Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jesus Christ. This show. :smith:

Remember when people thought this show was going to be a comedy spinoff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I would watch a whole show of Mike silently doing methodical detective or criminal work

I know people will never stop complaining about it but the Mike and related storylines have been half the show's focus for 3 seasons now, it's time to accept that's what this show is
Personally, it's not that they're bad storylines, but it's so weird for a whole serialized TV show to have such a blatantly unrelated A plot and B plot through the whole thing. And I guess a C plot with Nacho for a while now. When they actually interact at this point it's like an exciting crossover.

In this episode in particular, Mike's antics were great, but they really interrupted and tonally hosed with the dark poo poo Jimmy was dealing with.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Laterite posted:

Blatantly unrelated? Jimmy, Mike, and Nacho's stories are all intertwined. It's what the show is about.
They're... kind of not. I mean, they started from a common place, and they're going to a common place... but Jimmy's depressing story this episode has absolutely nothing to do with Mike's goofy one, which itself is only barely related to Nacho's own tense drama, even though those two are at least both in Gus's sphere.

Perhaps it's me just not remembering recent events well enough, but when was the last time Mike and Jimmy interacted at all?

This is not to say I've got an issue with any of these stories, just that they were pretty unrelated, tonally and in terms of plot relevance.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The superlab is weird for me because, yes every aspect of its creation is fascinating. I enjoy Mike Doing Things, and this is hardcore uncut Mike Doing Things.

But in the back of my mind I know it's all to make a big playground for some idiot high school teacher to gently caress up. Makes it all feel pretty pointless.

I mean, I know that could apply to a lot of this show- Mike and Gus have interesting stories, but we know that they end to the zany antics of that idiot teacher. Jimmy is more interesting because we know he'll descend (ascend?) to become an incredible "criminal" lawyer, but one of his clients will eventually gently caress it up for him. But he'll live through that and it will be, as we're seeing here, the consequences of his decisions, and the repercussions will be interesting too.

But for whatever reason, Mike being in this show doesn't feel like a pointless prelude to a stupid disaster. The superlab definitely does, and honestly Gus kind of does too.

Whatever though. That only bothers me when I stop to think about it. The procedure is indeed fascinating, though I can see why someone wouldn't be able to appreciate it in context.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Das Boo posted:

If he selects the rake as something worthy of a story, I anticipate it's something out of the norm.

If Mike's story is smooth sailing and never comes back around to anything involving Jimmy, I'll concede it was a big waste of time.
Mike isn't the rake. Mike is fine. The superlab is the rake. The superlab isn't going to have any sort of character development or twists or anything. It's going to be pure procedure to a boring known end.

I liked Mike Doing Stuff a lot more when he was doing his own stuff, and the drama was about him and his family. For a few episodes now the Stuff Mike has been Doing is for a very well understood end (the superlab) that's more or less irrelevant to his character.

The plot arc someone sketched about drama with the worker leading to Mike getting deeper into the criminal world would be a fine story for Mike, but there's plenty of ways he could be driven to that without focusing so exclusively on the procedure of building a thing we've seen before.

Part of it might be how I feel like I'm expected to feel. Like the show's going "Superlab! Isn't that cool!" Which it really isn't to me, so I have kind of a knee-jerk annoyance at the whole thing.

And again, this is coming from someone who's appreciated Mike in this show so far. I know there's general anti-Mike sentiment, which I get but don't really feel myself, but personally I think anti-superlab sentiment is its own thing.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kai and the other miners are probably safe, I don't know why people are saying Mike will have to kill them. The whole plot twist with that thing is that Mike kept eyeing Kai as being a troublemaker, but it turns out he's actually reliable and likes/respects Mike. It's old businesslike charming Werner who broke under the pressure.

precision posted:

I don't want Werner to get killed purely because it's the most absolutely predictable way to end that plot now.

On the season finale of Better Call Saul: MIKE KILLS WERNER :geno:
I mean, Mike kind of has to kill Werner now. That's the necessary consequence of what happened here. Mike vouched for Werner, he was wrong, he needs to clean up his mess. This is what he has to do. Or I'm sure that's how Gus will see it, and Mike knows it.

That's not to say something totally out there might save Werner. There are many potential plot twists that could prevent the seemingly inevitable from happening. But this isn't an issue of "predictable plots" or anything.

That's like saying when Chuck knocked over his lamp it'd be too predictable a plot for Chuck to then die in a fire. That's not plot progression, it's the direct consequence of an action.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know why they bothered to write Nacho and his plot into the show only to seemingly ignore/sideline him entirely.
He's got a really compelling plot going on, it just wasn't relevant to the finale. I mean Lalo was also barely relevant to the finale, but I guess they gotta build up Mike's rival, while we already know what Nacho's deal is.

Nacho's story is good, and it's neat because it's largely been told without words. He doesn't have anyone to really talk to, but we know exactly what's up, post-Salamanca: He wants out. Between Gus and the Salamancas, he just wants out. But he's got to basically run the Salamanca operation in New Mexico. He spends all his earnings like the crime boss he's been set up as- a huge house, flashy red car, women- so no one suspects what he's up to. But he's been slowly skimming and saving up this last year. He's made solid progress to stockpiling enough to escape with his father and a pile of cash to start new lives.

He's brutal to the people below him because he'll be blamed if the revenue stream looks fishy, and the last thing he wants is a careful look at the money flow, because the only way he's going to get away is putting away a bit at a time. But then here comes Lalo, who's "good with numbers". Despite his best efforts Nacho is suspected. How is he going to get out of this one? That's really his season cliffhanger, even though it happened two episodes ago.

It's really a good plot, and absolutely none of it was explained, and I kind of like that.

I also can't really blame them for putting it on the back burner while Jimmy becomes Saul and Mike becomes Mike. They weren't at a point where there was going to be progress on that front, so it just kind of faded away in the last couple episodes. I'm anxiously looking forward to where it goes, and they clearly haven't forgotten about him.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MightyJoe36 posted:

One thing I noticed on re-watch that I didn't catch before is how much of a bad influence Kim also is on Jimmy. More than once she just gets done berating Jimmy for not giving his job at Davis and Main a chance, or cutting corners doing something "extra legal", then in the next scene she's calling him up from a bar wanting him to partner with her in a petty scam. She also seems like she doesn't really know what she wants. She gets her own cushy job, then she's in court trolling for public defender clients.
She wants to be a good lawyer.

Unfortunately she's not quite clear on whether that means responsibly doing what she's supposed to or actually affecting people's lives.

And it's not even like it's an ethical thing. The gritty human level is more satisfying, which is why scamming with Jimmy also has an appeal, and getting permits for novelty banks is killing her inside.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Those were some loving symbolic ants.

This show owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

roomtone posted:

El Camino was fine but redundant, and I think their appearances here will be the same.
This isn't the first time I've heard this opinion, but it's always been a bit weird. Like, yes, we didn't "need" El Camino. It didn't bring a whole lot to the Breaking Bad Universe. But it was pretty compelling on its own.

If what's being said is that it wasn't especially compelling I wouldn't argue, but I'll never get the idea that it was "redundant," when the whole thing has always been about the experience.

On the subject of cameos going forward: If you're even going to pretend this show is at all stand-alone, which so far it pretty much has been, you'll at least need a montage to explain how Saul became Gene. Jessie and Walt will need to be in that montage. As above, I don't think it will add anything to Walt's or Jessie's stories, and I don't think it has to. I think expecting it to try isn't all that reasonable. It's going to be something to put us in the right frame of mind to appreciate Gene's story, which is where this all has to end.