Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oh yeah loving cool I love replacing public goods that everyone can use for free with for-profit companies.

Imagine how loving hard it would be to get public libraries off the ground today. Like if we didn't have any and you wanted to start one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

other people posted:

but china is communism and i was told that's the opposite of capitalism. im so confused :confused:

China is hyper-capitalist as long as you don't get in the party's way

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Good Dog posted:

The Miami Marlins tried to (or did do, who knows) that when Dade County tried to sue them for part of their profits since they paid for the Marlin's new baseball stadium. The Marlins then said that they couldn't be sued at the county level and it had to be a federal case because they were an international company based in the British Virgin Islands.

People went out and the only thing that they have is a single PO box. No capital, equipment or labor or anything like that.

https://deadspin.com/marlins-man-visits-marlins-off-shore-corporate-home-fi-1825266414

The entire loving state of Delaware is empty PO boxes that businesses claim as their corporate HQ

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Delaware is one of only six states that has never been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives. Makes you think. :thunk:

The others are Arkansas, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Vermont.

Man Arkansas has a great dive bar with one of the best burgers I've ever had

You know the one I'm talking about. Yes that one. They serve burgers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So do the fish pills work or what?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

5500 forms were due last week for every company that offers a 401K, and you can get some valuable data from the disclosures

Search - https://www.efast.dol.gov/portal/app/disseminatePublic?execution=e2s1

From Amazon's -

22,040 fired in 2017, all having worked there less than 3 years (the threshold for retirement vesting)

Isn't Amazon one of those Mad Max workplaces where they cull the "bottom 10%" and everyone in the corporate office is out to knife each other to make sure they stay out of the bottom 10% and their enemies get put in it?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

My usual limit is going to the occasional coworker happy hour.

Perfect time to break out the union pamphlets

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I mean there's got to be a way to make it work without management firing everyone.

Takes about 15-20 years of beating people and getting beat up

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Anchor cable for a ship makes a lot more sense.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ate all the Oreos posted:

Well I'm sure this won't happen any time soon and the totally healthy and sustainable explosive exponential growth we're currently going through will just continue forever.

You're channeling my chud boss right now. We're looking at a decade of prosperity at least. This is the new 1950s.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pound_Coin posted:

There's a great episode of uk undercover boss, I think it was poundland or similar, but it has two outstanding moments; the first happens shortly after the CEO is talking about how proud he is of their knock-off brands, giving people a like brand experience without the price. He then witnesses customers and staff referring to it as "knock off tat" and is crushed.

The second happens in the end post reveal interviews, one of the stores had a upstairs stockroom and a broken lift, when the two old dears he had in from that shop realised who he was they tore into him saying how dare he think he knew how hard this jobs were after one day and one delivery when they've been there years with no lift.

Liz and Matt Bruenig did a podcast about Undercover Boss arguing it was the most revolutionary show on television because the CEOs look like twats and all of the problems of the working poor that it shows stem DIRECTLY from how much their jobs suck.

And the CEO fixes the problems for like, one person who floated into their orbit during the show but it leaves a big unanswered question of "Well what about all the other line cooks who can't afford rent?"

https://soundcloud.com/ebruenig

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The continued existence of QR codes at all outside of ticket-taking is a weird capitalism quirk. I think I maybe scanned one in my lifetime, to test out the QR code app that I downloaded. I've certainly never seen anyone else scanning them.

But some class of marketing person somewhere added "QR codes" to their toolkit a decade ago, and they're still peddling the same bullshits about them to upper management, who have no idea how the rabble lives so you can lie to them at will about how to market to the rabble.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

deoju posted:

Some police departments do this poo poo with 'bait bikes.' They also make sure the bicycle is valuable enough to bump the charge from petty theft to grand larceny. It's a hosed up practice. You aren't stopping crime if you are the ones creating it.

My university did this, but in a way that actually stopped bike theft. They completely flooded the school with bait bikes and let everyone know they had trackers on them. There were spots you didn't even need to lock your bike up, you could just park it in the big pile of unlocked bait bikes in front of a building.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What was his doctorate in again?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Marenghi posted:

Meet a water sommelier. Visit his restaurant of 100 different kinds of bottled water which cost up to $20 a bottle.

They're all from the hose out back

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Whooping Crabs posted:

Screw yelp I use google reviews which aren't censored and will show up on google's resuts list before stupid loving yelp

Google reviews are how you really gently caress a business up, btw. If anyone ever pisses you off.

A whole lot more people see the Google reviews than the Yelp reviews.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Eat the rich.

gently caress this is going to soon be all entry level capital one bullshit cards teens need to build credit isn't it?

I think you mean this is going to soon be how everyone everywhere will get paid because the card company will kickback to the employers

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

g0lbez posted:

My credit is literally too terrible to open a bank account so guess what I get to use lol

It's pretty impressive to be too big a risk to give a checking account to

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You'd have to sell Amazon to get the cash though

Oh no?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ take it to GiP who loving cares what the YJGM did on your FOB back in the poo poo

Huff some loving capitalism

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

Anyone ever feel the urge to kill rising up past the numbness and suddenly know exactly how a spree shooter probably feels for a few moments?

:chloe:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

What's a picture of someone's summation of someone else's tweet worth?

You're already on twitter. There's a button that says "retweet" right there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yeah click the pic to see the additional imagery

:lol:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I think homeless people should go to prison but to avoid making it too harsh, they're allowed to leave and return to the prison whenever they want

Obviously you'd have to build special prisons just for that purpose

Trick Silicon Valley into building apartments for the homeless by telling them they're "disrupting" the prison industry by building prisons without bars, guards or locks and people are allowed to come and go as they please.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Saw this today. I don't know what scam they're running, but I know it's a :thermidor: situation

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

It's basically like buying food stamps. Poor people can sometimes get things but need money

The only one being scammed here is insurance companies but the situation is definitely evidence of a lot of things going very republican

Oh, they're up on the same material and style as the "We buy homes for cash" signs all over town, which are some shitbags turning everything into AirBnBs, so I assumed this was some lovely stuff too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

London used to have a bunch of professional sewer scavengers who would walk through the Byzantine labyrinth of the city’s sewer tunnels and underground rivers in waders, looking for valuable stuff people had intentionally or otherwise dropped down the toilet

I think that was Baloogan's job

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think those 5-minute increment time sheets were literally what the TPS reports in Office Space were

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:lol:

Gonna get pitched Apple products by a hologram of yourself in 5 years.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

I think I mentioned it in this thread before but my last job was at a company that pretty much only existed to give the rich owner something to do to feel useful. At least doing something dumb like that redistributed his wealth a bit I guess...

Oh hey, I think you had my current job

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

I don't know, didn't the term itself originate from the exact opposite? Or maybe they just hated being killed more than they loved the killing.

Yeah, there was essentially a work stoppage in Vietnam among the rank and file soldiers, and any officers who attempted to force them to march out deeper into the woods and find some Vietnamese people to fight would get hosed up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Also you can't get helium by distilling atmospheric gas, once helium is released it rapidly rises up and completely out of the atmosphere, in fact completely out of Earth's gravitational pull since it's not strong enough to retain the light atom and it's slowly blown away by solar wind.

Once the helium on earth has all been vented, it's gone forever, not even transformed into something else like other resources are, just gone.

Ah, we can probably make more. Just put 2 hydrogens together, bam, helium

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Mousetrap for Millennials is pretty much unchanged except instead of mice your game piece is a Mr Monopoly and instead of a trap you're building a guillotine.

Man I drunkenly described this exact thing at the bar last week, except instead of Mr Monopoly it was obvious caricatures of famous a-hole capitalists.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I'm pretty sure I cribbed this from an almost word for word similar post in this thread but really its just a natural conclusion.

Oh I bet I stole it from this thread too then

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/V3ronica012/status/974670745317109760

Edit: It might not be clear from the photo, but the machine doesn't take any money. It demands hugs and spits out Cokes if you hug it.

It's the start of some kind of nightmare for sure.

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Nov 14, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

the amazing thing is sheltering the homeless in affordable/free housing isn't that expensive and would also get them out of sight of the bourgeoisie.

Utah does this, because for all their many problems, Mormons do seem to care about actually doing things Jesus said to do.

It works super well because not only do homeless get a home, social services knows where to find them and help them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Put all the unemployed people to work building houses for the homeless, bam society solved

You've constructed this like it's a joke but....

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I wonder what it's actually like to make your living running social media accounts to get clicks and boost brands. Surely some people on this board are doing it.

It's actually loving impossible and a huge time sink for most businesses, which are small and local so their reach is limited. Even if they did manage to go viral it wouldn't do them much good. Like whoopty poo poo a bunch of people who don't live in my service area love me.