Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I take really good care of my books and rarely reread so we can't rule out that he read everything once and then Ayn Rand a hundred times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Calico Heart posted:

lol I guess ousting and executing the leaders of several sovereign nations and replacing their elected-leaders with puppet rulers and even attempting direct invasion is a "culture war" that is acceptable.
Dude just plugged “kulturkampf” into Google Translate, cut him some slack

yes I know that wasn’t the nazis, work with me here

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Faded Mars posted:

I've seen articles on this before, and I've always found it baffling.

If you're not going to spend the money, why bother making it? Is it really just a game to them about making numbers go higher? And if there's so much excess they could do without, why don't they, I don't know, pay the people working under them more?

Although I guess that's the whole point of this thread.
Warren just really likes making numbers go up, and also happens to be really good at it, as far as I can tell. He also likes McDonald’s so he’s all, why pay more.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The capitalism.png is below you.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dreddout posted:

Think tanks get koch money so they can twist the English language into knots to serve right wing agendas
I will freely admit that Frank Luntz is really good at what he does.

He's a loving piece of poo poo and I hate what he does, but drat if he doesn't end up coming up with some real focus-tested humdingers that stick with the CHUDs.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mushika posted:

I could use a big ole dose of really big butt syndrome. I am lacking in that area.
excuse me it's called steatopygia please show some respect

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

I buy an extra bottle of wine because capitalism is a two bottle problem
nobody has yet solved the three bottle problem

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If he really wants his name to live forever he should shovel all the nation's money into putting a man on mars, because the only thing i - a uk person - know about JFK is "he did the moon landing" (even if he didn't get to see it)

Nobody would ever remember any of the collusion stuff or any of the other poo poo he's done
let me help you with that so you now know twice as many things about JFK:

he hosed a lot

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
love too spend hours refreshing my homepage

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shame Boy posted:

What like, back in the 1400's or something?
we didn't really nail the veneer of opulence until like the 1870s tbf

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shame Boy posted:

Every time he's mentioned or cameos in a movie or TV show I guarantee he paid out the nose for the privilege. The best part is I don't think most people even remember, like he was in Iron Man 2 but literally nobody I've mentioned that to believed me, even though they'd seen the movie. That scene just kinda disappeared from their memory of it.
holy poo poo was he really

what was he like, at the racetrack before the actually interesting parts

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
First one actually owns, make those kids solve Traveling Salesman Problems and then you can teach 'em about the kinds of things computers are good for vs not good for and what humans are good at vs not good at.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

IAMKOREA posted:

Why would Dr. Smogg be less than pleased about something happening outside the battery limits to a waste stream? That's a stupid candy.
Dr. Smogg is also in favor of smog because it sounds like his name and he has a big ego, clearly.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
would love to pick that person's brain about all the fun they had with their corporate-mandated "trying to get the youth to engage with BRAND" times

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Marketing is a lot like economics where it should be very telling that the entire sector has gone on for decades with fundamentally incorrect assumptions about pretty much everything and no one has noticed.
No no advertising totally works because it makes you think about the product

(the people saying this are not the people who have actually read the studies about when the nebulous concept of "thinking about the product" actually works - because, yes, it does if you're staring at a wall of identical toothpaste or gammon-rear end presidential candidates, but they're not thinking that.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shame Boy posted:

How old are your kids, cuz VR can gently caress up their eyes permanently if they're too young.
I hadn't heard this, tell me more, I don't have kids and won't anytime soon but I'm still super curious

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

T-man posted:

e: pronounced dought geeief
Isn't that the test for replicants

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shame Boy posted:

I also bought these stupid things, and a while back I posted it in a thread that was explicitly about not pissing away money on dumb poo poo and a bunch of people immediately bought em.

I bet some of y'all will too, so let me just warn you: they suck as actual kitchen utensils, way too flimsy, but they look adorable on my counter :colbert:
was that in the 2018 BWM thread because I am pretty sure I have seen these adorable fuckers before

also someone did post the big train printout because you could google it and it was something like the fourth result for "train schematic" but I can't find it right now

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

226 posted:

Foodfight!
oh man I can't not post it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmoQdgSS7vA

You must be Leonard, the Manager.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I wanted to like David Graeber's work but Debt: The First 5000 Years was like slogging through molasses, are his later books more lively?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
this Gabe Succman guy sounds pretty worth listening to actually

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shear Modulus posted:

he's pikettys protege
Makes sense. Has he written anything intended for non-macroeconomists?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cakesmith handyman posted:

It can be remotely turned off if you don't pay your subscription, so it continues to perform capitalism even after you've paid thousands of dollars for it. That's the only difference.
It also came with a "subscription" or whatever to play licensed music that streamed while you rode for a while, except now they can't renew the licenses so you get royalty-free crap instead.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jerry Cotton posted:

:laffo: I didn't think I'd find out any more "America fundamentally sucks in ways I never even imagined and they just categorically fail at even the basic stuff" tid-bits on the forums but there you go.
Yeah, it's a line item on your pay stub and everything, it's "amazing".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jerry Cotton posted:

Competing teams killed... lol I even forget the name of the hugeass chain of stores :newlol:
Sears? I mean that was the one where the scummy hedge fund guy was an explicit Randian. But it wasn't the only one.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sir Tonk posted:

this owns cause feinstein sold a bucnh of stuff that went up a shitload
yeah the double whammy of "insider trading" and "guessed really poorly" makes me lol

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Krowley posted:

He's an intelligence officer in a gestapo coat, the whole mindpowers thing might just be a psyops propaganda effort. I believe it as much as I believe that the bugs bombed Buenos Aeris.
They didn't even bomb it, they dropped an asteroid on it. Came all the way from Klendathu without any usable munitions? Buenos Aires was absolutely an inside job.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
this D&D alignment chart is weird

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shame Boy posted:

I miss MXC, bring back MXC
https://twitch.tv/onlymxc

this person actually has the license to stream MXC 24/7 on twitch, got partner and ad revenue sharing worked out and everything

sure your post was four pages ago and also this is the capitalism thread but work with me here

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I actually just learned the channel existed last night so it was a real baader-meinhoff moment to see MXC come up here immediately after that. That's life.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shame Boy posted:

https://twitter.com/zaws/status/1331410308246753289/photo/1

One weird trick to live for free in your parents' apartment on zero income: actually have income, but it's real dumb so it doesn't count
https://twitter.com/runclepennybags/status/1331620550289002497

this reply made me laugh

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lib and let die posted:

i don't understand any of this poo poo, but if the market is so fragile that loving reddit can do stuff to it, maybe we shouldn't have the market?
I think the automated halts are built in so that the fast trading robots can't make their owners go bankrupt

and they just happen to also benefit reddit idiots

note that there is zero regulation of fast trading robots, preferring instead to regulate the possibility of them being bad for their owners

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Crazycryodude posted:

Man tell it to the assholes who rewired their brains 50,000 years ago, I can't do anything about the fact that my 197x-great-granduncle created a race of lobotomized wolves that need human contact to feel happy, what are we supposed to do put them all in a zoo or do a doggie genocide or something
written like someone who's gonna go blow up the lab in Siberia doing the same thing with foxes, you better not cause they're fuckin adorable looking

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

CharlestheHammer posted:

there is a toy set that is just a grocery check out station.

that’s more depressing than a work from home thing
you can pry my childrens' museum supermarket from my cold dead hands

sure it's technically capitalist propaganda but I loved it when I was five and last time I was at that museum a few years ago it was exactly as crowded as I remember it being then

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Bloop posted:

Jesus christ we really do deserve our suffering don't we
it got shut down for money laundering, which it technically could have been

but also lmao it was the best idea for separating lazy people from cash

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I know they did not do it to piss off australian gammons who feel strongly about vegemite and also brown people, but it's a pleasant side effect of an otherwise totally generic corporate thing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SpacePig posted:

I dunno, it seems to be worth a lot of money.
one might say it's some sort of racket

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pentyne posted:

This makes eating frosting out of the jar look healthy.
you may also like this chocolate coated lollipop :)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Someone find that comic that has some kids going to a library then shows a bookstore going out of business.
it was Hi & Lois but I'm too lazy to find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Len posted:

We had a new person starting today. She walked in, saw that the order entry room is not socially distanced, and that most of the office doesn't wear masks right

She quit within 10 minutes because she accurately guessed this place is a covid loving hell
fuckin props to her

my wife had to quit a lovely temp job because her environment was equally bad, I cannot imagine quitting an actual job that took interviews and poo poo to get, the spine on that lady, seriously, good job her