Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

The casual roleplaying, sense of community, and general atmosphere back in the day combined to make something I don't think I have experienced in any game since. I remember having friends that had chipped in to buy me Grid Armor 4 for my birthday one year, and one of those Syndicate Messenger SMG's another time for my higher level fixer. I don't think I ever hit 220, maybe 218 or something on my fixer, 210 or something on a soldier, but I remember those last levels taking forever but a 215 or so was essentially not much different then a 220 if your gear was decent.

I also remember having I believe a 60 martial artist twink, I think 60 was the max level to get into Temple of The Three Winds, and I got that character decked out in that pink MA dress and a bunch of good gear and implants. Then just terminating whenever getting close to leveling. I could solo everything in there without too much effort, which was a feat back then, and I whenever a friend needed that tank armor, some of the weapons, or those NCU drops I would always give them run throughs and thoroughly enjoyed it was proud to have a character that could do it.

That sense of community was something else, and I remember not only running my friends through ToTw but just logging on out there on that MA and running strangers through just for the fun of it and to be helpful, and people being genuinely grateful.

Lots of people had regular "hang out spots" where you could usually find them, just sitting around chatting was a legitimate way to "play the game". Running around exploring and soaking up the atmosphere gave me a genuine sense of awe and wonder, and there was tons of cool stuff to find out in the middle of no where that they put in the game you would never find without just wandering around. Good times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I have a lot of fond memories of this game, mostly from playing with a good group of friends and meeting some online ones too, one that is still a good buddy of mine. I had a bunch of nostalgia stuff I thought about typing up, but it would be quite a bit, maybe another time. I've got stories, hah.

Anyhow, I remember making a free account after I had stopped playing for some reason I don't remember a long time ago and gave up after out leveling my gear to the point that I was running grey missions just to try to get credits or a drop or something to get a weapon or more credits to run green missions and gave up. It was definitely easier and more fun playing with friends, trying to buff into gear without a support network was near impossible in comparison. Is this still the case?

Also, could I renew an account that had characters beyond level 200 on the free to play program and still play those characters outside of Shadowlands and Alien stuff or whatever? Or play some of my decked-out sub 200 characters on that account despite having a few over 200? I'm guessing the answer is no, and chances are those characters were lost to time over a decade ago, and there's probably only like half a dozen people reading this thread, but worth asking!

For fun, cross posting from another thread recently, where someone mentioned that Funcom is making a new game in the Dune universe:

Twenty Four posted:

Funcom is making Anarchy Online 2? Yes, I am joking, sort of.

A couple people got excited or thought it was amusing, and a couple asked what I meant, and I said:

Twenty Four posted:

Anarchy Online is a game made by Funcom, and has a setting on a far away inhospitable planet in the future where a corporation colonizes the lands and battle locals for the ability to mine the world for notum, an extraordinarily expensive resource found only on that planet, whereas Dune is a game being made by Funcom and has a setting on a far away inhospitable planet in the future where corporations houses colonize the lands and battle locals for the ability to mine the world for notum spice, an extraordinarily expensive resource found only on that planet. The Dune trailer was posted in this thread, and the similarities seemed obvious to me. Maybe they will make an Avatar game next, lol.

I know way more about AO then I do about Dune, and was generalizing for comedic value, but I thought it was funny. :)

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Cross posting something AO related from another thread again. Nothing special really but I figured why not post it here too, in the AO thread. Maybe someone will have some memories or a take on this.

Twenty Four posted:

While not survival related, the "people raiding your base while you are offline or doing something else" chat reminded me of Anarchy Online from years ago. Getting a call from a friend at some ungodly hour or inconvenient time because your organization's base was getting attacked was simultaneously exciting and annoying. People would intentionally schedule raids at odd hours just to take advantage of that, and grudges were formed, and that sucked. On one hand there were "safe hours" where your base was invulnerable, but that could be negated by someone in your org accidentally attacking another base and all hell broke loose. Trying to do damage control politics was stupid. So was dropping everything to rush out to defend just to find it was some noob that didn't know what they were doing was a waste of time as well. The end result of it all usually was some sort of cold war stalemate situation where everyone left each other alone for fear of retaliation.

The things that were fun about it though was PvP was level bracketed, so there were "sweet spot" levels, where you could attack certain ranges of other players but be unattackable by others, so leaving PvP "twinks" logged out at your base and having a call to arms and wrecking some people that thought they were going to waltz in and destroy your towers was pretty enjoyable. Also, other than some mild almost negligible buffs, there wasn't much to be gained by having a base other than bragging rights and the opportunity to PvP, so losing a base wasn't really a big deal beyond the annoyance or piss off factor.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

To be fair, tower buffs can often be key in doing some of the more disgusting twinking you can do

Yeah agreed that tower buffs had their use, like in that case, but it probably wasn't going to ruin your character at like level 200+ or whatever. I always tried to keep some small amount of spare IP in reserve in case something somehow went sideways or to compensate for some sort of gear change especially on regular play characters. I do rarely remember friends not being able cast some nanos because they lost a tower, or putting specific towers down to unlock something, but I tended to play it a little more safe so I wouldn't be caught with my pants down, so to speak.

In context of what the other conversation was about, it was along the lines of games where you have a real "home base" that people online could wreck while you were offline and it would completely mess up your game, where your base is sort of the point of the game. Whereas in AO PvP towers were more there for the sake of PvP than being your in-game end goal, and the tower buffs felt like they were meant to be a nice little bonus.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Fixers are pretty fun, probably my most played and favorite character. Level 217 or something out of 200 from base game and 220 from the expansion? Those last few levels only make a small difference and take forever. Anyhow, yeah it's a really old game and I haven't played in years but I have fond memories. To answer a few questions with some possibly outdated answers:

FrostyPox posted:

It's my understanding Fixers are mostly crowd control, speed buffs, and blasting poo poo with SMGs. They can also jack into the Matrix which.... I don't know what that does. Anything else I should know about them?

For crowd control, I guess they have roots and snares, but unless you are blitzing something (running through missions ignoring enemies just trying to "blitz" for the reward item) damage can break roots pretty quickly. I rarely used roots or snares much in practice other than occasional blitzing. As an Opifex fixer (good choice) maxing agility and stacking you evade skills will let you evasion tank a lot of stuff making the CC stuff mostly pointless, especially with grid armor or a set of other good armor (I had GA4 but mostly used the set of Azure raid armor with Syndicate Shades for style I had because grid armor didn't work in shadow lands because of dumb reasons). I could evasion tank with my HoT's as all the healing I needed other then maybe an occasional emergency backup heal doing the Heckler mobs of all levels in shadow lands that people grouped up for leveling as well or better than a proper tank, just a bit more spiky damage wise because you rarely get hit but when you do it hurts a bit more especially if you get unlucky with a few hits in a row.

For buffs, the big ones are the speed and evasion (gridspace freedom or GSF is the last one if I remember correctly), NCU (how many programs you can run at once, memory basically), and the "long" and "short" heal over time (HoT's, later in game the long ones can last like half an hour, the short ones a few minutes, and you can run both at once). Of course your self SMG buff. Also the ability to "grid out", or enter the grid, a fast travel system, almost instantly, initially for you, and later for your whole team, can be a life saver if things get to be too much. It also helps you and your friends get places much faster, as there can be quite a bit of travel in the game, which also makes fast fixers convenient. There's a separate fixer special grid, or Fgrid, that gives you even more travel options with additional exit points.

SMGs, as you stated, are the primary weapon of choice, with burst typically being the most common "special attack".
https://anarchyonline.fandom.com/wi...%20More%20items is a good list of fixer weapons, and I think my progression was using OT Kerrans Automatic Grinners for cheap leveling because they were easy to get and equip, and had a fast fire and recharge rate which let you slide your bar further towards the defensive setting without affecting fire rate. Later in teams where I could go full aggression on the slider I used a QL200 Manex Catastrophe December. With shadowlands expansion, the Syndicate Messenger gun was my gun, and with the alien expansion I used a pair of those Kyr'Ozch machine pistols modified with burst and fling shot (type 5) on that list.

Again, I stopped playing a little while after the Alien Invasion expansion, so some of my info might be outdated or misremembered, if anyone has corrections or additions, I'd love to hear them if anything because I enjoy reminiscing about this game.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I'm thinking on creating a free account and see if I can get back into it or if it's all nostalgia, likely going to make a little fixer myself. I'd probably be going Omni-Tek since that's what I used to play with my friends, and it has the most benefits, unless the few people here still playing are overwhelmingly Clanners then I might consider that, but probably sticking with Omni. Anyone still here entirely one way or the other on that currently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Worf posted:

Funcom is doing a new sci fi mmo in an existing IP and it is not ao2

(Dune)

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

i don’t understand those are the same thing

I said come in! posted:

An Anarchy Online 2 would be so awesome.

Here's some stuff I posted joking around here like.. a year and a half ago? lol

Twenty Four posted:

Funcom is making Anarchy Online 2? Yes, I am joking, sort of.

Twenty Four posted:

Anarchy Online is a game made by Funcom, and has a setting on a far away inhospitable planet in the future where a corporation colonizes the lands and battle locals for the ability to mine the world for notum, an extraordinarily rare resource found only on that planet, whereas Dune is a game being made by Funcom and has a setting on a far away inhospitable planet in the future where corporations houses colonize the lands and battle locals for the ability to mine the world for notum spice, an extraordinarily rare resource found only on that planet. Maybe they will make an Avatar game next, lol.

Like I said, just messing around, making broad generalizations on purpose for comedy. However, I feel like a bunch of companies could make a Dune game, but I'd be more excited about AO2, so I wish they went with that instead. I know it's the opposite of popular opinion, but I probably won't play the Dune game unless my friends do, but almost certainly would have played AO2 and so would they. I actually just stumbled upon a new trailer posted recently, and right after happened to check this thread, so here's that if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S-l7NySFsI

At least the indoors parts look a little different, otherwise I expect endless sand dunes with some rock outcroppings here and there to get pretty old.