Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Mr.Radar posted:

Everyone's favorite Scottish AMD shill AdoredTV has a new video about how mean Nvidia is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0L3OTZ13Os
If nothing else, watch the fist ~40 seconds of the video for a good laugh.

jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Wirth1000 posted:

Linus owns nad his videos are entertaining. A sense of humour is required unless of course you think the height of humour

*swirls hard lemonade in wine glass*

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

vic berger noooooo

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

...how

I mean I don't care what people look like that give me tech news, but come on washing your hair a week in advance is not asking much

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 4, 2019

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQjTYbqG1CI

This right here is all of GamersNexus/Steve distilled into why I love him so loving much. Just a relentless calling out of AMD's bullshit about the 110C junction temperature poo poo.

At the same time I feel so bad for them cause their audience is comprised of people who label/self-identify themselves as 'gamers' and I really wish they were in a position to rebranding themselves. Like maybe call themselves TechNexus or just Tech Jesus.
I don't have a link but Steve mentioned on one video I remember that he he chose the name for the site 'very early' and basically regrets it now

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

He should really just buy a new domain, rebrand, and have the old domain redirect to the new one. He can change the name of the youtube channel too. This stuff isn't written in stone

A little more complex than that

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

well why not posted:

You know what you tuber I can’t stand? Bitwit/Awesomesauce/Kyle. He’a easily got the least tech knowledge of the crowd, lacks video skills and does those painful skits. At least Paul doesn’t try to be entertaining and jayztwocents is incredibly skilled at builds. Kyle just has vlogs with his wife and terrible characters. I don’t get the appeal.
I saw a video of his once when he was wearing a t-shirt with 'Taxation is Theft' on it, and I think that pretty much says it all

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Welp time to do another video <dips head in vat of chicken grease>

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Move over, AdoredTV, there's a new king

pause after periods, christ

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Steve and GN is about the only one of these types of channels I can tolerate these days they're overall great, but as been said before, they really could do well to start paring the amount of data back in their video reviews. I'm sure it's a monetary concern to some extent as I understand YT's compensation policy wrt ads + video length, but drat their reviews where they're comparing against multiple products at once can be a real slog.

Watching their Ryzen 3100 review just drives that home, the screen showing charts with 30+ separate lines and Steve speed-reading listlessly through the written review for each separate benchmark, drat. I mean just cut out 2/3rds of those CPU's in the graphs at least to make the comparisons legible, really don't think we need to know how the 3100 fares against a 16 core/32 thread Ryzen, but maybe that's just me.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

lmao

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Nvidia walking it back (in as much as you can do) is not surprising, it's just bizarre how far up your own rear end to not foresee how this would have ended up after sending that email. Just stunning incompetence

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Really it's more of a surprise when tech tubers aren't like this

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Of course insufferable online nerds are insufferable online nerds, but aside from that, one of the reasons the Verge video got a lot of traction because it wasn't just a 'bad build', it was so bizarrely wrong from just the perspective of getting the 'human being who has never put an Ikea desk before' to host it. There's not knowing DIY PC's well enough, then there's just apparently not having experience with you know, everyday objects

"So, you need to put this equipment together that uses screws. What you need is a swiss army knife, which if you're lucky, has a screwdriver"

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Charles Leclerc posted:

That's quite the accusation lol

You'd have to go back far into the thread but yeah, it was basically him panicking about BLM breaking into his house and how he's armed and ready.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

They didn't, only Steve hosed it up.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

The seemingly endless listing of fuckups isn't even exhaustive, there's like 30 minutes of just going over incredibly egregious incompetence and it's like from within the past month, jfc

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Vir posted:

I think LMG is going to handle this badly, fortunately

ftfy

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Did LTT apologize at least?

Not sure how you even 'apologize' in this situation, it's not a critique of a single or a couple of screw-ups, it's a systematic takedown of his entire project. Steve was generous in framing this as an overstressed workforce, and they are - but it's not like they slipped on a banana peel and fell into this situation. The 'fix' for this is for Linus to be a different person, so good luck with that I guess?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I meant to Billet Labs, and before this video.

Ah ok my bad.

Seeing a number of takes along the lines of "I hope LTT improves from this" in other avenues and had my brain stuck in that mode - like, what? Linus is first and foremost a marketing guy, that's where he comes from and that's what he's always done. Like what are these people expecting?

Edit: Jesus, Shiba Inu videos don't get ratios like this

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

turns out no, but still - lol

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

<thor_is_it_though.jpg>

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Rinkles posted:

HU has a bit of response, but don't really say much (I only watched this abridged version).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcSkrkXd2H0

Tim is fairly critical, Steve a little more forgiving. Kind of feels like he doesn't want to step on anyone's toes, but maybe I'm misjudging him.

That pretty much summarizes HBU. Tim generally seems far more objective.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Lister posted:

If the why is subjective, then it isn't all rock solid. The video mostly being right doesn't put it above criticism. I think that pulling quotes from employees saying they wish they had more time to make videos, without actually getting direct quotes specifically on the subject of the video, was irresponsible too. It's drawing a conclusion from those statements to GN's thesis without allowing the people saying those things from elaborating.

God this is pathetic. The quotes are...there. In the video. They're making public statements. They're not out of context, it's literally asking them what problems they have in their working environment. Reaching out to them for comment beforehand would just be a way to get the more PR version of those statements.

As made clear earlier in the thread, people really have no understanding of what 'journalistic ethics' actually is.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 15, 2023

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Lister posted:

They were public statements made in one context (being asked "What would you change about LMG?") then being taken and put into a new context ("We know these issues at LTT in terms of the rushing... pushing employees and staff to hit deadlines despite concerns with the data or the collection of the data. We know these come from top down as shown in a recent LTT interview that it conducted with its own employees where many of them stated concerns with content quality pertaining to restrictive time constraints.") to support GN's thesis. This is the definition of taking a quote out of context.

jfc, those are literally the same thing. One context is asking them what they want changed, the other is showing the problems that needs to be changed, by using the employees own recorded words identifying the problems...that need to be changed. Your brain is soup.

If you have a series of interviews and one of the most common critiques of the current work environment being given by employees is that time pressure is leading to struggles with producing quality content, and the thesis of your video is that content mine pressure is negatively impacting the quality of a channels work, that is not 'out of context' - that is fitting a square peg into a square hole perfectly. Like what is wrong with you?

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 15, 2023

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Its funny to see this entire thread go against Linux on this one. The forums are never that galvanized

What distro

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

A WELLNESS CHECK

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Lister posted:

Ok, I'll break it down for you. One context is asking them what they want changed. The other context is saying that the stated concerns are proof that employees are being pushed to release content despite concerns about data or data collection. But it's not proof. It's an assumption GN is making based on a question it didn't ask and with answers it doesn't fully have. The most common critique was not "time pressure is leading to struggles with producing quality content." It was just generally saying they wish they had more time to work on videos or to release fewer videos. One person mentioned increasing quality.

you have a head injury

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Why does anyone want more time to do anything? Obviously it's quality, this isn't rocket science.

The thing is, believing it's possible they're actually not talking about wanting the time to be more thorough is actually far more damning than the way Steve is framing it.

He's presenting their comments as further evidence that time pressure is the main factor in leading to, as he says, 'nearly every video' containing significant errors. And again - further evidence. It's one thing to truly take the comments 'out of context' is if your video is wholly making the thesis that there is rot at LMG due to overwork and using those video snippets as the only evidence, but he doesn't - there's 30 minutes if rapid-fire fuckups of their own content.

Framing those comments as just additional backing of your argument that this incompetence is due to pressure is actually the most generous framing possible when the evidence is this overwhelming, it's saying this is due to work practices that can be changed, rather (than what I largely believe) due to the general attitude of the founder just not giving a poo poo. So, you believe they just want more time to goof around more in videos, fine. Then you're effectively saying they're incapable of recognizing substandard content. Ok?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Lister posted:

I'm not seeing how this is the gotcha that you think it is.
Because you're weird and dumb

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Dr Ian says his video script about it is up to 25 pages. He's been mostly defensive of LTT on Twitter.

Looking forward to 30 minutes of 'automated testing is hard, yo'

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1691413954751295490?s=20

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't agree with all of Lister's points, but this is fair in my opinion:

Even if we think we know what the LMG employees meant by what they said, we don't have a full understanding of each one's stance on this subject, so it feels kinda weird to see their words taken by by Steve to make a point that those people may not fully agree with. I think it would be fine if he just left it as "based on what they're saying, it appears that their video schedule is rushed," but he sorta attributed that opinion to the employees in order to lend credence to his own assertion. It didn't feel like an appropriate thing to do in the video.

When you have 6 people , including Linus himself, bring up the same critique of 'too many videos!', and one person actually saying "Very rarely am I particularly proud of a video I've worked on", and another saying a benefit of producing less content is that it would be nice to 'look in the rearview mirror and see how things went', arguing that they each needed to be personally interviewed by Steve himself to discern their actual meaning is just ridiculous.

As others have said, that is already the PR version.

The allegation is not that employees are necessarily being treated poorly, or unhappy with their job as a whole. They might love it, but the only implication Steve - and again, a generous framing imo - is making is that they are making mistakes (cough) by rushing to produce content after content. Showing a series of interview snippets where some of the most prominent on-air personalities of LMG say one of their critiques is that they produce too much content is the most obvious thing you could possibly add to the video to support your argument. Again, it's not drawing the conclusion that LMG is too focused on volume based solely on their interview segments, the substantial evidence that they're too focused on content is based on, you know, all the loving content with all the mistakes. This is just saying "Look, even their employees are concerned about the pace". You don't need to even imply they're phrasing it as a serious complaint for it to be relevant.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 16, 2023

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay is Ian Cuttress affiliated with LTT in some way because the man is still repping for Linus through all this - even promoted the apology video as being good

🤔

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1691813076561952777?s=20

/e,fb

kalleth posted:

fwiw Ian C did an immediate about-face once Madison started posting, and has been defending her without question since:

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1691716067595280669

Right after posting that though, he's pimping the apology video.

https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1691769776853463108?s=20

Lister posted:

Madison's story is the kind of bombshell information that can be discovered by interviewing current or former employees. If GN had reached out to her for her story, even anonymously, it would have been so much more affective than pulling quotes out of context. That's the kind of investigation I wish they'd done. Maybe they'll talk to a lot of people for a follow up video, but I worry that unless it's put in a video by a major channel that it's going to be unseen by the larger youtube audience.

Upon reading Madison's tweets I was thinking of maybe making a joke post like "I hope GN interviews her so it can have some credibility" but decided that would be in poor taste. JFC you are eternally broken

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 16, 2023

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

spunkshui posted:

Linus deserves all of this because it all started when a LTT video said, “unlike gamers nexus, we retest every time.”

Which was a dick line to put in a video and a loving lie.

Steve put them under a microscope because of that and he only used recent poo poo.

Not really, Steve has been critical of them before and this is something that's clearly been brewing for a while - that comment was also ignored by Steve when he heard it, the precusor to this seemed to be when Linus went on his wan show and started whining about how unfairly he was treated due to the backpack situation, yet again.

Like it didn't help, but Steve didn't hear that comment and go scorched earth - that's the argument LTT defenders are making that this was all out of feeling slighted, when it's more than they've been sucking rear end for a long time.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i thought craft computing telling people to put their steam library in their NAS through iscsi was one of the funniest jokes ever, but then i realized he wasn't joking

Also had this utterly bizarre 4060 review - basically arguing everyone is doing mid/lowrange card reviews wrong by arguing against a strawman that the 4060 series is getting poo poo on because reviewers are unfairly comparing it to high end products on expensive CPU's.

Like there's some merit that for midrange card reviews, game benchmarks should also show high settings and not just Ultra (which I've seen many do regardless), but that's not why the 4060 series was trashed - it was trashed because it could be beaten by the previous generation of cards, and there wasn't any vram upgrade despite it being clearly limited years ago, let alone now. Just basically a dumbass.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 17, 2023

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

kliras posted:

also, a lot of sff channels make it sound "fun" to fit all your stuff in the cases because aesthetics, but i think it's perfectly fine to mention what an actual pain in the rear end it is for someone who's not buying thermal paste by the gallon. a lot of the customization means a lot of add-on expenses regular people might not anticipate

same thing with steve's thing with fan filter and weird front intake. at the end of the day, massively throttling airflow and thermals is worth bringing attention to so people can weigh the pros and cons

The Terra case has been widely praised on other channels and reddit, and the first thing I thought when seeing it was "Wait...won't those panels fuckup the airflow" and welp, thanks to GN for actually doing the work.

edit: of course

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 20, 2023

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Shipon posted:

watching it now and about 30 minutes in, it is definitely /not/ taking both sides, ian has pretty definitively dogged linus for his poor handling of this and clearly said that the people asking "both sides" about the madison allegations are loving idiots and explained why people might appear to "be dogpiling" when harrassment has happened to them that might make them fear speaking out before

From his comments on that specifically on Twitter I'm not that surprised he's taking that position, that was the one area he was at least more concrete on.

What I was suspecting though is that before the Madison revelations occurred, the video would basically consist of "benchmarking is hard, yo" and overall a lukewarm at best, if not outright defense of LTT - and skipping past the halfway point to where he gets into the review process, it's actually worse than that. He actually says critiquing reviewers like LTT is punching down, and if there are inaccuracies, then it will be reflected in the viewer count. The free market of ideas folks! Basically, it's Linus's "we are a media family" defense - youtubers can't critique other youtubers.

Granted I have been jumping around the last half as I don't know if I can stomach 20+ minutes of this guy just speaking in front of a brick wall for this (let alone 90), but man - even trying to get more context on those snippets just makes it worse. I mean if you're actually addressing the critique of a video, then reference it at least - show some clips, then talk about them. I suspect he's not doing that though as it would make this hand-waving seem that much more explicit, so just speaking in generalities instead of showing the actual critique that he's supposedly responding to helps mask that a bit.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 22, 2023

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Jumped to that timestamp and Jesus Christ, yeah I'm sure GN and HUB are just dying to have to do their own videos on every item LMG does a video on to correct all of their errors. What a dickhead.

Basically everyone now needs to cycle through the same content on a continual basis at the same time like movie reaction youtubers. This is clearly the 'analytical' solution. jfc

Edit: Oh gently caress me. We have to accept LTT's incompetence, because if we don't, then the work environment will be even worse!

https://twitter.com/thisistechtoday/status/1693826887842251113?s=20

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 22, 2023

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

TheGreySpectre posted:

I hate the trend of everything being videos as of late. Whatever that 90 minutes of video is it would probably be all covered in an article that would take 10-15 min to read.

Not if that fucker is writing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"It's worth noting that when Steve says, I haven't enjoyed the process, he's smiling quite heavily."

Got em

This is actually one of the few (only?) times he actually shows a clip of the show, and it's just Steve's regular pained expression, he's barely even smiling - the one clip he shows doesn't even back up his point, whatever the gently caress it was meant to be.

Dr Ian confused when other human beings slightly emote