Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

fun fact, a dew point of around body temp will kill you via drowning as water condenses out of the air onto your alveoli instead of the other way around. i can't imagine the body can survive that for very long

at very low humidity and enough fluids to drink you can survive in pretty extraordinary heat. acclimated people hang out in 200F saunas for half an hour at a time. tbf if you're bundled up you can survive just fine at pretty incredibly low temps too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Another scorcher

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

for anyone interested in an overview of what happened to the oroville dam and how
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxNM4DGBRMU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

here in cspam every week is (watch our) infrastructure (disintegrate) week

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

yeah, no poo poo. it's not been a great year to try to get into mushroom hunting in MN

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Remember they're more scared of you then you are of them. Just make yourself big, make a lot of noise and they should run away.

thank you. next time i am approached by an ef5 i will remember to stand up straight so as to appear greater than two miles across and stretching up into the tropopause.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

chabuduo

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

:thurman:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Lacrosse posted:

Good news: If it fails badly enough (as it total catastrophic failure) then they will have no choice but to fix it

narrator: they didn't fix it

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Nenonen posted:

The key to winter driving is to clear a palm sized spot in the windscreen and pretend you're an U-boat captain navigating by periscope in the middle of an arctic convoy! :mil101:

protip: once you become icebound and start running out of supplies and have to venture out into the tundra for forage, do NOT eat the the polar bear's liver. it will kill you

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

Zero damage to the structure, zero pigs dead. Terrible player.

this isn't the cool zone thread

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Moot .1415926535 posted:

ya it fuckin sucks bring me the niño

your moderator badge is in the mail

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rynn posted:

Sudden temperature swings really gently caress with peoples health too. It can trigger migraines, sinus pressure pain, all kinds of poo poo. And we’ve had a lot of these this winter

I get migraines! from temps!

but no seriously i do and it's been loving bad this year

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i have a tarp counterpoint from the land of the snow experts, minnesota

do you want this to be your car? by my calculations, that is 40 quadrillion tons of snow ripping through the poor metrodome tarp.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

SirPablo posted:

Why didn't anyone try to stop the cars and trucks

actually they did... unfortunately you didn't specify "safely"

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I don't know, as a non-expert that looks like a pretty solid and relevant metric. pablo doesn't seem to be doing any denialism or whatever you're accusing

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the dip being the miles of coastline that will be submerged when the juan de fuca finally releases and slips past the pacific plate?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gunshow Poophole posted:

gently caress you baltimore!!

the home of challenge pissing

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

RandomBlue posted:

that's nuts

:rackem:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Well, QED. Amazing.

Your models aren't reality you idiot mathfucker, they predict reality, except that most of those models are now incapable of predicting reality because they were built for circumstances that no longer exist.

climate is not weather. model forecasts arent dependent on climate, they're dependent on how we know weather works. why are you being such an rear end in a top hat

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

neutral milf hotel posted:

Weatherdammerung 2022: standard deviation not enough for pervert forecaster

lol.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

SirPablo posted:

What's the chance of rain

a good album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6dN1WB8Az0

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Having never watched them, I choose to believe this is a typical daily segment on SkyNews

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Minneapolis also requires AC in the summer

worst of both worlds here, baby!

i guess the heat here really isn't too bad relative to the south. dew point averages around 60 in the summer, with a typical week or two hitting upper 90s-100F. you could survive without a/c as basements are super common, businesses always have a/c, and homes are mostly well insulated, especially relative to pedo island. it would suck though. no heat in winter would definitely kill you

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

duluth stays winning. i may have to bring a sweater for my camping trip next week :yayclod:

TACD posted:

i'm the patch of Colorado hooting and hollering in a cool 52F the whole two weeks

believe it or not there's places in colorado that have snow all year!*

*for now lol

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

neutral milf hotel posted:

that rules. it's like a monument to man's arrogance

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Speedboat, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

So we all raise a standard
to which the wise and honest soul may repair;
to which a hunter,
a hundred years from now,
may look, and despair, and see with wonder
the tributes we have left to rust in the park:
swearing that our hair stood on end,
to see John Purroy Mitchel depart for the Western Front,
where work might count.
All exeunt! All go out!
Await the hunter, to decipher the stone
(and what lies under, now).
The city is gone.
Look, and despair.
Look, and despair.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

climate goes in // weather comes out // that's what osaka seafood concern is all about

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Terraforming California

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

lmfao someone goes through the trouble of actually filming in landscape and they take that footage and shrink it to fit a phone screen in portrait mode. braindead rear end clickbait aggregators

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

Having a meter wide and few miles deep hole wouldn't work well anyway since you'll be limited by the amount of water being able to flow into the hole, so this design wouldn't be able to prevent flooding if there is more water piling up than would go in the hole.

How about a hole few miles wide and a meter deep instead?

thats called a lake

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, but then you're pretty likely to drill too deep and suddenly you're city is over run underground beings of unknowable horror or some such, also unless you dig the hole deep enough so the ground temp will evaporate the water away, that holes just gonna keep filling up with water. Then when it's done you'll just have to dig another hole.

the water hitting the extremely hot rock would create superheated steam which would then geyser back out of the hole, making a fuckin sweet fountain. probably wouldn't be great for holding the water though

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Religion is the ultimate malleable cudgel which can be used to soothe yourself and bludgeon your opponents at all times and without feeling the faintest whiff of hypocrisy.

Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill-needs a savior such as you!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

lol, it's like going into the mass shooting thread and being like "drat, i wish we could get one of those big mass casualty events, it's been too quiet lately"

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

arguing for climate accelerationism and personal responsibility is even worse than just wanting hurricanes because you're bored and they look cool and exciting

like who do you think suffers when those darn capitalists decide to take their ball and go north?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

where can i buy the climate refugee strategy guide

prima used to sell this in best buy, but i think nowadays everyone just goes on prepper forums for the pro strats

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

this is what ggg gets for nerfing double-dipping

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i am harry posted:

that guy drew like 25 different cat butts and then sold them to nasa, rip a true legend

i think your cat might be sick

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Sick cats is just how a lot of good science is made. The life hack meteorologists don't want you to know!!!

Dr.... Rat? I don't even want to know why you're so excited about sick cats

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I can set up cots in my apartment!

classic iron crowned post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i'm looking for bimbogenesis