Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I think the Aeon fighters from the Paradox have the distinction of being the best ship-agnostic hanger pets in the game so long as you don’t have the Superior Area Denial trait.

The Paradox itself is a lovely science dreadnaught that suffers from being a time ship released before Temporal Operative was added to the game. Enjoy your gravity wells and DRBs, time loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

Yeah they really should have given it the full temporal spec when they gave it to the Wells and such. Same with Annorax which is even more hilarious without it.

gently caress I forgot about that. Hilarious.

I imagine Cryptic’s hesitation would come to not wanting to set a precedent for substantially changing ships after release. I know if I owned a T6 Excelsior, for example, and I saw Temp Ops abilities added to the Annorax I’d be pushing pretty hard for the same treatment so that I could fly her apart then.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Stonewalljack posted:

From what I understand from the DPS league discord, the fighter squadrons with pulse cannons are specifically bugged in their interaction with superior area denial (SAD) trait. Two hangars of To'duj blue fighters have been parsed at 140k dps. If you are fed, blue scorpion fighter squadrons parse a little lower, like 120-130k I've heard. The SAD trait is cheap for klingons, so I bought it to play with on an alt; when you hit a firing mode the squadrons light up the screen spraying a ton of cannon fire. It works better with the blue squadrons, apparently because upgraded versions lose the bugged pulse cannons.

There may be a maths bug as well but I think a big part of the damage increase is that pulse cannons have 360 degree firing arcs while beam arrays, cannons and DHCs all require some element of pointing the ship at the enemy. And STO’s fighter AI is extremely stupid.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh sweet, something to actually get the next time I have a free T6 token from an event.

Do not. In terms of seating it’s one of the worst ships in the game. And it doesn’t even have a pilot seat to do the whole ‘fly her apart’ ability named after a thing Sulu said in one of the movies.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/l81ay2/can_i_ask_a_quick_dumb_favor/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Hey guys being a community manager and announcing progressively worse monetisation attempts is hard, but what REALLY makes it challenging is being tagged on Reddit and having to load a thread.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Only just got around to playing the anniversary missions and oh dear they are bad.

Game dead.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Asimo posted:

To be fair to Cryptic, having arbitrary and inane plot swerves that completely ignore prior characterization and consequences for the sake of forced drama is just being 100% accurate to Discovery's writing.

To say nothing of Picard.

Bring back exploration missions but have the Lower Decks writer’s room draft all of the scenarios.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Wizard of the Deep posted:

STO is an 11 year old game, based on a 15 year old game, which is based on the notes Cryptic took with them on a 17 year old game. It's a minor wonder we don't occasionally just find ourselves on fire.

They patched that mission out.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Patched up the game so that I could experience just how bad the final episodes of this poo poo arc are. The game hard crashed to desktop.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Wizard of the Deep posted:

ETA: I guess one potential upside is moving some of the internal talent back to STO & NW.

Borticus has been retweeting job ads from other developers. I don’t think any of that internal talent will be continuing.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

They're 100% right, but holy poo poo can you even imagine the community reaction if they had a story arc that was you peacefully negotiating a trade deal and then delivering humanitarian relief supplies to a world devastated by a natural disaster, where the problems you overcome are about equitable distribution of aid rather than fighting off pirates or something? Just an entire episode chain where all it is is figuring out puzzles and talking interested parties into cooperating.

The STO reddits and forums would loving BURN.

I would loving love this - first because it’s closer to the actual spirit of Star Trek and second because it would be the first time in over a year a player character would have any actual agency in the game’s story.

Ironically The Old Republic, as a BioWare-lite RPG, gets closer to doing TNG-style Space Diplomacy than STO does. It’s a very big missed opportunity.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Next meta event starts next week. It's No Win Scenario.

Yeah but what’s the event

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Just checking in on this game after a long hiatus - feel like smashing out a few patrols while my new baby drifts off to sleep.

Did they ever put in a way of transferring purchases from PC to console? I have an Xbox but my computer is an iPad now.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

fullTimeLurker posted:

OH man, I just finished playing up through the Iconian War on my Temporal Recruit; and drat, why is it so much better than anything they've released since? Not only is the entire storyline fun and engaging; but all the previous Episodes all tie in to it as well, while still having their own satisfying conclusions. I wish they would do another well-written multi-episode ark like that again.
So much more enjoyable than an any of the Terran storylines or the super boring Discovery stuff. (except for the Solanae Dyson sphere crap where they force you to pilot lovely ships that take 20 minutes to kill the enemies they throw against you...)

Although I haven't gotten to it, I'll be curious to play through Yesterday's War/Future Proof again, because I remember disliking those though I don't remember why.

The time war stuff is pretty hit or miss but the arc after that (Victory is Life) is hands-down the strongest in the game.

Still working up to play the new stuff I’ve missed over the last couple of years on console. It’s kind of refreshing not having access to my hanger of war crime starships. I can just be a simple campaign flying a simple starship - at least until this year’s anniversary event rolls around.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cythereal posted:

You just missed it, alas.

Oh hey mate!

I thought I saw something about it being delayed on console but honestly no dramas if it’s not. Cruising around in a mirror T5 Sovereign (I hope they’re still available and cheap on the Exchange?) should scratch the itch enough for me.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Tigey posted:

Reddit is in uproar over this. Personally, I'm more or less fine with it:
-It provides a new way of acquiring old event ships as accountwide unlocks. People have been screaming for this for years. The Monkey's Paw has provided!
-I personally own all of the ships in it already, so have absolutely zero reason to buy, thus saving me a bunch of zen!
-This is clearly an experiment by Cryptic to see if they can push the boundaries further and remonetise old event content. I guarantee someone on the staff wrote a big business case proposing this, claiming it would bring in money for zero work/outlay. I don't think it will be that successful in practicer though, not because the business model is flawed, but because the specific ships in this one are way too recent (all from the last few years) and frankly none are that great (Temer Raider is nice, but not essential). In practice, if they repeat this (a big if), the next bundle will correspondingly be more generous, probably including at least one very desirable old event ships as a choice - such as the Bajoran Interceptor or Breen T6 Plesh Tral...
-As they are trying to test the waters and avoid annoying people too much, the bundle only has 3 ships rather than 4 - this means you can get all of them at once, rather than having to buy it twice to get the last one.

I don’t have any of the Alliance ships (or uniform) on my console account and would love to have them because I love the aesthetic. I do not $200 (Australia tax) want them though. Jesus gently caress Cryptic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

So has anyone formed any opinions yet on S3 Picard?

It’s what the show should have been since the beginning. Do not skip.