Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

After so many instances of devs insisting their obviously political games are not political it's nice to see one from a major publisher that doesn't split hairs.

Can't wait to turn Daniel into a mini Magneto and blow away some chuds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The guilt Sean feels for leaving Lyla behind is really dramatically interesting and relatable. I liked her, but her absence is really poignant and I don't want to lose that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Presumably, the woman in the picture is Sean and Daniel's mom.

Why would you think that?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Stuff about upcoming episodes

Is it me being lame that I really wish you'd spoilered all this?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I hope one day we can solve the mystery of why the bad guys in this game about racism are white.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Orange Sunshine posted:

Yes, it was a good idea to make all the white people racists and villains.*

*Except this one guy

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Torgo2727 posted:

What does this next game have?
My dad has never been shot by police. I have never been on the run from police and living in the wilderness. Nothing like this has ever happened to me. The dad is killed within about 10 minutes, was I supposed to care about that guy? The first game waited until the end of episode 2 for it's first "Oh drat," moment. How am I supposed to put myself in this story? Furthermore, I don't care to get lectured by the French about domestic / social issues, but that's just me.

I thought the game did a great job of getting you to care about the Dad, even with his minimal time on screen.

Aside from the conversations with him, there's a tonne of stuff in the house (and Sean's comments on them) that fills out his character.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lyra being established a good and likeable character means it's better to keep her off screen. You need to empathise with the boys missing their old lives and she's one of the few ways the game can do that. I hope she doesn't come back.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

That was by far the best episode yet. I enjoyed eps 1 and 2 but wasn't really super engaged with the plot, but now I really want to see what's going to happen.

BTW, highly recommend flicking back through Sean's journal to see what the boys got up in between episodes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Cassidy, a woman who I assumed is in her mid 20s at least

I figured she was at most 18/19.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I liked the episode, but it was kind of annoying how autonomous Sean is in it. He keeps yelling stuff out that I definitely wouldn't have chosen to say. I know I'm not really making story changing decisions here, but at least let me pretend I'm in control.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My respect for Karen skyrocketed when I saw what her idea of a 'diversion' is.

:black101:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Shame it looks like an Xbox exclusive

It'll almost certainly be on PC too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I can't believe how many of you wusses chose surrender.

Overall I thought this was a pretty mediocre follow-up to LiS and BtS. I appreciate the politics of it and the basic idea of an odyssey on which you encounter all sorts of interesting characters and influence an NPC rather than make choices yourself.

But the execution was a bit rubbish. Moving from place to place and meeting a new cast of characters each episode means you don't really form any connection to where you are. The lack of an antagonist also really hurts the game. Agent Flores could be that, but she's pretty much a non-character. I also got the ending where Daniel jumps out of the car for no obvious reason, which got me a happy ending but I couldn't for the life of me understand why he did that.

It's kind of telling that the most emotional response I had to the whole five episodes was briefly meeting a minor character from the first two series.

However, I did like how they gradually made Daniel look like Tetsuo, so there's that at least.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 4, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Karpaw posted:

So Sean & Daniel are supposed to be the "Wolves" of this episode? I think the game could have elucidated that more, it wasn't really clear.

Hahahahaha.

I thought the illustrated wolves story at the beginning got increasingly lazy as the game went on.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Eshettar posted:

How do you mean?

Well it starts as a parable about wolves on the run, but then they just kind of give up on the metaphor and just show wolves hanging out at a motel and coyotes running some kind of church.

It felt like they realized that crowbarring the story into a realistic animal adventure wasn't going to work, so just put wolves and coyotes in place of the human characters.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Really enjoyed the first Tell Me Why and am jazzed that it's coming out weekly. As the brother of a trans person I wished there was a little bit more guilt about accidental deadnaming and family tension etc but perhaps it's coming in future episodes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, what’s the actual gameplay like? Is it pretty similar to the Life is Strange series?

It's practically identical.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Do you have a “power” of sorts? And if so, how does it work?

Also are there any kind of optional collectables like the photos/graffiti/souvenirs from the LiS series?

Yes (telepathy between twins and the ability to conjure exact 3D memories).

And yes (small wooden toys).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really liked how you earn Sam's respect if you stand up for yourself and call him out on his backhanded compliment..

e: https://kotaku.com/tell-me-whys-first-episode-is-too-real-1844867529 v good article by Riley MacLeod

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 28, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any LiS alumni (or notable actors in general) among Tell Me Why’s voice cast?

Not that I'm aware after having checked but... you know you could just look this up for yourself right?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ep 2 was a bit of a let down after Ep 1. Didn't feel like anyone of the revelations were particularly interesting and nothing much seemed to happen. Also the whole archive search minigame was boring as gently caress.

But sad that nobody else seems to be playing this as it pretty much is Life is Strange 3.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

So if anyone's played the Tell Me Why finale are there multiple endings like in the LiS series? If so, does it all come down to one big choice at the end or are there other factors that determine what you get?

There's one big choice at the end, then little things in the each ending change depending on some of the smaller decisions you've made along the way.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Wrote a review of Tell Me Why: https://pixelhunted.wordpress.com/2020/09/11/tell-me-why-pc-2020/

Thought it was great and basically a must-play if you're a fan of Life is Strange. It's way more limited in scope (and probably budget) than other DontNod games but that works in its favour. I also think it deals with Tyler really well as while his character is informed by being trans he's never defined by it.

I hope we get more three-episode weekly release games from DontNod like this. A huge improvement on LiS2.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Also while I haven’t found any video footage of this yet, according to a user on Reddit there’s another possible ending you can get:

Edit: Found a video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=n6y8cytpgec

drat, that's a lot of effort put into an ending that most people won't get.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I wonder how badly the MS exclusively hit them

They probably got the dev costs secured and a decent payout for putting it on Gold, so I reckon they did okay.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

I wonder if it would be possible for a Life is Strange game to ever come out/be ported to a Nintendo console someday (unless Square had some kind of exclusivity agreement with Sony and Microsoft or something). Come to think of it, could the Switch even run most of the games?

The Switch is running a passable port of DOOM Eternal - pretty sure it could handle a LiS game.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 2, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

Is there a particular reason why the LiS series hasn’t been released on a Nintendo console so far then?

Not sure - there are already Android/iOS ports so the first LiS wouldn't be a difficult game to port over.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

Mushroom dying turned me off the game entirely

DontNod realizing too late that they might have to account for a dog being present or not throughout the rest of the game and figuring the best course of action would be to kill him asap speaks volumes as to how far they plan this poo poo out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

I think it might have been a last minute decision too (there’s some official art out there of Mushroom at the Reynolds’ house and playing with Chris)

I like to imagine the animation director's face when they realised the writers may have committed them to 4 episodes of animating a dog that may or not be present at all times.