Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Metalshark posted:

February Marvel Solicits are out. https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-solicitations-february-2020/

BLACK CAT #9
JED MACKAY (W) • KRIS ANKA (A) •

KRIS. ANKA. :bisonyes:

Heck yeah. Black Cat is such a strange book, and hopefully this art will get people to actually read it again. The Batroc issue was one of my favorite things in a while.

It is such a good fun read, but my sales for it have fallen so dramatically since the first issue. I assume being a 10th Spider related book is a lot of the issue, I was shocked when they announced the Mary Jane book after it (also a fun read).

I guess one of my biggest problems is that Marvel has so many books, and books that are also good, but it is still way too many. Even the X-men relaunch, which has been easily the most successful launch of anything I have had in years, is starting to lose people when they figured out instead of an incredible weekly book it was now 6 books that come out every two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Here's hoping it turns out better for those kids than Avengers Academy

It is a shame they went to the trouble of making them all interesting characters, then killed 5/6th of them less than two years later.

:smith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Huh. I only remember Hazmat showing up randomly in Ms Marvel. Although to be fair, they are basically dead if they are in so few books I can't remember their continued existence.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Does Scarlet Witch have the mutant power to do magic? Or did she go to Wizard school?

Thinking about it, are her and Quicksilver still mutants? I know they changed it because of the movie rights stuff but I assume they will quietly not mention that again.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I loved the Aaron Doctor Strange run about magic being destroyed because it really drives home the idea that there are nearly zero Marvel magic characters (and none anyone cares about outside Strange).

I am really excited about Magic school book though. Having a place to introduce and develop new characters is something desperately needed, and generally only the X-Men bother at all. Avenger Academy, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Generation X are some of my favorite books ever.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Hickman said he's not introducing any new mutants in his X-Men or the rest of the books in the line while he's in the driver's seat.

:smith:

That is unfortunate but not very surprising. Hickman always plots his books from start to finish before he starts writing, so he definitely going to tell the story he was to tell then ride off into the sunset with everything mostly put back the way it was before he came.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Until Hickman resurrects Mammomax and puts him in a book his run will only manage to be great and not legendary.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Good news from X-Force #2!

(lower left corner, unless I'm mixing him up with someone else)

:aaaaa:

They... They did it. The mad bastards.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

drat I sure do love more Marvel events!

:shepicide:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Props to Valkyrie for bringing back Cardiac, Faiza (who is always a treat) and freaking Manakin from Alpha Flight.

Heck yeah, it was a delight to see Cardiac (as always) but Manakin was totally out of left field.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Geoff Johns chortles darkly.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Valkyre is good. Props for Jane's boss. Always great to see people who can make the most basic deductions.

Yeah, this was a great scene. I have really been surprised by how good this book has been.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Are they still pushing Miles and Gwen?

Not really. They both still have books of course, but they are both almost back where they were as far as sales. Bumps from movies rarely last more than a month or so, and then everyone goes back to reading what they were reading before. Moving Gwens book to the 616 definitely cut away part of what made it a cool different read.

I wonder why Marvel thinks we need another Gwen Stacy mini series coming up. The MJ one is a delightful read, but locally it doesn't get much traction. Marvel gonna Marvel though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hydra Cap takes over all of America, again! But this time we get the long awaited introduction of Tiger Wylde... Who later is involved with this summers huge Doctor Doom event!

Honestly, I generally like the Marvel events but at this point why would anyone bother buying a tie in.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Tie-ins are often the best part.

This is actually often true, but most people can't deal with the spike in their budget if they try and read them all. War of the Realms and Secret Wars both had a lot of fun tie ins that were great reads. I much prefer a tie in miniseries than issues in an existing book (for ease of skiping).

If you can't tell me the entire story in one miniseries and I need to read some particular tie in to understand what is going on? You hosed up. Tie in can be great, but they need to never be necessary by design.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well that return to the classic costume lasted all of five minutes. I guess this means Strikeforce is over, since the writer specifically reverted Jess back to her old costume out of her personal preference.

Good. Strikeforce was such a disappointment.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Heh.

It's the last normal "new comics day" of the year. Also being reported as the biggest diamond invoice week in ages.

Can confirm. My invoice was painful.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

site posted:

it is kinda funny how the final issues of king thor and history landed on the same day and both end with the post-616 universe being born

e: they fuckin

Cool yet another lesbian couple. Imagine a world where two named male characters were allowed to have such a scene.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

site posted:

i mean, i get it, but im pretty sure teddy and wiccan were making out just a month or two ago in deaths head and also raz and the new guy in agents of atlas last month iirc

Oh yeah, it isn't a problem itself... It is always just really annoying more than anything. Deaths Head was a fun read, but it isn't like Hulkling had been in a book in years. Wiccan gets to pop up when they need a random magic character sometimes.

Raz owns though. Glad someone remembered he exists.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just let my man Iceman be in more books. Problem solved.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

site posted:

read marauders...in fact i think bobby was making out with someone in that too

Best X-men title right now, easy.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Next week's Thor is extremely cool.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Archyduchess posted:

Look I get it but for the sake of appearances I just want to remind everyone that barring grey areas like very old stuff and possibly (?) manga scanlations of unlicensed stuff (????) talking about getting stuff or reading stuff illegally (one way or the other) is a no-no. Do what you need to do but please wait a few days to talk about it until it's out out.

Oh sure. I just work at a comic shop so it is just books we have sitting in the back. If talking about unreleased books is against the rules, no worries.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am actually super annoyed that I have most of the order still in its boxes. I decided to not unpack and inventory everything early, because I would just have to pack and unpack them all again when I actually pull the order. I am glad that I uncovered Thor when digging for reorders in those boxes.

It feels like a pretty nice continuation of what Aaron was doing with Thor while also feeling distinct. Thor grunting a little as he lifts the hammer now that he is king is just such a nice little character moment. Head and shoulders above his Guardians book.

I will say that I am right on the edge about being sick of him always using the same characters in every single book. Silver Surfer is here fresh out of Silver Surfer Black, and fits. I guess why not throw in Cosmic Ghost Rider. :shrug:

Star Wars #1 also good. Soule knows what he is doing. The strangest thing about this week is that DC doesn't have a big thing to kick off the year. Especially when they released nothing last week.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Man, these Dawn of X trades are the worst idea Marvel has had in a while.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

I like it. All events should have collected editions done in this way.

Not the delightful hardcover of House and Powers. That thing is absolutely wonderful.

Instead of normal graphic novels by title, instead they are doing a Dawn of X Vol 1 with all the #1 issues... OK, sure. But then a volume 2 with all the number 2s, and so on.

So to read the first arc of any given X title a customer will need 6 $17.99 books. And they all come out very close together because each book comes out twice a month. This X-men relaunch has been huge for my store, but this is going to really hurt long term.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Roth posted:

There's going to be regular trades for each title later on.

I assumed this would have to happen, so that is good to know. Not sure if I will stock these though. Just seem so bad.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

My problem with the Dawn of X trades is mostly from a retailer perspective. The X books are so popular that all my customers who would normally trade wait on them are actually buying the single issues, which is fantastic. So people who actually read comics regularly won't need to buy them in graphic novel form (more or less).

My concern is for people who come in totally out of the blue and just want to read "A new X-men book". I would obviously sell them the graphic novels that collect just one title, because they can get at least a single story about a coherent group of characters. Getting someone to buy 6 1/6ths of a story? Dumb. I will admit it would be better if Fallen Angels wasn't garbage, and Excalibur is right on the edge even though it is about characters I like.

I am a huge fan of Hickman and the X-men so all of this is perfectly designed to appeal to me. Sales for all of the books have been better than X-men books have been in a very long time especially considering how well all the titles are doing rather than just the primary X-Title. People are starting to be surprised that all the books are twice a month and are starting to think about if they really need all 6 titles. Them slowing down is inevitable, but I think some are just going to crumble into ruin quickly.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

site posted:

is thor yet another cates book about knull

:)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

site posted:

i envision cates in a jim starlin situation where he just forsakes being able to do any other marvel book to poo poo out knull ogns until something happens to piss off both parties and he quits

Extremely same. I am a huge fan of most of the stuff Cates has done at Marvel, but I am over it. Knull peaked as a cool sword in the God Butcher story from years before.

Loved the new Thor, other than rolling my eyes at Cosmic Ghost Rider being in it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

At the end of the day we are all just infected by the carnage symbiote living in a society.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Does anyone remember the Poisons, which were like alternate universe Venoms?

Does anyone remember Marvel Apes?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

Cool, thanks. I’m intrigued to see how Ewing manages to steer the book in that direction.

One of the big strengths of the book is that it is changed the premise a few times, and that really avoids the trap that most horror books fall into.

Dario Agger is so good.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Unfortunately, all this analysis is pointless. We know Peter Parker made a living selling photos to the newspaper less than 20 years ago, so the Marvel universe is obviously a whimsical fantasy land.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Did Peter ever get his post graduate degrees back?

Didn't he get busted for "plagiarizing" Doctor Octopus once he got his body back, and was stripped of his doctorate in disgrace?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Double posting because the end of Superior Spider-Man was total horseshit and I am still mad.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

No Strong Guy, no sale.

This actually looks extremely good. Glad to see the gay characters being given a separate but equal team.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Working on my Previews order this morning and shaking my head at all these X-men books (which I am excited to read, to be fair). Glad some things never change at Marvel.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Wanderer posted:

In retrospect, I don't feel like we talk enough about how every Peter David ongoing series for the last 20 years or so gets and stays really existential and weird around issue #12.

This X-Factor issue about Siryn being in denial about Banshee being dead is one of my favorite single issues ever. Enough X-men get resurrected (even later in the series!) that assuming he will come back to life is pretty understandable.

Even the 90s X-Factor he wrote is way under rated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How much Eric O’Grady are you including in this book this is very important to me.

:same: