Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1018023161282093056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
but china is communism and i was told that's the opposite of capitalism. im so confused :confused:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
what. butter comes in different standard sizes? huh

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

comedyblissoption posted:

also the researchers who invented insulin treatment for diabetics and the polio vaccine literally made their works publicly available for free with the intent of doing the most public good instead of focusing on trying to strike it rich

morons were probably suffering from syphilis. smdh

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
um no, iron lungs cost money

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
i moved to the EU from the US and the EU is definitely better because i can't read the news and don't understand what they are saying on tv.

also the healthcare and public transport/services and cost of living and weather and food and holidays and PTO, etc

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
i think some of you don't "get" the capitalism.png thread

https://twitter.com/Meg_Cramer/status/1072062176859512832

other people has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Dec 11, 2018

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

bike tory posted:

I've had subs tell me that the work is how teaching should be - walk in the door at 8:30, leave 3:30, no paperwork, planning or responsibility beyond the time you're in the classroom, etc. But I was faced with the choice recently and still decided to go back to a fixed position, subs don't get the same enduring relationships with kids or ever get treated like members of staff etc.

Also $18/hr seems realy low, where do you live? In NZ the going rate is more than twice that (although the currency is only worth about 3/4), and we pay our teachers crap compared to the rest of the OECD.

lol teachers in the DPRK are paid more than your average teacher in the US

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
its packaged like a drat iphone

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Half of England Is Owned by Less Than 1% of Its Population, Researcher Says https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/19/world/europe/england-land-inequality.html

This is fine.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
The UK is doing well this year.

Are You a Very English Butler? The U.K. Government Needs You https://nyti.ms/2vdoWdm

quote:

LONDON — Of the current vacancies in the British government’s hundreds of job listings for policy and strategy advisers, one stands out. Wanted: two butlers.

Duties include delivering “the highest quality V.I.P. hospitality for all government departments and ministers” and managing the government’s wine cellar.

Maximum annual salary: 30,000 pounds (not quite $40,000).

U.K. Defends Buying $16 Million New York Penthouse for Diplomat https://nyti.ms/2YmL2HI

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
caffeine is a drug
:goonsay:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Iceland is a small island nation. That just wouldn't work here.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Volkswagen Factory Workers in Tennessee Reject Union https://nyti.ms/2XimKRm

Thank goodness. Now the workers can collaborate directly with management without those pesky middlemen.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
It sucks there is no way to replace one of a kind Disney artifact like that.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Feel good capitalism story of the year:

‘Take It Like a Gift’: Chase Erases Canadian Credit Card Debts https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/09/business/chase-credit-card-debt-canada.html

Those nice credit card companies!

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Fine, I'll be that guy.

I DON'T EVEN OWN A TV.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
When I lived in America we had some baller insurance. One month I ended up in the ER twice; each time for over six hours with xrays and ultrasounds. I can't remember exactly but all it cost us was the two copays of about $100 each. The invoices paid by the insurance co were like 10k each.

I also take a fancy medication for a chronic disease and without insurance the cost was just insane. I paid $20 every two months for it but the invoice the insurance co paid was just under 9k, every two months (eight weeks).

Now we live in glorious Europe and going to a doctor or hospital is just surreal. There is simply no discussion about cost or money ever. When you go to a clinic you go straight back to wait outside the door to the doctor's office; they call you in and do the check up or whatever and then you leave. That's it. I always feel like I'm shoplifting something when I walk out..

Both my wife and I have had surgery here and paid nothing.

Also now I am on a more expensive medication (humira) and it's just free here.

Oh and our child's daycare was subsidised and public school (9 hours/day) is available from age 3.

I think my taxes here are 5-10% higher boo hoooooo.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Xaris posted:

3. anyone whose ever been racist/homo/transphobic against another person regardless of wealth

lol yeah anyone who has ever been a meanie to anyone else surely deserves death right after the war criminals.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
shoe-based remembrance

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Just goes to show how lazy kids are these days mmm hmmm.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Strange asking this but any capitalism.png book recommendations? Not for me but I need some xmas gifts.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

That Old Ganon posted:

Sorta me complaining about my job, but it's also capitalist as gently caress.

As an Amazon employee we used to be able to get 10% off our Amazon orders, up to a max of $100 a year. They've since changed it to be 10% off Amazon items.

During holidays Amazon will typically host contests where an employee takes a selfie of their costume or whatever. Prizes used to be gift cards (e.g. Target), Alexa garbage, and even a television once. Now the prizes are solely company scrip fun bucks to buy Amazon "swag" (their word) with "Amazon:)" printed on it. Our manager used to bring this crap in to hand out gold star employees...and then hand me one when there weren't any around. It's how I wound up with an Amazon water bottle, an Amazon flashlight, a pair of Amazon socks, and a deck of Amazon playing cards.

I've been a part of this shameful shitfest for almost two years. At some point they stopped hiring employees and started hiring everyone as seasonal employees, who seem to have even less access to poo poo than regular-rear end employees (me). I can barely speak to the overseas HR department without arguing that I'm not a loving seasonal employee.

This whole thing is hilarious. I'm so sorry.

A $100/year discount limit rofl. And that was the good scenario.

Also a bit weird for amazon to give out target gift cards. Like isn't the whole point that amazon surely sells anything target does and then some?

amazon has to be one of the worst companies on earth.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Hodgepodge posted:

getting attention is overrated

like if burger king wants me to buy more of their lovely food, they need to have more than their single location that's downtown, like maybe four more to compete

they could also move their current location back to the main downtown hub instead of tucked away by a tourist hub. although i'm sure that one does really well, but they've gone so far down the neoliberalism rabbit hole they've forgotten that material conditions exit at all

oh okay

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Sounds like you're poor.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
it would have been more but 100 users is the zoom free tier limit.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

who cares that PPE is astounding.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

bike tory posted:

On the other hand though, if it leads to more people realising their lifestyles are lovely and exploitative maybe that's a win?

lol

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
just lol if you don't earn 15k/month in interest

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Rock My Socks! posted:

I wish they still made phones like this. You get a big screen and a physical keyboard; best of both worlds

holy poo poo was that some micromachines model lol

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
why does a giant even need a phone

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

blatman posted:

do people normally install a clothes dryer in the kitchen like that?

edit: apparently after some googling it's actually super common in a lot of countries

92% of clothes in europe are dried outdoors. no one has a dryer.

but yeah, the clothes washer is often in the kitchen or bathroom because plumbing.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
In spain public school is offered for kids three years and older and it runs all day (9-5). Day care for younger kids is heavily subsidised.

I can't remember exact numbers but our daycare costs were about €140/month and for some reason the govt. reimbursed us about €50 of it.

But yeah uh the american system sounds good too ...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Are these people actually referring to taking a trip on a cruise ship or is "cruising" some different thing the kids are doing these days?

That geezer was cruising for a bruising, I say.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Fame Douglas posted:

They're talking about being able to got to gay bars and pick up strangers for casual sex

ah okay that makes more sense. definitely worth using all caps then

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Inceltown posted:

The truth will shock you

They're Aussie boomers talking about going on cruise ships, killing themselves and loads of others in the process.

If the ship is fully crewed by boomers and never allowed to return to port then I say let them do it.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
love the ones being paid twice. that is so baller

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Len posted:

Woke up this morning with a low grade fever and the official stance is "it's under 100.4 take some ibuprofen and get to work"

uh do you work at the white house?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Antonymous posted:

Taiwan was the motherland for languages found in Madagascar, New Zealand, Hawaii and Easter Island... and most of the languages in that family are still there

humanity's first space explorers, at least in spirit

Taiwan #1 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
A New Item on Your Medical Bill: The ‘Covid’ Fee https://nyti.ms/34WVJ9a

i tried this link in a private window and it loaded the farticle so i do not apologize if it is paywalled 4 u