Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I played with 100, 100, 40, 30, 20, 10, 5 (values ordered most common to legendary). For reference, the original values were 200,100, 10, 5, 1, 0.1, 0.01 (thought I think the last patch raised the rates a bit). For those who don't remember, the original, the chance to find a legendary was something like 1:10,000 before weighting of other rarities. You had better luck finding several shiny Pokemon*. This rate also applied to Boss drops.

The stuff about cheat engine only kicking in after Bewm Bewm is only because that fight unlocks the last equipment type and all rarities are allowed to drop. The only exception is The Hornet could drop from Knuckle Dragger

In a normal play-though, I would wait until TVM and UVM to turn Cheat Engine on.

*Prior to Gen IV-V mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I wish borderlands was a good fun trash game instead of a bad sometimes fun trash game. The trash bit is important, but there are so many bafflingly stupid decisions and failures in design. Why does it start so slowly? Why are the loot tables built for people who want to poopsock and farm things a thousand times to get a gun that isn't poo poo? Why is the UI literally a crime?

And I seem to remember a hell of a lot of getting stuck on invisible geometry throughout the games I played, but that may just have been me getting mad at a few early issues.

I hope to see many future episodes of you having fun and occasionally yelling at borderlands 2.

This game and TPS are fairly decent in Normal mode. You don't even need optimal gear. Normal mode enemies and gear cap at level 40 (50 if you include certain DLC). The problem is that further levels (in TVM and UVM) do not scale properly. Normally, developers balance out difficulties by adding better gear or new mechanics to exploit. Gearbox was made aware about how enemies HP scaled exponentially while player damage, shields, and HP scaled almost linearly, and decided to not only do very little to fix it, but to double-down on it in UVM and OP levels by capping the player at lvl 75 and increasing regen on enemies. Every fight becomes a massive boss-fight where you need to be perfect or you will die. With the exception of absorption shields, you will get to the point where your shield goes down in 1-2 shots and you die in 1-2 shots. There was a point where they had to patch in a "shield gate" so the player wouldn't die if damage from a bullet exceeded both the shield and HP, which happens at a certain point in TVM and all the time in UVM.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Herr Tog posted:

I have never cheat engine a game. I may have to get to the right level for the Tiny Tina DLC.

also I would be down to be one of these random assholes.

good to have kauskank and panzerbocks lping again

Like I've said before, the game is playable and beatable without cheat engine. You can find and use quest reward gear (OR GRIND TORGUE TOKENS!!) to get by. Legendaries can surpass normal guns and are far more interesting, but the drop rate is so abysmal and the leveling system means you're likely to surpass the legendary's level before you find it, making it useless (with some exceptions). After all the outcries and complaints, I'm still bitter that Mr. Pitchford thinks these numbers are perfectly fine.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
You can use the Loot Sploder mod in Cheat engine under Lua Scripts to make things drop more stuff. Also set player drop weights 1 and 2 to 1.0. This may slow down your game, so experiment with it before going nuts. Your low levels might also affect your loot pools in that some legendaries have a minimum level before they drop (I think).

Critical hits are not random. Most enemies have weak points. Bandits' and psychos' weak point is the head. Same with bullymongs, and skags. If it has a head, usually that is the weak point.

Elements: Electric is best for killing shields. Fire is best for living things. Corrosive is best for robots and machines. Explosive does extra damage and some splash damage.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 18, 2018

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Unless you're playing with the community patch, spikers do have one use. If you have a low level spiker or Logan's Gun and an absorption shield, you can use it to refill your rockets using pistol ammo by shooting the ground and letting the darts explode in your face. You want it low level so you don't end up killing yourself in the process. Works especially well with The Sham.

In my opinion, Lilith is more emotionally unstable than actually evil. She did some questionably bad things, but she didn't really scheme them out too much. As others have said, all the characters are damaged morally in some way and some are just completely nuts. Jack is as close to pure evil as we've gotten so far in the series.

RareAcumen posted:

See, if you'd asked me why everyone hated Claptrap I would've just said 'Well, he's very obnoxious. Like Wheatly if he had another 15 IQ points' Had no idea he tried to kill all humans or anything.

It was the Robot Revolution DLC for BL1. Since Markus gets killed off and Dr.Zed becomes a cyborg which you end up killing off, I wasn't sure the DLCs are considered canon.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 22, 2018

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I think you can still get in to the gulag, though I don't remember if there's anything there.

So Loaders. Hyperion's expendable of choice! They are machines so corrosive is recommended. They have 4 weak points: 2 shoulder joints, the hips, and their chest canon. The shoulders and hips will eventually break off their arms and legs respectively. You will want to take out their gun arms first and then (especially in the case of exp-Loaders) you will want to take out their legs. In normal, you can also just kill them outright most of the time, but this is not always ideal. I believe most boss-type loaders have the same vulnerabilities. I recommend a good corrosive shotgun blast to the torso and/or chest because it's just plain satisfying!

Repair drones are plain annoying. They are fast, take forever to kill, and will run away and hide in FFYL mode. Even worse is that they repair Loaders and give them shields. If you must kill one, shoot it when it is flying toward you and make sure you have electric and corrosive weapons handy. I recommend pistols and/or SMGs with large capacity and fast fire rates. Watch out for their electric cannons which will destroy your shield!

Skags and Spiderants have weak-points in the mouth and butt respectively. Certain Spiderants can reflect bullets from their heads (just like in BL1). Fire is your best friend here!

Goliaths are fun! Enrage them and let them kill as many enemies as they can. Once they reach max level, they spawn with a Dahl chest on their back and if you can kill the badass, you can loot the chest. It was a good early game farming method.

Vehicle kills earn considerably less experience than normal kills on foot, however the game only counts the last shot that hits before death. You can use your vehicle to weaken and stun enemies so you can take them out easier.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 29, 2018

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I don't find Tina or Claptrap annoying. I think I'm broken.

You can change the drop rates of grenade mods : weapons : player skins in cheat engine, but I've never messed with those settings before.

You missed a lot of loot points by skipping all those Varkid poops.

Varkids are annoying. Like the Goliaths, they can level up into badasses, eventually spawning "Vermivorous the Invincible". People used to farm this boss for drops. Varkids only seem to show up here and, I think, one other area we haven't been to yet, but my memory is a bit hazy.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Here's a tip to prevent selling unequipped guns and gear you want to keep. Star them in the inventory. Click the star icon on the right and if it's set, it won't let you sell it when randomly dumping trash to the vendors.

I missed the intro to stalkers and crystalisks. Crystalisks are barely an issue in the game if i remember correctly, but all you need to do is attack their shins and they die. Stalkers only suck if you don't have any electric weapons on hand. They are fast, and badasses will hunt you down and kill you until they're dead in higher difficulties.

Raks aren't worth fighting for the most part. If you ignore them, they ignore you.

Again, you really should be shooting the poo poo piles. They can drop guns and gear just like chests.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Kaubocks posted:

my man i am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that all your posts including this one have been words of advice for people new to the series since we don't get really in depth with mechanics in this LSP but i need to point out two things:

1) the game absolutely does not prevent you from selling items you favorited. the only thing favoriting does is make it so if you bulk sell trash it'll sell everything not favorited.

2) we're not going to slow down to punch every pile of poop that sounds really boring to watch and entirely unnecessary when we can just go to sanctuary and open all the boxes/chests

Yeah, sorry about that. I used bulk selling all the time when I played instead of clicking. My memory is a bit fuzzy since it's been a few years since i last played. I was posting the enemy stuff for new players, not you guys, but you're welcome to use it if it's helpful. Let me know if I should stop. Speaking of corrections, I was confusing Badass stalkers with Rabid Stalkers. Again, sorry.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
He had a stroke in 2011. He was later diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and was hospitalized last year for auto-immune failure. Wikipedia doesn't go any further.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikey_Neumann

My point is that it may be due to his health that Tales killed Scooter off. Perhaps it was a "just in case" thing in the event he's unavailable due to his health.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Sordas Volantyr posted:

And to think, even Borderlands 2's vanilla drop rates are a massive improvement over the droprates in the first Borderlands!

I thought the drop rates in Borderlands 1 were perfect. Legendaries could be farmed reasonably if you needed them. I didn't have to kill 10,000 psychos just for a chance to find one because I could find one in 5 chests or even from a vendor. It was more in-line with Diablo 3's drop rates or many other ARPGs I've played. Borderlands 2's vanilla drop rates are just plain cruel!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Night10194 posted:

They eventually patched that out and that's when I stopped playing BL1.

In the end of BL1, I would farm the basement in the Robot Revolution DLC and Crawmerax in the General Knox DLC. Before that, I didn't really farm much because I was getting decent drops. I may have run Old Haven a few times to get a properly leveled Defiler (that gun was my "I win" button pretty much). Otherwise, in regular play, you would see some legendaries and they were good enough to take you through the rest of the game.

I think Pitchford was trying to turn Borderlands into an MMO at the time Borderlands 2 came out. The drop rates and the ridiculous scaling of enemy health and damage became more attune to group raids. If it wasn't for gear levels that could not be changed without cheating, the drop rates seem more meant for people to trade in-game. The problem is I don't play Borderlands 2 in parties and don't want to all the time.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I usually cheese Saturn using the shed off the side. If you stand in one of the corners, his missiles and photon cannon can't hit you. He has 4 turrets on his arms and legs which you can second wind off of.

After you beat the game, can you do a UVHM run at lvl 75? It just sucks the fun out of the game for me and I'm just not that good at it.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
If you ask a question in your videos, I'll try and answer them. The cursed pirates gimmick is that they leech your life to restore their own. I can't remember what the best way was to take them out.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
You found a Maliwan E-tech rocket launcher. E-tech launchers have larger AoE for splash damage and elemental effects.

Edit: You can modify the cheat table file for loot weight presets and create your own, but it is a bit involved. I can talk about it later if you want.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 20, 2018

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Try taking the Torgue DLC as MR. TORGUE is making a Michael Bay movie. Then all the minor inconveniences make perfect sense.

I decided to add "BL2 Better Loot mod" to my load order for the community patch. Just a heads up that what this does is make it so that any and all loot in the game has a chance to drop from the world loot pools. That includes quest only red-text loot, DLC exclusive loot, seraph gear, and gem weapons. He also makes a mod that fixes vendors to not give you lovely whites and greens all the time. If you want to really mess around with the game, you can grab the entire github repository.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 3, 2018

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Kaubocks posted:

if you guys like outdated references then by god is Borderlands ever the series for you

Episode #31: The Hungry Games

Yeah it might have been earlier in the thread or somewhere else but someone brought this to me and panzer's attention. when we saw it was a whole github thing and we'd have to edit the community patch we decided against it since by the time we heard about it we were already almost done the stream series. didn't want to break anything by accident so late in the game. maybe for pre sequel, if there's one for that!

There is (same repository but one level down), and they made a tool for mod merging (Borderlands Community Mod Manager(BLCMM)) so you don't have to manually cut and paste the whole thing.

I did find those mods thanks to another post in this thread:

The Jumpoff posted:

As far as i've seen and researched, any edits made to the games hex-code have to be done every time you launch it. Also, for people wary of downloading Cheat Engine (it set off MalwareBytes every time i tried downloading it so take that into consideration), who wants to experience the glory of increased drop rates, there is a solution: if you have the tools to run the Unofficial Community Patch, you can also run the BL2 Better Loot mod. The highlights are MASSIVELY increased chances of better loot from chests (i have literally never seen anything lower than a blue come from any chest, ever, with it), bosses are guaranteed to drop their legendary weapons on death, reducing the grind form getting the gun at all to getting your preferred roll, as well as adding Serpah items and gemstone items to the drop tables. Also it works really with the the community patch, and means getting seraph items isn't reduced to god-awful boss fights!

I'm sorry that I didn't credit you before. Please forgive me.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 6, 2018

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I thought Seeker was a seraph gun?

I just finished this DLC on Maya last night on UVHM. It was actually a lot faster than my Krieg run a few years ago. I remember reading that the skeletons are more vulnerable to melee attacks than gun fire, but I couldn't seem to prove it on my run.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I know you don't like that Clap Trap quest, but you might want to take it and not finish it

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
That Fibber drop from that mimic is from the UC patch btw. They do not drop in the regular game.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Dr.Smasher posted:

They're a quest reward itrm and there are specific Fibbers that are really good for Gaige.

Sorry, I meant that they don't drop from enemies and/or chests

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Spikers change the damage type of a pistol bullet into a rocket (so they explode). UCP changed them all to grenade damage type, except for Logan's gun. For some reason, its bullets still count as rockets when they explode.

You could also farm up some low level E-tech launchers and use them to replenish ammo with the Sham because one of the brands splits ammo when fired. Vladoff has a chance to not consume ammo. I think Maliwan launchers are the ones that turn 2 ammo into 5 or 7, but I can't quite remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

i got news on what borderlands 3 is extremely likely to be :v:

As long as Cheat engine or a UCP is made to fix it, it'll be fine!