Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Elias_Maluco posted:

they just want blood on the favelas and persecution for the people they hate (femminists, gays, leftists etc), they just talk about good and evil (and "christianity", "western civilization" etc) to justify it

Remember when Elite Squad was criticism of how excessive police violence doesn't actually solve anything and in fact only turns good(and perhaps naive) into killing machines and people only saw "gently caress yeah kill everyone in the favelas noice"

Glad it only got worse since then

Halser has issued a correction as of 13:09 on Mar 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Plutonis posted:

We're becoming the US.

I check G1's comment section sometimes(self flagellation) and I couldn't help but laugh when one old lady posted "god help these families in this difficult time" in the middle of the left-right poo poo flinging and promptly got verbally assaulted by both sides at once.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Dilma was never imprisoned, she was just impeached.
I mean, she definitely was imprisoned and tortured, but that was back in the 70's when she was fighting the dictatorship.

The whole impeachment process was a hilarious lot of bullshit, and IIRC some congressmen used really inane justifications to vote in favor of the impeachment, like "God wills it" or similar garbage. I do believe the entire country knew implicitly that it was unfair but didn't really care as they hoped a sudden change would perhaps make things work out(it didn't) and there was obviously a lot of political interest in taking out Lula's pupil out of the picture.

With that in mind, I do think Lula is guilty of being corrupt. Virtually no politician in brazil is clean. I used to think Moro himself was, but him being chosen as minister of justice(when he previously said he wasn't interested) made me raise an eyebrow so hard it nearly got ripped off.

Halser has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Mar 19, 2019

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I absolutely agree that politics in brazil(and pretty much everything else) only works when the gears are greased with corruption. That mentality seeps into every loving aspect of life in the country, from politics to online games.

Sephyr posted:

Not just that, but if PT really was trying to stack up state positions with its cronies for future benefit and dominance, hot -drat- they sucked at it.

Pretty much every last person they appointed, especially to the courts, either sold them out or glanced nervously at their nails as the inquisition got in gear. We've got scions of other parties skating free after being caught with planes and choppers full of cocaine, but none of PT's famed political goons could clear their throat to say that maybe taking a dump on the constitution and due process with bizarre legal rationales that are used once and then quetly stowed away was bullshit.

It's darkly funny that brazilian labour bent itself backward to try and please the military by boosting its status and pay, giving it internation missions it craved (Haiti) and integrating them into infra-structure jobs), as well as grant the Federal Police independence and respect, only to have them gleefully stab them at the first oportunity. There really is no placating.

As Joe said, no one cares as long as the results are right at the end of the day. The supposedly educated, 'moderate' elite would do away with habeas corpus, free press and a number of other oh-so-valued Enlightenment values in an eyeblink if it felt they would spoil their goals. I wish I still believed that brazilian media will learn its lesson after wailing over the supposed press-hating bolivarianist labour governments for 10+ years only to be declared Enemy of the People in a very real way two months in by the monster they gestated, but we all know they'll be back to arguing a 1.3% tax hike is the -real- tyranny the moment any remotely progressive force comes to power.

I can only imagine the thing of poo poo that happened behind the curtains for Dilma to end up as a scapegoat and for Aécio "Coke Fiend" Neves to end up scot free. Pretty sure there was a lot of infighting in the worker's party too, but we'll probably only know the details decades from now.

And hey, the stock exchange reached 100.000 points! The system works! Don't ask where that money is though.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Jose posted:

Are those a brand new thing since bolsonaro took over?

I remember a pretty bad school shooting a couple years ago, but I don't really know how frequent threats are.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I was never a big 55/brchan browser so I actually never heard of this guy. Found a video on youtube about his arrest and the fact he said he knew he wouldn't get caught because of how inefficient the criminal/justice system in Brazil is made me laugh quite heartily.

Also, is it just me or is this extremely online poo poo mostly confined to the south of the country?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

holy gently caress it's happening again

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

ZearothK posted:

Due to his advanced age and status as ex-president he'll be condemned to 30 years of home arrest in his mansion.

not what happened to Lula, so he may actually end up arrested.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Can someone explain to a smoothbrained moron like me what's the endgame with this poo poo?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Sephyr posted:

Where it will all lead? gently caress, it's Brazil. No one has a clue.

I love having even more abstract anxiety in my life.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

(Bolsonaro says that nazism is left wing beyond all doubt, pretty much)

Bolsonaro came up with that molten hot take when visiting Israel of all places.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
these kinds of insane laws try to pass all the time, but hopefully it won't happen this time either.

Still, IIRC the game Bully and the CS map cs_rio are both banned and it's literally irrelevant since there's zero policing for these things. It would just mean Brazil would return to the early 2000's where everyone just pirates everything for lack of alternatives.

Also lmao about hating games for inciting violence when your own president wants to gun down criminals like a real life FPS

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Plutonis posted:

https://twitter.com/folha/status/1113889736295362561?s=20

Rubber bullet manufacturer predicts protests against economic reforms :thunk:

the extremely visible hand of the free market

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Minas has way too many hills anyway, we could use a bit of digging

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

it's the joker's fault.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Jose posted:

are his supporters still all in for him like trumps or are they starting to get disillusioned? i get its still a bit early to tell

most people that voted for him are understandably less extreme about it now and actually noticed the fuckup they've participated in. The others have turned straight up fanatic about him. My mother will fight anyone that even implies that Bolsonaro isn't the messiah, and that applies to quite a few others too.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Reclines Obesily posted:

drat thats some impressive protestin

it frustrates me so much when you get this level of protesting and my entire family just brushes it off as "lazy fucks that don't want to work loving around on the streets".

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I could use some loving good news every once in a while, jesus christ

with that in mind it's nice to see people contort themselves to try to rationalize Moro as being incorruptible now

Halser has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Jun 10, 2019

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

if it was piss at least he would have something in common with trump

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

those loving NGO's, I swear to god

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
this mystery oil spill going unsolved for months makes me think of a future where Brazil just gets completely and utterly hosed by an infinite stream of oil pouring in nonstop.

Just a tiny bit worrying.

Plutonis posted:

All major media sucks rear end stick to small independent publications like Carta Capital or Brasil 24/7 instead

E: Also holy crap no I didn't knew the murderers went to Bolsonaro's house that day this is really loving incriminating

Wonder how long it will take for the concierge guy that said that to drown on a beach at midnight

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

The Unnamed One posted:

Yeah, it’s hosed up that Temer walks free

Oh I thought it was about Collor

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i will say i've enjoyed ahmadinejad's new profession as twitter troll after he got thrown bodily out of Iranian electoral politics

I've a feeling that be a natural choice for retired politicians in the future

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
what a slimy motherfucker, jesus christ

is it a dogwhistle if you're just screaming it out loud?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

What a deluge.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
what are some good leftist news websites for brazillian stuff? Someone pointed out the other day that I'm way more attuned to international politics than anything that happens in Brazil, and it's probably a good idea to try to remedy that.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

bagual posted:

Sorted from lighter to read daily news to headier stuff :

Brasil 247, extremely petista, beware.
Revista Fórum, basically a platform for leftist bloggers and columnists.
Voyager extremely online, run by the same people as Anarcomiguxos and Meu Professor de História, tackles alt-right talking points
Carta Capital, run by Mino Carta who's like an OG leftist and also old as poo poo.
Brasil de Fato, a MST and other movements affiliated media platform.
Outras Palavras more abstract articles and short pieces on theory and whatnot.
Le Monde Diplomatique Brasil awesome longform articles written mostly from a leftist perspective.

I'd mention the Intercept but that's obvious and they're more like the liberal left, Catraca Livre and Quebrando o Tabu and the such.

very nice, thanks!

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Elias_Maluco posted:

Again Jair "Brazil Above All" Bolsonaro films himself live watching Trump on TV

https://twitter.com/JornalOGlobo/status/1225502059258142721

Fascist President Watches Trump With You(ASMR)(RP)

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

wasn't this guy the economist genius mastermind that was supposed to yank Brazil out of the recession?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Maha posted:

Threatening to fire your maid unless she votes right-wing sounds like a paranoid fantasy.

can I live in your world?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

dead gay comedy forums posted:

just in time for an excellent week in the stock market

oh wait he is in the government, let's see how his genius will work it out

he literally reads through Trump's tweets for inspiration on how to run his country, it's pretty easy to guess how that will turn out

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

frajaq posted:

lmao no way lol

not believing anything until it comes from his loving mouth

the only thing coming out of his mouth now is corona filled phlegm

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Sephyr posted:

Fox loving News has it up that he's tested positive. But in Brazil only minor vehicles have carried it so far.

What a shitshow.

yeah I found that weird as hell too. Doesn't globo hate the guy?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
bolsonaro, who definitely does not have the virus, refused to be within 3m of anyone, refused to shake anyone's hands or touch them at all, and left the Planalto after one hour.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Just got an email from my workplace with some details about the coronavirus.

quote:

No plano legal, a Lei 13.979, de 6 de fevereiro de 2020, dispõe a respeito das medidas de enfrentamento da emergência de saúde pública de importância internacional decorrente do coronavírus responsável pelo surto de 2019.

De forma específica, a Lei assegura que será considerado falta justificada ao serviço público ou à atividade laboral privada o período de ausência decorrente da contaminação pelo coronavírus (art. 3º, § 3º).

Assim, o afastamento do empregado em decorrência de problemas de saúde oriundo do coronavírus não lhe trará prejuízo em seu salário.

Nos primeiros 15 dias de afastamento, o pagamento proporcional a esse período é de responsabilidade do empregador. A partir desse período, o pagamento fica a cargo do Instituto Nacional do Seguro Social (INSS) (art. 60, Lei 8.213/91).

Pretty cool, unironically.

For the non portuguese speakers:
what this basically says is that if you can't go to work due to coronavirus(or any other issue of the sort), then the company is required to pay for your wage for the first 15 days. Afterwards the government takes care of it.

I don't doubt the government will take its sweet time paying those salaries, but it's better than just being told to drop dead if you can't work.

Halser has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Mar 13, 2020

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

frajaq posted:

I just dont want him to get away with this stupid bullshit lol

he absolutely will lmao

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
https://www.saude.gov.br/noticias/agencia-saude/46666-ministerio-da-saude-define-criterios-de-distanciamento-social

Vertical distancing is now the norm, something that has definitely worked for every country that tried it.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

frajaq posted:

How

How did he managed to gently caress up with Moro of all people

This is insane

Overconfidence I guess
There's also the chance he's a moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
loving wild that I'm getting whatsapp chain messages saying that Moro is in league with George Soros now and that this is all a part of their plan for some reason