Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Glad to join this thread, mostly because for catching up on the Toona saga on the front page. It made it, and generally me being on SA, worth it.

E: sorry about yr cat Toona

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grip it and rip it posted:

Guess that's why they hired the suicide attorney.

In other news, it seems like all the class of 2020 gradates are up in arms, trying to escape their due hazing via the bar. A petition here in Colorado collected a couple hundred signatures in less than 18 hours and it seems all of my classmates have gone from studying to posting relentlessly on social media about wanting diploma privilege.

On the flip side there is a rumor going around that new placements at work won't happen until January at the earliest.

Ptsd from 2008 rearing up

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

My wife and I just got a puppy we prepared for for two months and within 3 days I resent him and how he completely hosed our lives up.

I can even see the progress he's making but I'm still scared to death he'll continue to be an immense pain in the rear end and burden for 10-15 years.

Whats wrong with it? Just pissing and making GBS threads everywhere?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

been doing some contracts on the side for a guy I know and looks like Ill have to file taxes as an independent contractor, so looking forward to delving that particular morass .

Got asked to do a will by a friend, seems intimidating tbqh

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nonexistence posted:

I just litigated a will contest that ended in a 800k malpractice claim against the drafter of a codicil just doing it for a friend. I've heard T&E litigation has the highest rate of malpractice claims fwiw.

well thats a nightmare.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Has Chesa Boudin being elected DA in San Fran affected things there at all?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Apparently some goon FOIA'd the somethingawful secret service stuff and came up empty.

Having worked in a FOIA type agency, them not not finding it might just mean the person tasked with pulling it didn't feel like it.

e: its why certain law firms and journalists just keep appealing until someone gives a poo poo

e2: ^^^ hell yeah i'm down to stop some civic-ly minded zombies

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 20, 2020

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Anyone else work in compliance. Started working it on a contract basis a couple of months ago, and its weirdly easy and stress-free?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

evilweasel posted:

"attn all employees: do not do crimes"

*ticks the box labeled "make paper trail we told them not to commit crimes", pours another glass of whiskey*

Lol this is exactly what happened with the Epstein Deutsche Bank stuff. AML officers being like this is wrong welp im protected

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

2.15 hours lol

Going into douboe decimals, a power move

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So for NY practicioners what CLE bundle for experienced attys would you recommend? This doesn't seem too crazy and some of the subjects actually look interesting: https://www.barristerscle.com/online-cle/ondemand/bundles/details/2149/

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

The cheapest one! They also have an unlimited option if you have multiple states.

https://www.attorneycredits.com/

Tight!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Along with the killings of Maggie and Paul Murdaugh and the shooting of Alex Murdaugh, the State Law Enforcement Division is also investigating the missing money, whether anyone tried to obstruct an investigation into a 2019 boat crash which Paul Murdaugh was eventually charged and a July 2015 hit-and-run death in Hampton County.

Look forward to the eventual Neflix dox

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I used to take business classes to bump up my GPA in school. God it seemed like they had so much relative fun there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

still paying for room and board but that was a cost i'd already factored in when i was applying to schools; there aren't many (if any) that include that in scholarships that i'm aware of, at least not in t1.

90k (on the high side) of debt is easier to swallow than 300, especially at the #25 law school in the country. it's not a picnic or anything and i still need a lot of things to go my way but idk. i'm pretty happy and wanted to share. i don't expect a bunch of pats on the back or anything, i just wanted to give an update. i am aware it is still a risky financial decision where the best case scenario is a high stress job that bleeds me dry. it's just a smaller one now. or maybe a bigger one if the earth freezes over and i wind up in a t14.

Congrats and don't waste that money. Discard your humanity and become fully GUNNER

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

It is always getting worse because pay is always decreasing as workload increases. Twice a year, tens of thousands of new lawyers get admitted across the nation and gleefully fill up poo poo positions for poo poo pay because there is far more supply than demand.

It was a lot less stressful paywise when I worked for the govt despite the lower pay, bc that's how much I hate having to figure out what is the proper way to do billing.

Been at it for a couple mths now and after apparently billing too much now im as timid as a church mouse, scrunched what I really did into much more narrowed 6 min increments. Hopefully I'll get the hang of it.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 30, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Privacy. It's apparently not that unusual to hire someone who can understand the tech stack and has a grasp of privacy laws but needs training as a lawyer.

Privacy, and ppl that can handle data contracts is the big growth industry in law right now I think.

That, and tumors

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

merk posted:

Privacy is booming. If you are in anything that can be even remotely adjacent to privacy, I would suggest considering a move to privacy.

The IAPP puts out a salary survey each year which kind of tells the growth story: https://iapp.org/resources/article/2021-iapp-privacy-professionals-salary-survey-executive-summary/

edit: If you would like any privacy career tips, please PM me!

Have a CAMS and thinking of taking a CIPP certification. Is it worth it?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

merk posted:

If you want a gig in privacy, yes. The CIPP/US is the go-to certification.

I should disclose that I am IAPP faculty (a trainer) so I’m kind of shilling.

Alright taking it next year like January.

Thank you thread you made me take another test

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hot Dog Day #38 posted:

I shot for public defender and now I'm in-house at a tech company.

I think I even posted in this thread back in like 2013 or 2014 when I was interning for the Federal Public Defender.

Go to law school kids.

I was stuck in the bowels of doc review then

And lol now I'm in tech a success story over here

Ah poo poo gotta start paying back my 200k fed debt in january

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kalman posted:

You’ll probably be able to get into a T14. Up to you whether that’s a waste of time.

I should have gone to my local state school. Back in the 2000s going to UB was so stupid cheap comparitively

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

merk posted:

Can I get a link to the discord? I am a lawyer and would like to lawyer with other lawyers in the lawyer chat.

Nice piece of fish posted:

How can we be sure? Speak some magic law words to convince the Elders of the Internet.

Shageletic posted:

I should have

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What, not gone to law school? Yeah that checks out. Are you not in the discord? What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Waste enough of my time on this here lovely forums lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I can only bill so many increments of 6 mins with "lol"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Who knew bar review, weekly on campus beer, wine, and scotch tastings and miscellaneous drunken events and literally rolling out kegs in school hallways would create an unhealthy attitude towards drinking? Who knew!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

evilweasel posted:

the thing is that all sounds bad but you gotta remember it is after college so uh it’s kind of an improvement for many people

the real issue is that being a lawyer can be stressful and people self-medicate

That and expectations. A lot of people are in way worse professions, but the law profession is full of people (and I'm the same way honestly) that would rather focus on how much they're not living up to what they think they should be, instead of what they have. It's something endemic in the profession.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Had he just not updated his billing rates since the turn of the century ?

I don't think anyone makes alot of money in insurance defense.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hey, enough of that now. None of this petty infighting.

You're all equally pathetic. I eat pieces of poo poo like you for breakfast.

Super happy about keeping my correspondences to emails and comments on contracts. The idea of having to interact with real ppl...gross...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I mean the emails are like write this NDA or redraft this non compete clause. I'm hardly working with Enron over here

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

builds character posted:

Sure, for doc review but I guess I’m also thinking about reviewing (and then, in fairness, negotiating) a credit agreement or an underwriting agreement or something like that. Maybe that’s entirely outside what we’re talking about? But I have a hard time seeing something like that get handed over to AI in the foreseeable future.

In my transactional work with start ups I'm constantly having to edit or redo clauses and other chicanery depending on the whims of my clients. Hard to see that being replaced by AI.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There is so much muck and useless verbiage in your average contract it's insane. But I mostly just roll my eyes if that's what the other party wants to start the process at, as long as its not actively hurting my client. But keeping up with blogs that go into poo poo like this: https://www.adamsdrafting.com/inure/, and it's like contracts are just built up over the years to be lovely in general, and to no one in particular.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Xenochrist posted:

Perhaps because it is so easy for them to win in most cases that they get a feedback loop and don't ever evaluate/change/improve their trial strategy? I dunno.

The only reason why Chauvin got convicted is because the state's AG pulled the case after the laughable first complaint by the local prosecutor.

It's like they put their biggest yokes on these types of cases

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

Someone mentioned this earlier, but how would I go about getting into privacy law? Seems like a lot of jobs/growth in this field. CLEs and books? Networking? I feel like I'm relatively tech savy and have a decent resume, but I am over 40 and other than generic complex litigation experience have nothing to offer on the privacy front.

I'm gonna take the CIPP next gear. And I've touched on a lot of privacy contracts in tech. I dunno

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I like the first guy visibly convulsing at the end

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol.

full ride include board and books? You're older than a regular law student, so you'll be with people younger and with a lot less life experience. You wanna put off your life for 3 years?

What are you doing now?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

I admit to sometimes feeling sober-curious

I'm sober divergent every Fri after 5

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Skipped all that journal poo poo. My career got hosed for unrelated reasons lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

In my first year of law school a bunch of 1L marched into the Dean's office to protest ppl with ADHD and stuff getting more time for exams.

Ppl and esp law students are crazy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

As a "what else am i gonna do with my english Poli-sci degree person, i mostly just hung out with and became friends with that tier. They seem to be doing pretty alright.

It ofc helps to start off your career with no debts tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nothing I did in law school helped prepare me for practicing law and I don’t remember anything I learned in law school.

We drank alot in law school. That'll prepare you for something

cirrhosis