Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Don't forget the ongoing Banking Royal Commission, which is doing a great job and claiming heads of neoliberal fuckos left and right :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

thatfatkid posted:

Fat people aren't really people.

*poofs out of existence*

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"Oh those honourable landlords, providing rental properties to our young people, they're true heroes of our econo- wait they're flogging them off for weekends for even more money? gently caress those arseholes."

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Starshark posted:

So Alan Jones is being sued for a record-breaking 4.8 million and there's a fairly good chance he's going to have to pay out (even if it isn't 4.8 million). But gently caress that, look what this dork turns up to court wearing. He must've irritated his stylist.

Sued by who? And what for?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Laming is a oval office.

Yo leave out the c word

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Before Times posted:

Defamation, he implied (well, not just implied but flat-out claimed) that some family business/businessman in Qld was responsible for the deaths of a few people in the 2011 floods.

This is awesome - especially since the Rebel Wilson case has lead to Alan Jones getting hosed harder (they raised the amount per plaintiff)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

My sister-in-law got to meet Eddie Betts yesterday so clearly being a teacher is all worth it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sally McManus continues to own

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Teachers need to hang on to their rights with both hands if not more. When right-wing shitstains are in charge they're a favourite target.

I don't know how to communicate to the world how much work a teacher does without knowing or being a teacher. They should straight up do a "My Teacher Rules" show or something like that to show the long hours and stresses that teachers go through.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Konomex posted:

A nice touch of realism in an otherwise unbelievable universe that stretches the suspension of disbelief, really grounds you back in reality.

How does this make sense? He was on it for a week and by the end of that week he was $80 in debt, but he only wants it increased by $70?

1. I'd assume that $80 would apply directly to his own living situation
2. It's government, you gotta negotiate everything. I'd love it if he went high (i.e. double) so they could haggle it downward and still come out ahead, but :shrug:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

froglet posted:

Something I don't get - what if you live in a really expensive area? Are you SOL and get the same amount as people living in the middle of nowhere?

Wouldn't that come under rent assistance, which is separate from the basic Newstart payment?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

its a fucken circle

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

I agree, increase company tax rates

Tim Wilson on Q&A last night "If you raise Newstart, the money has to come from somewhere" I loving wonder where we could stand to raise taxes you fucken muppet :thunk:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Spudd posted:

I don't understand this loving word salad, what. I feel like now has been a vanbad time to try and understand vanbad again.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Reclines Obesily posted:

former libs are just making GBS threads over the current ones from all angles, whats the deal

They've realised raising NewStart means more money gets spent by the poors (since they need to spend 100% of what they earn to y'know... survive) and as far as I know they all hate Turnbull since he's not as far right as they'd like

Costello is just a loving idiot who people think are smart since he had the mining boom under him. Much like ScoMo last night, they had nothing to do with the increased revenue and instead global commodity markets made it possible.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jesus Christ if all this citizenship buffoonery leads the Libs to strengthening their majority rather than losing it than gently caress this planet into the sun

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bell jar posted:

calling a 20 year old a kid hitting hard for you? is this a rabbit hole we want to go down :eyepop:

He said "20-year-old pimply kids who just don't want to work" which is utter bullshit and might as well be the Libs party line.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

The subtext is that he is old. You'd think after yesterday where young and old workers acted together to try and benefit everyone across all industries you people might make a leap to try and get over this kind of "they called me kid :qq:" horseshit

Under 40 and homeless? Clearly just doesn't want to work! Better belittle them and imply that they're practically still teenagers/children

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also, may I just chime in here and say age based wages are the greatest load of bullshit ever. If a job is worth doing it's worth paying a 13 year old the same as a 20 year old, don't entrench child labour by paying them less and making it more enticing for companies to hire year 8s and turf them before graduation.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

My name is Billy Buck and I like to <appropriate a stereotype of young people>

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Before Times posted:

Tell them that pink = girls and blue = boys was invented in nazi germany

Why do I have the sinking feeling that this wouldn't be the deterrent you're imagining

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Not sure if this should be surprising or not but MrsMachineGun watched ten news last night - no mention of coppers running people over.

Open IE this morning (GPO means we can't change the homepage) and the MSN news scroller didn't have any mention of it either :thunk:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Yes, I too think it absurd that police should be required to have a reason to do anything

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:laffo:

I'm sure I've posted this before, but during the ABC Rudd/Gillard doco they talked to a guy who was a "right-wing union leader" and it was just... guh?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

norp posted:

So he was from the SDA?

They didn't say which

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Does the photoshopper believe that Alan Jones was so angry that he was physically expanding?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Daytime TV and what these right-wing poo poo heels on shows like Outsiders are delivering gave me an interesting thought on the weekend.

Their target audience are olds. People who rarely go out on the town and who definitely wouldn't be world hopping to see that no, the nightlife in Melbourne actually isn't rife with African gangs and Paris is certainly not being overtaken by Muslims.

But now they're picking up young people. Specifically young always online shut-ins who don't go out at night to see what the world really looks like and an international trip is out of the question.

So while younger generations are more "woke" than ever and people are wondering how there can be a neo-nazi/alt-right surge in young men it turns out the answer is quite simple.

Fuckers need to go outside.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

gently caress me I wish I could become a celebrity with a radio job just by being permanently angry and bad at maths

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"This frightens me"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I just like how it leaves a voicemail. I've kept my weird robotic Chinese friend voicemail for when I'm feeling lonely.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

froglet posted:

I feel like some industries actually need to outsource all their payroll elsewhere. Clearly they can't be trusted.

They can't be trusted because they don't want to pay people fairly. You think they'll willingly pay someone else to do it so they can no longer shaft their staff to line their own pockets?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

I have no idea what is going on here

From Wiki:

quote:

Group Captain Catherine "Cate" McGregor AM is a transgender woman, who served as a member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF). She has also worked as a cricket commentator.

Essentially Latham and his cronies are intimating that her ADF service wasn't what she said it was (can you guess why?). Cate tells them to gently caress off in multiple somewhat garbled messages and then blocks them.

Good on her, I say.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Birdstrike posted:

her Fairfax columns are incoherent centre-right drivel but gently caress those other shiteaters forever

I honestly only know her in context of her cricket coverage on the ABC

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Dude McAwesome posted:

tbh bragging about timor as war service and BEING IN THE poo poo is incredibly loving lame, more so as she was air force?

Yeah but gently caress Latham

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

asio posted:

Manus/Nauru are only the latest additions to the shitlist the UN has on us.

Woah, the UN, look out guys, the UN's comin' to get us!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Pauline Hanson.... Smart?

Must have gotten a new puppeteer

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I do like it when Penny Wong fires up. Suck poo poo Cormann

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Why ask politicians if a Federal ICAC is required?

Why ask priests if a Royal Commission into sexual abuse is required?

Why ask mobsters if effective policing is required?

Why ask banks if stronger protections are required?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It's okay, Tony Abbott is here to bring sense and decorum to this argument:

quote:

Tony Abbott has taken a swipe at Lucy Turnbull after the prime minister's wife claimed Sydney was 'far from full' and could take more immigrants.

Abbott, who has a strained relationship with his successor Malcolm Turnbull, said he 'respectfully disagreed' with Mrs Turnbull's views.

'We're full and frankly we're fed up with not being given the infrastructure that even the existing population densities deserve, let alone the greater population densities that some people want us to have,' Abbott told Ben Fordham's Sydney Live.

The Liberal MP added that he believes 'cramming more people into Sydney' has a negative impact on people's quality of life, given that a growing population could also put a strain on services and city infrastructure.

It comes after One Nation leader Pauline Hanson slammed Mrs Turnbull's comments.

Speaking in a television interview on Tuesday night, Ms Hanson said the prime minister's wife had a standard of living and way of life many Australians don't.

Ms Hanson said Mrs Turnbull, head of the Greater Sydney Commission, was out of touch and unable to judge whether the city can accept more immigrants.

'I don't think she's in a position to say whether Sydney is full or not full,' Ms Hanson told Alan Jones on Sky News.

'For Lucy to say 'Oh, Sydney can take more people' you might have your standard of living Lucy ... she's got her way of life, many many Australians don't have that.'

Ms Hanson, who sensationally withdrew her support for the government's corporate tax plan earlier this week, said people were 'screaming' for immigration to be halted.

Mrs Turnbull, the former Lord Mayor of Sydney from 2003 to 2004, told The Daily Telegraph on Tuesday that the city was far from full, while discussing the commission's recommendations.

Social media users backed Ms Hanson's comments, bringing up Mrs Turnbull's multi-million dollar mansion in exclusive Sydney suburb of Point Piper.

'Lucy needs to venture out of that harbourside abode of hers and see what's happening in the real world,' said one Twitter user.

'Point Piper's not full. Plenty of room for a refugee camp,' said another.

Callers to talkback radio agreed, flooding an open line to slam Mrs Turnbull's comments on 2GB.

'With all due respect Mrs Turnbull, it mightn't be full at Point Piper, but come to south-west and western Sydney and you'll see it's more than full,' said one caller.

'But let me tell you, and it's an open invitation to you Lucy, I'll chauffeur you around.'

'I'll show you the explosion of many high-rise apartments, particularly in my area in north-western Sydney, which are unwanted,' said another.

Mr and Mrs Turnbull bought one harbourside property for $5.4million in 1994, and purchased a neighbouring home for $7.1million five years later.

They used the second purchase to expand the waterfrontage of the first property - now estimated to be worth tens of millions - and sold the rest for $13million.

Mr Turnbull's net worth was estimated to be more than $200million in 2015.

Man, can't have a former mayor and person actually living in Sydney tell us what's going on, we need a Queenslander and "social media" (all of it? wow!) to tell us what's really up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

AbortRetryFail posted:

I would be surprised if Tony Abbott could actually tell you a true fact about anything that is happening anywhere in the universe.

"Hey Tony is the sky blue?"

*starts nodding and shaking uncontrollably*

• Locked thread