Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Cardboard Fox posted:

Apparently there's a new Warhammer Age of Sigmar MMO coming from Nexon and Games Workshop.

https://massivelyop.com/2021/12/08/nexon-is-apparently-working-on-a-new-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-mmo/

A little weird that they are trying their hardest to not call it an MMO. Almost like the MMO genre is poisonous.

Also, I don't have any personal experience with Nexon, but the comments are all saying it's not good.

It looks like a exon does a TON of publishing/live service for games made by other devs, for specific regions. The only game (only heard of the IP really) that I have even heard of that they made themselves is a Maple Story mobile mmo.

I’m gonna go with “completely write this off as irrelevant to me”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ichabod Tane posted:

Imagine doing some sort of dungeon or quest and at the beginning of it - agreeing to the possibility of pvp. It only occurs if you agree to it but the ceiling of the quality of the loot possible is increased by it.

Can’t have BETTER loot, but a little bit more of it would maybe work. Terminal MMO brains like myself would just force ourselves to do the PVP version and hate it because anything but the best loot is garbage swill for casuals.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

jokes posted:

Snipers are always a net negative in any video game they are in. The one exception is Ana from overwatch, because they’re a healer. And even then they were annoying as poo poo because Blizzard gave them a loving nap grenade.

Destiny most of all. Yeah everyone loves killing people and being killed with zero recourse, and also when you get close they’re just as well-equipped as you.

Not an emptyquote.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Illidan is responsible for the best moment in any WoW ingame cinematic ever, so he’s cool by me now.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Is World of Warcraft still a really bad MMO?

Blizzard is still a really bad company but:

Retail WoW is a really bad MMO

WoW Classic is a pretty good MMO about to become a great MMO on 9/26

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Love to get into groups faster as a DPS because I multibox a bard, and we’re a package deal.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Guild Wars 1 is arguably not really an MMO. The real problem exclusion is DAOC.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Some Age of Conan highlights:

In order to upgrade your guild city to level 3, you needed a level 2 trading post. In order to make a tier 2 trading post, you needed to have… a tier 2 trading post. It was a requirement for itself.

It had jewelcrafting. It was broken though. If you actually put any gem into any slot in an item, it crashes your game. Your character could not be logged into. GMs fixed it by just deleting your item and moving on. Hope it wasn’t your weapon!

It had a spell channeling system for casters. You activated it and longer you kept casting spells without moving, you would move up in stages and do more damage while also spawning some really cool effects. It was broken though. Tempest of Sett getting to stage 3 would crash the world server every single time. You could hold servers hostage.

Bosses in dungeons after level 35ish gave XP and loot, but had no AI. They just stood there not moving or attacking. The best way to level (since there were practically no quests finished after 30ish) was to go solo kill bosses while they stood there. The max level dungeon bosses also had no AI but no loot tables.

There were entire zones with no mobs in them.

Before launch the forums were completely public. No purchase or preorder necessary to read and post. Within 24 hours of launch they made them completely private so people who hadn’t bought it couldn’t see the flood of negativity. Within 24 hours of that they started permabanning everyone who posted anything even remotely negative, even if it was mostly positive but with constructive feedback.

The best though was when like 2 months after launch they somehow charged a $15 month sub for anyone who had ever subscribed. Legit, 80% or whatever of people who played at launch cancelled but then months later got charged. People who were still subscribed for double charged that month.

People complaining about bad launches now have no idea.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

jokes posted:

It's probably infinitely easier for someone who makes a good modern MMO to make a second good MMO

Has there been a good modern MMO?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

kedo posted:

Watch the space below for the inevitable "FFXIV is a great MMO!" and "FFXIV is a terrible MMO!" conversation in answer to your question.

Whether it is or is not good, it is definitely not modern though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Third World Reagan posted:

ffxiv was released 13 years ago
but it still is getting expansions to this day

then again so is everquest 1

Groovelord Neato posted:

FF14 is absolutely a modern mmo.

WoW is also still getting expansions 19 years later, it is not a modern MMO.

FFXIV is a great MMO, and it is a post-WoW MMO but it is absolutely not a modern MMO.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
MMO CHAT: Which upcoming game should I base my entire identity on?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

no it was something that was fun to play

It can’t have been an MMO then. Try a different thread. There’s a “remind me what game this was” type general thread.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Which really sucks because modern day Star Trek largely sucks a lot of poo poo. I will say this though; Strange New Worlds is really good. It doesn't quite get to the level of 90s Trek, but it gets very close, and is what I have been wanting from Star Trek since Voyager ended. It's a perfect balance of adventure of the week, and seasonal storyline, the writing is just not quite there, at least not for season 1. I haven't had a chance to watch season 2 yet.

Totally agree on SNW. Season 2 is still two episodes away from over, but it’s good. SNW’s only real sins are it still taking place in the past, instead of after Voyager, and being a modern show, it’s forced to have more reliance on action and special effects than would be ideal.

Overall though, quite good. Except, apparently the next episode is supposedly a freaking musical episode. There has never been a good musical episode of a non-musical show, so I am pretty annoyed.

The Orville is amazing
Lower Decks is very good
SNW is very good
The SNW/LD crossover episode might be my favorite Star Trek episode since TNG (you reallllly want to have watched LD though)
Discovery is absolute dogshit (at least through season 2 where I couldn’t stand to hatewatch it anymore.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Truga posted:

it basically never happened like that

what did happen was, you talked to people for content that requires grouping, and sometimes those people were funny or even good at the game, so you invited them to your irc channel and then you played together, and sometimes you even stayed friends after the game was dead

and the same still happens now, except most people moved from irc to discord i guess

You left out the cybering and the guild drama.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Well poo poo. I was about to type up the story about the creepy old dude who was pretending to be female and flirting/cybering with guild leadership back in Vanilla WoW, but I realized that I am now as old as the creepy old guy.

gently caress.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Mister Olympus posted:

it's fine to not like the premise of going through a whole rear end, bottom tier final fantasy game to unlock the mmo parts in fragments, because that's what it is.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Truga posted:

every other final fantasy i've tried playing has been worse than 14 so i guess it's the best final fantasy

I don’t think that I’ve played a Final Fantasy that was worse than the first 50 or so levels of XIV. That’s the problem.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Truga posted:

it's definitely still by far the worst part of ff14, but it's not nearly as bad as it used to be because a lot of fat got trimmed out of msq, and you don't need other sources of xp at all anymore so you're not randomly hit by the red quest marker telling you to go away for half an hour before you can continue

People keep saying this, and I believe it, but holy poo poo is that damning with faint praise. Really slow ability gain, turning OFF many of your abilities in leveling dungeons, utterly faceroll difficulty of everything, so much backtracking, So. Many. Fetch. Quests. It’s just so, so bad still.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

I don't think it's Guild Wars 3, but a whole new I.P. I don't see ArenaNet wanting to make a Guild Wars 3, but i'm very excited at the prospect of a new ArenaNet MMO.

Dang. The shareholders that were on the call are gonna be piiissssed that the CEO lied to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Frog Act posted:

Anyone try reign of guilds? The developers are in the Steam community making fun of people’s negative posts by looking through their list of games and calling out “anime game” players as outside their target audience which is such stupid PR I’m curious how the game actually works in practice

On the one hand, knowing that an MMO specifically is not targeting anime game players makes me more interested in it. On the other hand, that’s some monumentally stupid dev behavior. On the third hand, Reign of Guilds is such a terrible, generic and lazy name that there is no way the game is good.