Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Pook Good Mook posted:

Putting esquire in a document actually means "douche."

Oh boy, this argument again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Toona the Cat posted:

I'm required by local rules have Esq. and my bar number in my signature block in legal documents.

And this is why I think people critiquing people for using Esq. is dumb. Some people do it because they're self-important douches, sure, but other people do it because that's the prevailing custom in their area or field, or because they're required to.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

mongeese posted:

I took a pay cut when I first went in-house, but then with equity and stuff, it didn't end up being much of a cut. Work maybe 5% of what I was doing, earn the same as when I left a couple of years ago? Kind of weird, but it's nice.

This is the in-house way.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Tokelau All Star posted:

I have a new favorite case citation, One 1958 Plymouth Sedan v. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, 30 U.S. 693 (1965).

The 1958 Plymouth Sedan was represented by the totally real attorneys Louis Lipschitz and Standord Shmukler.

Essentially, even if the 1958 Plymouth Sedan's owner was a bad guy doing bad guy stuff, it doesn't mean the 1958 Plymouth Sedan is also a baddie!

If you liked One 1958 Plymouth Sedan v. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, you'll love United States v. Article Consisting of 50,000 Cardboard Boxes More or Less, Each Containing One Pair of Clacker Balls, 413 F. Supp. 1281 (D. Wisc. 1976)(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite...f_Clacker_Balls).

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

The Dagda posted:

Nm or other California guys, what is jury selection / voir dire like here? The last time I was called for jury duty was years ago when I lived in New York, and I was struck, I assume for being a lawyer. I normally wouldn’t actively try to dodge jury duty but I just had a baby. But I feel like a judge will think it’s a lame excuse that I want to be at home with my three month old son. Both his mom and I are on parental leave so it’s not really like he wouldn’t have another caretaker. I was originally called for a time right around his due date and got an extension of a few months. Is it likely I’ll get struck here too? I work for a nonprofit doing immigration defense and have co counseled cases with some PD’s offices if that is helpful info.

I don't think a judge would have a problem with that excuse. There's also a good chance you don't even have to go in. At least in my county (Alameda) have you call in the night before and most times they tell you not to bother showing up.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Also Most Divorced, I believe

Access to means, I guess

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

There is a SA lawyers Discord channel that you might consider joining. 90% of the posts that used to happen here happen there now.

Can you share the link?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Nice piece of fish posted:

Just for being orderly and poo poo, anyone needing a discord invite please post about it below and you'll be pmd an invite. If you don't have pm please make a temp email account.

You need to be:

- some form of lawyer or lawyer dawg
- some form of goon
- not a disruptive rear end in a top hat (HDD is already on the server)

I check all three boxes, so yes, please send an invite. I have PMs.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Blarzghinga!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No, new associate is about to get fired that's all

I mean, the attorney who signed off on this with zero review should at least get a dressing down from the bench.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Shageletic posted:

On a more funny note, lol why aren't we called doctors too

https://www.abajournal.com/voice/ar...egree.%E2%80%9D

The solution to this discrepancy isn't to call lawyers "Doctor" but to make a law degree a two-year master's degree instead.
https://archive.nytimes.com/dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/08/23/obama-says-law-school-should-be-two-years-not-three/

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

euphronius posted:

I think it’s done to call us doctors. It’s literally what the degree is

I am not worried about upsetting medical doctors

I've never met a lawyer who called themself doctor. I'm actually shocked to see anyone here defend the idea, given how vociferously anti-"Esquire" the thread is. It seems way more pretentious to ask to be called "doctor" with a JD than to use "Esq."

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

euphronius posted:

It could def be 2 years.

But then every class would almost have to be bar related

That's fine. Then maybe we can see people who want to go into specialties do LLMs, like is already more common in tax law, and those who don't can go straight into practice and learning on the job.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Ani posted:

I think law school teaches nothing at all of value. Most reasonable undergraduates could take the bar solely based on a Barbri course, and they could also start practicing at a law firm based on just that. The extra three years add nothing.

I have spoken to several partners at various Am Law 50 firms and they have all gone out of their way to say they think I missed out on exactly zero knowledge by not going to law school (https://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Requirements/Education/Legal-Education/Law-Office-or-Judges-Chamber)

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

EwokEntourage posted:

might stop the flow of IP lawyers that are loving up the profession

How are IP lawyers loving up the profession?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

lmao

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

ulmont posted:

Spot the dude that's never seen a tax lawyer.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Close call lol

One I didn't avoid is my reregistration for the NY Bar. Anyone have any good resources for cheap/worthwhile ways for me to fill up my CLE hr requirements?

Just don't watch two CLEs at the same time: https://www.abajournal.com/news/article/lawyer-suspended-for-trying-to-attend-2-cle-programs-at-once

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Lawyers with a hard sciences background are also highly sought/valued in the startup space. But then again that sector is rapidly shrinking for lawyer jobs.

What makes you say it's rapidly shrinking? I am a lawyer with a hard science background in a startup, and I haven't seen any decrease in postings or opportunities.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

got serendipitously recruited for a gig doing administrative law.

Just in time for the Supreme Court to abolish it!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

JamesKPolk posted:

Honestly, pretty great? Maybe not (b). But I see (c) holding steady in most states that have it already and (a) increasing a lot. That's the motivation. But again this is all from a very limited perspective inside the industry, which is why I'm asking in the first place, and if it's not guaranteed I'm even going to end up working in that area then it seems very not worth rolling the dice on.

And even if the work still needs to be done then, what are the odds that you as a fresh graduate from some random law school gets to be involved the way you hope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Anyone thinking about going to law school? I got some good advice for you if so.

"Don't"?