Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I got gibbed by an investigator but (basic investigator mechanics) never generated notoriety because I was being boring early game and didn't see any cards popping into his magnet (although I wasn't looking closely).

Do I just need to watch closer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ham Sandwiches posted:

A tip for playing the police officer

It seems like you're meant to go Observe witness -> Get tentative evidence -> Get Damning Evidence -> Lock them up. When you do, you won't have a target for the job action anymore, and it doesn't seem like you get a new one. I didn't figure out how to get a new troublemaker to investigate.

What you can do though, is just keep observing the first person you get. You can keep gathering the tentative evidence over and over again, I never hit a limit, and you get 2-3 funds each time you do it, depending on how much reason you use.

I discovered this and it's great

like, not mechanically ideal compared to other professions, but conceptually hilarious

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

You can probably also use Grail for it which would be nice because so far I have no loving idea what Grail is for

I enjoy the concept of Grail and my currently running cult is grail-focused.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Lol so is mine even though I don’t know what it does, but don’t ruin it for me, it’ll probably be fun to figure it out.

I picked it because it sounded like the most "this will go wrong in hilarious ways" of the lores, which is saying something

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'm behind this thread, I think, but I let out an actual real-world diabolical giggle when I realized that the Stag Gate provides an infinite supply of basically-safe midgame Knock influence.

Go forth and conquer, my ghost buddies / gloopy grail whatsits / dudes made out of drumbeats

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tehan posted:

Deep lore speculation:

So the Forge of Days split the sun into two: the sun of the mundane world, and the Glory, the sun in the dream-world? I guess that's the reason for the name, 'Forge of Days', because before the division, there were no nights to divide the days.

I suspect that this division is what allowed for the creation of the Hours, though I've got nothing but a hunch based on the talk of Winter having a doomed romance with the sun - if the splitting of the sun is what allowed for Winter's ascension, that would be rather fitting. It would make Forge and Winter the eldest of the Hours, even older than Wheel and Flint and Tide.

It almost feels like Moth has a closer link to night than Winter does.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ascension process spoiler for massive quality of life improvement: feeding reason to the periodic event doesn't consume reason, it just exhausts it, which should be utterly trivial at that point

I actually get annoyed when I eat a prisoner, because they'd be better used for the Spider Door

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

pretty sure that no reasonable scholar would object to your translation

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

Still earlyish in the game, died a couple of times. Is there anything different between the cults other than what they use to upgrade? I know the history cult is kind of crappy from what I've heard. I've got no follower past disciple so I don't know if they get different later or something.

You can only get lv3 disciples of your cult type.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tehan posted:

Apparently the Detective's starting adversary can always be exalted, should you manage to recruit them into your cult.

Holy poo poo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So those are the only ways to end a game, barring death/insanity/arrest/mundanity?

unless the hidden achievement is currently implemented, yes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tehan posted:

'Colossal News'

Colossal Order is the company that makes Cities: Skylines. The possibilities range from 'Horizon Signal for Cities: Skylines' all the way to 'eldritch Lovecraftian citybuilder' and they're all magical.

:stare:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Verviticus posted:

is there another practical way to earn a living other than painting and glover and glover? i know you can do commissions and sell that stuff, but thats not really useful early game

hard labor would let you keep your head above water, I guess

45-second run, generates 1g at a time (for 2.66 per time tick), exhausts health, generates vitality

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

I saw a little interview with the creators and they said the game surpassed sales expectations and they will be putting out extra DLC accordingly. They expected to sell 30k in a year and instead they sold 40k in two weeks.

grail be praised

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sandweed posted:

I wasted hours trying to get to 36 heart for a power victory before realizing it wanted forge.

back up the save file, it'll be handy for a Life victory

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

They also posted this :3:

This is fantastic and I guess I have to play a Knock cult next.

mechanically suboptimal though they may be

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I finished up my long-fallow Grail Ascension before the patch and now I'm tempted to start another game but I suspect it'll cause me to burn out before / during the content patch run. :negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Glagha posted:

I'm constantly sad that I don't see fanart of this game. There's like, two things I've seen ever.

There's some stuff but if I felt like messing with images I'd be updating my Six Ages thread.

(actually there's a proper ongoing vote)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

you cant just SHOW fanart for this game, you'll get investigators! !

Pff, it'll just generate mystique.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Speedball posted:

It's because there are now achievements for ascending alongside your lover. Interesting.

Crime Of The Sky incoming. :ohdear:

also the grail dual-ascension text is particularly... interesting, and possibly not a typo

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I lost track of the date and thought today was Dancer Day. :negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

megane posted:

I don't get why there's a limited supply of pawns. Would having 40 disposable losers in your cult break the game somehow?

They're a little too easy to turn into sacrifices, I guess?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

The problem with pawns is that hirelings basically fill their uses early game, and by mid-game any advantages a promoted pawn could give is easily covered by a summon. About the only real use I have for them is having them take a bullet from the suppression bureau or that one chick (and maybe some rites?). Which makes sense to have them be a limited supply for those cases - giving you ablative members that you don't mind shedding before actually useful cult members. I guess I'd like if they had some sort of role outside of that though since those cases don't come up that often at all for me.

I've eaten a couple for ascensions / fed them to the Spider Door when my good expeditions dried up and I didn't have a mirror yet.

Admittedly, it only takes a little more time and a coin to eat a hireling, but still.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like it comes out at noon CST?

I was hoping for midnight EST, but that might not be healthy for me. :v:

Also for some reason I was thinking the ascensions were Heart and Winter. Obviously I'll be doing both, but Moth Exalts are probably superior in expedition terms. There'll always be a chance of failure for 10-power dudes to fail at destroying evidence, right? So you really, really don't want to send your precious Exalts there? That would make Heart more useful for cult business because mulching notoriety is always handy, even if it's perfectly safe.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 16, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Also the Moth both protects and finds secrets, the latter of which is obviously appealing to every Simulated Cultist.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

It's noon, people, hit the drat button :argh:

oh, I was off by an hour, oh well

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 16, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

looks like they changed stat skillups

edit: hello weary detective, thank you for showing up first

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 16, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

So is the dancer job a background, or just something you have to find?

You can find it, although it's also a background sometimes.

You need a particular patron who can introduce you to the manager of the Ecdysis Club.

I've started dancing and it owns.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Kinda-sorta. You’re still using Glimmerings etc in the same quantities but now you have to process them into slightly-more-durable Lessons. Makes upgrading more time consuming and heavier on the study verb but maybe slightly easier to get to higher levels?

There's also a stat cap now, and poetry/essays are garbage that you should use for the "Something Else" upgrade level to save some time

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 16, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

How do I get the Moth ascension card? With the original 3 you just put Reason/Passion/Funds while dreaming of your ascension, so what do you use for this?

Meet the new patron in the Ecdysis Club, after getting her the normal patrons way, and talk to her about your temptation.

I'm, uh, unsure how to start Heart.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 16, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Does the latest Perpetual Edition installer include The Dancer, or is that installed separately?

I've got Perpetual and it auto-updated for me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

okay i am not stoked about the 10% failure chance thing

rip tristan, eaten by the Worms in the World

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Bramble posted:

How do i make a follower repair a mirror now? Since the patch it gifts it to them instead...

Lol. Give the job to someone you're not banging, I guess.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 17, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I was dating Ysabet and she turned into a rival. :mad:

Now I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to de-rival her.

edit: lol I think I know why she did it

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 17, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Anyone found Heart desire?

I have a suspicion I might know how to do it, and it'll be my next game.

(Moth) Endgame spoilers: Because Ysabet beat me to the Moth win and I'm real mad. :mad: I couldn't figure out how to trigger the Moth ascension - the way things work out I think I needed that dumb 20% influence behind the Spider Door, because it's not a traditional "get 6-7 marks, do the rite, blammo". I was still rerolling for it when she ascended and I got the Lionsmith Bad End.

If there's a way to upgrade your Scars, I haven't found it yet.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 17, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hmm.

So far no luck on my first theory, and I'm not sure there's any Heart Influence cards in the game.

Still working on my first and third theory. And if there's no way to change scars, then :gonk: that'd be a horrid design decision.

Edit: okay, first theory ruled out

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

It looks like you should be able to generate them and upgrade them from vitality in the study verb somehow, using the skill cards.

The final upgrade for each of the skills definitely implies you can do it there, but, well, that's a lost of loving lessons to put together and I wanted to see what the capstone skills did.

spoiler they do nothing and you can't generate influences with them once you've maxed them out

Fortunately I'm on the Moth path so all I need to do is feed half the capital to the Spider Door.

e: thread needs renamed to Cultist Simulator: Will Not, Will Not, Will Not Stop Dancing

Your comment was totally in the wrong direction but it allowed me to find the answer! It's embarrassingly obvious!

How to unlock / move on the Heart ascension path:

The intuitive thing to do for your dance once you get the contract with the Ecdysis Club is to dance with Passion. You can also, however, dance with Health.

Before launching that I strongly advise you max out your Health score. The reason will rapidly become obvious.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 17, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Goddamn, so they nerfed the hell out of getting secret histories to do expeditions. Mallery and Chamber of ways give me level 6s now?

I've gotten 10s from Malleary today, I'm pretty sure.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Oh gently caress I just got married.

There's no achievement for that, right? There's not one for (lategame spoiler) having your rival beat you to ascension. YSABET :argh: WE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE ASCENSION BUDDIES

WHICH IS WHY I DIDN"T TRY TO MURDER YOUR rear end UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Alright how the hell do I make my Change temptation into whatever the Heart one is? Started with the Dancer thing, spent 20 minutes trying to find the new Patron to do the club gig, and now its still just moth.

You advance the Heart path by dancing with Health (and the resulting scars) instead of Passion. It'll still call itself Change at least as far as I've gotten (which is like one step in, but enough that it's clearly the Heart Path).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Minor dancer spoilers: I gave Sulochana a secret history in the hopes she would direct me to some strange new location I’ve never been before. She gave me back a Kerisham.

Lady, I can turn histories into Kerishams my own drat self. I have looted that place down to the bedrock.

There's actually a use for that!

She'll skip you straight to the lovely-but-required-for-the-ascension repeatable level even if you haven't opened the other four. This can be handy for the later ascension steps.

Gato posted:

Surely there has to be a way to get higher-level Heart influence? I've hit a wall with the Heart ascension - I've unlocked the first two animal forms and done the corresponding expeditions but now I can't get enough Heart to make it to the next dance. I guess I could gamble with Lantern cultists but I don't like the odds. Or maybe it's possible to get another Scar somehow?

You can rack up three scars, one per dance slot. Just throw Heart into the dance until you can't, and incidentally have like 2 heart for general purpose, which is actually less annoying than having it happen to Passion. I'm not sure about the final stage though, since I lost before finishing my Moth ascension.