Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Isn't trump telling companies to fire people for what they say an actual first amendment issue?

Yes and also a violation of 18 U.S. Code § 227. The enforcement body, in the case of the president committing these offense is congress, so :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

No. The first amendment doesn’t apply here.

It does, actually, but it doesn't matter because Congress is the one who would actually have to do something about it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dance Officer posted:

https://openargs.com/oa178-trump-and-the-nfl/

This deals with the issue, and IIRC the 1st amendment issue does not apply, but I forgot why.

The first amendment can (and does) apply because the NFL is a quasi-public institution based on the amount of federal funding they receive in the form of tax benefits, monopoly protection, and statutory exemptions. This argument has not been specifically tested in court, but there's legal backing to support the concept. This is mainly that the NFL may not be able to restrict players speech on 1a grounds.

As far as Trump goes, he's violated 18 U.S. Code § 227 in a very cut and dry manner. It's via this violation that you could argue a 1a claim against him because his illegal act is directly impacting free speech by limiting employment opportunities.

I'm definitely not listening to an hour podcast, though. I'd be interested in reading a transcript but I personally don't like to listen to podcasts at all.,

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dance Officer posted:

The episode also deals with this issue, and no, the NFL would not be a quasi-public institution just because it receives funding from the gov't. What makes a quasi-public institution or not has been tested in court and according to the episode, getting federal funding would not make it quasi-public according to case law. So the 1st amendment doesn't apply.

As for listening in, the NFL bit starts at 26 mins or so.

It's not just because it receives government funding. The NFL (along with MLB) have specific anti-trust exemptions and other statutory protections that go far beyond just funding. It hasn't been tested, but it isn't a closed door because one podcast that doesn't talk about the full issue says it is. I could link other lawyers writing the opposite. This goes simply to the NFL rule prohibiting protests could potentially run afoul of the 1a, but this has nothing to do with Trump.

18 U.S. Code § 227 is the more pertinent issue at hand, though, vs the quasi-public aspect. This is the statute that Trump violated by calling owners and threatening them to change policy. This is the avenue via which someone would have a 1a claim against Trump. Trump has forced the NFL owners to make employment decisions that infringe upon the 1a guarantee to freedom of speech.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Friend’s phone just got an npr notification that the dprk summit is back on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nice!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

loving :lol: Un knows our president inside and out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommieGIR posted:

Except for the natural gas itself, which is a bigger greenhouse gas than CO2. Its still part of the problem.

It's a pretty ingenious concept. They actually use the carbon dioxide exhaust as the means of driving the power turbine. I was skeptical at first, but once I got down to the explanation of how it works yeah this is loving revolutionary.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 2, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommieGIR posted:

It is, and its an awesome design. But the issue is most of the natural gas fields leak like a sieve, and even more now that funding has been cut for NASA/EPA monitoring of those gasses.

the concept isn't limited to natural gas, though, even though that's how it is currently used.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Trump's legal team sent a 20 page memo to Mueller earlier this year outlining the president's defense against any obstruction charges. The tl:dr; is they focused on the wrong obstruction statute, basically concede that he's obstructing justice, and then try to say the president cannot by definition obstruct justice. Their legal authorities include

footnote 23 posted:

courts have explained it this way
and talk show citations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's full of hail mary attempts and brazen slight of hand because there really is zero defense for any of his actions.

However congress is the only authority that can actually act. This means 51% of the house has to vote to impeach and 2/3 of the senate with John Roberts presiding as judge has to vote to convict. So nothing matters and he's going to continue to get away with it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Very possible and pretty likely that it wouldn’t get reported on because beating your wife wasn’t much of a crime in the 60s and 70s. Women’s rights have come a long way in the past 50 years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Melthir posted:

Its gone

Because he misspelled counsel.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jacob Wohl is not a relevant person. Please don't give the manbaby begging trump for a pardon for his various crimes any attention or additional twitter impressions. He is not noteworthy or newsworthy. There is no need to ever post a Jacob Wohl tweet in the CE thread.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

yeah, he's an idiot posting idiot things. Nothing he's ever done or said is newsworthy. He's as bad or worse than Bill Mitchell, adds absolutely nothing to the conversation, and isn't remotely impactful about anything. I already cannot scroll past those types fast enough when I'm browsing C-Spam. If we want a chud twitter thread where we post all those types all the time, I mean lets start the thread. I just don't think we should give them the time of day here unless they're actually relevant towards a current event.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Iron Rose posted:

What a dishonest, and, honestly, kinda misogynist caption

The UN votes a resolution against Israel, what a shocker! Her pro-Israel draft resolution was defeated soundly. Making it personal by saying Haley is begging for support, she's been isolated and humiliated... that reads like gendered insults to me.

They were pointless insults, but regardless of that our UN ambassador just had to veto a resolution because no one would vote for ours. We literally have the rest of the world against us. I would say that the begging and humiliation aspects were accurate reporting, and although harsh, were gender neutral. A male diplomat doing and saying the exact same things would have been seen in the same light.

But seriously, the rest of the world is against us. This is not good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

if mitchell or wohl were slightly interesting or provided anything to the conversation other than just "what are morons thinking out loud" then I'd welcome them with open arms.

I just don't see the need to give grifters any more attention than they deserve.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommieGIR posted:

Saw a article saying Trump is trying to use the GOP tax law to financially punish teams to have kneelers.

Tried. It was last year he told staff to specifically look into how to change tax law to punish the NFL.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tomi Lahren is an actual person that goes on TV. Jacob Wohl is just some dude that subtweets trump begging for a pardon and bill mitchell is an idiot who just tweets a lot. If they were regulars on fox n friends it would be a different story.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Apparently Putin said on state news june 7th that Trump needed to keep his campaign promises to Russia. On the 8th he dropped the whole blame obama for crimea but who cares Russia should be back in the table completely to the surprise of his staff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That Works posted:

I lived through too much of the cold war to wrap my brain around a sitting president joking about a Senator of his own party for being a loser for being captured as a POW, refusing to enforce sanctions on Russia that his own party-controlled congress approved and then have the current conspiracy be 'Democrats are trying to ruin the country'.

Edit: and the whole 'every 3 letter agency has at this point mentioned that the Russians willfully interfered with our election in some way' and the current leadership has done absolutely nothing to try to prevent it from happening again for 2 years.

Like, this should be loving '7 Days in May' territory.

It's because our executive branch and a non-trivial amount of our legislative branch have been compromised by a hostile foreign government but no one cares because everyone's pockets are getting deeper in the meantime.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange juche posted:

The fact that she lost the election still loving mystifies me. Like she wiped the loving floor with him in every loving debate. :psyboom:

The anti-clinton media campaign over the past 30-40 years has been extremely effective at making her toxic to more than half the population regardless of it's merit. If she was anyone else, then it would have been a landslide loss for trump.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

i don't want this to degenerate into another clinton debate, i just wanted to point out that she absolutely loving nailed it with what she said there. like a million percent spot on.

also i can't stop giggling at the way he puts one hand down and immediately throws up the other

I agree with you. I was just saying that if literally anyone else, like say liz warren, had been running in her place but had ran the exact same campaign they would have won handily against Trump. I don't think that very many people will dispute this. The Hillary Clinton brand is just absolutely too loving toxic towards half the population that there's no convincing them otherwise.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Impeachment may happen, but conviction in the senate is unlikely. The senate is not impossible to flip, but for all practical purposes it will not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eh they had treasure ships but they weren’t 400’ as there weren’t wooden ships anywhere close to that size until the 1800s and those were steel reinforced. If they did have anything over 200’ they didn’t ever take it out of the rivers because the open ocean would have wrecked them. The engineering skills of humans just weren’t capable of ships of the purported magnitude and the ships supposedly over 400 feet are myth more than history.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So is the Worm in Singapore to introduce his two friends, or is he off leading a funeral for roadkill or whatever?

Although, if future children have to learn about one crossdressing Trump administration affiliate, I'd rather it be Rodman than Giuliani.

Rodman is in Singapore unrelated to the summit to launch an ICO called potcoin, but will probably be involved in the summit anyways because :lol: why not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

He’s there for the summit unless he’s stupid enough to start a drug ICO somewhere with the death penalty for possession.

I misunderstood. Potcoin is sponsoring his travel :lol:

https://twitter.com/dennisrodman/status/1005094659427880960

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SCOTUS just came down and upheld Ohio's removal of voting registration for people who didn't vote. This is blatant contradiction of the NVRA passed in 1993. SCOTUS just made it markedly easier for states to disenfranchise voters.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BUG JUG posted:

So you have to vote once in four years, or fill out a card saying you're still in the place you are registered in, or update your status online (still within that four year window). What am I missing here about disfranchisement?

Like almost every single thing used to remove someone from voting rolls or prevent someone from voting, there are plausible sounding options so that moderate white people will just say "sounds good enough" without exposing the real purpose and intent.

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: Not to bring up a slippery slope argument, but it was used to purge active voters in minority districts.

What, you honestly thought they were just doing it by the book and not using it as an underhanded tactic to weaken opposing districts? Silly man.

This is was the voter roll purge is about. There is no fraud nor is it illegal to be on voting rolls in multiple places. It's only illegal if you try to vote in multiple. This happens at a frequency of 1-2 people per election or so in the entire country. There are a lot of times people have to vote on provisional ballots or mail in ballots and whoops the guy checking the records didn't look at those types of ballots so suddenly you didn't vote for 4 years and we had to have sent the card because it's automatic so delete.

Every single voting integrity law passed at the state level is a thin veneer over an attempt to keep the wrong people from voting. This is the exact same type of poo poo they used during Jim Crow, and it's the reason the VRA and NVRA were passed in the 60s and 90s.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Take voter ID laws, for example. They're done entirely to prevent less affluent people from voting because getting appropriate ID is a disproportionate burden to them. To your average white person, going to the DMV to get a free ID doesn't sound like a real problem. However, states then do things to surreptitiously restrict access to those free IDs like various southern states closing DMV offices in all of the majority black areas of the state for "budgetary" reasons.

Actual voting fraud in the USA is so infrequent that it could be effectively called non-existant. Further, the group bitching about voting fraud (conservatives) are the most frequent group to commit said fraud.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FrozenVent posted:

I’m on mobile so I don’t have the link handy, but some German market intelligence firm took appart some Model 3s, and they figure they cost about 28k to build.

They retail for 35k. I don’t know what kind of overhead and distribution costs Tesla has, but um... that’s not a great ratio.

They would cost 28k to make on a properly tooled assembly line being built by experienced and familiar auto workers.

Tesla is reinventing every single wheel they come across so they can get nowhere near that 28k/per.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tesla could have been a really nifty concept and maybe made some really great cars one day if the son of apartheid emerald baron hadn't bought them and ran them into the ground.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Karl Marx posted:

But flame throwers!

You mean cheap little propane roofing torches with extra plastic? Cause those things musk is trying to sell as "flame throwers" aren't.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mlmp08 posted:

No, Musk has made it very clear that they are NOT flame throwers and are legally distinct from flamethrowers for liability and shipping purposes. Any resemblance to a flame thrower is in your head, man.

They don't resemble one at all. They're the equivalent of a roofing torch which is not a flamethrower at all.

This is a flamethrower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPQYK5ZMbWY

If you notice it throws flame a long drat ways. The boring company's flame thrower is just a handheld roofing torch. It has a 3-6' flame at max. Proper flame throwers are throwing poo poo 30 feet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Third World Reggin posted:

No need to defend musk and his thing that throws flames

:lol: this was a good troll.

I'm shocked!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bengy81 posted:

Supposedly there is an unknown Aussie dude that has somewhere between 60k and 90k bitcoins, at its peak, he was estimated to be “worth”over a billion $$$$.

I’m guessing we find out who he is soon if the coins keep crashing, since my guess is that you probably throw yourself out a window when it drops under 6000.

No, some aussie scammer claimed to be satoshi nakamoto so he could scam some more money. The dude that created bitcoin trashed all his poo poo when the feds started poking around.

Also mtgox hasn’t been an exchange for years, but the inflated price means that it’s bankruptcy is pretty much done and the owner is walking away with a fat stack of cash.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Have you guys seen the Oct 5 2016 email from Comey to Brennan and Clapper discussing the ongoing russian meddling in the election and the choice to not bring it up because they didn't think it would matter and americans generally knew the russians were doing it?

https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/1007344456545251328

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Both Wisconsin and Maryland gerrmandering cases hit today.

Maryland was where republicans sued because they felt they were subject to retaliatory gerrymandering. The posture of the case was the district court denied them a preliminary injunction that would invalidate the maps for the 2018 election because there was the supreme court case in Gill pending that would provide guidance on how to rule. SCOTUS via per curiam order said "that's a good and valid reason" and the case is punted back down to the district court.

Wisconsin case was also punted on standing because the plaintiffs didn't actually live in gerrymandered districts. Kagan laid out in a concurring opinion how to demonstrate standing.

Both cases unanimous and both punts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bill O'Reilly just came out and even said the Trump admin cannot win on this, innocent children are suffering, and they need to change course immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

The Supreme Court punted the gerrymandering cases. Not completely dismissed, but completely punted them.

Will likely be a few more years until a Supreme Court decision gets made on that topic.

And like I posted earlier, both punts were unanimous and technically correct. They will be back before the court before the 2020 election, but the gerrymanders in Wisconsin and Maryland both remain for this year.

• Locked thread