Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

bewilderment posted:

My unironic opinion of ludonarrative dissonance is that it's cool and more games should actively lean into it.

It's like the songs in musicals. They're not 'really' happening, the main characters aren't trained singers doing elaborately choreographed dance moves, we just accept that it's a 'heightened reality' abstracting things.

Too often we point it out and say "bad" instead of "interesting, what else can we do with it?".

I quite like the 'middle ground' WoW and FFXIV have managed to find, where yes, you're playing through "your" story but most of the major plotlines talk more about the plural 'you', the idea being that all the other players are heroes too, so we all need to work together to bring down the demon/asteroid/wizard/big spider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Eox posted:

This made me clench so suddenly I heard my pelvis crack. They capped dungeons and included no other endgame poo poo?

Yeah, this is how I fell out....I was having a great time but when you can do all your weeklies in like an hour after reset, after that there was literally nothing to do.

I really did enjoy that first week though.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

fadam posted:

Legit impressed they're reworking some of the UI to deal with the differences in text length between the two languages instead of just shrinking stuff down and cramming it in there lol.

I think this is cool as hell. I've played a lot of MMOs and I've never seen a dev release something like this before a launch.

Huh this is actually pretty neat and open. Surprising to see that much transparency, but really good guidance and expectation-setting.

.....anyone got a spare key? :P

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Nunes posted:

I think data mining will ruin any attempt to recreate something like original Everquest or UO. A lot of what made the game great was random exploring and finding out things from word of mouth. It took a long time to figure out quest lines and you found so many random items without a clue to their purpose. I remember my first days trying to start a barbarian and being lost trying to find my corpse in Everfrost Peaks or being lost in the woods trying to travel between cities in UO because I had to flee from a PK.

I think some teams have figured out small ways to recapture that feeling, but any larger initiatives will fall apart immediately.

Example that immediately comes to mind is Mythic raiding in WoW usually having a 'secret' phase on the final boss that no one has seen or datamined. I don't think there'd be any way to do that for an entire raid since your choice is basically 'launch it untested' at that point, but I like when games come up with small ways to try to recapture that sense of discovery and community.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

There will never be a good MMO ever again.

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaRbQHlegaM

Pryce
May 21, 2011

bewilderment posted:

I was 'playing the game' for 15 seconds. The rest of the time I was reading my other monitor while checking I was headed in the right direction on the map. What value is there in that?

I get what you’re saying here, but bear in mind that your definition of “the game” appears to solely be combat, and that’s not what they define their game as. I just finished the story, and it was maybe 40 hours long, where 30+ of it was cutscenes. Do I think that’s overkill? Absolutely. Would I argue I wasn’t playing the game? Possibly, but at this point they’ve made their design intentions explicitly clear through all expansions and it’s not going to change. I enjoy it for what it is, and if I want a combat-focused experience, I’ll either wait till endgame or jump to another MMO.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm sorry, wow had loving whatt?!

Have you never seen the first boss of Ulduar??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2lwcOh1-w

Pryce
May 21, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

People classifying Warframe as an MMO confuse the poo poo out of me.
It's like a calzones are a sandwich type argument for me.

The newer content continues to march towards true MMO…. More open world spaces, more multiplayer content, more seamless transitions. Early game is very much like PoE with public hubs and private instances but every new expansion adds much more open world stuff.

I won’t be surprised if a near future update allows 100s of people in the same instance outside of towns.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Did The Thing ever travel by vent?

I think he uses Teamspeak now.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Airship Syndicate (Battlechasers and Ruined King) also just announced they’re making an MMO published by Digital Extremes (Warframe). Not saying it’ll be good but those are two studios that do know how to make video games at least.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Can a mod please unlock this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008474 I'm assuming the OP locked it, so people couldn't laugh at him anymore.

Who are we to say, maybe this is finally the good MMO. The only way to be sure is to open that thread back up.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

The best mmo is Nerts online

This needs more attention. Nerts is the best game ever published on Steam.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

kedo posted:

This is my big problem with the game. Sailing ships is awesome, but the second you get off a ship everything feels ultra janky and overly simplified. I bounce hard every time I play for exactly this reason. I don't have a group of friends who play it so I'm missing the entire social component which really throws all of the problems with the game in to stark relief.

Man this reminded me hard about Pirates of the Burning Sea, which had really intricate ship combat and a tacked-on player to player combat system added before launch. The faction vs faction world pvp where you’d control cities in the Caribbean was amazing but there was so much jank around it all.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

If baseball batters can be considered amazing when they hit the ball 50% of the time then the same can be said for tank game

Yeah but usually when a batter misses a ball they don’t then have to run for 10 minutes to pick the ball up before they can try again.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Apparently Embers Adrift launches in a week? Is that...a thing that anyone is aware of or is looking forward to?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

GoGoGadget posted:

Literally everything I've read about Embers Adrift is that it's absolutely not ready and they're releasing it to get further funding to continue making the game. Also doesn't help that it seems like a grand total of 40 people are following the game's development. It'll be DOA.

Their own forums seem to agree:

quote:

Releasing now is fine, for finances or whatever the reason is, but I think we would be better served publicly by being a bit more honest. Rightly or not, we need to try to see around our own passions for something because when players and press realise that there is no content above 30 for example, it may not be pretty if we are saying "MMO's are never finished" or words to that effect as an excuse.

quote:

Q: How the release will look outside of our bubble?

A: Unfinished, boring, slow, unfun, laggy, lack of Qol/wasting peoples time on unproductive things, subpar weapons/armors, unfun skills.

So...I think I'll probably wait to try it out.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Sachant posted:

E: Also, yes. Game dev transparency is terrible for a game like this, especially when you combine it with the performance the devs always feel like they need to do about not shutting anyone down and acting like everyone's idea is great. How they'll consider it and they'd add it if only there were just enough time and resources. Just once I'd love to see one of them just completely shut someone down with "wow that idea is hot garbage what were you thinking". I'd instantly kickstart anyone I saw doing that.

THANK YOU. I've said this for 10 years IN THE INDUSTRY. Devs get really caught up in the hype and the desire to be loved by everyone, but we desperately need to be braver and more willing to say "Sorry, no." and express that not every game is intended for every person.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yeah, and they broke their US server two months ago, it's still not up.

It's a miracle they're still operating. Their revenue took a huge hit last year because their rmt currency was being duped and they didn't notice for months.

Well at this point the IP has been bought and sold so many times...isn't it technically a 'fan-run' company now that's keeping the servers going?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cardboard Fox posted:

We really need a special stickied graveyard thread in the subforum for all the fallen heroes.

Official:
https://crowfall.com/en-US/news/articles/Crowfall-Update

Goodbye, Crows!

There is absolutely no world in which this ever comes back online.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Is there a way past "these expansions are only if you're subbed" if you have a massive pile of Cartel Coins? Haven't gotten around to poking my nose in to check yet.

No, but it's literally just 'sub one month and you get access to everything permanently', so dropping $15 instead of a permanent sub is well worth it.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

I thought you got whatever expansion packs were available when you last subbed

this is correct. All new expansions get folded into the 'sub once', so if you do it today you get the most recent expansion (and all the others).

Pryce
May 21, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

I absolutely hate this. I started a new character on FFXIV (having not played since the beginning of Heavensward) and much to my disappointment, dungeon runs mean the tank runs through 1/4 the dungeon at a time collecting as many mobs as possible while chanting gogogogogogo which leaves zero room for enjoyment.

So this is weird (and I don’t like it), but most FFXIV dungeons are intentionally designed this way. There’s always a locked door a couple pulls in so the idea is that you can pull two or three groups to the next “door”, kill them all, then the door opens and you move on.

I think some of the earlier dungeons don’t actually have the “locked door” design so you can pull all the way to a boss, but everything post-ARR seems to be specifically built to support playing that way. I’m not a fan but at least it feels slightly better knowing that it’s not entirely some massive speed run strat.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

There is a bad track record for MMO's that focus purely on cutting edge graphics with no mention of gameplay.

... Which just means they are due for a big win! go all in!

Any time a game markets "MADE IN UNREAL!!!!" it saves me a ton of time knowing it'll flop immediately at launch. Which engine you use is not a helpful bullet point for players.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

I said come in! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa3lVBrx4JU

A content creator got to play quite a bit of Wayfinder and posted their impressions and gameplay. This looks like it might be a fun game? Plus it's going to actually come out soon???

I really don't understand the hype around it. I've played a fair bit and it's just like.....slow Warframe with very floaty controls. I love me some Warframe, but people are acting like this game is the 2nd coming when it's a very standard session-based action RPG.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

nessin posted:

I'd like to know what game exists that makes you think a very standard session-based action RPG wouldn't be a good and notable thing to have right now?

If it’s good, it’ll be notable! It’s just not there right now, IMO.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Allegiance was cool because at the time it was 128 players or so fighting. It never took off though because it required a monthly fee. Its actually available to still play, its on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/700480/Microsoft_Allegiance/

Holy poo poo I thought I had made this game up in my head. I remember playing this! Such a cool idea.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
This seems like a cool Kickstarter MMO that definitely didn’t make up fake testimonials from press sites.

https://twitter.com/MassivelyOP/status/1663592596055130112?s=20

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I keep checking in on the kickstarter because it’s cracking me up. They keep saying the game is “cloud-based” and then also saying they need money for server hosting costs and infrastructure because “our game is entirely self-hosted”. So what do they think “cloud” means?

Between that and the NFT “mistake”, it made me wonder….is this a blockchain game? Is that what they mean by “cloud”?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Hra Mormo posted:

It's a game by business mans. There is literally no limits to how little business mans can know about tech, including business mans who are supposed to know about tech, and decide where massive tech funding goes.

Except in this case “massive” means “$26,000”.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Man this turned out so much better than just “lol they made up testimonials on their kickstarter”.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

edit: lol at a meeting so bad that four leads quit.

I may be misremembering but I joined the company shortly after this happened and people kept referring to it as the Red Wedding.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Has anyone here played DQX. I saw that it seems to have an actual fanTL now that's not google translate injected into the game so I've been curious.

I tried it out last month; the setup isn’t all that painful because the directions are pretty detailed. The game itself is a turn-based grindfest DQ game, so if that’s your jam you’ll have a great time.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Noise Complaint posted:

Edit 2: Hell someone should just start an MMO HMO Discord at this point for all of us hopeless old people constantly looking for an MMO retirement home.

It’s a law of the internet that whoever ends up having the energy and interest in starting this up and owning it will also eventually turn out to be a racist and/or rear end in a top hat.

But, that would ultimately fit in well with all of us yearning for a new online community only to see it shut down shortly after launch.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

FutureCop posted:

Welp, here I am interested in learning about another MMO. I'd never heard about this until now: what's the deal here? All I'm seeing is videos saying that it's Japan only: is this something like a mod-translated version you're playing? I'm also seeing talk about an offline version? And it looks like FFXI: does that sound accurate?

Japan-only but they didn’t region block it. There’s an English client mod you can install; I believe originally it was all machine-translated but over time the community went back and did it by hand to the point where the first two expansions are fully “done”?

A huge part of the game is completely “free” with an optional subscription, and setting it up was not a hassle if you follow the many guides out there on the internet. Game itself is a fully turn-based MMO, so it’s genuinely just a multiplayer “Dragon Quest” game in that sense.

They did recently announce (or released?) what’s effectively an offline single-player revamp of the MMO, but I believe that’s not getting an English release either.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

I’ve put almost 20 hours into Wayfinder so far, but yeah they have some work ahead of them. The biggest issue I see is just the repetitiveness of the content. Reused dungeons that you repeat on multiple difficulties and use mutators to add flavor. I’m also not a huge fan of the gearing system which just amounts to a weapon you level and add perks to, and 3 trinkets with gem slots basically.

The "level your weapon and add perks to it" is pure Warframe, but Warframe also has hundreds of weapons and you're expected to constantly change to new ones after you finish leveling the old ones. This game certainly doesn't have that yet (and also does not remotely match the pace of Warframe weapon leveling by any means).

Pryce
May 21, 2011

kedo posted:

Sometimes going on a rescue mission to help someone get their corpse, even though it might mean less time in a dungeon, can actually be the more fun and rewarding experience – it's just not rewarding in the same way that a blue drop is rewarding. The dopamine receptors of most MMO gamers are so highly attuned to getting upgrades that anything else is basically ignored.

I mean for all the fair complaints about high-end raiding, FFXIV seems to have this kind of thing consistently present throughout its community since launch. Last week, I tried to recruit some help running through the original raids (which aren't in the random group finder) so I could see the story, and it immediately filled up with people willing to help even though they'd have to sit around doing mostly nothing for upwards of an hour while I watched numerous cutscenes. There are tons of stories of that happening throughout 14, even if it's not necessarily the same group of people as the hardcore raiders.

I am continually shocked regularly at how friendly (on average) people in the game are, and how tolerant they are of letting you enjoy story, or do something boring, and how little people expect in return other than seeing more people in their community have a good time. It's not the 'same' as the oldschool MMO social interactions, but there absolutely is a contingent of 'helping for the sake of helping' or 'paying it forward' that remains in this game.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

an iksar marauder posted:

I don't really care whether only 5%, 10%, or some other percentage of people engage with new endgame content, it's what all the videos contain, it's what the buzz is about, it's where the dev time goes, and most importantly it's where new fashion items drop.

I mean, none of this is true. I get your underlying point, but they go out of their way to explicitly NOT do that. Every single trailer is fully focused on 'the story' and even the multiplayer stuff they show is actually single-player-with-npcs since it's all part of MSQ.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The Titan storyline, possibly the low point of the entire game, is like 1/3-1/4 through ARR. Nowhere near the start of Heavensward.

I think those were two separate sentences. Titan plot was dumb AND the start of Heavensward got them to quit.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Noise Complaint posted:

There was a sweet spot where Rift had some of the most fun dungeon content I've played.

Chloromancer owned.

Rift was my first 'true' MMO experience and holy poo poo it was so good back in its day. Really fun endgame.

I hopped into it last year to see if I could recapture some of that nostalgia and was immediately bombarded with a billion pop-ups about store sales, cash shop incentives, 'loyalty rewards', and I got sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

goons aren't good at games so much as completely obsessive about singular topics.

This is why most of us are still here, I assume.