Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

El Mero Mero posted:

anyone here played Starlink? Is it any good?

It's fun in short bursts, because I hate excel spreadsheet games.

If you love excel spreadsheet games, you'll really like it.

But don't buy it until it's on sale. I got the huge StarFox bundle for $22 at Best Buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's an excel spreadsheet game?

Monster Hunter World, Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky, _____ Souls

poo poo where you grind for a thousand hours to get hundreds of different pieces to craft one item that is part of a tier of upgrades.

Games where playing them is basically the same thing as having a second job.

Rolo posted:

Ok cool, actually I think I’ll just play Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild again anyways because it’s the best game of all time.

Rolo posted:

Ok cool, actually I think I’ll just play DOOM (2016) again anyways because it’s the best game of all time.

I can never decide.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Elman posted:

I don't think Dark Souls is one of those. Monster Hunter doesn't have to be one either, unless you want it to.

Also I literally used an Excel spreadsheet to map out the levels in La Mulana 2 :shobon:

I'm old and cranky. I like straightforward stuff like DOOM and Wolfenstein and Metroidvania.

Just give me my new gear. I don't want to fuss around in menus.

Breath of the Wild is about the extent of my patience for accounting simulators.

"You need 3 X parts to get the ninja outfit".

"Ok, those are over here. Be right back, lovely 40 foot tall drag queen."

Stuff like No Man's Sky where it takes a week of farming and resource management and crafting to put a new booster engine on your ship is my idea of gaming hell. Minecraft is literally what awaits me in hell. I know people love that stuff, and I'm not dragging them for liking it, but that is SO not my thing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I just saw FF7 Redux in the shop and LMAO it's not updated at all, it's still blocks with jagged parts.

I figured after 15 years of people demanding it they'd at least make it look like the PS3 era games.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Elderbean posted:

I like FF7s janky charm :kiddo:
If those horrifying mobile ports of FF6 are any indication of what an update looks like I'd rather stick the the low res stuff.

Oh yeah, I mean, I love simple artwork stuff, too. I'm just kind of amazed that the most over hyped game in the industry, from a studio that loves jerking itself off over graphics, stuck with ultra-simplistic 90's polygon art.

Like I would have bet solid money on it looking at least like the new Resident Evil 2.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They're doing a full remake, theoretically, it just won't be out till like 2024... conservatively

Ah, well, nevermind.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I wish Nintendo would knock off the horseshit and just let me give them money for Metroid Prime again.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Breakable weapons owns because sometimes you're fighting a tough character and your final blow is also the one that breaks your weapon and it's really satisfying to see yourself hit a monster so hard with your axe that your axe explodes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Count me amongst the disposable income dipshits who would drop $300 on a non-portable 4K 60FPS Switch or a $400 portable that can do 4K60 docked and something close in tablet mode.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ItBreathes posted:

If I've got BotW, Odyssey, and Smash, what's the 4th best switch game that didn't come out for the WiiU?

DOOM

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Broforce would be the best game of all time if not for DOOM.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Dr Cheeto posted:

I had a similar reaction. It seems like something that plays extremely well in co-op, but I didn't think it was anything special in single player.

That's exactly it. It's fun in single player. It's a god drat hoot in multiplayer.

We've probably put well over a hundred hours into it in the last two years.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Is Reggie retiring or moving to some other company?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I kind of want to see Reggie go work at a mutual fund or insurance lobby and never get any laughs from the rich gargoyles in his press events. The only likable executive in America just slowly realizing it's the people and not the money that gave him joy.

A Christmas Carol 2, if you will.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL Stadia

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There was definitely a shrine where I smacked something with stasis, stood on top of it and skipped the actual puzzle

Probably more than once

My favorite was the tilt control ball rolling one. I figured out on my own you could turn the whole thing upside down and roll the ball on the flat bottom surface.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
D3 retails for $60 and Rabbids is around $15 used and frequently on sale at Best Buy for $20.

Definitely go with the one that won't drop in price for a year.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Imagined posted:

99.9% of the thousands of pieces of loot the game throws at you every minute are worse than garbage and if you stop to look at every single one you will never actually be playing the game hth

This is the correct answer.

The only loot worth picking up is marked in red containers or has colorful auras.

loving lockers and toilets and boxes have like $13 in them which is basically a penny once you're past level 10.

e: thought I was in the Borderlands thread, lol

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
What kind of nerd even has friends to play with

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Half off DOOM?

Time to tell everyone to buy DOOM.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If I accidentally bought one I would legit be pissed.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ColdPie posted:

There's a thousand interesting, fun, and varied games DOOM to play, don't waste your life on loving Diablo 3 and Skyrim.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Detective No. 27 posted:

Give me a dense world than a sparse open one anyday. It's why Yakuza's world is more fascinating than GTA maps.

This. Skyrim, GTA5, Red Dead Redemption 2, and Metal Gear 5 have maps WAY bigger than they need to be.

Horizon Zero Dawn is one of the few BIG MAPS games where a long travel is a pain in the rear end because that means effort instead of boredom.

And Zelda BotW could have been twice as large and still felt majestic as gently caress to traverse.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

THE loving MOON posted:

I loved having all those Koroks there, I'm just glad Im not enough of a completionist to be driven crazy by them

I will never stop loving that the reward for being a weirdo that collects them all is you're given a big shiny poo.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Guilty posted:

This thread is just basically 'vindicate my terrible switch purchase' isn't it?

Stop having fun this instant, everyone. <:mad:>

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

RBA Starblade posted:

Things to do:

- go check out that lightning plateau that's always stormy

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

bowmore posted:

oof the portable mode looks rough

That was really lovely capture equipment. You could see the text in the menus was glowing with insane halos that made the letters look fat. Probably recorded on a phone.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That was literally a camera/phone pointed at the screen while in portable mode.

Its gonna look bad when you record a screen

Yeah, if you're gonna try to have a review channel for handheld games maybe learn to set your camera's ISO and whatnot.

Because this looks wildly awful and not representative of you saying in the voice-over "it looks great in handheld".

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

I don't even play the fire emblem characters in Smash :colbert:

Is that what the 10 identical anime characters are?

I always deliberately lose to them in unlock battles so I don't have to look at them in my roster.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Imagined posted:

This is a thread where people claim to not recognize Scarlett Johansson and Chris Evans, people who've been in dozens of the biggest movies of the last decade, after all. Like, forget "doesn't follow pop culture". These people don't even look around them in public.

If you can't tell apart 10 anime characters in goth armor from video games you've never played you should probably be executed for the good of humanity.

I mean just go to any public place in America and ask any random stranger "hey, who is Chrom?" and I guarantee you 10 out of 10 people will get it right.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Imagined posted:

You're right. It's good to deliberately have zero awareness of what exists around you. You're normal and I'm definitely the weird one.

My dude, you're throwing a tantrum because someone doesn't recognize an anime character from a 7th tier handheld video game franchise and thinking that's absolutely impossible in this day and age.

Take a deep breath and think about how, despite your bad analogies, 99% of people don't care about your dumb anime.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol fire emblem is definitely one of the higher tiered Nintendo titles.

Don’t be dumb for a tepid own.

Again, ask anyone to name the video game characters.

Mario and Chrom are on equal footing.

Stop being disingenuous, Hodor. Everyone in America knows Chrom. Chrom is every bit as ubiquitous in pop culture as McDonald's and The Avengers. Saying otherwise is dumb.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 13, 2019

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Mods, help, I'm being gaslit by weebs.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

If you can tell Mario and Luigi apart you can tell Marth and Ike apart.

Who are Marth and Ike?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah they own fire emblem games because they don’t have the very weird hang ups goons tend to have around this subject.

Like you can look at the numbers if you don’t believe me. The fire emblem 3ds games sold insanely well.

Fire Emblem tearing up the charts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Switch_video_games

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

They.....they haven’t released a fire emblem for the switch.

Are you trolling or something

LMAO "how do you not recognize famous Nintendo switch character Chrom from the game that doesn't exist?"

My dude. Take a nap. No one likes your niche anime. It's ok to admit it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Pleased to announce that, using anime math, Alita: Battle Engine made exactly as much money as The Force Awakens.

"We have all seen Alita and are equally as aware of it as the Star Wars brand" reports every American.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Volte posted:

Which series would you not recognize the characters from after playing two of the games?

Mario and Luigi.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You should recognize Scarlet Johansson from the movie The Island, which owned and was a big inspiration for the Portal games.

I recognize The Island for being that movie that got rightfully sued by the owners of Parts: The Clonus Horror.

I know ScarJo from Under the Skin and Avengers.

e: Under the Skin is loving dope, btw

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Live Free posted:

intentionally not unlocking Marth so my character select screen only shows the good and well-knosn characters like ROB, the dog from Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Lucas, and Richter.

:hfive:

RandomFerret posted:

Wait, that wasn't a remake? They had the exact same plot! How did they think they were going to get away with that?

IDK but the film was lambasted by horny nerds for cutting ScarJo's nude scene, it was sued for ripping off Clonus Horror, accounting for the theater cut and advertising it was a huge flop earning $162M on a $130M budget, and the funniest part was Bay recycled footage from it in Transformers 2.

Technical Analysis posted:

There is only one Krom, and if you cannot answer the Riddle of Steel, He will laugh you out of His mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I've only played part of Pokemon Let's Go and it's definitely better than Avengers 1 and 2 by a significant margin.