Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The_Doctor posted:

All my korxax currently look like this. :ohdear:

They're flirting with you. Try to find the degauss button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Just found a lovely planet with caves full of cobalt-yielding minerals and humming eggs. Bit poisonous but I can deal. Then I look in the sky and:

I have named them 'NOPE'.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Triarii posted:

Is there such a thing as a regular-rear end planet where the air isn't trying to kill you? I've been keeping an eye out for a nice place to set up a comfortable base but I've gone through a couple dozen planets and every last one of them is toxic or radioactive or airless or features "boiling superstorms". One charming moon had burning daytime temperatures, freezing nights, and periodic firestorms.

Is it the kind of thing where planets get more hostile as you get closer to the galactic core, so I should go back out towards the rim to find someplace hospitable?

There are nice places! I found a moon that only tries to kill me at night!
My free freighter's a bit crap. And the onboard frigate's note says 'All safety systems disabled'. I'm sure that's fine!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Is there a better place to get silver and gold other than shooting asteroids? I need to build a fleet control room and I have none of the resources it seems to want.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've found the place! Finally. The only thing wrong with it is about every ten minutes, there's a rainstorm of literal boiling water, and you know what? I can live with it. It has metal fingers of uranium, a crashed freighter, floating crystals, sentient plants that look like Audrey II-- it has orange grass and loads of blue ocean. And it is mine. Now I wish I'd named it more carefully instead of calling it 'Nice but the rain is very hot' along with my usual naming scheme.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My stupid frigate blew every system on a simple one-star trade mission. The flavour text is 'all safety systems disabled'. Reenable them you assholes! It's not enough you get half your crew turned into hybrid spacetrees by eating alien fruit?

Somebody skipped leg day.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

When I found those things I also found these things, which are apparently plants.

You can see one of those things in the bottom right.

I find this planet upsetting.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

Why's that?

It's filled with oddities!
I don't really find it upsetting. I like it.:)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I feel slightly better about my crappy Class C welfare freighter, because my welfare multitool is an S-class with 24 slots. I'm slowly repairing them as I feel like it, to clear space for scanner upgrades. I've only seen one S-class scanner upgrade and I put it on my original multitool about two minutes before swapping it for the better one :D

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ratzap posted:

This landed in front of me as I was about to leave.

S17:6 exotic, 50 to 70% increase on shields, damage etc

I'd almost finished repairing a C34:8 that I got from a distress call and just had enough on me to cover the difference. Yeah it's a bit low on cargo slots but it moves so well and it's fast. I have a 2nd, near identical C34:8 in my freighter to repair too so I can use that one when I need a lot of slots. Plus I just hopped my freighter into a system with emeril planets - gonna fill my boots with chromatic.

I love this!
I've got a little S-class exotic too, but it's kind of dopey looking. Its 'wings' stand straight vertical. It looks a bit like 'lol'. But its colours coincidentally match the colours I made my uniform so it is mine now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

So how common are things like metal fingers, floating crystals, and curious deposits? I've found 3 groups of metal fingers within 1k of my base on a verdant planet with "sporadic" resources and one of those had 2 groups of floating crystals only a couple hundred meters away.

Like I go over a hill to snag a buried technology cache and oh hey free 3000 uranium and 1500 gold. This is on top of what I had from my quick visit to the radioactive planet in this system because I found a big group of fingers near where I landed.

I can probably plow under all my cactus plants and just dupe what I have with all the pyrite I can make.

I found a planet that had floating crystals, alien artifacts, metal fingers and a crashed freighter, all so close together I could have easily put them in the same screenshot. I'd have built a base there if not for the constant boiling storms.

Speaking of. How do you get inside a crashed freighter? I think I'm missing something obvious, because I cannot find the way in at all.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

haveblue posted:

There's no real inside, just the beacon that marks the location. The buried crates contain all the loot.

Ah, okay. That makes a lot more sense. Thank you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I’m on the experimental and my planet has finally calmed down and only has horrible storms occasionally. Nothing so far seems more broken than before.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

18 Character Limit posted:

I have legit no idea if this is common, but on the second station (Gek) I've ever visited some Vy'keen just handed me a 24-slot S-class rifle.

Also I don't park so good.

Or do you park VERY good?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Building around a shelter in place seemed a good idea but now I kinda feel suffocated. The solution may be to put more coloured lights all over everything. Only one way to find out.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Anyone have any planet names they're particularly proud of? I lucked out and the tutorial 'build your first base here' planet is basically perfect, no sentinels, beautiful green grass, blue water, mineral deposits etc. The only downside is about once an hour, it rains boiling water for a couple of minutes. So I've named it 'It's Not The Heat, It's The Humidity' and get to have a sensible chuckle every time I remember. Tell me your planet names!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Can I rename my pet? I'm not saying I *will*. But can I?

:3: This little dude occasionally shouting 'AAAAH SUIT-FRIEND!' while we're out and about has transformed this game for me.

Oh, and I managed to catch a picture of my other friend.

I know it's old news now but I hadn't played for a couple of years and this guy startled me quite badly. Apparently he's harmless though? Hooray.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

dennyk posted:

I made all of my hard-earned wealth the old-fashioned way: by stealing a bunch of ancient artifacts, bones, and technology of immense cultural and historic value and selling them to the highest bidder until I had enough money to purchase a fleet of frigates, then extracting the surplus value of my unpaid crews' labour and keeping it all for myself.

:britain:

My planets are named things like 'radioactive storms, weird birds' or 'looks nice but sentinels' or 'lots of copper'. When I find my forever planet I'll give it a nice poetic name.

e: Sorry, goon at foot of previous page asked:

'Oh yeah, what's up with refiners having local limits now? When I played on PS4 I'm sure I could place a ton of large refiners in one spot, but now on PC I can only put down 2 before having to move far away to place more. '

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

If starting a new game is there any reason *not* to start in the expedition? Does it feel super pressured or can you just have a chill time anyway and have a bit of a different experience? I like NMS to be very laid back.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I’m debating wether to but this on steam, or just play it with my xbox pc game pass.

I want to play it in VR, and I know VR can be more of an issue with xbox game pass titles.

Also, I might end up playing this game for longer than I want to continue my xbox game pass sub. And the game doesnt have cloud saving between the two platforms.

Should I just buy it on Steam? Its $30 really a sale price?

Why don't you try it for a bit on game pass and see if you like it enough to spend the money?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zodack posted:

One of my solid gold exotic ships has now become solid orange. I am in shambles

You know when you've been Tangoed :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Especially as a new player I'd say yeah, just don't settle down too soon. Do a bit of wandering and exploration and see what's around you. Do upgrade your scanner as early as you can to give you more currency whenever you scan things because that's an easy way to make money while doing whatever you'd be doing anyway.

Careful with whispering eggs. The giant worms that sometimes erupt terrifyingly out of the ground will not hurt you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Pretty sure if all you care about is rushing cash you can just edit your save and bypass the busywork. If you don't like the process just skip it, you know?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ssthalar posted:

Tried both of those and neither worked. Oh well, I'll just assume that my machine is too old to run this game.

Very unlikely unless you're literally running on an abacus or something. My machine is eight years old and I run pretty well, though I can't turn on all the bells and whistles. Do you have a RAM bottleneck? Upgrading from 8 to 16 made more of a difference than anything else for me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zodack posted:

Every time I go back to play this game I am reminded that I currently am in a prosperous system farming an S-class freighter. Except the update overwrote my system to be pirate controlled and changed the economy, so now I don't know if I want to farm the freighter more or just bug off and do my 3 hours/5 warps in peace before trying again.

Pff doesn't sound fun, go do something fun instead!

For the twitch drops IIRC I don't actually need to be watching, right? I can just leave the stream on in another tab and mute it? I want that little pointy dog pet thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wait, the game got a free PS5 upgrade and is good now? I guess I’ve been living under a rock for the past two years.

I mean, it's a lot of fun, I think it's good. People say it's shallow but honestly I get a bit confused about what sort of depth they were expecting. There's lots to do and it's very pretty.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Gyoru posted:

You can also use Twitch Drops Miner to idle for drops without wasting bandwidth on a stream
https://github.com/DevilXD/TwitchDropsMiner/releases

oh neat, thank you! I just got all today's anyway by leaving a reasonably non-obnoxious guy on in the background while I did art and stuff so it worked out. Must remember to log in tomorrow, I badly want the bubbles for my jetpack.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Vasler posted:

Starting back up after not playing the game for actual years - I have piles of nanites and around 1.5 B credits.

I have a few questions:
1. How do I start/do expeditions? I can't seem to find them in the anomaly.

2. What's the money exploit? I like money...

3. What's the best way to get phosphorous and dihydrogen?

Exepeditions aren't played on your main save, they're a new game, start from the main menu. It's a wholly different game mode.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

My settlement is on such a pretty anomaly planet.

Ooooh! Do those little lights move around or are they steady?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Danith posted:

If I haven't played for a couple of years and just want to start over on a new save, is doing the expedition and then keeping it as my 'main' save fine? Or are there still issues of messed up quests and I'd be better off also starting a normal non-expedition game?

The latter, just do the expedition for unlocks and make a 'real' main save.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've heard reports that expedition saves can be a bit hosed up with regards to the main quests of the game so have a care with that, especially if it's your first time through and you care about the main quests, which do unlock a lot of stuff for your base and such.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I loved Noctis but it used to give me the fear. The vast emptiness of space and all that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

I love the random names that multitools have. I don't think I've seen a bad one yet. Last night I found an awesome A Class rifle that I had to buy, called the Unstable Dream Probe.

I mean that just sounds extremely rude!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Started a new game. The second planet in the system I started in is infested with adorable owlbears. And since it only has occasional deadly storms and no sentinels at all I think I will actually make a real base here!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

That last bit is amazing. Please elaborate, whoever wrote this entry!! What did it do?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

Got myself one of those fancy Royal Multitools

:eyepop:

Wouldn't go flashing that around the space stations, someone'll nick it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

dennyk posted:

Picked up a new Solar ship already and I'm working on maxing that out, but I haven't really used it much because I love my little Canary of Destiny too much to give it up.

That is a very good bird.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I love Culture ship names. I remember a post from that one twitter that posts AI-generated stuff and one of the Culture ship names it came up with was something like 'Tilting Slightly Leftward' and I think about that all the time.

e: poo poo 'Cone of Uncertainty' is really good.

I name any first crappy ship 'Hotspur' and then the first ship I like 'Memory of Light'. The first one's because of Hornblower but I dunno where I got 'Memory of Light' from, I've been using it for ages. Probably a book.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 7, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Played properly for the first time in a long while. Someone on the anomaly got super excited over my robot dog (he came out of the egg sequencer in baby pink and runs around like an idiot, I love him) and it was downright heartwarming. Also found a planet where everything was bubbles. Some of the bubbles are rocks, some are just bubbles. The only animal life is bubbles. I want to adopt one.

e: also I am not yet bored of the silly little descriptors. Weather: Infinite toxic mist. Flora: Misplaced. Fauna: Forfeited.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Sounds like Luton to me.

My sister lives in Luton and honestly yeah