Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Steve's got a fat sack of CPUs and we'll be finding out what exactly they are together - live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozi2C3pcFZE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

RGB memory adds like ten percent to the cost of the memory in most cases, also we usually advise against it anyways because that money can still be spent better elsewhere, also they add another layer of software and another thing to go wrong, also their height can interfere with good tower coolers, also what the gently caress?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

CoolCab posted:

look: i'm just saying if i didn't own quite so many 400 dollar toasters i'd simply blow my budget on 250 dollar dutch ovens, etc. this is one of many ways in which buying several 400 dollar toasters have if anything saved me money

Money you haven't spent is just money you're going to waste, it is impossible to imagine otherwise :hai:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

My old man was a mechanic for decades and, based on how he talked about them, Snap-On tools cost as much as they do is because their warranty policy is basically: in the trivial unlikelihood that a tool ever wavers in your lifetime then the employee that made it will hand deliver you a replacement same-day and you are allowed to slap them in the face medium strength up to 3 (three) times

There is no way that LTT is seventy dollars worth of standing behind these things

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

When the time is right (you will not know, they will know) you will be visited by The Snap-On Guy; they travel by van but their van travels by mysterious swirling dust cloud that no one else is able to see

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I've been digging around inside of PCs since the beige boxes of the 90s and when I got my first modern, power supply on the bottom, cable management behind the motherboard, drive trays out of the way, front-to-back airflow PC case (my trusty Phanteks P300A) it was a revelation - it was like I'd been lied to about what computer cases should be my whole life and only now someone was speaking the truth to me

I can never go back to The Old Ways, god even just looking at that dusty stamped steel oven with a rat's nest of cables is giving me the palpitations :ohdear:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Coxswain Balls posted:

Make sure to pair it with some hearing protection, and remember to clear the air filter on the bottom every so often because it picks up gunk quick with how powerful it is. I got mine years ago on sale as a "gently caress it, why not" purchase and I use it all the time for household chores. It's paid for itself many times over compared to using canned air dusters.

Yeah, I have a Compucleaner 2.0 and all this tracks - it'll crackle my eardrums even on low, and the filter on the bottom fills up after every use since it manages to suck in all the dust I'm kicking into the air :v:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

njsykora posted:

We now have youtubers sponsoring youtubers to promote a youtuber edition of a youtuber merch product because the youtuber who made the screwdriver has gotten super sensitive about people saying his screwdriver isn't amazing.

There's also a b-plot going on here,

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

You don't need to tell us that people want unchallenging slop over researched information, we're alive in 2022

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

a $4500 computer with 32gb of ram and a hard drive

A one terabyte hard drive, an 8tb WD Black might make sense but that thing's the same size as the NVMe

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

The operative word here is "daughterboard" - we've had this conversation here a few times but you can really feel the ATX standard fraying at the edges

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

You could house a family of four in that 011D EVO XL and they'd still have room for a large dog to run around, and I love every overengineered bit of it :allears:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

TheFluff posted:

The fan tester is a puzzle though, I don't know why they haven't used that more. For a while they were saying they needed to really understand it properly before they published anything but that was years ago at this point.

They call out the fan tester as component to this whole sound chamber thing, they couldn't get the fan testing going until this was done

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

njsykora posted:

Yeah the keep quiet and pretend it never happened once the heat's died down strategy isn't the most entertaining but it's the most effective for the purpose of making everyone forget it happened.

Also does Noctua still basically have sole ownership of the low profile SFF air cooler market just because literally no-one else is even trying in that market?

ID-Cooling has made some real gains in that market and have models in tons of height / overhang configurations to suit various SFF restrictions

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

For some years I worked an office job where a Costco membership recruiter would come by once a year and fish for new members / renewals. When he showed up it was always with bulk packs of cookies and soda, as well as 6+ pipin' hot pizzas. I talked with him about the gig once and apparently it was the greatest job ever by his measure - every day he went to a different office where he was treated as a returning king, because everybody everywhere secretly wants a surprise pizza party.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Unperson_47 posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Dankpods guy made a fortune investing in crypto. I think he just dipped in, sold it at its peak, an dipped out? He doesn't seem like some true-believer in crypto because he's never talked about it outside of about 2 instances and crypto guys will never shut up about it as we all know.

By his own admission he knew nothing about crypto back then and knows nothing about it now, it might as well have been a lotto ticket

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

"I love where I work and by gosh we're the best folks around" is one thing, "our data is more accurate than another outlet" is a little more demonstrable

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I love the Divx training video that was unearthed some years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Or4nWQpidk

It's a string of canned answers for questions or concerns a potential Divx customer might have, such as "why would I want this," "it sounds fuckin stupid," and "no"

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

Whatever happened to the good ol' days when the king was Pewdiepie and he got the crown by having unintelligible screaming seizures and dropping homophobic slurs at a rate of several per second?

Yesterday I got a G Fuel Pewdiepie energy drink at the dollar store because that's where all that kind of poo poo goes to get purged; it tasted like a shot of Robitussin dropped into a glass of Red Bull but not as good as I'm making it sound

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

tracecomplete posted:

Is that true? Because I GTFO'd turds like the 8-bit Guy years ago and with my interests I'd expect to see his poo poo again by now if so.

There's either a time limit or a block cap because I've had to reblock youtube's favorite content for babies (SSSniperWolf, MrBeast, Dhar Mann, etc) and bigots (PragerU, Jordan Peterson, Joe Rogan, etc) multiple times over

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I literally cannot remember the last time I actually opened my subscriptions page. I watch a lot of youtube, and it is 100% through home/recommended/search.

This is me too and might be why youtube keeps shoving insane garbage at me, because like 2/3ds of my views are cooking shows and 1/3 are tech news but I also don't use subscriptions or likes or notifications at all so my recommendation algorithm must be a mess

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Volte posted:

I've never, ever had any of the mainstream (SSSniperWolf, MrBeast, etc) or right wing (JP, Rogan, etc) poo poo appear on my feed. Occasionally something I watch will taint the results a little bit, not in a harmful way but just weighting it towards something I am not that interested in, but if I just ignore those things or choose "Not Interested" they go away after a day or two. You can also filter the feed using the little labels at the top which I find quite useful and is also a bit of a clue as to why certain things might be appearing.

Yes but the point some of us are making is that we don't watch anything even peripherally related to these channels (I have never watched any reaction videos but will still get SSSniperWolf recommended, I have never watched a sniveling racist sob on camera but will still get Jordan Peterson recommended, etc) and will get them recommended again months later even after explicitly telling youtube to not recommend their channels by name. There's either a time limit or block limit on "don't recommend" so I'll get my homepage pruned to nothing but content I like, but then within a few months there'll be a tidal wave of videos with oversaturated thumbnails of a dead-eyed presenter next to the word "FAKE?" or "WOKE" where apparently I won't BELIEVE what happens next!!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Volte posted:

I'm not doubting that it's appearing for you against your wishes, but it could be appearing either because of something else you're watching that the algorithm erroneously thinks is related to those things (which you might be able to figure out by filtering by the labels at the top to see what category it's basing the recommendation on) or because you're not engaging with your feed enough for it to not dip into the "What's popular on YouTube in general?" well to fill it out. I've been using the YouTube feed almost exclusively as my portal to YT videos for like 5 or 6 years and have never once had any of that stuff appear. I've never even told it to never show it to me, it just doesn't show it to me, and the list of categories it does show me are all sensible based on what I've been watching. I don't know what the difference is between our usage habits, but I think the answer lies there.

I mean you got it on the head, the answer is you're not engaging with your feed enough for it to not dip into the "What's popular on YouTube in general?" well to fill it out basically. I have maybe three or four channels I watch with any regularity, maybe a dozen more sporadically and that's about it, and since they only update here and there my feed only gets a couple new videos a day to show me - and because I don't feed the algorithm anything it can work with it just keeps insisting this time, this time I might like Popular Thing even though I said I don't repeatedly. It has been better lately, I've also been seeing a lot more sub-100 view videos which I'll take any day of the week over the alternative, but I do miss the days where Mr. Bean compilations and local news bloopers were the go-to recommendations for blank slates instead of, well.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I have no data retention rules set up for google / youtube so it isn't that when it's happened to me :shrug: it's not like it's an uncommon problem, there's hundreds of hits on google of people bitching about the same thing

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well they deleted it lmao

Thought you were kidding but nope lol that poo poo's ashes

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/content-details/794505/core-truths-how-the-latest-technology-is-not-always-what-it-seems.html

I wonder if the responsible party got regular fired or simply had their keycard stop working on the doors mid-day

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Gamers Nexus is putting all the charts on their site :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4syyUiBG5I

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

Steve has a present for everyone complaining that his videos are boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt9Pb1sNXBY

Impossibly wholesome content :allears:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Whitest Russian posted:

I haven't watched any Linus videos on the last few months. Where'd this title come from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGW3TPytTjc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Not just reviewed but torn down, pressure tested, thermally probed, frequency verified, and gently sniffed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-YSg1KkIQ