Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

MononcQc posted:

I'm not spoiling it because you have to really try to read the regex
Or I could just not read the regex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

pedant is vehemently opposed to exceptions as control flow. this is an anti-pattern. an affront to god.

Obviously pedant is wrong. The real problem is that exceptions are a terrible idea to start with. :colbert:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

gonadic io posted:

i'm going mad here dealing with escaping of escaping
I wrote a line once that had like literally dozens of backslashes in it. It was a command string that was getting passed around from shell to subshell to sub-subshell, with whole thing wrapped in a Python script.

I put a comment in saying basically I can't explain how this works.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i work on nothing. literally nothing. all my actions culminate in a net negative effect on my work, the organisation and the world around me.

i am a dev?

It's a Zen koan.

The student approached the master and said, "My work is futile, ephemeral, and makes the world worse. Where is the path?" The master said, "You are now Senior." At that moment the student was enlightened.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the true comedy option is capn proto, done by the same dude
I always picture somebody sitting in a conference room explaining to upper management that the company's new multi-million dollar project is going to use something called Cap'n Proto.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
C++20 has the UFO operator <=>

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Carthag Tuek posted:

also, loving one function packages

"is-absolute-url"???

absolutely mental

Well if you're so smart, write your own code to see if a number is odd. :colbert:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Sapozhnik posted:

Go and Rust have warts but C++ is a tumor in its entirety.
I'm an old C programmer, and C++ is fine now. Except for templates. Templates are still stupid.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I used to work on a project for the Navy, and there were several times when we were still hacking on the code mere moments before a captain or admiral was due to walk in for a demo.

There was also the time during a demo where it crashed, and so what was projected up on the big screen was the terminal the program was started from, and the last line in the window was "gently caress".

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Plorkyeran posted:

get better at using the tool you use every day.

Except with git this is like getting better at hitting yourself on the head with a brick.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Plorkyeran posted:

stop being a whiny baby and just learn how to use git if you’re a developer and have to use it for your job.
Oh I can do push and pull and merge but I avoid anything else because goddamn.

quote:

it has a stupid rear end ui but there are much more complicated and worse things that you interact with on a daily basis
Actually there isn't. Git is literally the worst thing I have to use every day.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Joe Chip posted:

large c++ projects with a lot of devs are a nightmare because everyone knows different tricks
Currently I'm having a torrid love affair with structured bindings. :love:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I mean, he's right though. You shouldn't be using Python on embedded stuff.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Xarn posted:

Wait till you find out that they don't really work with lambdas
That's OK I don't use lambdas.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I've never programmed in anything other than C, C++, and Python, so I have no idea what you guys are even talking about. Dependency management?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

DrPossum posted:

Does pip not count?
Don't think I ever used pip.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Share Bear posted:

maybe they use conda
Nope. I don't know what these things are for. I just install python and it goes.

I've also only ever programmed on isolated systems

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

CarForumPoster posted:

These sure are SOME posts. Presto do you also post from isolated systems? Are you sending your posts to jeffrey of YOSPOS by carrier pigeon?
It's true. For my entire professional career I have never written code on a machine with an Internet connection.

Except for a couple months when I was working on an Actionscript thing.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

CarForumPoster posted:

what are you working on?
:ssh:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

??? can you not copy all the stuff you want from site-packages onto a pen drive and use those?
Lmao. You have no idea how many rules you just violated.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Kazinsal posted:

I'm guessing that presto works for the spooks and plugging a USB drive into a secure computer is a good way to get yourself in forever jail
Don't need to get the spooks involved. You do not insert *any* writable media (USBs, non-finalized CDs, whatever) in prohibited systems. I knew a guy once at my last job who in a brain-fart moment plugged his iPod into his workstation. It had to be destroyed, and he swung the hammer himself.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

CarForumPoster posted:

if you’re working in defense I find it really hard to believe that you don’t have any low to high process. that’s the easy direction
Oh sure, low to high is easy. Although depending on how high you are going, there may be several excepts and buts after "easy".

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Sapozhnik posted:

It teaches you that it's good to use clever tricks like the infamous "while (*p++ = *q++);"
That's not a clever trick, that's the proper way to do it. :colbert:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

hbag posted:

no that has THREE wheels
Also a Robin's natural state is flipped over

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Sagacity posted:

there are perfectly decent other languages available
[citation needed]

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Bloody posted:

i am once again annoyed at how long our solution takes to rebuild from scratch (3m30s on my machine typically)
Oh really, that long? :allears:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Carthag Tuek posted:

fuckin floating point numbers man
I was checking my account on Comcast's website, and it said my monthly fee was something like $155.00000002.

Looks like *someone* is using floats internally.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Is this our future? Where our past selves are answering questions for our present selves? :(

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

HappyHippo posted:

jfc who cares this much about some extraneous whitespace
Our style guide at work mandates no extra whitespace. I just have VSCode configured to strip out trailing spaces when saving.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
As soon as I see map or filter I assume someone is being too clever for their own good.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Arcsech posted:

these functions that are semantically clearer than looping
That's what you think, mister. :colbert:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Sagacity posted:

golang user spotted
Never touched it.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

quote:

Our telemetry systems no longer depend on the systems that they are configured to monitor.

OK ... So whose idea was that in the first place?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Gazpacho posted:

i have to assume that at some point people are taught, or believe, that "a variable is a box for data" and then they come to pointers and it takes them a while to realize that that particular premise is no longer correct
It's still correct. It's just that for pointers the data in the box is the address of another box.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I just wrote some C++ template bullshit that ends with four >s.

I don't know if that means I'm getting better at it or worse.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

akadajet posted:

fedora functions

M'lambda

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

C absolutely does not let you do this. malloc returns a data pointer. casting a data pointer to a function pointer (so that you can call your block of machine code) is undefined behavior. the C standard is very clear about this, there is no room for interpretation. if you do it anyway and it happens to work, you are just lucky. it could stop working on any platform at any time for any reason or no reason at all

So what you're saying is that C totally lets you do it, it just doesn't promise that it will work.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

i vomit kittens posted:

Everything except for a simple commit ends up being a loving nightmare.
Well yes, because that's git in a nutshell.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

raminasi posted:

git is cool + good as long as you don't try to abstract your mental model of what's going on (and have learned the idiot terminology it uses)
Git is terrible and bad and I don't have a mental model of what's going on, and I never learned graph theory, and I shouldn't need to know any kind of theory to just use a tool. :colbert:

"Why is the handle on this hammer so weird?"
"Well, it makes sense once you understand Riemannian manifolds..."

Presto fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Corla Plankun posted:

if you dont understand the basics of directed acyclic graphs you're gonna have a real hard time as a programmer; they crop up all over the place and they're not at all complicated to learn about
Made it 25 years so far.