Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Gunshow Poophole posted:

did this storm spring up out of nowhere or something why wouldn't you bring your furniture indoors

why bother just leave the front door open until your patio umbrella gently floats into your living room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

these hypercanes could be a good way to subsidize public transit by giving everyone a voucher for one of those flying squirrel suits, just suit up and safely ride the winds to work every morning

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I don't see the big deal, if you go into the fire tornado fight with 2 ice rods u can win in 2 rounds

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

lets just hope it makes its way to cat 6 because then its just network cables draped over houses and power lines

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

spacemang_spliff posted:

oh I know all about it, I can't wait to dodge massive potholes until June

I'm hoping this is the last artic vortex of the season. I'm going to need to get into my crawlspace this spring and check the insulation on all of my pipes.

I'm tempted to install heating wires on the pipes in my laundry room since that whole addition was kind of groverhaused and all of the walls are exterior walls, but that means tearing out drywall which I'm not super stoked about doing but I'd have to do anyway if the pipes burst

honestly i'd do it, heating cables are cheaper than replacing pipes and this isn't gonna be the last time it happens

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Milo and POTUS posted:

I feel stupid as hell for asking this but is that celcius or fahrenheit?

hectares

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Luneshot posted:

it's a common misconception that the rubber tires of a car protect you from softball-size hail. actually, the metal frame of the car forms a Faraday cage, safely conducting the hail around you

this also means that in a pinch you can wrap yourself in aluminum foil to defend against megahail, under the same principle as the car frame

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

TehSaurus posted:

Right? I basically just broke my own and I feel like it's already time for another one. I almost started crying, just like outright sobbing about an hour ago but now I've got the insane joker smile back. How does that even work?

I'm contemplating potential career suicide by hassling our corporate sustainability team about their plan for this as if it's anything other than make more computers, faster. Maybe I can convince them to start lobbying for aerosol injection? That will probably matter about as much as my complaining about the treatment of women and blacks etc.

To sum up: lol, lmao

i would like to give you perspective from someone who career suicided trying to do that sort of thing: dont loving do it, it won't matter and the only difference you make will be to your bank account

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Kazinsal posted:

bout 40000 acres of wildfire in BC right now, and some of them are self-perpetuating ones

RIP the PNW, blanketed in a metre of ash

dang it I was gonna move to bc next year but at this rate there won't be a bc in a year

edit: I thought this was the climate change thread but I guess they're pretty similar at the moment, though this thread is a little less bleak

blatman has issued a correction as of 07:42 on Jul 1, 2021

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

im going to drive my lovely ford into the tornado and punch it apart with my hefty fists, saving the entire state from its oppressive winds

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

tactical evacuation means you roll from cover to cover, occasionally poking your head up to see if any of the fire has spotted you or your team yet

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Radirot posted:

in same boat friend. :(

u should be fine if ur in a boat just sail to somewhere cooler

maybe if u line up the sails right u can reach escape velocity and go to europa, sail around there for a bit until we transition from the season of hellfire to the season of insane blizzards

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just call it a boatilla like a normal person

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

please be safe hurricane-goons

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

wheres the link to the stream from the gopro attached to the chickens

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i hope it powers up again over the next 10 episodes and becomes a supercane just in time to defeat freezer america

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

empty whippet box posted:

aaah, just wakin' up. saw someone in this thread said it was just gonna be a big turd of nothing so i decided to keep me and my family of 23 here in grand isle. did I miss anything while I was asleep?

got dang i knew the button guy hosed but thats like an entire raid group

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I skipped something like 80000000 posts, can someone bring me up to speed on the situation with those chickens from earlier? are they okay or have they escaped earths gravity and returned to their home planet

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Crazypoops posted:

I have more respect for the jackass guys than storm chasers

thats probably because the jackass guys actually produce something of some value

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Regarde Aduck posted:

do you actually not understand how circuits work?

power lines are sketchy as poo poo to be around if they're energized, they will arc a surprisingly long distance through u if they smell even the faintest whiff of a voltage disparity

thats why in some circumstances if ur doing hot high voltage work and clamping those ground lines to the power line isnt enough u put on the faraday suit

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no

for real don't drive over or even near downed power lines, your tires aren't insulators and even the surrounding ground can be energized enough to kill you

did you have to learn to do the penguin walk for downed power lines too

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in circuits class they told us to hop with both feet together

because, as i'm sure you know, the differential between your feet if you take a step normally can be enough to send it up through your body

we were taught to do the awkward shuffle where your feet never leave the ground as you shimmy in a half circle sort of thing and your feet are close enough together where you probably won't get a step voltage zap

i'm not sure if yours is better though because the guy who taught mine also told us that a viable way to test if something is live if it's 240v or under is to lick the back of your hand and then tap it to the conductor (the logic being when you get zapped your hand will jerk away to safety, but if you grab the conductor properly then when you get electrocuted your hands will tense up and death-grip whatever you just grabbed)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Zil posted:

Lol to think this all started with us concerned for this idiot

to be fair, if the guy is a literal con artist then a bunch of people falling for his poo poo is completely understandable

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

empty whippet box posted:

gently caress, this is where my parents are. they have been saying it's been chilling out lately though. I am in constant contact.

i hope everything works out okay for them

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

all of the danger of lightning strikes + downed power lines can be avoided entirely with a properly installed and maintained ligma

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Good soup! posted:

lol what the gently caress I go out looking at houses and condos and poo poo and walk around the city drinking a ton and come back to hot takes about dogs and poo poo wtf

we expected ida to wash away the sins of capitalism but it took with it most of the good posts

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

silicone thrills posted:

THE FACT THAT EVERY loving CLIMATE ARTICLE IS COUCHED IN THIS LANGUAGE MAKES ME WANT TO loving DIE.

THE JOBS AND THE MONEY ARE NOT THE loving PROBLEM

edit: ah gently caress this isn't the climate change thread. poo poo. whatever. gently caress it all. gently caress everything

lol I do this too, it doesn't help that every loving thread is a climate thread crossover episode now

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

also iirc the tap water technically isn't kosher because it's brimming with micro-lobsters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copepod

quote:

Copepods are sometimes found in public main water supplies, especially systems where the water is not mechanically filtered,[27] such as New York City, Boston, and San Francisco.[28]

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Bronze Fonz posted:

There's flooding around Gaspé, Québec this morning after the river overflowed... this is right near the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.
My wife is at her son's place over there right now and as I was worried about Larry heading north my wife sent me this:

https://i.imgur.com/MnMxNCK.mp4

Needless to say, there's not supposed to be water visible in this video.
There's evacuations in some parts, city's telling them to stay put for now and that they'll come get them if need be. Water seems to be slowing down.

that's horrifying but also incredibly impressive that you managed to record video using an actual potato

so i guess i'm saying this post is a land of contrasts

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i hope this thread never has an ant derail because if it does it means theres ant hurricanes now

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

tsunami of ants washing over florida

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Zil posted:

Would the horse pasters there die out of fear of the ant swarms?

the mere thought of ants would send them spinning into a shallow grave

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Kazinsal posted:

This makes me think about how I want to see alternative takes on the KFC Double Down.

mcdonalds got ya covered

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Bulgakov posted:

ive long wanted to see big wintertime waves at a beach in hawaii and also see some good erupting. ideally maybe I can surf a huge wave into a pool of lava and be done.

if u plan it right maybe u can surf the ocean wave onto a converging lava wave and then up the volcano where u do a sick flip through all the noxious gasses

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Where’s the ring?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

you missed hurricane ligma but when it loops around u can catch hurricane ligma 2

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Stereotype posted:

I haven’t seen many posts in here so I assume the weather has been pretty good

there is an absolutely tremendous volume of weather right now

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

we are all tumbleweed on this blessed day

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Xenophanes posted:

These are the happiest looking plants I've ever seen. Just a gamboling parade of excited brush.

i have some wisdom to share about these weeds: no matter how much you want to pet them do not pet them they are entirely thorns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

DoombatINC posted:

I always wanted a chimney sweeping log as a kid, even though we didn't have a fireplace, I just saw a lot of ads for them on garbage daytime tv and thought they were neat :shobon:

you were correct and I wanted one too