be/XX_iFQnXvZU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Besides second hand embarrassment - which I get, I have the same reaction to the vast majority of slapstick - what is the problem with skits or more theatrical framing?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

To sum up the thread's opinion - skits in of themsevles are not bad, they are just hard to do well?

I admit to bias - I adore the theatrical framing of Contrapoints and Philosophy Tube because playing with the visuals makes it seem like there is a reason that they are a video instead of a podcast. Besides the wonderful invention of closed captions making it more acessible.

( And I really like skits, just in general but especially Linkara's and was wondering the whys behind it. Thank you all for your thoughtful answers ! )

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Brad said poo poo way, way before that in mid April in a youtube comment thread, but he deleted it. I was hoping he'd change his mind, but he just stayed the course.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

What do you think will happen with Dice, Camera, Action?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I'm not sure if he's exactly what kind of video game content you are looking for, but Angry Joe fits your criteria. They just started doing a video game news segment which I quite like.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Best way to end this show that I haven't seen but can't escape the reaction to it: show ends normally however it may end, then it pulls out from the scene and keeps going until the entire world is in view then keeps going until it's a spec in space and keeps going until space turns into an eye and keeps going until we see the face the eye belongs to: It's George R.R. Martin. It's him reading his latest draft. He shakes his head, crumples it up, throws it in the trash, turns to his 30 year old computer and begins typing.

~FIN~

I really do like this ending.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Hard same. I am now constantly paranoid that the content creators I am really like are going to be monsters.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

It seems like there was more correct identifications than false positives?

EDIT: I mean, it's still bad, but... less bad than I was thinking?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

The first part of the "A Voice From the Dark" crossover audio-drama is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfGlCntLGnE

It's not bad :shrug: I'm at least intrigued enough to see where it's going.

I liked it. I liked it even more with the little light-up cameos because there is so many people to keep track of I would have gotten lost with audio only.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

so do american movie goers just not shut up at movies?

In theaters it's usually only reactions - laugher at funny parts, maybe a scream at a scary part.

But cons are Special Circumstances, which really just feel like watching it with a hundred of your friends, and talking back to the movie is pretty popular at home.

I mean, there is a whole series called MST3K and Rifftrax that is just make fun of movies - and MST3K did Hamlet, so they don't even have to be bad ones, though it gives more material.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Pirate Jenny posted something about Boogie being Boogie at Vidcon. Kiwifarms trolls of Boogie capped it, and it spread to Boogie trolls on Reddit. People started emailing Jenny about it, thus Pirate Jenny left SA.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I read a Twitter thread of somebody watching it live, and it's very much a ham-fisted response to CTC and his detractors. And as they point out since Doug is in it that's the closest you'll ever get to him addressing the issue again.

When Another Snob Movie was is the funding stages, before CTC happened, it was billed as a roadtrip movie with strong horror elements. I was considering chipping in enough to get a copy but horror isn't really my bag so I skipped it.

So, yeah, it sucks that he couldn't even deliver the movie he promised his backers too. In addition to being an all-around jerkface.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

poo poo like that is why i never got into anime. like not even counting all the hosed up poo poo thats been dissected in interesting ways in this thread. but also just everything is transformer woman/girl/child thing. also the panzer girl stuff. its like my mind just doesn't compute anime.

At one level it's always gonna just be Weird because it's a whole different culture - but it's all not transformer stuff? My favorite anime is Flying Witch which is basically if the 90's "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" was in the Japanese countryside.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I would not even class "Fireforce" as a firefighting show. I was kinda bummed about it too.

But I'm still watching it, becaise I thought was neat on it's on merits - especially the worldbuilding with the "fireforce" being a meld of firefighters, busniess, the army, and the settings church.

And I also have all of Emergency! if I need actual firefighter/paramedic action - covering current day topics like "vacvinate your drat kids" and "don't be racist assholes to your co-workers".

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I was trying to find a review of Star Wars lightsaber battles by sword and fencing nerds - and I did find this one by Buzzfeed Multiplayer of an Swordsman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrdKZEKEidQ - but dude, they have official "Saber Laser" in their fencing league in France. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VQIr6NtJUw!

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

FoldableHuman posted:

Good documentary lost to exemplary library science in the field of preserving a vast collection of outsider and amateur art.

Like, drat, I've moved in fanfic circles for about 20 years but not thought of it as "outsider art".

And I have to chime in on the AO3 love, especially their in house legal team.

EDIT:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am sure there is some great fanfictions and some genuinly artistic stuff there. but i know my girlfriend has had a really rough time with folks in variou fan fiction communitie but that might just be facebook.

That sucks. It might be partially facebook because "people willing to sign their IRL name to work" is def. smaller than the whole fandom so there might be some particularities going on, but anything big or halfway active is gonna be difficult.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 22, 2019

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Metastasized corporate culture children cartoon but it has death and sex in it, as interpreted by 14 year old. *the wallet of every person in the room flies out like its magnetized*

...You do realize that people write this for free, right? I'm not saying that writing fanfiction is some radical anti-captialist act, but pal, it's free consumption of art that by function can't be monitized. Barring some interesting things going on with people having tip jars up on their tumblr for their fanfic, ( and maybe patreon? ) - which the biggest, best archive won't let you advertise that you have such things.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Bakeneko posted:

Speaking personally, my ambition is to get a book published, but I’ve always been horrified by the thought of someone else writing in my world or with my characters. It’s like having someone break into your house and kick over all your furniture, especially if they add smut to something that didn’t have it originally. I suspect a lot of writers feel the same way, even if most of them don't want to say it outright in case they piss off fans and lose sales.

Speaking your story into the world makes your story exist inside other people besides yourself. So people are going to change the metaphorical carpret by just reading it and imaging what the charecters look like, let alone more radical interpretations of things.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

So what does Archive of Our Own do better than other fanfic sites?

As mentioned, the tagging system. Allows the importation of older fic archives instead of those stories being lost forever when the archive closes, which is usually server fees. Legal defence fund. A fannish next of kin system so if you die you can still give permission for podfic or, hell, just a note saying your WIP isn't going to be finished. A wiki for fanlore incase you want to know the history of slash. A peer reviewed academic journal. And other stuff I might have missed.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

We did manage to get a dig at Cassandra Clare though! Though it wasn't about her history of plagerisim.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Oh good, it's pretention time again.

Edit: I don't mean Kat Blaque, but "no skits, no charecters, only monologues"

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Death of the Author + Instantaneous Communication with More People than You Can Comprhend As Individual People = Dear Gods and Algorithms Why

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

TLJ bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Not entirely samey mash, since a few things made has given the internet a collective case of angries - TLJ for instance.

Though I'm not sure if it's a super new problem? The hell conglomeration, yes, but we have not reached peak sameness like with cowboy movies with over 200 pictures of cowboy movies per year.

EDIT: I agree that "copyright law" is the big evil that Disney is pushing outside lovely labor practices.