Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

redeyes posted:

He was super dumb posting that. Maybe Canada is different in terms of BSA.

Nah, the audit process is the same up here as it is in Freedomland. Dealt with one about 8 months ago. You get the same order to self report, followed by "run this tool", etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Christ on a bike. If that guy has a PO box listed I'm going to mail him some Head and Shoulders.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

You ever have one of those moments where you're reading something so baffling that the more of it you read, the further away you move it away from your face in case your eyes just aren't focusing on it right it something?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Juniper uses FreeBSD as a control plane OS, the actual traffic is handled by ASICs on the data plane.
They probably have shedloads of DDR1 memory still in stock, so why not use it?

On the lower end SRX models, the ASICs are only used for L2 forwarding, even in the current generation. The SRX4600s are where the ASIC-based traffic inspection shows up. We're not talking about MX10ks here.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I am entirely unsurprised that the charismatic darling sales guy of shady defunct retailer NCIX is a scumbag.

VostokProgram posted:

How is the waterblock thing not theft?

It sounds like it'd be classified as "theft by conversion", which is basically theft via selling something you don't actually own. Like if you rented a Lamborghini for a week and sold it to a chop shop (a thing that some incredibly stupid people do).

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Linus Tech Tips: It's About Ethics In PC Parts Journalism

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Phone posted:

to be fair, hard R linus was extremely funny earlier this year

The look on Luke's face when he heard that and realized he needed to put together a new resume was loving incredible.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Branch Nvidian posted:

I'd say one has to wonder why Luke has continued to put up with Linus and his bullshit all these years, but it's pretty obvious that the money is more important to him than setting any kind of standard of integrity.

Tech wages in Vancouver are poo poo and being the cover-up guy for Linus is probably pretty lucrative.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wendell would be on Team Steve as well, which means we need to find the opposite of Wendell for Team Linus.

Maybe some YouTuber who still uses hacked together pirated versions of Windows 7 and has to reformat weekly to clear out the malware because he still refuses to upgrade.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Branch Nvidian posted:

Whatever happened to the guy Wendell used to work with when it was Tek Syndicate? He gave off real chud rear end in a top hat vibes.

I was also thinking that dude, but I can't remember his name. Or much of what he looked like, other than an enormous douchebag.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Calling it now: Linus is slowly working towards trying to revive what he thought of as the glory days of NCIX, just with him at the helm. The LMG empire will collapse because nobody wants NCIX back and the already dwindling role of "fairly helpful brick and mortar computer parts shop" has been fulfilled not only in Vancouver but all across Canada extremely well by Memory Express (who snapped up a bunch of NCIX's abandoned leases during the bankruptcy lol).

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

kliras posted:

the ncix youtube play button was his rosebud all along

Linus, on his deathbed, whispering "NCIX" before dropping a fully loaded supermicro server as the life escapes his fingers

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

I'm honestly kind of shocked how large the CanadaComputers place out in the Tricities is now. They originally moved in NCIX's old digs near Coquitlam Centre but then moved a few blocks over into a massive space.

I don't know if they're any good or not I've just bought a couple things but did the quick pickup.

Never been to a Memory Express just none near me but their website seems pretty good!

Yeah, if the ME in Langley doesn't have what I'm looking for I'll usually just drive out to the Canada Computers in poco instead. Not that far of a trek and chances are if there's something you need, it's somewhere in there.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

Canada Way whereabouts? Despite living in the lower mainland for nigh on 20 years there are still some areas where i have yet to have gone and possibly that's one of them.

I'm glad I don't know of it because I'd probably buy an amiga 500/600/1200 for too much if they had one and then never use it lol

I'm also curious as to whether or not it's still around, since my office is on Canada Way and my apartment still has plenty of room for 40 year old computers...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Entertainingly there's a Canada Computers maybe half a block down Grandview from the Superstore, kind of oddly offset back behind another building. I wonder if they're in that space that old store was in.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Lmao, he's going to throw another temper tantrum.

If he goes scorched earth and shuts down/sunsets Floatplane he's gonna have a buuuunch of other creators at his throat.

L1T, HUB, and Bitwit (eugh) all have Floatplane channels. The DankPods/Garbage Time guy also streams regularly there, successfully at that (though he's also a dogecoin millionaire so the impact of Floatplane going tits up wouldn't be as high for him)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Celexi posted:

so ltt had a of account with the staff on it? what the gently caress?

I mean, what else do you expect from the company where the owner sent his video editor unedited security footage of his cock and balls swinging in the wind when they got hacked, followed by two hours of barely concealed sitting Linus dong?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

like what did that admin PM even look like

I hope it was "PLEASE BAN ME YOU BOOTLICKING THUGS" level funny.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is LTT headquartered in Langley? That's only about a 15 minute drive for me. I can drive past their place shouting "LOG OFF, LINUS" at the building.

It's in that weird limbo between Surrey and Langley, iirc.

Conveniently it's also a 15 minute drive for me, so we can meet up at LTT and shout LOG OFF LINUS then go for a pint! :eng101:

e: Google Maps says 188th and 52nd or thereabouts.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Now that this saga has gained national traction it qualifies for one of the nation's most prestigious forms of remembrance

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

Oh yeah that guy! BTW what happened to Squire? Was he laid off from global a while back or something? I don't really watch global news but my folks loved that guy. I seem to recall that he got axed but maybe I'm thinking of someone else from the BC news.

Global's website still lists him as the Sports Director so maybe he just isn't on camera anymore.

Or maybe he is and I haven't actually watched the news hour at 6 in a decade.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apropos of nothing, why is 8-bit guy persona non grata here? Is it his 2A weirdness?

He's a weirdo right-libertarian who destroys vintage hardware trying to "repair" it and creeps on his daughter's friends.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jeff Fatwood posted:

...w-what? I know of the other things but I've missed that one

He's had his teenage daughter's friends "model" -- in his words -- when testing vintage digital cameras, multiple times, when they were in their early teens.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Palladium posted:

i mean its bonkers to do this and still think its OK and even more so to casually and smugly admit it out loud

Libertarianism: actually, it's ehephiolwoph-- (USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mp5 posted:

our sponsors

Today's derail is sponsored by the Ridge wallet!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TheGreySpectre posted:

I got curious once and went to their website. I had no idea they were like $100+. Their website did not have any explanation for why I would pay $100 for what looked like a small bit of aluminum and elastic. $30 or $40 sure yeah, but $100 seemed absolutely ridiculous. I guess their ad did it's job of getting me curious enough to click though.

But think of the value you get for bundling their highest priced wallet with a matching key holder! You save almost a hundred dollars bringing your total down to just $325!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Charles Leclerc posted:

I'm feeling pretty buzzed just reading these rules.

I think a few of them would be fatal within the first half hour.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

200GbE stopped being interesting in 2017 when IEEE standardized 400GBASE-8 anyways, and furthermore so a couple years ago when 400GBASE-4 became a thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A good poster posted:

Dankpods' three-week vacation is turning into a five-week hiatus and I'm getting antsy.

The video of James fixing an iPhone from the Dankpods desk tided me over for a bit at least.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah the early videos were great, I loved the Cammaster, but I felt like he crawled up his own rear end and lost me at some point.

I remember he had that Falcon project car and he carried on and on about how it was going to be the ultimate "regular car" but then decided he just had to put in a gigantic floor shifter, and he tried justifying it by saying "well it's a safety improvement" and like dude just admit you love and want the bigass floor shifter lever, don't try to pretend you had to.

Every ultimate project car he's owned he's gotten bored with and moved onto the next one within a couple years. The Falcon only lasted as long as it did because it was an absolute shitheap (apart from the exterior) that needed three years of time in Bruce Henn's garage before it could go further than a hundred miles without needing ten litres of fluids replaced.

I haven't watched any recent ones because at some point they stopped being funny yet somewhat informative reviews of the experience of driving a car and turned into thirty minute video essays about postmodernism, and if I wanted absolute audiovisual wankery for my car youtubes I'd watch Doug DeMuro or that VINwiki cannonball run shithead.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVy8o3WECEw

He's back! And sounds like hell, rip danksinuses

e: holy poo poo I recognize ALL those shots dude literally went to the suburb I live in for vacation wtf

mewse posted:

Is this one of the guys that does "Car Trek" with tavarish because that crew is insufferable

Possibly, he's the tall guy who used to sell lambos.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 24, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

Man I hate crappy tire. Why do all the aisles have to be a foot wide. And everything they sell is utter trash

I'm just loving astounded watching DankPods narrate my local Canadian Tire.

e: that taco bell has really slow service though. 3/10

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

IIRC Tim Hortons lost their exclusivity contract for their coffee back when it was still decent around the time they got bought by Burger King, and McDonalds immediately scooped that poo poo up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

Was it to YVR and then drive or to Abbotsford and drive from there? Both would be bad.

There’s a shot of what looks like Metrotown in the far distance from the 99, so YVR.

You know, there’s been a distressing amount of the Fraser Valley in this thread in the past week. What did we do to deserve this?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A few years ago Wade got super lucky and iirc found an old hard drive with a fat dogecoin wallet on it, so he stopped worrying about being a gigging jazz drummer and combined that with the patreon to go full hog and start a few other channels and just make audiovisual shitposts full time.

He also got a warehouse and turned it into a combination filming studio/drum museum/streaming area/maintenance garage.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SpartanIvy posted:

The most frustrating thing about Linus house is that he bought a perfectly good and nice normal house and then proceeded to Groverfy it into the abomination that it is.

That's just what you do when you're a multimillionaire in Vancouver who can't afford one of the actual fancy rich people houses. You ruin a house or entire neighbourhood in Langley.

Some rich folks moved into my dad's neighbourhood (all houses built in the late 70s/early 80s) a few years ago, tore down the 45-year-old totally serviceable two storey 4b/2.5ba house with a nice backyard, and put up an absolute monstrosity of a 6b/6ba that's so badly designed they had to dramatically alter the topmost roof pitch halfway through construction to stay within zoning bylaws. It's ugly as gently caress and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

probably lopped every tree on the property down too.

My neighbourhood has a ton of nice trees and old houses and I am super worried about when they start to get sold and torn down for the monster houses built out as far as possible and the rest is paved. It's why I'm looking for a new place bordering protected green space.

Yep. Didn't even put up any bushes or anything. And the owner somehow got google to take down street view of the cul-de-sac so no one could witness his architectural abomination.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

if i were rich, i'd just get a solar roof or something, make sure my house was fully wired with cat 6, maybe run a home server for fun, i don't know. every video linus has ever posted about his home "tech upgrades" make it all seem like a nightmare though. nothing seems to work, he can't even watch tv in his living room without the audio cutting out. who wants to live like this?

Someone who gets paid $100k/month to youtube influencer thumbnail face at said lovely television.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

Gross. I'm in Coquitlam where the city is trying to increase the tree canopy (giving out free trees to plant etc) but at the same time just let anyone redeveloping a property to raze the entire thing down to the bare earth. It's super dumb.

Thankfully the township has decreed that all developments that aren't "individual buys property, individual builds new house" have to commit to some percentage of green space. When one developer got the OK to build a pair of high-rises they had to commit to two public green spaces, an ecological area, and a park.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

They're not actually building those things, are they?

They are. About two thirds of the way done the structure.

It's impressive that the township got around to OKing high rises before the City -- y'know, where the fuckin SkyTrain is going to be going to -- bothered to think about redevelopment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

njsykora posted:

Yeah my thought was if you want an out of college job to just get something on a CV, a year at LMG gives you a known media company to stick on it at least.

And probably some pity marks from the next person who considers offering you a job at a functional company.