Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I went from not caring about this game at all to being pretty excited to play it day 1 just as more info came out about the characters and how their unique stuff works. I might start as one of the Guide characters just so I can make random old men fight on my side in battles that much sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I finally got to start on my Octopath a little bit ago. I started with H'aanit, which was fine, but the first house I busted into with her Provoke had a purple chest only Therion can open. That made me irrationally upset, so I'm starting over with Therion and so far it's all about evasion and stealing lots of things from nice people so I guess that's alright.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Are there any negative repercussions to Provoking and beating the crap out of everyone possible? Will they stay knocked out forever and lock me out of potential sidequests or something?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Kobogartimer posted:

I have a broken brain so I always have to have a steal man in games like this, and if a game allows for it I always have to go for a self-sustaining mana battery strategy ASAP. Therion is my golden jrpg messiah.

Yeah, I just grabbed Steal SP with him, and it surprised me how much harder it hits than his normal dagger attack, and he gets to swing twice with it to boot. I'll definitely be getting Share SP next to help fuel Ophilia who I just picked up and Cyrus who's next in line.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Okay, Primrose's Bewildering Grace is pretty ridiculous early on. I totally didn't expect the highroll effect of a golem rocket punching the entire enemy party for 9999 damage to trigger in a prologue boss fight.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Zore posted:

So what defenses can everyone hit by default?

H'annit has Axe/Bow/Lightning and Sword/Lance plus the rest with summons
Therion has Sword/Dagger/Fire
Alfyn has Axe/Ice plus everything with concoct
Primrose has Dagger/Dark +1 other thing at a time with summon
Olberic has Sword/Lance
Tressa has Bow/Lance/Wind +her hired mercs
Cyrus has Staves/Fire/Ice/Lightning
Ophelia has Staves/Light+1 other thing with summon

So for multiclassing;

H'annit and Alfyn really don't need to worry beyond getting whatever stat bonuses and secondary commands since they can hit everything by default anyways.
Conversely, Olberic really wants Hunter to round out his defense hitting capabilities.
Ophelia/Primrose/Cyrus all basically want to multiclass into one of the others.
Tressa and to a lesser extent Therion are the jack of all trades and can do really well with basically anything except Warrior.

Honestly the only person who seems like they'd ever want Warrior is H'annit and maybe Alfyn since its the least versatile base class with only 2 defenses it can hit and no other utility.

Warrior Therion seems pretty okay to me. Mine's level 25ish and with various equipment bonuses is hitting over 500 Evade, so as a Warrior he can draw aggro, have the enemies miss, then sometimes counterattack thanks to that one Dancer passive that he also has. That being said, I'm currently running Merchant Therion for more weakness coverage and just gave him Cover to protect the other squishy people in my party.

Anyway, I just finished picking up the 8 subclasses, so now I have to make a decision between starting Chapter 2s or doing something insane and trying to game the system by getting to and somehow surviving and beating one of the special subclass bosses despite them being exactly twice the level of my head character. The one I found, the Starseeker, has 176k health, so I imagine the only way I would have any hope of success would involve many, many poisonings.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I survived an hour against The Runelord and ticked away about half its 190k health. It went nuts and started doing strong AoE stuff then. I don't think I have the resources to deal with that at this time.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Yeah, that sounds like a solid plan. I might give it another shot later on with a different party setup, but I think I need some JP on a few people to set that up, first. More levels would also help, since a party of 26/18/21/21 wasn't cutting it so much.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I tried to do that optional boss fight one more time with my super low level team, this time with a build more focused on survivability via double Sidestep Merchants, lots of BP generation, and defense buffing via dance, but it still wasn't enough to last too far into the AoE phase of the fight. I guess I'll have to give up on that for now until I have some of the stronger passives unlocked for characters. It's a shame, too, because getting this one out of the way early would make it easier to tackle the other three.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I got the 7th Cleric skill for Ophilia to unlock her 4th passive and I think that might just be the thing I was missing for taking on that optional content boss at a way low level. The only thing now is that at least one other character and preferably 3 other characters need to learn it, too, so I'll be needing more JP before the attempt.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Okay yeah, a party of levels 31/25/29/28 is more than capable of taking on the optional boss I was trying to tackle before: the Runelord. They leveld up to 33/28/31/29 in the process. The battle took awhile but I was never in much danger of losing control. It would also be plenty doable at even lower levels if I had known about the Cleric's fourth passive beforehand and also put more thought into how potent a combo Merchant/Warrior is. If anyone is curious, I can post my setup and the general gameplan of the fight tomorrow night after work.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Princeps32 posted:

I'm definitely down, I've been torn on merchant / warrior vs merchant / thief for tressa

Ok, I can't fall asleep yet so I'll just type out the basic plan here. The team I used is as follows (spoilered for people who want to figure stuff out on their own:

Therion - Thief/Merchant
Important skills: Shackle Foe, Share SP, Donate BP, Sidestep, Hire Allies kinda
Passives: Saving Grace, Snatch, Second Wind, Eye for an Eye

Tressa - Merchant/Warrior
Important skills: Donate BP, Sidestep, Incite
Passives: Saving Grace, Persistence, The Show Goes On, uhhh probably Endless Items because my Tressa didn't have much else learned

Ophilia - Cleric/Apothecary
Important skills: Holy Light, Rehabilitate, Empoison
Passives: Saving Grace, Persistence, The Show Goes On, Resist Ailments
Equip accessories that further lessen the chance of harsh ailments like sleep/confusion/silence/unconscious

Alfyn - Apothecary/Hunter
Important skills: Concoct, Rehabilitate, Empoison, Leghold Trap
Passives: Saving Grace, Persistence, The Show Goes On, Resist Ailments
Same as Ophilia, equip accessories to further lessen the chance of harsh ailments

The general idea here is getting set up in a position where you can constantly and safely refresh various buffs on your people and key ailments on the boss. Therion and Tressa want to focus on getting Sidestep up ASAP and then helping the Apothecaries get Rehabilitate up on each other and Empoison up on the boss. Tressa using Incite once she has a healthy supply of Sidestep makes the first half of the fight absolutely free and easy. The Persistence/The Show Goes On combo helps lower BP expenditure on buffs since they combine to make each use have two extra duration. Saving Grace comes into play either with a super powered Concoct heal or letting a character die and using an Olive of Life L on them to put them up to 9999, though you understandably might only have a few of these at an early point (I only had 3).

Leghold Trap and Empoison should be topped off whenever they are about to run out, and in the second half of the fight you also want to start loading Shackle Foe on him. Incite is still worth keeping up in the second half since the Runelord will occasionally do single target attacks still. In situations where nothing in particular needs to happen and you don't need to push for a Break, Donate BP or Concoct with the lowest tier healing dust and the Essence of Pomegranate is good for generating more BP and spreading it around.

Also, sorta randomly, the boss can be Blinded, but exploiting that generally didn't feel necessary. Other than that, that's basically it, just a whole lot of surviving, poisoning, leghold trapping, breaking, etc.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Second optional side boss taken down. It's already been mentioned before that the Runelord's unique talents pair well with Sidestep to almost completely neuter the Warmaster. Now I have to put some thought into how to tackle the third one. I have a couple ideas but they'd necessitate more JP farming than I have time for tonight.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I don't think so since the Dance itself doesn't really target anything.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Edit: Glitch double post I guess.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Is there anywhere I can buy Essence of Plum? Alfyn needs to restock before I go hit up the last shrine.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

That's all of the extra shrines down. My lead character Therion just hit level 41. With the knowledge of the passives and which characters are most useful for tackling these challenges, I imagine they could've all been done at even lower levels. I love that about this game and about the Bravely series, too.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Some Numbers posted:

So my main is in the high 20s and I've finished about half of my chapter 2s.

Should I wait a while to try for an advanced job? Which one is the easiest to take down and what's the best strat?

A couple of the boss fights are absolutely winnable at that level. However, you will need certain abilities for them, some of which are costlier than others. If you didn't have that foreknowledge and have spent JP in other ways, then your main issue will be earning more JP on the characters that are the best choices for those low level strats, and that's best done just playing the game more.

If you want slightly more of a breakdown, here's the order and the general plans I used to tackle each boss:

Runelord: I actually covered my strategy in a previous post in the thread, also spoilered, so just look through my posts with the question mark under my avatar for it. Characters used were Therion (my main, Merchant), Tressa (Warrior), Ophilia (Apothecary), Alfyn (Hunter) if I remember right.

Warmaster: Therion (Merchant), Tressa (Runelord), Ophilia (Apothecary), Alfyn (Hunter). I think that's right, anyway. Tressa needs Transfer Rune and Sidestep, your Hunter needs Leghold Trap as always, the Apothecaries need Empoison, and everyone wants Saving Grace, Persistence, and The Show Goes On, basically, same as before. Make sure to keep Sidestep topped off as you get to the latter end of the fight.

Starseer: Therion (Hunter), Primrose (Scholar), Ophilia (Apothecary), Alfyn (Cleric). Primrose (or your Dancer) needs the Dancer Divine skill. The Clerics both need Reflective Veil, the Hunter needs Leghold Trap as always. Saving Grace is a little less important because it's easier to remain safer once you get past the first couple turns, but it is still recommended. Persistence/The Show Goes On is still desired on everyone, too. I had to restart the beginning of the fight a couple times to get a favorable pattern for a first turn break but otherwise the idea is to quickly build BP with items and Alfyn Concoct, get Sealticge's on a Cleric ASAP, then get Reflective Veils up on the party.

Archmagus: Therion (Hunter), Primrose (Scholar), Ophilia (Apothecary), Alfyn (Starseer). This one is similar to the last except Alfyn wants the Starseer ability that keeps opponents from debuffing your characters. You again need a favorable turn order for a first turn break before the boss's first action, then the first Sealticge's is put on Alfyn so he can spread that Starseer ability ASAP and the second is on Ophilia for the reflects.

There are obviously other strategies out there, but these are all proven to work at pretty low levels. The nice thing is that you don't get a gamebreaking amount of experience from the fights, so it'll only jump you up a couple levels at most. If I ever play again, I'd specifically train my party to take down the third one in the list there as soon as possible, since one of the passives you can get from that class is nice to have as early as possible.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

It's not like that's new or unusual for reviews, though. They can't beat every 80 hour game out there, after all.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Your Computer posted:

Like dealing every type of elemental damage with the option of dealing it twice single target or once AoE, as well as gifting the entire party BP or making them immune to status effects? Or using poison, arguably one of the most broken things in the game?

Alfyn is best boy.

Yeah, Alfyn's Concoct is tremendously useful and doesn't even require a subclass combo to make broken like the powerful synergies that have been mentioned previously. A Purifying Dust and Essence of Pomegranate gives your party a total of 8 BP for one action, zero SP. That's really strong and borderline necessary for quick setups when tackling hard optional stuff at low levels. Empoison and Rehabilitate are icing on the cake there.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

MMF Freeway posted:

What do you guys think the best order to tackle the advanced job bosses is? Sounds like doing runelord before warmaster is a gimme

That combination is recommended and I would personally also recommend Starseer before Sorceror for the Starseer ability that locks out enemy buffs and ally debuffs. If you have the necessary skills learned, I would recommend getting the job in my spoiler there first as it has a good passive for leveling up.

ChaosArgate posted:

I did Archmage, then Starseer first with the Cleric reflect strategy. I'm still trying to work something out for Runelord and Warmaster.

The strategy you were using earlier is what I did for Runemaster at mid 20s levels, but you might want to add a second Merchant who also stacks Sidesteps on him/herself and also Saving Grace on everyone so that you can endure hits when the AoE phase starts. Another helpful thing is running double Apothecaries so they can stack Rehabilitate on each other to prevent nasty statuses from sticking.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

euphronius posted:

Does anyone have a handy list of passive skill targets before unlocking the 4 expert classes?

As far as passives go, having Persistence (1st Cleric)/The Show Goes On(1st Dancer)/Saving Grace(4th Cleric) on everyone is super helpful for those fights. Resist Ailments(3rd Apothecary) is also useful for a couple.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

ChaosArgate posted:

Where's the bulk of your damage coming from with this strategy? When I tried it earlier, the bulk of my damage was coming from Scholar Divine applied to Cyrus, along with Peacock Strut to make the Sorcerer spells as strong as can be for when Runelord was broken. That got me ~15000 per break.

Yeah. Any support skills you learn on a character are free to use whenever, class skills that you use in battle are locked to that class, so anyone can use Scholar's ability to get into less fights on the overworld, but only Scholars can use the Analyze skill.

All of my damage was coming from Empoison, because no one in my team could do real damage to the Runelord in the mid 20s otherwise. The rest of the action economy was all about staying alive, staying healthy, keeping as many Sidesteps stacked as possible, boosting BP with Merchants or Alfyn Concocts, etc.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

You guys know that the Journal menu has a section for sidequests if you press R while in the main quests section, right? It doesn't help for finding things but it sure does help for figuring out where to go back to when you randomly find quest stuff elsewhere in your travels.

Unrelated, but I found a cave with a random jerk and his trained gigantic snake in it, killed them after a couple tries, and ended up with a Transcendent Bow of Shadows, which is both a cool name and a pretty strong bow.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Yeah but I found him before I even knew it was a sidequest. You can't actually fight him until you get info about the quest though, so that sucked a bit.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

fezball posted:

Runelord has a +JP passive, and you can get an accessory that boosts JP after finishing Ophilias story by going back to the kids from her earlier chapter.

Starseer has that passive, not Runelord.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Well gently caress me. I loved the hell out of this game, but there's no way I'm gonna put in ANOTHER 40 hours with the expectation I'll get blocked from the end-game poo poo.

Stupid question but you don't have said NPC Guided/Allured, do you?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Just make someone else your Dancer for awhile, then.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You can do them as early as 35 if you know the strats. I posted a huge paragraph about Runemaster earlier which is the most difficult one and I don't wanna take up a whole page just for that. Starseer and Sorcerer can be cheesed with using the Dancer divine skill to cast reflect on your entire party. Warlord cheese requires you to have already beaten Runemaster and equip it onto Tressa, use Rune Transfer to cast Sidestep on the whole party.

Also god drat some of these side missions are toughies. I feel like I have all the puzzle pieces for some of them but I just don't know how they fit together. Key example is the one girl who wants to be a singer but can't leave her dad - I found her dad and I found the moneylender, I just don't know how to thread the needle between the three.

*As early as the low to mid 20s provided you have the necessary skills, but it'll take awhile and be fraught with danger.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I get a strat for Runelord? Just got Starseer so figured it was next and welp he's a big fan of naptime and I'm not

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860038&userid=117149#post486256587

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Is anyone else just sitting on all the nuts they've found? I'm terrified the moment I use them I'll realize that I've cut myself off from some far better use.

I'm sitting on so many nuts.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

It's probably not optimal but I'm really liking Cyrus as a Starseer. He gets full elemental coverage and the ability to equip the Rune Glaive for the big EAtk boost. He also gets a nice hat.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Some Numbers posted:

I was literally coming to discuss Starseer, because I just beat the boss. I'm excited about JP Up, but not super psyched to pay 2K JP for it.

Is there a character who uses Starseer super well? Because if so, I'd rather get JP Up on them, so I don't "waste" my JP.

I've mentioned it once before but I like Cyrus as a Starseer since it gives him full elemental coverage plus some utility options. A couple of the buffs Starseer has access to are really powerful, like increasing BP gain, the multiple different buffs all in one spell, and the one that lets you stop an enemy's ability to buff itself. Starseer gets 1000 times better if you have a Dancer with the Dancer divine skill, though, since now those great effects can spread to everyone with one cast.

Edit: Also using JP on Starseer is in no way a waste for any character, as one of the passives it gets is among the best damage boosters in the game and another is a huge help for clearing generic enemy fights first turn. The last passive is sort of lame, though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Some Numbers posted:

OH poo poo, I totally missed that BP Eater existed. :stare: Does that apply to the whole team or just the Starseer?

Each character needs it as far as I know.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I'm playing Primrose's chapter 4 and it is such a fuckin snoozefest, which is a shame considering the first three chapters were alright.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Okay, the reveal of who Tressa's diary belonged to before was actually pretty cool, although I wonder if it will tie into the overarching endgame scenario or if it's just its own thing.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

This guy's channel has some nice short vids with builds that do the big damage and also a few showing off some other things. There are late game and post game spoilers there though.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTEedtte4XYZwqbjQ1YoDUw

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

These drop rates for the Battle-tested gear are pretty unfortunate, but at least the setup for winning those fights first turn is pretty easy to set up provided you've hit mid 70s like me.

Regarding the channel I linked before and one of the videos already mentioned, I went through the list of weapons to see which ones increase damage for a particular element (apparently a 1.3x multiplier):

Fire: Harald's Sword, Heathcote's Dagger
Ice: Battle-tested Axe, Absolute Zero Staff
Lightning: Lizardking's Axe, Battle-tested Axe
Wind: Tradewinds Spear, Primeval Bow of Storms
Light: Bishop's Staff
Dark: Adamantine Dagger

Apparently these multipliers stack, too, so Lightning, Light, and Dark kinda get the short end of the stick here.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

DLC Inc posted:

how the gently caress did you do this? I only just figured "hey let's try fighting Starseer" randomly with a party that was mid 30's plus Therion at 43 and I was getting 1-hit with 7000 damage poo poo.

It's mostly knowing what passives to focus on earning so you can get them ASAP, then executing whatever particular cheese plan works on that boss. For instance, the strategy I've mentioned before for the Runemaster I did with a party in the high 20s/low 30s, and I could've done it earlier if I'd known to focus my JP spending on certain subclasses for particular passives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I have not had much time to play 2 yet, but so far it feels like more of 1 which is fine with me.