Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

I demanded a trial of refusal in a dream last night. I can't remember anything else about the dream, just the trial of refusal. If any of you were issued a trial of refusal in a dream last night please lmk asap

I received one from my body, wrt falling asleep. I lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
mfw i imagine Battletech tie-in novels written by Battuta: :vince:

It'd be like that time Peter Watts wrote the novelization for Crysis II

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I love colorful mechs but the lack of regard for concealment makes me wonder how it got started in the first place. In MWO matches, having decent camo for your environment sadly matters (because ECM and stealth armor make the Mk. I Eyeball highly relevant).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Ah, so MWO is making us bid away our overwatch like filthy Clanners, got it

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Defiance Industries posted:

Always assume that PGI is wrong and has done a really bad job.

I was a backer in 2013, I learned that lesson well :negative:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The noble Tetatae Federation shows up show up to try to prevent the last two humans from killing eachother in the next episode, "Let That Be Your Last Annihilation"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SkyeAuroline posted:

Painted a Crusader for my pirates. I don't like this mech one bit, so naturally I used him as a test bed to vary my scheme a bit. Not pictured: all the copper heat sinks on the back, because he's constantly on fire from how poor the Crud's heat management is.

Amusingly, the CRD-6T is one of the top S-tier mechs in MechWorrier OnLion

https://grimmechs.isengrim.org/TierLists?list=general

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SkyeAuroline posted:

I can believe it would be, I just detest everything about the Crusaders I've played with (the intro tech variants - double sinks probably save it) in Classic. Too hot, too explosive, secondary armament suffers for being leg mounted...

The CRD-6T is a pure energy variant, which takes care of the sploding problem. Those S-tier MWO builds are lasvom (mix of large pulse, ER medium and normal small lasers) or snub PPCs and small lasers. Main drawback is most of the DPS is in the arms, but that fixes the "secondary armament in legs" issue. They do run hot, but double heatsinks and an XL 350 engine help with that a lot, as does Coolshot (a consumable that offers rapid cooling for a brief period of time, which you can use up to twice per match).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

What

THE gently caress

IS THAT loving ABORTION OF A CRUSADER

Canon! Made by Kallon Industries.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
awww it's a little chickadee

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I might go to the one in Bothell. I've had a good time there before.

Oh poo poo. You're in WA? Can you help point me in the direction of good stores and places to play? I have a budding desire to play tabletop Battletech but I've literally never done game store gaming and don't know where go or what do. My mental map of game and hobby stores is also over a decade out of date.

Bothell is in easy reach for me, I'm in Redmond on the edge of Kirkland.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Thanks, that's very helpful! and congratulations!!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

There is a 55 ton Mad Cat III. It's cute. Except for the MWDA miniature, which begs for a merciful death.

Please. Kill me.

this poor mech is being starved, that's mech cruelty. someone get this poor kitty to a no-kill hangar immediately

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
my cousin had a rifleman model when i was seven, big plastic one, i feel like it was at least six inches tall. i never cared much about tanks but i was utterly fascinated with giant robots from the moment i saw it. this was in the mid to late eighties so it could have been a robotech model for all i know, but it was instantly recognizable as a rifleman. beautiful model. i had to know more about it and the universe it came from. and that's how i met battletech

i still think about that rifleman model, it was rad

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What is a Salvage Pack

Is it just random mech arms and legs? It should be.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Good to know, thanks.

I haven't played Battletech as a pen and paper game in 30 years - I'm more a Mechwarrior/MWO player - but all this kind of has me tempted to get back in. The new models look super sweet and I find myself in the peculiar position of having a girlfriend who keeps hinting that she wishes I'd take up a wargame because she loves painting miniatures.

If I was gonna back this thing, what's a meaningful level to back at that would get me a decent starter set? Ideally at a level that I'd have enough mechs that I could have a friend over and do a lance vs lance fight.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

lilljonas posted:

Veteran (80 bucks för the merc box and a few bonus stuff) level will give you enough minis for a lance on lance fight and have a bunch of options. I know people love getting tons and tons of minis but after buying the Game of Armored Combat box and two lance packs, I already feel like it’s a lot.

That's perfect, thanks.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mrs. Dash posted:

Just keep in mind the mercenaries box doesn't come with the either the bare bones mech rules in the beginner box or the closer to full but still a little simplified mech rules in the game of Armored Combat box.

...Oh jeeze. If the AC box has the "closer to full but still a little simplified" rules, which box has the actual full ruleset?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

"I will heavily breathe, not make eye contact, destroy your force in two turns, and then leave without so much as a handshake" game like 40k can be at times. (I've been told of this happening at least six times, all with different people, it honestly sounds like a nightmare)

Why are autistic people so scary? We are literally more afraid of you than you are of us

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BattleMaster posted:

He wasn't like that before or after the game - you never would have guessed he was the type who apparently only lived to kick peoples' asses - but it still left a super bad taste in my mouth. I'm okay with not winning but I feel like there's a time and place for the kind of play he was doing and it didn't belong in a game against a newbie. Like using a highly-effective list is one thing but spending an hour with a grim hyper-focused disposition like the miniatures are real people who are actually living and dying based on your decisions in a casual game with no stakes is pure madness.

Oh, FFS. You've spent all these years having a grudge against a neurodiverse person for the crime of being what they are.

It may help you to understand that we don't, like, get a choice about whether or not to act like that. It's not that someone is so desperate to dominate you that they go to that place, it's that they can't turn it off, that's just how their brain works. Hyperfocus is a technical term that specifically deals with this well-documented phenomenon in ADHD and autistic people. It is not a moral decision. He wasn't being cruel. It's no more weird or deliberately offensive than someone who can't help staring at a TV if it's on in the same room as them. We literally cannot turn it off.

Why can't we act normal when we're deep in hyperfocus? Why do we stare and drop the social niceties? I'll tell you: Pretending to be "normal" - what we call masking - takes considerable conscious effort, and most of us can't do both at once. So maybe rather than bitch about how weird and creepy we are - which again is not something we can help or fix, it's not a moral failing as you seem to believe it is - try learning about and trying to understand the people you're likely to encounter while playing games like this. Their actual lived experience might be a difficult for you to imagine or comprehend, but it'll give you a lot of insight into what you're dealing with.

We autistic people are constantly forced to cope with the insane and stressful demands of life in neurotypical society for every minute of our entire loving lives. We have no escape, we have no reprieve, we have no safe places. It has been said that no one can study how trauma affects autistic people because no one has encountered an autistic person who isn't severely traumatized.

You can probably cope with us being a little weirdly intense about our special interests for a couple of hours.

BattleMaster posted:

I feel like there's a time and place for the kind of play he was doing and it didn't belong in a game against a newbie.

A note about this: We don't learn the same way normal people do either, so how are we supposed to know how to play against neurotypical newbies? His experience as a new player was likely vastly different from yours, because he had a different set of mental tools with which to comprehend the game. He doesn't know what it's like to be you, and autistic people often need to be explicitly told about implicit social expectations like "go easy on the new guy" in the first place. You're mad at him for his neuropathology, it's like being outraged at a guy on crutches.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 26, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I think I've lived this experience a million loving times and I know whereof I speak

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BattleMaster posted:

1. Assuming he was autistic. I do not ask or assume because it is rude. All I know about him was that he was a successful tournament player who didn't dial back for a newbie. He wasn't required to, either, but it made for an unenjoyable game.

Well what you're describing is pretty much a textbook presentation of autism, so I hope that helps make it easier for you. I also have to point out to you that you offered this example as similar to behavior discussed in the post I originally responded to:

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's all neckbeards online dude

Everyone I know irl (and its about half a dozen now) are just down to play whatever. Battletech is still a "we are hanging out, the game is the medium" type of game, not a "I will heavily breathe, not make eye contact, destroy your force in two turns, and then leave without so much as a handshake" game like 40k can be at times. (I've been told of this happening at least six times, all with different people, it honestly sounds like a nightmare)

I've bolded the examples of popular stereotypes of autism used in this post. This is a form of dogwhistling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_whistle_(politics)

And you said:

BattleMaster posted:

I don't think that's meant to call out autistic people but the types of players who treat even the most casual game like a life-or-death situation where they must crush the opposition at any cost.

What I'm trying to tell you is that these are the same picture. That is just literally how we are.

BattleMaster posted:

3. Assuming there is a grudge. I never saw him before or after (or didn't recognize him) and all I would have done is not played against him.

You're still using it as an example years later.

BattleMaster posted:

I honestly and truly meant no offense with this story and I exaggerated it a little to be amusing.

You were chiming in to defend the guy who was complaining about heavy-breathing neckbeards who don't make eye contact, my dude.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 26, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
No worries. I'm here for the stompy robots, and enhancing our shared understanding of, like, life, and stuff.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

They're not? Are you saying that the 3025 forever, "no change allowed" crowd are autistic?

Kindly refer to the post where I helpfully bolded all the popular stereotypes of autism in your OP lol

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stop trying to manufacture drama. You're being obtuse just to start poo poo.

Allistics, I swear to loving god.

I'm not being obtuse, dude straight up didn't read my posts, that's obtuse. I'm also not trying to start drama, I'm trying to get people to realize that they're bagging on a minority of which I am a part, and it's offensive as gently caress. Also that they're just going to have to accept that there's a lot of autistic people in this hobby, and it'll be easier for them to cope with if they learn a thing or two about why autistic people are what they are and what makes them tick rather than prejudging them and complaining.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just clicked on the Phoenix Hawk IIC and had no idea it was a loving assault mech. That's hilarious.

IMO the "real" Phoenix Hawk IIC is the Vapor Eagle

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I was hoping for a comparative essay on Battletech manufacturer design philosophies, ngl

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Z the IVth posted:

Isn't he just the happiest Firemoth?

I love it. The mouth kinda reminds me of the carniverous plants in Super Mario Bros.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Did the Marauder-C lead to the development of the Marauder IIC, or is it an offshoot?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Arquinsiel posted:

According to the MUL the Marauder C has a 2827 introduction date, so yeah, it's a Golden Century design. The Marauder IIC turned up one year later.

Oh weird. Begs the question why anyone was bothering with the Marauder-C. Were they developed by different Clans?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ilmucche posted:

I feel like 3025 is almost a question of how many M lasers can you point at the enemy.

It's wild that between 2785 and the clan invasion there was no real meaningful advances to the Jenner. Does that apply to all mechs?

That's the Succession Wars in a nutshell: it's hard to continue to advance technology if the labs, workshops, factories, scientists and engineers get deleted by Asset Management Weapons. You might even end up losing some tech.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Lostech

There's also an ingame faction, ComStar, that deliberately stifles innovation (through murder, theft and dirty tricks) in order to maintain the status quo, supposedly to prevent asymmetry of force and re-escalation to the use of Asset Management Weapons.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ilmucche posted:

The locust C and IIC 2836 and 2832 intro dates. Does that mean the clans were using them by that point but they didn't appear in the inner sphere until the invasion ?

Yep. The Clans continued to advance their technology, while the Inner Sphere slowly lost theirs. There was no meaningful contact between the two societies at large until Wolf's Dragoons arrived in the Inner Sphere in 3005. Even then, they didn't bring full-on Clan mechs with them (because it would be a dead giveaway that they ain't from around these parts). Those don't show up until the invasion.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

HootTheOwl posted:

If their technology is advancing then why don't they have poopers in the mech

Different design requirements. IS mechs are designed to fight war the way think of it, with pilots in the field for weeks on end and often living out of their mechs.

The Clan way of war is via prearranged duels of honor. If you're a clanner, you don't need a toilet in your mech because

1) You're fighting in a prearranged place for a few hours and then you're done

2) It would be supremely dishonorable to kill you on the shitter

3) You are incredibly constipated (as indicated by Nicholai Malthus's facial expressions)

The Clan invasion failed despite their massive technological advantage in part because their mechs are not designed to be in the field for a long duration and in part because the Inner Sphere is quite happy to kill you on the shitter, or anywhere else you might be.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
fwiw, the color of the lens has nothing to do with the color of the beam, if you ask actual physics

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Xenomrph posted:

What is the market like for selling off mechs?

Also I’m already eyeing the ComStar Battle Level II box because it has a Crab in it and I think it’d be funny to pair it with the King Crab and make Team Crustacean Supremacy.

Carcinization is actually a thing in Battletech

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Dressing like an edgy 90s Bad Teen is the Clanner equivalent of specops beards

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nebalebadingdong posted:

brigade models monorail is coming along. i think its a perfect fit for battletech

Rad. Could put some broken mech limbs or partial chassis on the empty cargo flat if you wanted. Could even incorporate that into your scenarios as potential salvage.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

GD_American posted:

What are some good schemes using white as the primary? Like white + accent color?

This Phoenix Hawk is a classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
People hate working on Taurian-built mechs because all the measurements are imperial instead of metric